World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 9, 16, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I think the part you're missing is: Hyatt doesn't believe themselves to be in competition with Hilton and Marriott.

They may not believe that, but I've been rebooking a lot of my nights with Marriott and Starwood.
Old Nov 9, 16, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
They may not believe that, but I've been rebooking a lot of my nights with Marriott and Starwood.
Same.

I actually would agree that they aren't really in competition with Hilton. For me, I just don't find Hiltons too compelling. I'm sure I'd be fine in the Maldives, but the ones where I've stayed, I wouldn't revisit.
Old Nov 9, 16, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I've got bookings with Hyatt into early Dec that will ensure I meet 2016 Diamond requirements.

I've decided to shift some business over to Fairmont ... always wanted to try them ... so my hotel mix for 2017 will be Fairmont, Hilton, burn at Hyatt, IHG/Marriott as a safety net.

I'll meet 2017 stay requirements for Fairmont and Hilton top tiers.
I'll be Hyatt Diamond and burn my account down to zero.
I've got IHG Plat with the credit card and Marriott LT Plat so they'll just be my safety net.

I see no need to go out of my way to get Explorist; I'll have Discoverist through the CC.
Old Nov 9, 16, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I've decided to shift some business over to Fairmont ... always wanted to try them
Fairmont has a very limited footprint, but is an excellent choice if your travels allow it. Unfortunately, no one knows what will happen with the Accor takeover.
Old Nov 9, 16, 10:09 pm

I do wonder what's better for Hyatt. I know I'm coming into a year of change, but what I will likely do is, for leisure/luxury trips, especially with my wife and family, I'll go for Hyatts to get the included breakfast and upgrades and late check-out.

For business and more utilitarian leisure trips, I'll end up at Aloft or similar from any chain that has a good location and price. So HP/HH will be losing many of my stays.

Funny enough, those HP/HH stays often cost more - for example, I stay in Emeryville (about $250/night usually), but I'm also going to the Andaz Shanghai a few times (more like $200/night) and Andaz Papagayo (15K, or C+P). Not all are like that, but most of what they lose seems profitable, to me, and breakfast is included, so I'd essentially be paying for it even without status.

Again, this is only the case as I transition from a top tier to a nothing with them.
Old Nov 9, 16, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Fairmont has a very limited footprint, but is an excellent choice if your travels allow it. Unfortunately, no one knows what will happen with the Accor takeover.
I don't expect it to last past 2017 so that's OK. There's always another loyalty program in the wings - Hyatt doesn't have some sort of secret sauce.
Old Nov 10, 16, 8:11 am

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Life Time Titanium
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I've got bookings with Hyatt into early Dec that will ensure I meet 2016 Diamond requirements.

I've decided to shift some business over to Fairmont ... always wanted to try them ... so my hotel mix for 2017 will be Fairmont, Hilton, burn at Hyatt, IHG/Marriott as a safety net.

I'll meet 2017 stay requirements for Fairmont and Hilton top tiers.
I'll be Hyatt Diamond and burn my account down to zero.
I've got IHG Plat with the credit card and Marriott LT Plat so they'll just be my safety net.

I see no need to go out of my way to get Explorist; I'll have Discoverist through the CC.

Fairmont is a nice chain, in fact like you I just changed a reservation in Cali from Hyatt to a Fairmont looking forward to seeing Fairmont again. Last night I did a Westin and tonight it's a Marriott in Bellevue.
Old Nov 10, 16, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
I thought our moderator Markie was submitting our questions to Jeff last week and was going to post the answers. I haven't seen anything posted yet.
I had a quick scan of this thread, and any new threads about this: I had an email sent about a Q&A with Jeff on the 16th of Nov. I don't know if it is public or private.

As for me I have been Diamond for years, when I was spending 4 months a year living in hotels overseas for work. That has now finished after chaning jobs, and my status is on the back of short business trips, and with the remanded made on personal trips, so in the same situation many others are in.
And as much as I have been a happy customer with Hyatt over the years, and I'm a Diamond with Hilton too due to business trips and personal (staying at Hilton's when Hyatt didn't have a footprint, or on price), with these changes it will force me to drop one program, and with such a small footprint in Europe for Hyatt, stay loyal to the GP WoH program with them really isn't an option, and my money with go to HH.
Old Nov 10, 16, 10:03 am

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Life Time Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Not sure what you mean by "beated this to death".

My question (and the point in your post, really) isn't directly related to WoH. It's not a revenue-based program on the status acquisition site and it isn't on the reward redemption side.
Just what I said "beaten to death" this change has been directed every which way but loose. Every or I think every variation has been posted, opinions both logical and some with a great deal of passion have been as well.

The debate unless something new happens is its up to each person what they choose to do with their choice of hotels. I know I have.
Old Nov 10, 16, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle View Post
I had a quick scan of this thread, and any new threads about this: I had an email sent about a Q&A with Jeff on the 16th of Nov. I don't know if it is public or private.
Public, on Reddit. Discussed earlier, so you and your closest thousand(s) friends. Hope Jeff is a fast typist (hah!)

How do I participate?

1. You will receive an email on November 16 with the link to the AMA.
2. You do not need a Reddit account to observe the AMA.
3. If you would like to ask questions during the session, visit reddit.com and log in
3. or create an account.
4. When the session starts, you can log in to Reddit and post your questions.
5. Jeff will select and respond to questions for 30 minutes.
Old Nov 10, 16, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Same.

I actually would agree that they aren't really in competition with Hilton. For me, I just don't find Hiltons too compelling. I'm sure I'd be fine in the Maldives, but the ones where I've stayed, I wouldn't revisit.
Let's face it, a lot of Hyatts aren't very compelling either. I think the *average* Hyatt is nicer than the *average* Hilton, but both programs have some lousy properties.

At the end of the day, though, I'd rather be a Diamond at Hilton or a Platinum at Marriott than an Explorist at Hyatt -- and given Hyatt's footprint, that's the comparison I have to make.
Old Nov 10, 16, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
This is what I keep coming back to.

Hyatt Globalist: 60 nights, excluding awards, in 679 properties. No credit towards Globalist with CC.
Hilton Diamond: 60 nights, or 30 stays, including awards, in 4,600 hotels. CC grants status with $40k spend.
Marriott Platinum: 75 nights, including awards, in 5,500 hotels (once combined with SPG). CC grants night credits towards Platinum.

I just don't understand.
As for MR/SPG what will be going forward no one knows. Meaning will both Chase and Amex CCs still exist if not which is dropped. Will SPGs 25 Stays for Plat be dropped and it be only 75 nights.

HH is still cutting back on the benefits and unknown how they may react if MR/SPG makes changes, cant see them giving anythinga way if they are the only ones doing it.

I found Hyatt to be a more upscale act then HH or MR or SPG although SPG can give Hyatt a run for its money. Hyatt decided it doesnt want to deal with the Frugal Travelers any longer and thats their right. Just as the airlines changed their programs where unless you're hitting the top level the cupboard is pretty bare and AA is changing as well next year.

The airlines make their $$ either off those with high Spend or those hit left and right for Fees. If you dont fall into either of those they really want you to walk away as you wont be adding much if anything to their bottom line. Hyatt I think is simply following in those footsteps but in the hotel industry
Old Nov 10, 16, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Hyatt decided it doesnt want to deal with the Frugal Travelers any longer and thats their right.
True, but isn't the definition of frugal travel getting free rooms for points instead of paying cash, getting free suite upgrades instead of buying a suite, getting free breakfast instead of a bigger folio, getting a 4 pm checkout instead of renting the room longer, etc.?
Old Nov 10, 16, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Originally Posted by craz View Post
The airlines make their $$ either off those with high Spend or those hit left and right for Fees. If you dont fall into either of those they really want you to walk away as you wont be adding much if anything to their bottom line. Hyatt I think is simply following in those footsteps but in the hotel industry
I can't quarrel with the point that high-end spenders and fee-victims are the cash cows for airlines (and their analogues for hotels), so, sure this looks like what Hyatt is up to.

I do question the idea that one wants to get rid (completely) of folks like myself and some others on the board. I do enjoy elite benefits at Hyatt (and at AA). But hotels, like airlines, have wasting assets -- an unsold room or an unsold seat has no future value. I know that they have more and more elaborate pricing systems for filling rooms and seats, but a lot of those systems involve low prices, and the presupposition that anyone is actually looking for space or seats at those times.

Like, I suspect, others here, I am pretty good at using and maintaining my elite status by capitalizing on non-peak inventory. With a loyalty program (forgetting the affective elements), I am an easy capture, more motivated at the margin than a random person in the population (who doesn't care what the price of the Lexington, KY HR happens to be, because there is nothing in their lives or incentive structure that might ever lead them to capitalize on it). Because I value certain status aspects (late check-outs and sometimes b'fasts at Hyatt), I feed them some higher-end business (both on OPM and on my dime) and I keep cheaper beds and seats filled at duller times (usually on my dime). What's that 4pm checkout, which makes a getaway weekend day or two possible for me, really costing them at the non-peak times I am requesting them?

I kind of get how AA, an oligopolist, can't wait to see my backside headed out the door. They are shrinking flight banks at PHL and will have fewer seats to fill.

But all those Hyatt hotel rooms (small footprint notwithstanding) ....
Old Nov 10, 16, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
I don't want to be called a "globalist" or any of the other weird names they called their new tiers. But more importantly, they are not such a valuable brand that they will retain my loyalty with this devaluation. Goodbye Hyatt, you no longer value me, and I will not waste your time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: