Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think the most dramatic aspect of these changes --not for me or most FTers, but for Hyatt-- is that they eliminate all Diamond rewards for staying at HH/HP. With no upgrades (nothing to upgrade to in most cases) and no welcome amenity, Globalists staying at HH/HP will receive treatment that's no different from anyone else. In the past, the 500 points certainly weren't a huge motivator, but in conjunction with stay credits, probably brought a fair bit of extra business from Diamonds.

I know the narrative in this thread is mostly of el-cheapo Diamonds staying at $50 HPs, but in reality, there are quite a few HHs/HPs that run >>$200. Just look at Austin, Seattle, heck, even PDX airport in summer.

By my count, Hyatt has 75 HHs and 272 HPs -- more than 50% of the entire footprint. It seems to be the height of foolishness to eliminate the motivation for Hyatt's best customers to stay at these types hotels.
This is 100% true. Hyatt definitely needs to look at this. If you best customers are spending more and more $$$ at your hotels to get a certain status level, and more than HALF of your very small footprint is hotels that give them, literally, ZERO benefit over anyone else, this should be fixed. They should replace the amenity at HP/HH, and make it 1000 a stay for Diamonds, even if they are eliminating it elsewhere. Given that there are HP/HH that I have seen for 300+, it is not like they are all that cheap. Usually they are cheaper in my view, but I usually see them only a little cheaper than competing Hyatt properties in areas that have both types. No upgrades, no breakfast, no amenity...and over half your hotels? Hyatt really needs to see that and correct it.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So I posted a very polite note on one of their FB posts touting the new program, indicating that I was disappointed that as a multi-year Diamond, and that Hyatt does not have the footprint to demand only night-based qualification. Explained that I as going to have to move HP/GH business to one chain, and HP business to another. Was polite and did not mention the names of other chains.

The reply I received about 15 minutes later:
Originally Posted by Hyatt FB team
After researching trends of our members over the course of Hyatt Gold Passport it has been discovered that a majority of guest are staying longer than one night at a time, this has driven us to update the program in such ways. ^CG
So, not even thanking me for my loyalty.

Once I firm up my travel schedule for the first five weeks of 2015, which includes multiple stays in cities with a competitive HR or GH, I will send a note to my Hyatt concierge with reservation details, suggesting that a lack of loyalty runs both ways.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
So I posted a very polite note on one of their FB posts touting the new program, indicating that I was disappointed that as a multi-year Diamond, and that Hyatt does not have the footprint to demand only night-based qualification. Explained that I as going to have to move HP/GH business to one chain, and HP business to another. Was polite and did not mention the names of other chains.

The reply I received about 15 minutes later:

So, not even thanking me for my loyalty.

Once I firm up my travel schedule for the first five weeks of 2015, which includes multiple stays in cities with a competitive HR or GH, I will send a note to my Hyatt concierge with reservation details, suggesting that a lack of loyalty runs both ways.
Such responses ooze arrogance Hyatt. I just reached Marriott Silver Elite since Hyatt changed to this crazy new 'loyalty' scheme. Needless to say it was much cheaper than booking a Hyatt and I'll basically find a Starwoods/Marriott premium property, which equates to a GH, virtually anywhere in the world my travels take me. Did I mention cheaper too?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Good luck finding another hotel chain that allows your family of 8 to free ride on breakfast with a single room.
Hampton Inn and HIX are two that come to mind. Obviously you need 2 rooms or a mighty big suite for 8.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Good luck, Hyatt.

Last edited by cmglobal; Nov 3, 2016 at 5:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jpdx

I know the narrative in this thread is mostly of el-cheapo Diamonds staying at $50 HPs, but in reality, there are quite a few HHs/HPs that run >>$200. Just look at Austin, Seattle, heck, even PDX airport in summer.
I mostly travel in California, and this is very true here. I've seen HP priced higher than HR sometimes.

It's a fiction that some members game HGP by staying in low-priced HPs, even when they in fact are low priced. In reality, HGP is gaming the guest. If none of your stays are high-end, then obviously there is no leveraging of HP against PH. If some of your stays are PH and some are HP, then you're paying PH rates to get few Diamond benefits at HP.

Most importantly, Hyatt has chosen to bring lower-tier properties into its portfolio. No one is gaming them by staying at THEIR properties. It's like going to a restaurant and ordering sparkling water instead of wine. Sure, you're not bringing in as much revenue as ordering wine, but you're bringing in revenue. If they are losing money on sparkling water, then they shouldn't put it on the menu. But if it's on the menu, you're not gaming the restaurant by purchasing off their menu.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
All this is confusing but I would say it is designed to get rid of the FT Diamonds. I gave up on Hyatt when they would not match my MR Plat to HY Diamond from twitter. But Hilton did.

Just no reason to stay at a Hyatt. Lounges have gone down in quality. Most Park Hyatt's don't have lounges. Some are hyped up - like PH Tokyo, Sydney, NY but I don't find them that desirable. Tokyo and Hong Kong Hyatt's - the lounges just don't compare to Marriott's, particularly in Hong Kong.

I have assume Hyatt is trying to up their customer base in hope of a higher value to be taken over. Maybe IHG or Accor would take over - with Hyatt being a premium brands.

Overall - this doesn't make sense. To some extend they are copying Marriott - with MR Plat (75 nights - 15 from credit card = 60 for Platinum). Courtyard provides no benefits for Elites, maybe a better view room - that is it.

Time will tell. But Hyatt is going to have to combine with some other chain.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:44 pm

Globalist -- Is It a Favored Term of the Alt-Right?

Please let me start by stating that if I got this wrong, I will be pleased to stand corrected.

A few moments ago, on Chris Hayes's show on MSNBC, he was reporting on activities of the KKK in regard to the upcoming election, and its implied support of the Republican candidate. He and his guest appeared to agree that "Globalist" is a favored terminology of many white nationalist groups, as well as Steve Bannon of Breitbart.

Input from others who viewed this clip would be appreciated.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Nov 2, 2016 at 6:45 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Maybe that's their end game: cultivate a high-end base and then try to sell themselves to Marriott.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to give Hyatt a little break here on the dings for their small footprint, let me say that in Tokyo, Hyatt is hands-down the better option than SPG.

I feel the same way about Maui.

Now the reserve may be true in many places, and maybe even these change a bit now with Marriott in the SPG world, but with everyone saying they can always find a comparable or better hotel from another US chain, I think it's worth recognizing some Hyatt highlights.

My takeaway, as mentioned before, is: for high-end, don't be loyal. Just book through Virtuoso or FHR, get your breakfast and upgrade with status, and at the same time lower the revenue for the hotel.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
All this is confusing but I would say it is designed to get rid of the FT Diamonds. I gave up on Hyatt when they would not match my MR Plat to HY Diamond from twitter. But Hilton did.

Just no reason to stay at a Hyatt. Lounges have gone down in quality. Most Park Hyatt's don't have lounges. Some are hyped up - like PH Tokyo, Sydney, NY but I don't find them that desirable. Tokyo and Hong Kong Hyatt's - the lounges just don't compare to Marriott's, particularly in Hong Kong.

I have assume Hyatt is trying to up their customer base in hope of a higher value to be taken over. Maybe IHG or Accor would take over - with Hyatt being a premium brands.

Overall - this doesn't make sense. To some extend they are copying Marriott - with MR Plat (75 nights - 15 from credit card = 60 for Platinum). Courtyard provides no benefits for Elites, maybe a better view room - that is it.

I haven't been to a Marriott in Hong Kong (where I'm typing from on a layover, ironically). But it's really better than the GH here? The HK GH lounge is pretty good.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
I haven't been to a Marriott in Hong Kong (where I'm typing from on a layover, ironically). But it's really better than the GH here? The HK GH lounge is pretty good.
Could be comparing it to the Hyatt Regency. That lounge leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmglobal
I think I'm out, too. I should be the customer they're targeting with over 100,000 bass points per year. But I just booked a guest of honor stay for my wife at the Park Hyatt Beijing and they put her on their bottom floor and essentially treated her like dirt. I'm supposed to trust these properties to upgrade me to a suite at their discretion?

Good luck, Hyatt.
You should have seen what Andaz Maui did to my son on his honeymoon which was booked 8 months in advance through My Hyatt Concierge, even they were pissed!!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Just to give Hyatt a little break here on the dings for their small footprint, let me say that in Tokyo, Hyatt is hands-down the better option than SPG.
Absolutely. Westin Tokyo is about on par with the Hyatt Regency. All three other Hyatt options are far superior.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Now the reserve may be true in many places, and maybe even these change a bit now with Marriott in the SPG world, but with everyone saying they can always find a comparable or better hotel from another US chain, I think it's worth recognizing some Hyatt highlights.
For me personally it's not a matter of finding a comparable or better property
It's a matter of finding *any* property where I go if I want to build up elite credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.