Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 2, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
The land for the hotel was apparently purchased from the Kyouyamato restaurant, which will reopen with the hotel.
Looking back at the original press release from Takenaka, it says the land will be rented from Kyoyamato and the building owned by Takenaka, which has contracted with Hyatt to manage the hotel.

It has been quite a while since I first read the press release, but in re-reading it I remember being impressed with the building description of "4 stories below ground, 2 stories above ground". Of course, with a hillside construction, sometimes floors classified as being below ground level can from a different perspective appear to be at or even above ground level.

On another note, they have renamed the room categories again, returning the 68m2 rooms, but I still see only standard room and suites available on numerous off-season (Jan, Feb midweek) dates that I checked.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Oct 3, 19 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 3, 19, 6:15 am

Based on what the interior design company posted on Instagram, it looks like there will be onsen on site.
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Has anyone noticed that they have reworked the room/suite descriptions? There used to be a 68 m2 room (I think it was called premium deluxe or something like that), the same size as the Park Suite. Now that is gone, so all of the non-suite rooms are the same 45 m2 size. They have also added a statement that none of the non-suite rooms can accommodate only 2 adults and no rollaway bed is possible. And they have also named the premium suites.

Also, in checking a half dozen different dates, only the standard king/twin rooms and the suites are showing availability. No deluxe or view deluxe on any date whatsoever. Maybe an IT glitch?
Checking this morning there's lots of 68m2 rooms that are not suites. So was it a temporary glitch?
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Neric View Post
Checking this morning there's lots of 68m2 rooms that are not suites. So was it a temporary glitch?
See my post #151 above. With the repeated changes, I suspect some indecision re room categories/descriptions rather than an IT glitch. That's just my 2Ę of course.

Also, if anyone is interested, award availability during Sakura season (April 10 +/-) seems to have opened up.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Oct 3, 19 at 10:14 am
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
See my post #151 above. With the repeated changes, I suspect some indecision re room categories/descriptions rather than an IT glitch. That's just my 2Ę of course.

Also, if anyone is interested, award availability during Sakura season (April 10 +/-) seems to have opened up.
Ah very interesting, Interesting that the deluxe rooms are same size as suite. So is a TSU just a way to guarantee a larger room vs an upgrade?

I've got a TSU in, I'll find out if they accept it hopefully at end of this month. Our trip to Japan is coming up!
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Ah very interesting, Interesting that the deluxe rooms are same size as suite. So is a TSU just a way to guarantee a larger room vs an upgrade?

I've got a TSU in, I'll find out if they accept it hopefully at end of this month. Our trip to Japan is coming up!
how did you get the TSU applied? I was told they canít until the hote opens
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:50 am

Ah very interesting, Interesting that the deluxe rooms are same size as suite.
I would bet that there will be further rewording of the room descriptions. Right now the 68m2 Deluxe rooms are "spacious", while the same size 68m2 suites are "sprawling". And the signature Pagoda House suite is "embedded in the slopes". Not to mention numerous other inconsistencies and errors, both in the English and Japanese descriptions.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by faboi0us View Post
how did you get the TSU applied? I was told they canít until the hote opens
It's in some notes, it's not really applied. I think I'm supposed to call back after it opens.
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:38 pm

Just confirmed by Hyatt no pool and onsen on-site, so what we get for this hotel by paying so much?
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Digidigi View Post
Just confirmed by Hyatt no pool and onsen on-site, so what we get for this hotel by paying so much?
Wow. That's very surprising.
Old Oct 4, 19, 2:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I'll only ever stay here on points at 30k so I don't really care, but that's baffling to me. That's supposed to compete with Suiran and the Ritz-Carlton? Good luck.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:47 am

As someone who wouldn't use a pool or onsen I find this an odd question. You get a hotel room in a good location and all of the attendant services. I'm getting a 90m2 room for about 100,000 yen/night plus some points.

Is the price higher than the RC, FS or upcoming Aman?
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Is the price higher than the RC, FS or upcoming Aman?
Don't know about the Aman, but for the dates I've checked the PH is about the same as the FS and a little less than the RC. Being in fairly close to each other, these 3 properties will be in direct competition. There has been some mention of Suiran, but that is in Arashiyama, which although within the Kyoto city limits would be considered (at least by all domestic clientele) a different (although also very popular) destination from Kyoto.

I really would have been surprised if the PH had a pool considering the size of the property, although it would appear that both the RC and FS have pools. And onsen are not at all common in Kyoto (except in some of the outlying areas such as Arashiyama); neither the RC nor the FS has an onsen.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Thanks, I have to call back as well.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Location-wise, that's an interesting choice. It's right in the middle of some of the busiest real estate in Kyoto, not sure how "peaceful" the Kyoto experience is going to be. And it has no views or gardens that I can see. At least the Westin, for all its many flaws, has a beautiful Japanese wing with a garden and views of the city.
OsakaWino likes this.

Search this Thread