World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 7, 16, 8:23 am

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm at HR Sacramento right now and starting to feel better about upcoming Hyatt liberation. Have something like 7 stays at this property already this year, and just feeling done with its nonfunctioning internet and a system that can't seem to remember my room preference, no matter how many times staff promises they've added it to my notes.

Look forward to moving my Sac stays to the Sheraton around the corner. Similar in San Diego, where the Westin/U.S. Grant are so much more convenient to the courthouses and major law firms than the very mediocre Andaz and Manchester GH.

Yup. No reason to direct stays for Explorist.

Hyatt Diamond was a good bargain on both sides. We directed all the stays we possibly could to Hyatt, and in return we got the best top tier status in the industry. Don't think they realize what a stretch it is to direct Hyatt stays in many cities.

Globalist will work great for those who do 60 nights a year in NYC or Tokyo or the small number of other cities with really excellent Hyatt options (e.g., Denver). Unfortunately, that is not me.
I stay at that property a lot and have the same issues there. So you know there are two new hotels coming online down the street in 2017 and two more planned, I am doing one.

Travel safe
Old Nov 7, 16, 8:52 am

I am one of the "freeloading" Diamonds who got in with the match last fall. Before that, I had barely ever stayed at a Hyatt. In order to try out the Diamond benefit, I booked a stay at Coral Gables in January, and after receiving an upgraded room and delicious free breakfast buffet, I was hooked. I began redirecting all my stays to Hyatt, to the point where I realized I could retain the status if I pushed hard enough. I rarely travel for work, so only 2 nights this year were on the company's dime. The rest has been leisure travel paid for out of my pocket. I have stayed in some awesome Hyatts and some dinky ones, some conveniently located ones and some very inconveniently located ones. I canceled other things I wanted to do, like taking a cruise or going to locations without Hyatts. In other words, it was a sacrifice for me to move most if not all of my spending to Hyatt.

In addition to the 25+ stays I will have by year-end, I also brought along family and friends and paid for their room, for which I did not get stay credit but Hyatt certainly got the revenue. In addition, I have spoken highly of my Hyatt experiences often, such that many of my coworkers and friends have said "hey, maybe I should switch to Hyatt from Hilton, etc."

As a full-time employee, I am limited to 5 weeks vacation per year, which I would think is on the high side in the U.S. Even if I spent all 5 of those weeks at a Hyatt, I will still only be at 35 nights. That's something I really appreciated about the Gold Passport program, that Hyatt was willing to reward the loyalty of leisure travelers who are using their own hard-earned money to stay at Hyatt every chance they get, when they could be staying elsewhere. Sure, I'll admit I was given Diamond for free, but the Diamond status I earned this year through legitimate stays certainly was not free.

I guess Hyatt decided I wasn't worthy of free breakfast, bonus points, or suite upgrades despite my efforts and loyalty. It was worth the sacrifice on my part to get to 25 stays when those things were the reward, but it's simply not worth the effort to stay even 30 nights for Explorist status; with so few properties having clubs and even then they are often closed.

For those of you 60+ nighters who talk down to us 25+ stayers and call us "entitled", don't you think that's the pot calling the kettle black? Not only do you think you are entitled to the top-tier benefits Hyatt has to offer, you also believe you are entitled to hog those benefits for yourselves and your fellow super special and elite 60+night club. Why? So you can have a quiet club to yourself? Out of all my stays this year, only once or twice have I noticed that the club seemed crowded. Even then, everyone still got to eat, sit, relax, they just had to wait a few more seconds to do so. Remember there is always someone who is contributing more revenue to Hyatt than you are - maybe they should make it a 100+ night requirement so the 100+ nighters can enjoy the club without all the freeloading 60+ nighters!

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who said they have never seen a loyalty program change so drastically that it causes us to immediately go from "choose Hyatt always" or "not consider Hyatt at all". I realize it's a business decision, but I believe a very short-sighted one that will cost them greatly in terms of brand equity and word of mouth advertising. Not only will it cause me and many others to go elsewhere it also leaves a very bad taste in the mouth, such that I may never be back to a Hyatt hotel. There are plenty of other great options out there, even if the loyalty programs aren't better, such as boutique hotels. I did just fine before Hyatt and will do just fine afterward spending my hard-earned money elsewhere.

I truly hope that Hyatt will listen to its customers, (not just the Millenial focus group) and make some adjustments to this drastic and punishing new World of Hyatt. Truly, it feels like a slap in the face.
Old Nov 7, 16, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Julie17 View Post
Truly, it feels like a slap in the face.
Exactly!

Nice post.

Hyatt is telling a very large number of its Diamonds that it now longer values our business. These changes might reduce costs, but they are also going to significantly reduce revenue unless Hyatt can come up with a lot of new customers to replace the Diamonds that are abandoning ship.

I for one am going to give Explore status a try for a year, since there are a number of properties with nice lounges that I want to go to for 5-7 nights, so the 4 Club upgrades would be useful to me, but overall I'll be cutting back from 25 stays/40-45 nights to 6-10 stays/30 nights. Can't possible make 60 nights (or even 55), so there is no reason to stay more than 30 nights. Hyatt will lose 10-15 nights of revenue from me. And if the Club upgrades do not work as expected, than it will be time for me to give up.
Old Nov 7, 16, 9:35 am

I am one of the "freeloading" Diamonds who got in with the match last fall. Before that, I had barely ever stayed at a Hyatt. In order to try out the Diamond benefit, I booked a stay at Coral Gables in January, and after receiving an upgraded room and delicious free breakfast buffet, I was hooked. I began redirecting all my stays to Hyatt, to the point where I realized I could retain the status if I pushed hard enough. I rarely travel for work, so only 2 nights this year were on the company's dime. The rest has been leisure travel paid for out of my pocket. I have stayed in some awesome Hyatts and some dinky ones, some conveniently located ones and some very inconveniently located ones. I canceled other things I wanted to do, like taking a cruise or going to locations without Hyatts. In other words, it was a sacrifice for me to move most if not all of my spending to Hyatt.

In addition to the 25+ stays I will have by year-end, I also brought along family and friends and paid for their room, for which I did not get stay credit but Hyatt certainly got the revenue. In addition, I have spoken highly of my Hyatt experiences often, such that many of my coworkers and friends have said "hey, maybe I should switch to Hyatt from Hilton, etc."

As a full-time employee, I am limited to 5 weeks vacation per year, which I would think is on the high side in the U.S. Even if I spent all 5 of those weeks at a Hyatt, I will still only be at 35 nights. That's something I really appreciated about the Gold Passport program, that Hyatt was willing to reward the loyalty of leisure travelers who are using their own hard-earned money to stay at Hyatt every chance they get, when they could be staying elsewhere. Sure, I'll admit I was given Diamond for free, but the Diamond status I earned this year through legitimate stays certainly was not free.

I guess Hyatt decided I wasn't worthy of free breakfast, bonus points, or suite upgrades despite my efforts and loyalty. It was worth the sacrifice on my part to get to 25 stays when those things were the reward, but it's simply not worth the effort to stay even 30 nights for Explorist status; with so few properties having clubs and even then they are often closed.

For those of you 60+ nighters who talk down to us 25+ stayers and call us "entitled", don't you think that's the pot calling the kettle black? Not only do you think you are entitled to the top-tier benefits Hyatt has to offer, you also believe you are entitled to hog those benefits for yourselves and your fellow super special and elite 60+night club. Why? So you can have a quiet club to yourself? Out of all my stays this year, only once or twice have I noticed that the club seemed crowded. Even then, everyone still got to eat, sit, relax, they just had to wait a few more seconds to do so. Remember there is always someone who is contributing more revenue to Hyatt than you are - maybe they should make it a 100+ night requirement so the 100+ nighters can enjoy the club without all the freeloading 60+ nighters!

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who said they have never seen a loyalty program change so drastically that it causes us to immediately go from "choose Hyatt always" or "not consider Hyatt at all". I realize it's a business decision, but I believe a very short-sighted one that will cost them greatly in terms of brand equity and word of mouth advertising. Not only will it cause me and many others to go elsewhere it also leaves a very bad taste in the mouth, such that I may never be back to a Hyatt hotel. There are plenty of other great options out there, even if the loyalty programs aren't better, such as boutique hotels. I did just fine before Hyatt and will do just fine afterward spending my hard-earned money elsewhere.

I truly hope that Hyatt will listen to its customers, (not just the Millenial focus group) and make some adjustments to this drastic and punishing new World of Hyatt. Truly, it feels like a slap in the face.
Very well put Julie! I couldn't agree more with what you said... I was thinking this morning how just a year ago I was jumping for joy to receive Hyatt Diamond as a status match from my Hilton Gold. A year later, I too feel like I've been slapped in my face. WOH has been a topic of conversation at our dinner table, for my younger children it's a lesson on economics and bad company business decisions. I for one, was a free PR agent for Hyatt this past year: I left amazing reviews on trip advisor, talked my older children into booking expensive business trips at Hyatt hotels, (who in turn talked friends and business associates into staying at Hyatt) and had numerous friends and family members book stays at Hyatt because of my enthusiasm as a Diamond. Next year I'll be burning my hard earned points and enjoying what's left of the perks and then it's back to Hilton where I get gold for $95 a year (citi reserve)-with the exception of late checkout, I've been treated just as well at Hilton as at Hyatt. While I've been in a state of shock/mourning for the past few weeks, I'm now starting to feel a bit liberated...
Old Nov 7, 16, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Exactly!

Nice post.

Hyatt is telling a very large number of its Diamonds that it now longer values our business. These changes might reduce costs, but they are also going to significantly reduce revenue unless Hyatt can come up with a lot of new customers to replace the Diamonds that are abandoning ship.
which is no different from what the airlines did, they too went rev based and really are only geared towards the top spenders

Now Ive been with Hyatt for just over 1 yr and although I may be able to pull off 60 nights (or 55) I doubt I will even try. Its simple Hyatt doesnt want me or my kind, and I have no problem with that.

I dont get why so many folks are complaining, Hyatt corp decided on a new way it wants to reward its members, dont like the new T&Cs walk away and go elsewhere, its very obvious the type of person Hyatt wants is one who will be dropping the amount of $$$ that alot of folks on FT wont or cant drop, especially if its their own dime.

true Hyatt doesnt want to say if you dont spend at least $x please go elsewhere, but from the way it has redone its program, thats pretty much what they are saying. Now for some it may still workout not being top level with the couple of bones they will offer at the lower levels, just as by the airlines. Each person simply should workout if the reduced benefits will still work for them or not and if not hopefully they will find another program that will workout
Old Nov 7, 16, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
I for one am going to give Explore status a try for a year, since there are a number of properties with nice lounges that I want to go to for 5-7 nights, so the 4 Club upgrades would be useful to me, but overall I'll be cutting back from 25 stays/40-45 nights to 6-10 stays/30 nights. Can't possible make 60 nights (or even 55), so there is no reason to stay more than 30 nights. Hyatt will lose 10-15 nights of revenue from me. And if the Club upgrades do not work as expected, than it will be time for me to give up.
Just checking... did you meet Diamond this year? If so, you will then be top tier in 2017.
Old Nov 7, 16, 11:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
So, I have been HGP Diamond for about 16 years, just requalified for 2016, and in the program in total for about 25 years and have enjoyed the benefits of the program. Even so I can only think of 2 spectacular treatments from Hyatt in all that time. An upgrade to a massive suite at the SFO Embacadero and earlier this year at the GH Melbourne where we were upgraded to the Diplomatic Suite. Other than that even with status usually just treated as a regular guest.

Most of our stays now are for leisure on our dime. As has been said before Hyatt is not well represented in many areas so is often difficult to find a property to stay at. That may change in the future but many of the new openings are not in countries we visit for vacation.

I would have been happy if they kept the same levels but had increased the requirements in a more reasonable way but I cannot justify what I would need to spend to maintain the highest level of status out of my own pocket.

I already have Hilton Diamond and get treated pretty well so will probably follow what seems to be a common direction here and head over to SPG once I have burnt my Hyatt points during 2017 as a backup.

So long Hyatt and it will be interesting to see if this new strategy causes them any pain.
Old Nov 7, 16, 11:17 am
cic

Dear cic,

I hope you are as excited as I am about World of Hyatt – your new loyalty program launching March 1, 2017. What makes this loyalty program so special is that it’s an extension of Hyatt’s purpose – to care for you so you can be your best. More specifically, the program is the result of listening and understanding what is meaningful to you. While we have some time before World of Hyatt officially launches, we are eager to highlight five things that stand out about World of Hyatt:

• There are even more opportunities for rewards, benefits and new experiences
• Now, Base Points from stays, dining and spa count toward earning elite status
• Members may earn a free night award at a category 1-4 Hyatt hotel after staying at 5 different brands starting March 1, 2017
• Preferred rooms and upgrades when available for all elite members
• Seamless transition into World of Hyatt, retaining all information and activity to date

These are just a few highlights. There's a lot more at HYATT.COM/WORLD. Be sure to check it out to see all of the details and benefit descriptions.

I will also be hosting a special Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on November 16 at 12 noon CST to personally answer your questions. An email invite will go out next week with instructions on how to participate. I look forward to connecting with you then.

Thank you for your loyalty. You are the heart of our community and the inspiration for World of Hyatt.

All my best,

Anyone received this letter? Seems they have received a lot of negative feedback.
Old Nov 7, 16, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cic View Post
I will also be hosting a special Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on November 16 at 12 noon CST to personally answer your questions. An email invite will go out next week with instructions on how to participate. I look forward to connecting with you then.

Thank you for your loyalty. You are the heart of our community and the inspiration for World of Hyatt.

All my best,

Anyone received this letter? Seems they have received a lot of negative feedback.
I got it too. Instead of saying he will listen to feedback, he just promises to give us a bit of his time to answer questions. Then mocks us by thanking us in advance for our one-way loyalty.
Old Nov 7, 16, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I see a little of the 60+ nighters talking down to the 25 stayers, but let's be honest here: is it really going to any better at the new top tier? I'm not convinced and neither should anyone else. Shareholder value is their top concern, not the guests.

I hope all of you follow through on your threats to go elsewhere. Unless BoraYa is right and your combined revenue is insignificant, it would have to get someone's attention (one would hope).
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:06 pm

I am one of the "freeloading" Diamonds ..

..I may never be back to a Hyatt hotel....

... Truly, it feels like a slap in the face.
A curious observation: the nicer the program is with offers, the more entitled people become and the more bitter they get when those perks are taken away... Fascinating...

While i will likely lose my Dia as near all my stays are personal and i am unlikely to hit new threshold (unless multiple credits for multiple rooms are implemented) it doesnt seem to bother me as much as many posters here - i will have a chance of trying more diverse or cheaper hotels instead of limiting myself to hyatts...

And Julie17 - you will absolutely be back if hyatt offers another free match
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by cmglobal View Post
I see a little of the 60+ nighters talking down to the 25 stayers, but let's be honest here: is it really going to any better at the new top tier? I'm not convinced and neither should anyone else. Shareholder value is their top concern, not the guests.

I hope all of you follow through on your threats to go elsewhere. Unless BoraYa is right and your combined revenue is insignificant, it would have to get someone's attention (one would hope).
I expect this to be a larger loss of business than SPG has seen since the Marriott merger was announced. Here's a snippet from SPG's Q2 earnings release, summarizing the first 6 months of 2016:
Net loss was $173 million and $1.02 loss per share in the six months ended June 30, 2016 compared to income of $235 million and $1.37 per share in the same period in 2015.

I looked at the numbers briefly and Q2 was worse than Q1 2016 for Starwood.

In spite of a worldwide 1.2% increase in occupancy rate, the Average Daily Rate fell by 1.0%. I suspect that's due to how the internal value of point stays are calculated.

When a large number of members start burning points, it has a negative effect on company finances.

I didn't burn a lot of points with Hyatt because I needed every stay to count. I gave out a decent number of Guest of Honor nights and used some C+P nights. In 2017, I have no disincentive to make my stays award stays because I don't care about getting night credits.
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Just checking... did you meet Diamond this year? If so, you will then be top tier in 2017.
Yes, I wil re-qualify with 2 more stays this month and 2 in Dec, so it will be Dia till 28 Feb 2017 and then Glob until 28 Feb 2018, and I'm planing to give Exp a try for 2018.

I was almost tempted to try for 55 nights in 2017, but it would exhaust us, more physically than financially. There's no fun in squeezing 18 months of vacation into 12 months...

For me, maybe Exp is more suitable and maybe I won't be losing much (although we will miss staying at the PH Tokyo, since for us the DSU and room service breakfast were the big draw there). But I still am quite saddened at how I feel that my business and my efforts seem to be of so little value to Hyatt.
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
I'm fortunate to have comped Hilton Diamond that I've been trying out, along with Marriott Gold via UA 1MM, but worried about making a 100% move to Marriott in case the UA relationship ends with the Starwood merger. That would cause me to lose the chance to retain Hilton Diamond that won't be on the table after next year without requalifying for it. The year-to-year UA/Marriott relationship just sounds too risky for me. Could easily do the 30 stays at Hilton because of their larger footprint - the World of Hilton does seem to work much better in cities I frequent.

Anyone see something I'm missing that might indicate Marriott would be the better direction to go?
Don't know that anyone can say for sure whether the UA/Marriott relationship will continue or how the Marriott program itself will develop. Or what Hilton will do next.

Personally, I enjoy being a free agent instead of focusing on top tier status with any particular chain. It's easy enough at the moment to get mid tier status in several programs via credit card or other relationship. As a free agent I can take advantage of the promos that work best for me, book award stays without fear of needing the nights or stay for elite status, etc.
Old Nov 7, 16, 1:00 pm

As a diamond on the edge between deciding moving forward focusing on hyatt to maintain globalist status, letting it lapse and maintain Explorist, or give up on hyatt what I would like to see is how properties implement their non-published elite member benefits.

Sure the loss of current diamond benefits at explorist level hurts, but its the extra bonuses aside from the standard GP diamond benefits which I also appreciate. Things like access to Twilight Time at PH Tokyo or complimentary spa access at HR Huntington Beach, if properties continue to extend these experiences to Explorists, then it may not be too bad.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: