World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 16, 9:39 am

Programs: A3 *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Marriott also owns Starwood. It would be like Hyatt saying you can do 21/25 stays at Full Service Hyatt's to get Diamond Status and you have to do 60 nights at Hyatt Place/Hyatt House to get the same status. With Marriott, you have the option to use any of the 11 Starwood brands to get status with Marriott.
???
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
They were arguing about Marriott without recognizing that Marriott owns Starwood. Right now Marriott has three rewards programs. Ritz-Carlton, Starwood, and Marriott. Thus if you are trying to achieve status, you can leverage that one that works best for you and move your points around as needed.

If you are not taking into account all 30 brands, it is the same at not recognizing all of Hyatt's brands.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Wish for 1 tweak?

So just wondering if there was only 1 thing you could change about the new program (please don't say things like - "keep the old program") but serious things that possibly Hyatt would actually consider. Mine:

Allow award nights to count towards status.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
So just wondering if there was only 1 thing you could change about the new program (please don't say things like - "keep the old program") but serious things that possibly Hyatt would actually consider. Mine:

Allow award nights to count towards status.
They don't want you burning your points until they can deflate their value.
So there will be no joy with this.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Possibly correct, but in the mean time it is reality. And if SPG/Marriott change then Hilton is still 30 stays.... and those chains have way more of a footprint than Hyatt.
Yes. Perhaps Plat in the merged entity will remain at 75 nights, but I won't be surprised to see something a bit lower to keep the SPG folks motivated. In any event, given the footprint, 75 Marriott is still way more reasonable than 60 Hyatt. And Marriott Gold > Explorist. Advantage: Marriott.

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
Hilton's point redemption system is what keeps me away from their program. A sliding scale based on property and seasonality.
But Hilton points accrual is so easy. The real issue with Hilton is (i) too many crappy properties, and (ii) Diamond isn't much better than Gold. But Hilton Gold is better than Explorist and can be had with a credit card. Advantage: Hilton.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 6, 16 at 10:33 am
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes. Perhaps Plat in the merged entity will remain at 75 nights, but I won't be surprised to see something a bit lower to keep the SPG folks motivated. In any event, given the footprint, 75 Marriott is still way more reasonable than 60 Hyatt. And Marriott Gold > Explorist. Advantage: Marriott.
Yup.

My hometown has two Marriott properties (3rd coming), three HHonors properties, one IHG, and the nearest Hyatt is 130 miles away.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond/Glob, Hilton Diamond, Starwood/Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat
As a millennial in advertising, sounds like someone really sold/"inspired" a board of executives who have no idea how to market to younger crowds with this World of Hyatt nomenclature/"-ist" nonsense.

These changes actually benefit me, since I can hit base point threshold but have difficulty hitting 50 or 60 nights, but I also have no motivation to stay at a hyatt outside of those stays, for a variety of reasons.

SPG will be seeing most of my stays, and even if they devalue the program with the merger I think lifetime status is more attainable with them (which will probably mean nothing in 10 years).

Tried hilton diamond this year, and too frustrated with inflexibility of late checkout options.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:17 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP 75K, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist),National Exec Elite
All this drama, and I imagine that if Hyatt simply amended the program to allow 30 stays to qualify for top tier, many long term Diamonds would probably be placated.

It's still 5 more than previous, and 5 more than SPG requires. Prorate it down the other tiers, and you've got a semi-reasonable compromise. IMHO.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:19 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Yup.

My hometown has two Marriott properties (3rd coming), three HHonors properties, one IHG, and the nearest Hyatt is 130 miles away.
And the troll that says if you're 5 nights short, you can easily get 5 nights. LOL.

Even in LA, I only have 6 Hyatts to choose from and that's including the 2 in Long Beach. Pathetic
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
All this drama, and I imagine that if Hyatt simply amended the program to allow 30 stays to qualify for top tier, many long term Diamonds would probably be placated.

It's still 5 more than previous, and 5 more than SPG requires. Prorate it down the other tiers, and you've got a semi-reasonable compromise. IMHO.
No. they would still complain. You have people on here with 45-50 nights complaining this is a travesty like Jeff somehow personally screwed them over. If they added one day we'd still have 1000 replies to the thread with woe is me.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:45 am

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Just not worth he hasle

So I did a fair amount of calculating how this plays out for me, and the new program simply isn't worth it for me. At the end of the day, it's about staying in a decent hotel room for a decent price. There are only 2 or 3 actual Hyatt hotels that are special in terms of "given the options, let's stay at the Hyatt in pace X, y or Z." We can easily still stay at these places without staying at the dozens of other "me too" properties, never mind the out-of-the-way HH's & HP's to maintain status.

Gold Passport and the achievable diamond benefits were the only reason we chose to stay at Hyatt, and this new laughable program means we'll go from about 45 nights or so with Hyatt next year to 9. Frankly, I see a lot of other people coming to the same conclusion, regardless of what the shills and trolls are trying to sell us on. It was very good while it lasted.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
I have been shifting a lot of business because of these changes and have been looking around at other programs. I had recently booked a Wyndham property at a trade show Germany (in a huge city where there are no Hyatts), and had joined their program too to get the points.

I just got my points credited yesterday and thought I would experiment with some test bookings. So, I looked at bookings for my contractors at my first trade show in 2017. The Hyatt rooms I had booked for them were $200- per night with the corporate discount. I decided to check the Wyndham property (which is much closer to the convention center) and found that I could get a room there for 3,000 points plus $35- per night --this at a property where the cheapest rate during the trade show is $180 per night. I don't know what Wyndham points should be worth, but I am guessing a penny per point. That means that I am getting a room for $65- per night that absolutely can't be gotten for cash for less than $180-! ---That "Go Fast" rate is an outstanding deal.

So, I cancelled all of my Hyatt rooms and booked everyone at Wyndham.

Now, I know that Wyndham has no "aspirational" properties, but any program that can save my company thousands of dollars by using their points is a fantastic program.

And United Gold gets you Marriott Gold--one of the best deals out there, IMO.

Wyndham does have some aspirational properties with the Wyndham Grand. They have a nice one in Orlando and building a new one in Clearwater, Fl. Also several other Wyndham Grands, but I have not stayed at those. Small footprint, but there are some.
Old Nov 6, 16, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nhwiki View Post
So I did a fair amount of calculating how this plays out for me, and the new program simply isn't worth it for me. At the end of the day, it's about staying in a decent hotel room for a decent price. There are only 2 or 3 actual Hyatt hotels that are special in terms of "given the options, let's stay at the Hyatt in pace X, y or Z." We can easily still stay at these places without staying at the dozens of other "me too" properties, never mind the out-of-the-way HH's & HP's to maintain status.

Gold Passport and the achievable diamond benefits were the only reason we chose to stay at Hyatt, and this new laughable program means we'll go from about 45 nights or so with Hyatt next year to 9. Frankly, I see a lot of other people coming to the same conclusion, regardless of what the shills and trolls are trying to sell us on. It was very good while it lasted.
This is Hyatt's "jump the shark". I'm interested to know what the competition's strategy will be. They might just sit back and welcome travelers who spent years if not decades making Hyatt their go-to destination. They might also cut back because they can. Or they might fight amongst themselves to grab Hyatt refugees.

And yes, it was very good while it lasted. The inmates now running the asylum don't understand that it is cheaper and easier to keep a customer than to get one. Or in this case, get one back.
Old Nov 6, 16, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
This is Hyatt's "jump the shark". I'm interested to know what the competition's strategy will be. They might just sit back and welcome travelers who spent years if not decades making Hyatt their go-to destination. They might also cut back because they can. Or they might fight amongst themselves to grab Hyatt refugees.

And yes, it was very good while it lasted. The inmates now running the asylum don't understand that it is cheaper and easier to keep a customer than to get one. Or in this case, get one back.
Yes. Hilton HHonors used to be my primary program and I had mid- or top-tier status in it for nearly as long as FT has been around. But the program doesn't drive a lot of my business there despite the Hilton Gold or Diamond status. The reason the program is no longer a major driver in my choices? The kind of PR shenanigans and program devaluations a certain Jeff of Hilton HHonors infamy gave us -- an approach which Jeff Zidell of Hyatt seems to want to pursue in some way too.

The main open question I have to find out: when will the WOH award chart slaughtering take place? It's a matter of when, as Hyatt is on a cost-cutting exercise with its loyalty program customers paying for the WOH cost-cutting.
Old Nov 6, 16, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; United Silver; Global Entry
Having read this entire thread, I will now add my disappointment to the list. I really can only echo what many others have said.

I became a HGP member and challenged my way into Diamond in mid-late 2014 and had not looked back. If my travel plans remain the same, I will requalify for Diamond this year with 25 stays and 43 nights. Every one of my stays has been or will be for leisure. I would estimate that I will spend $12-15k with Hyatt this year. The actual spend may be frightening to me as, this year alone, on eligible rates, my wife and I have traveled to Ziva Cancun, Ziva San Jose del Cabo, and the GH Playa del Carmen. We leave for another weeklong trip to Ziva Cancun with two rooms booked in a few weeks.

Getting to 25 stays has been difficult, but I have done it because I enjoy Hyatt and have been treated exceptionally well as a Diamond member. I cannot do 55/60 nights. This is especially true when all 55/60 of those nights must be paid nights. Even if I were to shift stays away from other brands (which as has been repeatedly expressed is often not possible given the limited footprint) I would *never* be able to use an award night. I would be too concerned that doing so would cause me to fall short of the 55/60. This is the same dilemma that I currently experience where I am extremely reluctant to not always pay an eligible rate for at least the first night of any stay.

As I wrote above, I am disappointed. I understand that even if I were to hit $15k per year in spend, I am not in the top tier of what Hyatt is trying to attract/maintain as a Globalist. However, that is not what disappoints me as that is a business decision which Hyatt is entirely within its rights to make. It is that Hyatt, at least for me and others in my position, has made its loyalty program no longer worth chasing. Incidentally, I am sure this will please my wife who has been a paragon of patience when it came to attaining 25 stays...the breakfast benefit was the only real selling point for her.

I will have well over 60 nights in hotels in 2016. I will likely have close to (if not more than) $20,000 in total hotel spend for 2016. No matter how much I may have wanted, it could not all have been done with Hyatt.

SPG/Marriott will be my program of choice for 2017 (Hilton Diamond remaining my backup status). That is something that those who know me well, and know that if there is a Hyatt nearby I am in the Hyatt, will be absolutely astounded to hear next year.

Last edited by duhe; Nov 6, 16 at 3:37 pm

Search this Thread