Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest of Honor in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:35 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jameswes
Yes, I had this happen at the beginning of last year (before the switch to having free nights count). I've seen in other threads that anecdotally there are a handful of properties that had this happen at. In my situation, it was a true GoH, but during the stay the hotel upgraded the recipient from a normal room to the presidential suite and I think in that switchover something happened where it no longer looked like GoH and instead was a normal reservation and I got the nights
Still a bit unclear. I just gifted GoH to my brother for a future stay. Will I get the stay credit?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Still a bit unclear. I just gifted GoH to my brother for a future stay. Will I get the stay credit?
Not unless they make a mistake.

You need to stay at the hotel for the night to get credit for the night.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:39 pm

It dawned on me at some point last year to always have my wife get a guest of honor night when our family goes on vacation. That way it helps knock out one of the brand explorer categories so that she earns a free night. It's been working just fine so far. Just have to contact Hyatt ahead I of andtime usually (and remind FD at check in) to keep us in the same room even though we have different reservations.
beachfan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
It dawned on me at some point last year to always have my wife get a guest of honor night when our family goes on vacation. That way it helps knock out one of the brand explorer categories so that she earns a free night. It's been working just fine so far. Just have to contact Hyatt ahead I of andtime usually (and remind FD at check in) to keep us in the same room even though we have different reservations.
I'm confused. How can you have different reservations but be in the same room?

Are you reserving one room or two?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:16 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Which WOH number should remain in the booking?

Rang Hyatt this morning who said my GOH reservations were setup incorrectly. After making the initial reservation I let the ‘honouree’ add their Hyatt number and cc as the agent advised (so they could get points and I don't have to guarantee the reservation on my cc).

I’m confused as to which is correct as each agent said they were correct.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 10, 2019 at 12:36 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Which WOH number should remain in the booking?

Rang Hyatt this morning who said my GOH reservations were setup incorrectly. After making the initial reservation I let the ‘honouree’ add their Hyatt number and cc as the agent advised (so they could get points and I don't have to guarantee the reservation on my cc).

I’m confused as to which is correct as each agent said they were correct.

Usually, I've used the GOH's Hyatt number for the booking, since it allows the guest to earn nights. I've also had some where the GOH weren't a Hyatt member, and I've used my number & CC for the reservation. I wasn't aware there was an "incorrect" way of doing it, only that nights can only be earned for the GOH.

While both have worked, there had been times when during GOH check in, the property wasn't aware of and their system didn't denote the GOH status of the guest; the FD requested my guest contact me for my Hyatt number. They then contacted Hyatt Corp to confirm that I had indeed made the GOH reservation.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Hmmm. I had multiple agents check the reservation when making changes and there were no issues. Perhaps I just had a stroppy agent?

I guess my question is: Will properties not provide GOH benefits if the guest adds their Hyatt number? i.e. would they see their status instead of mine.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:02 am

I guess my question is: Will properties not provide GOH benefits if the guest adds their Hyatt number? i.e. would they see their status instead of mine.
Provided the Glob member designates the GOH and makes the reservation from his account, benefits are provided regardless of whomever's Hyatt number remains on the reservation. For me, as a matter of convenience, it's better to have the honoree's WoH number (assuming he/she has one) to remain, since the stay will show up in his/her app and nights are earned.

Regardless of whomever's number remains, most properties will know the guest checking in is GOH, but I've had a few who, for whatever reason, wasn't aware of it. In those cases, once my Hyatt number was provided, they were able to verify the GOH status.

PS - While not a published benefit, the few times where my GOH were upgraded to a suite were the few times when my Hyatt number remained on the reservation. Certainly a very small sample size that may prove meaningless, but, nonetheless, a very small data point.

Last edited by Visconti; Jul 10, 2019 at 3:10 am Reason: added PS...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:09 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Visconti
Providing the Glob member designates the GOH and makes the reservation from his account, benefits are provided regardless of whomever's Hyatt number remains on the reservation. For me, as a matter of convenience, it's better to have the honoree's WoH number (assuming he/she has one) to remain, since the stay will show up in his/her app and nights are earned.

Regardless of whomever's number remains, most properties will know the guest checking in is GOH, but I've had a few who, for whatever reason, wasn't aware of it. In those cases, once my Hyatt number was provided, they were able to verify the GOH status.
Thank you!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hmmm. I had multiple agents check the reservation when making changes and there were no issues. Perhaps I just had a stroppy agent?

Totally fine if they put their number in, yours should never have been attached (agent screwed up). In the end, it's just an annotation the WoH has to put on the reservation.

I always call the property to confirm that they annotation was put on there and then use it as an excuse to request an upgrade. Much higher upgrade frequency for the GoH when I do this.

Alos, if it happens to be a property you frequent, email the VIP/guest services manager on their behalf. Many properties will then treat them as "your guest" and really take great care of them.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Totally fine if they put their number in, yours should never have been attached (agent screwed up). In the end, it's just an annotation the WoH has to put on the reservation.

I always call the property to confirm that they annotation was put on there and then use it as an excuse to request an upgrade. Much higher upgrade frequency for the GoH when I do this.

Alos, if it happens to be a property you frequent, email the VIP/guest services manager on their behalf. Many properties will then treat them as "your guest" and really take great care of them.
Has anyone had any GOOD experiences using Guest of Honor? I have only sent friends once to Cabo using it and the Property had no clue. It turned into a "thing" which I guess eventually got worked out. I'm sending my Parents to Cancun for 7 nights using GoH next Feb fro their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Part of my thought process was "just pay for exactly what you want them to have". Room type etc. But now I am lured in by the great value of the points/dollar. Anytone have recent experiences GoH on Mexico?

thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sent my wife and son to Paris using GOH to stay at Hôtel du Louvre. They were given a massive suite with 3 balconies as well as breakfast everyday. It couldn't have gone any better. They even had a nice welcome amenity waiting for them. I've also used GOH for my wife and son two other times and they were treated as though they had the status. I think it is one of the best things about the Hyatt program.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Has anyone had any GOOD experiences using Guest of Honor? I have only sent friends once to Cabo using it and the Property had no clue. It turned into a "thing" which I guess eventually got worked out. I'm sending my Parents to Cancun for 7 nights using GoH next Feb fro their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Part of my thought process was "just pay for exactly what you want them to have". Room type etc. But now I am lured in by the great value of the points/dollar. Anytone have recent experiences GoH on Mexico?
Yes, I've had multiple great experiences with GoH. I had a scenario where a GoH booked in a regular room was upgraded to the presidential suite.
In all the cases I've used it, the guest loved having access to my status (particularly things like free parking/resort fees, breakfast in a restaurant and the pretty regular room upgrades).

I *WILL* say that the first time someone does GoH it is worrisome because they don't believe they'll get treated well or they don't understand how it works or what they're entitled to with Globalist status. But, once they've done it once and YOU coach them through what they are entitled to and what they can ask for it works out great.

Originally Posted by Visconti
PS - While not a published benefit, the few times where my GOH were upgraded to a suite were the few times when my Hyatt number remained on the reservation. Certainly a very small sample size that may prove meaningless, but, nonetheless, a very small data point.
Interestingly, I can second this data point. I've done probably a dozen GoH bookings, and the only one that counted for a stay credit was when they were upgraded to a suite.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Can there even be a "wrong" number in the reservation that belongs to a different customer?

I'd imagine that results in a mismatch same as when you try to attach your FFN to another persons flight reservation.

On the Hyatt website it doesn't work either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.