Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 4, 19, 12:57 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,780
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Location-wise, that's an interesting choice. It's right in the middle of some of the busiest real estate in Kyoto, not sure how "peaceful" the Kyoto experience is going to be. And it has no views or gardens that I can see. At least the Westin, for all its many flaws, has a beautiful Japanese wing with a garden and views of the city.
Talk about interesting! I dare say your comment is one of the most interesting in the thread. Ninenzaka was already packed with people even before the current "inbound" flood. But maybe that is what many tourist crave (including the most upscale), just as they are attracted to Ginza (moths to a flame?). I assume the views will be primarily naka-no-niwa or yasaka-no-to. As for the Westin, we've always found it to be more Miyako than Westin, which is maybe as it should be. Disliked the overstuffed furniture and the shower curtain in a Club room, but the hanare in winter was on par with a deep-country ryokan; a recommended experience for visitors who do not have the opportunity to really get out of the cities.

Accolades for saying something controversial! I daresay it may have been the only time I've seen anyone say anything complimentary about the Westin-Miyako Kyoto in the Hyatt forum.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:12 pm
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 10,200
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Talk about interesting! I dare say your comment is one of the most interesting in the thread. Ninenzaka was already packed with people even before the current "inbound" flood. But maybe that is what many tourist crave (including the most upscale), just as they are attracted to Ginza (moths to a flame?). I assume the views will be primarily naka-no-niwa or yasaka-no-to. As for the Westin, we've always found it to be more Miyako than Westin, which is maybe as it should be. Disliked the overstuffed furniture and the shower curtain in a Club room, but the hanare in winter was on par with a deep-country ryokan; a recommended experience for visitors who do not have the opportunity to really get out of the cities.

Accolades for saying something controversial! I daresay it may have been the only time I've seen anyone say anything complimentary about the Westin-Miyako Kyoto in the Hyatt forum.
Why thank you, if I say so myself. The Kasui-en at the Westin Miyako was designed by Murano Togo and is listed as an "Important Cultural Property" by Kyoto City. It's got gorgeous bones, and after the renovation is finished in Q2 2020 it should be a really nice place to stay and give all of these newfangled Japanesque arrivistes (Suiran, FS, PHK) a good run for their money.

And about your comment about the Ginza, it may attract the visitors, but the upscale ones don't really stay there. The last high-end luxury in the Ginza itself, the Seiyo Ginza, closed years ago.
Pickles is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:34 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,780
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Why thank you, if I say so myself. The Kasui-en at the Westin Miyako was designed by Murano Togo and is listed as an "Important Cultural Property" by Kyoto City. It's got gorgeous bones, and after the renovation is finished in Q2 2020 it should be a really nice place to stay and give all of these newfangled Japanesque arrivistes (Suiran, FS, PHK) a good run for their money.

And about your comment about the Ginza, it may attract the visitors, but the upscale ones don't really stay there. The last high-end luxury in the Ginza itself, the Seiyo Ginza, closed years ago.
Japanesque arrivistes! I like that! Still, are you not interested in trying out the PH Kyoto? Especially at 30,000 pts? (Which to me translates into 60,000 yen, the top end of my budget, so I'll never get to personally compare it vs. the RC and FS). A couple of nights and you wouldn't even have to venture about among the hoi polloi on ninenzaka. (I'm afraid my Giza comment was a poorly aimed sideways shot at those advocating the Centric Ginza over any other Tokyo Hyatt; mea culpa).
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:44 pm
  #169  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 10,200
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Japanesque arrivistes! I like that! Still, are you not interested in trying out the PH Kyoto? Especially at 30,000 pts? (Which to me translates into 60,000 yen, the top end of my budget, so I'll never get to personally compare it vs. the RC and FS). A couple of nights and you wouldn't even have to venture about among the hoi polloi on ninenzaka. (I'm afraid my Giza comment was a poorly aimed sideways shot at those advocating the Centric Ginza over any other Tokyo Hyatt; mea culpa).
30K per night for this hotel sounds like a bargain to me, even if I have to do battle with the riff-raff on my way to my Toyota Century limo. But my good man Tanaka can provide cover, his bowler hat is tipped with a poisonous metal plate.
Pickles is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:18 am
  #170  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
I'll only ever stay here on points at 30k so I don't really care, but that's baffling to me. That's supposed to compete with Suiran and the Ritz-Carlton? Good luck.
I don't know what the PH Kyoto onsen set up will be like, but Suiran only offers onsen access in the spa (you need to get a treatment to use it) and I believe the Presidential Suite (and possibly other suites?) also has a private open-air onsen, so its not readily accessible to all guests. Of course, Suiran has no pool either, but you wouldn't expect one there anyway. It also has a super tiny fitness room, which I wouldn't have expected either. That said, I'd say its main draws are its location and temple-like grounds. Frankly, the standard rooms are below what I would expect from a Category 8 hotel. Other than that, it's perfectly charming hybrid ryokan-hotel. If the PH Kyoto can offer an onsen that is accessible to all guest for free or at a nominal cost, that's a significant amenity, since Japanese guests are far more likely to use it than a pool.
Nagasaki Joe is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:43 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
I don't know what the PH Kyoto onsen set up will be like, but Suiran only offers onsen access in the spa (you need to get a treatment to use it) and I believe the Presidential Suite (and possibly other suites?) also has a private open-air onsen, so its not readily accessible to all guests. Of course, Suiran has no pool either, but you wouldn't expect one there anyway. It also has a super tiny fitness room, which I wouldn't have expected either. That said, I'd say its main draws are its location and temple-like grounds. Frankly, the standard rooms are below what I would expect from a Category 8 hotel. Other than that, it's perfectly charming hybrid ryokan-hotel. If the PH Kyoto can offer an onsen that is accessible to all guest for free or at a nominal cost, that's a significant amenity, since Japanese guests are far more likely to use it than a pool.
Every room at Suiran which is deluxe or above has a private open-air onsen. The base two categories don't. Agreed on the base rooms quality given it's a cat8, I would never stay in them.

