World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 16, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
OMG, this can't be true. You know what this means? The merger of Marriott & SPG will result in rewards program changes that create a backlash from loyal SPG members that will no longer be able to achieve status based solely on 25 stays.

Imagine the outrage from these changes across their loyals, they will seek out new programs and start to consider WoH, and other companies. I'm sure the mass exodus will drive down their RevPAR and their customers will flee to the completion. This will signal the downhill slide that Marriott-SPG is doomed. All their loyal members will post to the boards how things used to be and how great they used to be treated. Perhaps the loyal SPG members will start to praise the benefits of the WoH program and brazenly announce to the world that they are taking their business to Hyatt.

Maybe the new Marriott-SPG tier levels will even be renamed from Silver-Gold-Platinum to something that appeals more to the Millennials. Oh my, how things will change....
It's rather interesting to see when you're assertions are countered by, umm, reality, you move the goalposts.
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Possibly correct, but in the mean time it is reality. And if SPG/Marriott change then Hilton is still 30 stays.... and those chains have way more of a footprint than Hyatt.
Hilton's point redemption system is what keeps me away from their program. A sliding scale based on property and seasonality. That change alone is what drove me away from Hilton and over to Hyatt several years ago, I never looked back.
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Please stick to the subject at hand. I have cleared up some posts that got personal.

Thanks

Markie - Co-Mod Hyatt
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's rather interesting to see when you're assertions are countered by, umm, reality, you move the goalposts.
I'd like to think it was a calculated plan on my part to develop a correspondence that lead to a specific statement with impact. That's how I choose to view it and I'm sticking with it.
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Because the comparison is still apples and oranges. Award stays will still count with Marriott/SPG. Credit card nights/stays will still be granted. Room count will be 10 times the size as Hyatt. Multiple rooms per night will also likely be counted. All of these factors make it far easier to achieve whatever level will be set out by the new program. People in all parts of the world will be able to stay--unlike Hyatt where many parts of the world simply have no Hyatt option at all.
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Hilton's point redemption system is what keeps me away from their program. A sliding scale based on property and seasonality. That change alone is what drove me away from Hilton and over to Hyatt several years ago, I never looked back.
I too dislike this aspect of their program, but they've way more hotels in total, include award nights for status and give Diamonds 1K pts. Granted 1K for Hilton is less significant than Hyatt, but it's something in the face of Hyatt's proscribed nothing.
Old Nov 6, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Um, you can't get top-tier status with Marriott with only 25 stays. The article pointed out that getting Hyatt Diamond status for only 25 stays does not exist anywhere else from competing chains.

Are you now saying this is inaccurate? You would only be Marriott Silver with 25 stays. Marriott Silver is not their top-tier, Platinum is. Why are we having this conversation? And again, it helps in making my point above, you and others are so misinformed and your emotions are leading to inaccurate conclusions. Read thru the WoH changes again, and then do it again. Then lets have an informed discussion based on the facts please
I'm looking at the Marriott Rewards website and it shows Silver status after 10 nights, Gold after 50, and Platinum after 75. Marriott has never granted status based on number of stays, only number of nights.
Old Nov 6, 16, 8:23 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
I'm looking at the Marriott Rewards website and it shows Silver status after 10 nights, Gold after 50, and Platinum after 75. Marriott has never granted status based on number of stays, only number of nights.
Don't let facts get in the way of someone's internet diatribe.
Old Nov 6, 16, 8:30 am

Marriott and SPG are linked. You do 25 Starwood stays and you get Platinum with Marriott. Simple as that.

The SPG AMEX automatically gives you 2 stays/5 nights every January and if you have the business card you get another 2 stays/5 nights. So you can do it with as little as 21 stays.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Nov 6, 16 at 8:37 am
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
Don't let facts get in the way of someone's internet diatribe.
But he is wrong. Starwood 25 stays gets you Marriott Platinum if you link accounts.
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Moving forward

Some interesting reading this morning ....

Anyhow, I do like Hyatt and will miss the Diamond benefits when they are gone (for me). As I note upstream, the 4pm check-out has always been huge, and I have never failed to receive it (with Andaz Maui being the only place where I've even had to push on them about it ...)

Thus I am trying to think about what to do moving forward. Since I am still a Diamond through 28 Feb 2017 and seem to be slotted in still as a Globulist through, what, 28 Feb 2018 ... ? ... and since Hyatt works for me when I can find a Hyatt, my inclination for the next 14-16 months (not sure what will be optimal come 1 Jan 2018) is to
  • continue to stay at Hyatts when I can, since I enjoy them and the Diamond/Globular benefits
  • but not to go out of way to stay at them when it is inconvenient and/or unnecessary (not so hard to substitute LaQuinta for HP, for example)

Then there is the Hilton vs. SPG/Marriott business that folks are writing about .... I must say that Hilton's stinginess with late check-outs kind of puts me off (I'm a fake Hilton Diamond right now), so it sounds like rather than subbing in LaQuintas for HPs, I might start calculating whether in 2017 I can shoehorn in 23 SPG/Marriott stays (I have the SPG card) ... ?

I guess what I am concluding -- writing these things is good therapy -- is that there is no real reason to bail on Hyatt yet, but if not being so Hyatt-compulsive is in the offing, even during next year (when the small footprint makes it impossible to do 55 of my 70 or so annual nights in Hyatt), that SPG/Marriott is the only plausible Plan B investment ....
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:29 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
But he is wrong. Starwood 25 stays gets you Marriott Platinum if you link accounts.
I was only trying to correct the statement made that 25 stays at Marriott would get one only Silver status.
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:33 am

I was only trying to correct the statement made that 25 stays at Marriott would get one only Silver status.
0 stays at Marriott gets you silver status. If you have the SPG Amex--even if you don't use you it--you get Marriott silver status.
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Wyndham is Pretty Damn Good.

I have been shifting a lot of business because of these changes and have been looking around at other programs. I had recently booked a Wyndham property at a trade show Germany (in a huge city where there are no Hyatts), and had joined their program too to get the points.

I just got my points credited yesterday and thought I would experiment with some test bookings. So, I looked at bookings for my contractors at my first trade show in 2017. The Hyatt rooms I had booked for them were $200- per night with the corporate discount. I decided to check the Wyndham property (which is much closer to the convention center) and found that I could get a room there for 3,000 points plus $35- per night --this at a property where the cheapest rate during the trade show is $180 per night. I don't know what Wyndham points should be worth, but I am guessing a penny per point. That means that I am getting a room for $65- per night that absolutely can't be gotten for cash for less than $180-! ---That "Go Fast" rate is an outstanding deal.

So, I cancelled all of my Hyatt rooms and booked everyone at Wyndham.

Now, I know that Wyndham has no "aspirational" properties, but any program that can save my company thousands of dollars by using their points is a fantastic program.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
0 stays at Marriott gets you silver status. If you have the SPG Amex--even if you don't use you it--you get Marriott silver status.
And United Gold gets you Marriott Gold--one of the best deals out there, IMO.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 6, 16 at 10:11 am
Old Nov 6, 16, 9:37 am

Marriott also owns Starwood. It would be like Hyatt saying you can do 21/25 stays at Full Service Hyatt's to get Diamond Status and you have to do 60 nights at Hyatt Place/Hyatt House to get the same status. With Marriott, you have the option to use any of the 11 Starwood brands to get status with Marriott.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: