FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What proportion of Hyatt hotels even have a club/lounge for the 4 club upgrade benefit (a benefit that is a return of sorts to what Platinums could have before Hyatt eliminated Platinum Extras certificates)?

It seems like less than a quarter of Hyatt hotels in the Americas have a club lounge. A higher proportion of Hyatt hotels have suites of some sort than have club lounges.
As I posted before (you may have missed it), the Plat Extra cert was not good for upgrades outside the US, so this new upgrade is certainly a BIG step up for anyone living outside the US, or for international travel. The Plat Extra certs were also not valid for 12 months, and they could not be used for as long as 7 nights.

A few Hyatts at which I think the upgrade would be quite nice: GH Tokyo, GH HK, Churchill London, HR Mainz, HR HK TST, GH Seoul, GH Fukuoka, GH Taipei, PH Melbourne, GH Melbourne, GH Kauai, HR Naha, GH Kuala Lumpur, GH Macau, GH Singapore ... I'm sure there are many more out there, but those are just a few that are in my limited range of vision.

Obviously these upgrades will not be of value to everyone, but nor are the DSUs.

I think they will do well for me for a year or 2, so I think I'll shoot for getting 30 nights in 2017 (a sharp decrease from my 42 this year and 40-45 each of the past 5 years).

If someone cannot obtain value from the 4 Club upgrades, I see no reason whatsoever in going out of the way to earn Explore status.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 8, 2016 at 2:56 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:21 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by woresu
Hyatt global footprint as at Sep 30, 2016 per earning release, total = 679

47 Grand Hyatt (with Grand Club) = 7%
171 Hyatt Regency (with Regency Club)= 25%

No Club Lounge?
39 Park, 13 Andaz = 8%
23 Hyatt(?), 9 Centric(?), 5 Unbound(?) = 5%

Not Applicable
260 Place, 72 House, 4 Ziva, 2 Ziva, 34 Residence Club = 55%
Not all Hyatt Regency-branded properties have clubs. 2 without clubs where I stay frequently are Austin and Houston. Breakfast in their restaurants is a big step up over a club's offering, in my opinion.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by skj
Not all Hyatt Regency-branded properties have clubs. 2 without clubs where I stay frequently are Austin and Houston. Breakfast in their restaurants is a big step up over a club's offering, in my opinion.
Agreed. HR Toronto also lacks a club, and, IIRC, so does HR Sarasota.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:07 am

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Hyatt Regencys have clubs. I've stayed at the following properties that have no club:

HR Valencia
HR Orange County
HR Coral Gables
HR Atlanta NW Suites
Lost Pines (has club but only open seasonally)
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

171 Hyatt Regency (with Regency Club)= 25%

No Club Lounge?
39 Park, 13 Andaz = 8%

Not Applicable
Most Hyatt properties in the US don't have clubs/lounges. Even a substantial chunk of Hyatt Regency properties in the US haven't had Regency Club lounges for years (if ever).

The last Park Hyatt lounge in the Americas that I visited was at the Park Hyatt LA -- a Hyatt which is no more.

The 4 club upgrade benefit does sound like a bit of an improvement for the non-Diamonds who do 30-49 nights a year. But for Diamonds doing 25-59 nights per year, your chances to use the club lounge as a program benefit have just dropped. There's a lesson in there.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 2016 at 6:16 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

171 Hyatt Regency (with Regency Club)= 25%(?) [EDITS: Not all HR has club....that make it even worse]

No Club Lounge?
39 Park, 13 Andaz = 8%

Not Applicable
No way to generalise. There are HRs without a lounge. There are GHs without a lounge (IIRC Cannes). There are PHs with a lounge (Hamburg for example) as well as Centrics (Montevideo for example).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
...I think the 4 7-night Club upgrades for Explore status represent some real value...
This of course assumes that they work properly, i.e., can be applied well in advance and actually upgrade to a Club room and not merely give Club access.
I hope you are right, but WoH states: "Receive 4 Club lounge access awards".
There is no mention, that I have found, of upgrade to Club rooms.

Last edited by Markie; Nov 9, 2016 at 11:44 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
...I think the 4 7-night Club upgrades for Explore status represent some real value...
This of course assumes that they work properly, i.e., can be applied well in advance and actually upgrade to a Club room and not merely give Club access.
I hope you are right, but WoH states: "Receive 4 Club lounge access awards".
There is no mention, that I have found, of upgrade to Club rooms.
This is from the T&C:

"Explorist Club Upgrade Awards are only valid for standard Club lounge-access rooms, as defined by the applicable hotel or resort. There are a limited number of Club lounge-access rooms available at each hotel or resort and they are subject to availability. Explorist Club Upgrade Awards cannot be redeemed for premium Club lounge-access rooms (i.e. any Club View, Deluxe Club, Club Suite, or similar room categories)"

Could they give you club access if a regular club room is available and still stick you in a broom closet? Maybe. But I don't think that is the intention. Rather, if there is a regular club room, you can get it, but if there is there only a premium club room, you get bupkiss (not regular room with club access).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
This is from the T&C:

"Explorist Club Upgrade Awards are only valid for standard Club lounge-access rooms, as defined by the applicable hotel or resort. There are a limited number of Club lounge-access rooms available at each hotel or resort and they are subject to availability. Explorist Club Upgrade Awards cannot be redeemed for premium Club lounge-access rooms (i.e. any Club View, Deluxe Club, Club Suite, or similar room categories)"

Could they give you club access if a regular club room is available and still stick you in a broom closet? Maybe. But I don't think that is the intention. Rather, if there is a regular club room, you can get it, but if there is there only a premium club room, you get bupkiss (not regular room with club access).
One more reason few will aspire to "Explorist." Just not seeing any value there compared to Marriott/Hilton.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Kacee
One more reason few will aspire to "Explorist." Just not seeing any value there compared to Marriott/Hilton.
Probably the main reason (if one is to judge benefits of E as opposed to benefits dropped for Diamond-to-E). I mean, if you're a 40-50 stay Diamond, and you're compare is basically Diamond vs. E, what does E give you... four RC access passes that might be gamed by properties? Nothing else. And, to preempt anyone from saying "wait until we get there, one shouldn't assume properties will game this", we all know gaming room type inventory by properties at time of attempted booking is a real issue.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
You underestimate the power of inertia.

If I can get guaranteed Club upgrade with Hyatt Explo vs, possible club upgrade with HHilton Gold, I'm very tempted to stick with Hyatt. Just a personal and probably unusual, pref, but for us eve lounge is very valuable, while breakfast is of limited value.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:03 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

I wonder how this will work at properties that don't have a separate category of Club rooms, like GH Kauai. Will they now relabel some rooms as Club rooms to create a small number so availability can be limited ?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:07 am

You underestimate the power of inertia.

If I can get guaranteed Club upgrade with Hyatt Explo vs, possible club upgrade with HHilton Gold, I'm very tempted to stick with Hyatt. Just a personal and probably unusual, pref, but for us eve lounge is very valuable, while breakfast is of limited value.
You underestimate the power of "If"
Granted, I think (given my experience) one might do better in the regard at GH Taipei, GH HK, HR TST, etc... than in general in U.S., looking at the properties that have frequent posts about gaming inventory.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by canyonleo
You underestimate the power of "If"
Granted, I think (given my experience) one might do better in the regard at GH Taipei, GH HK, HR TST, etc... than in general in U.S., looking at the properties that have frequent posts about gaming inventory.
And how valuable is lounge access in the US? It's been a while since I was in a domestic Hyatt lounge, but I recall the cheap evening nibbles and paid Mai Tais at the Waikiki property.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And how valuable is lounge access in the US? It's been a while since I was in a domestic Hyatt lounge, but I recall the cheap evening nibbles and paid Mai Tais at the Waikiki property.
Lounge access can be very valuable...

Although I've shifted all my Hyatt Maui stays from HR to Andaz, having lounge access allowed my wife and kid to go get their own breakfast while I hit a remote beach for early morning free diving. Or, when I'm on a business trip, wife and kid can grab lounge breakfast while I'm at the office/event (where one would need a car to get to any better breakfast). Or, grabbing some drinks mid-day to avoid purchase at a store. Or, use of the computer/printer when I need to print something (like a boarding pass, or business papers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.