The post I responded to said that there's no pool and no onsen, so I don't understand your closing sentence. My comment was that having neither would be such a glaring omission for a luxury hotel. However, at 30k points dumped in from Chase UR and not being a Hyatt elite, I can personally forgive it. But if I was paying 100k yen like I do at Suiran and the RC it would be a deal breaker.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 5, 19 at 12:51 am
nexusCFX is online now  
Old Oct 5, 19, 1:00 am
  #172  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Every room at Suiran which is deluxe or above has a private open-air onsen. The base two categories don't. Agreed on the base rooms quality given it's a cat8, I would never stay in them.

The post I responded to said that there's no pool and no onsen, so I don't understand your closing sentence.
The quote was "no pool and onsen on-site" so I guess I thought the no applied to the "no pool" and that there was an "onsen on-site". I guess I would have said "no pool or onsen onsite," I think the "and" threw me off. That's a whole different story then. It'll be interesting to see what the PH Kyoto's final list of amenities will be. When I reserved at Suiran, it was not clear to me that Deluxe rooms had open-air onsen, otherwise I would have reserved one. What a waste (fortunately, I stayed on points, but still a waste). Now I know, thanks.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Oct 5, 19 at 1:06 am Reason: Add information
Nagasaki Joe is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 1:01 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
The quote was "no pool and onsen on-site" so I guess I thought the no applied to the "no pool" and that there was an "onsen on-site". I guess I would have said "no pool or onsen onsite," I think the "and" threw me off. That's a whole different story then. It'll be interesting to see what the PH Kyoto's final list of amenities will be. When I reserved at Suiran, it was not clear to me that Deluxe rooms had open-air onsen, otherwise I would have reserved one. What a waste. Now I know, thanks.
Reading it again, maybe you've got it right and I've got it wrong. The post ends with "so what we get for this hotel by paying so much" which is why I read it as "no pool, no onsen".
nexusCFX is online now  
Old Oct 5, 19, 1:58 am
  #174  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,780
The PH Kyoto does not have an onsen.

Central Kyoto is not an onsen area. You can't just create an onsen just because you want one. And it is obviously not possible to run several km of pipe or even longer to get access to the nearest onsen source. There are only a small number of hotels in central Kyoto that do have an onsen, none of them even mid-level properties,

Nor is there a large public bath at PH. But of course neither the RC nor the FS has a large public bath either.

I think the best one could hope for at the PH would be rooms with a nice hinoki bathtub with a view of a bit of garden, but that is not likely in the base level rooms.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 5:33 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 30
bug standard price for C+P

hi all, I'm visiting Japan for the maple Leaf season during thanksgiving. I just check the PH kyoto, looks like I can pay 24000pts + 561$ per night for the park suite. I know for standard suite C+P price the rate should be half of the standard rate. But the standard rate of the park suite during my stay would be 1664$, so am I getting a steal in this case?
matrix8452 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 6:42 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,780
Originally Posted by matrix8452 View Post
hi all, I'm visiting Japan for the maple Leaf season during thanksgiving. I just check the PH kyoto, looks like I can pay 24000pts + 561$ per night for the park suite. I know for standard suite C+P price the rate should be half of the standard rate. But the standard rate of the park suite during my stay would be 1664$, so am I getting a steal in this case?
If you have the pts you might want to consider 48,000 pts/night for the suite. I imagine the US$561 you mention is not including T&S, which would push it up to about US$720, which is pretty good redemption for 24,000 pts.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:46 am
  #177  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
Posts: 119
We're getting closer to opening, I secured a reservation for Kyoyamato during our stay. But not all the paperwork is ready yet. I did confirm Kyoyamato is an ineligible outlet for earning Hyatt Points. But this is not too surprising.
Neric is offline  
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:38 am
  #178  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,886
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
If you have the pts you might want to consider 48,000 pts/night for the suite. I imagine the US$561 you mention is not including T&S, which would push it up to about US$720, which is pretty good redemption for 24,000 pts.
Did Hyatt opened up the option to reserve suites with points? Iíve only seen regular room being offered for points
blitzen is offline  
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:44 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,106
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Did Hyatt opened up the option to reserve suites with points? Iíve only seen regular room being offered for points
Don't you have to call in to book suites with points?
nexusCFX is online now  
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:33 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,780
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Did Hyatt opened up the option to reserve suites with points? I’ve only seen regular room being offered for points
As nexusCFX posted, you have to contact Hyatt to book a suite on points, and you also have to contact Hyatt to book a suite on a P+C rate. Since the OP is saying they have been quoted a P+C rate for a suite, they must have contacted Hyatt to get that rate.
OsakaWino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: