Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Question: would Intercontinental's Ambassador Program be a better fit, then this new Hyatt program?
That depends on what level you want to compare it to.

But I think that there are far fewer Intercontinental hotels than Hyatt hotels.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Hardly, consider:
- Free Cat 1-4 night when you stay in 5 different brands
*likely worthless as it has a 120 day expiration, and at best a wash with loss of W1
Don't count on getting more than 2 free Cat 1-4 nights with this. This is not a new "benefit" that resets each year.

From the T&C: "Qualifying stays for a 5-Brand Free Night Award are measured over the life of a Member’s Program membership ..." and "5-Brand Free Night Awards are valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance."

What this means is, the 5-brand award can only be earned at most, twice in a lifetime. Currently 12 Hyatt brands, so staying at 5 different ones gives you 1 award, and if you stay at another different 5 of the remaining 7, you get another reward. That's it.

So, in effect, this is a stay promo, with a qualifying period that runs starting from 1 March 2017 until forever, and you can only get a max of 2 awards out of it, unless someday they add 3 more brands.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Andaz5
Take a look at the comments on Hyatt face book page, complete PR meltdown. They keep saying it's not about revenue; it's about rewarding our loyal customers....

Well it is all about revenue.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmar.../#28be17b75826

But... there is a part of me that does not blame Hyatt to reserve the top tier elite level for those who spend the most. It seems I'm one of the rare flyertalk members who achieve Diamond by nights stayed, average over 60 nights a year.

My average room rate is $225 a night, total annual spend over $12,000. Why should someone who does mattress runs at a Hyatt Place paying around $79 a night for 25 stays, spending less than $2,500 a year earn top tier elite level?

What I don't like with this change is the stupid names; the disappearance of the amenity, regency club closure bonus, and the point bonus needs to be raised to 50% for Globalist.

Even though I spend over 60 nights a year at Hyatt, they have reduced my perks as well.

In the end I think Hyatt shot it self in the foot with this one due to poor leadership in Chicago. At this point Marriott / Starwood looks far more attractive than Hyatt
^This sums me up completely.

My average stay length in Tokyo is 14 days. I don't like changing properties, even though the Park Hyatt and Hyatt Regency are only 500m apart. I check-in to one and stay there for the duration.

Since my average overseas trip is two weeks, which would cost me $140- in airport parking fees, minimum, I always check-in to a HP for the PSFS (Park-Stay-Fly) rate which averages $150- and can park my car free for two weeks. Although, the two I use at my home airports know me and have let me park as long as a month for no additional charge. So, yeah, I get about 10 nights at HP per year, but almost never sleep there.

The rest of my stays are shorter business trips of 3-6 days, usually at Grand or HRs.

I'll make the new Glob requirements easily, but am upset about the loss of the benefits you mention.

--And, I really hate the stupid names.

I have just switched my last two business trips of the year to Marriott and Hilton, for a total of 20 nights that Hyatt loses, and I am only Gold at Marriott.
So, yeah, I don't like this slap in the face.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:38 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
For those who have stated the issue with this criteria is lack of Hyatt's footprint.....BINGO.

That's why Hyatt is foolish to try to force the high stay requirements on folks.

I predicting a mass exit of current Diamonds come 2018. Those that made it will say "who cares", but Hyatt should when it affects their bottom line.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
T
But... there is a part of me that does not blame Hyatt to reserve the top tier elite level for those who spend the most. It seems I'm one of the rare flyertalk members who achieve Diamond by nights stayed, average over 60 nights a year.

My average room rate is $225 a night, total annual spend over $12,000. Why should someone who does mattress runs at a Hyatt Place paying around $79 a night for 25 stays, spending less than $2,500 a year earn top tier elite level?
I don't stay at many HP/HH, but am not sure your assumptions about underlying profitability are accurate.

There's a reason the limited service properties are proliferating. With dramatically lower costs, they can generate very nice profits notwithstanding the lower room rates. And it's not all that uncommon for HP rates to bump right against full service rates (hello, Waikiki).

Bottom line: Just because you (or I) are avergaing $225 per night at a HR/GH, doesn't mean you (or I) are more profitable than the road warrior who's logging most of his nights at HPs for $129/night.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:00 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Sounds exactly like the kinda diamond that Hyatt is wanting to eject from their top standard tier.

Can't say I would blame them.
+++1 - exactly. I understand Hyatt's move. And never understood the 25 stay qualification method. I knew this will go away some day. I get my nights (mostly leisure) with nights, for this year 56 nights. I rarely go above 15 stays....
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Sounds exactly like the kinda diamond that Hyatt is wanting to eject from their top standard tier.

Can't say I would blame them.
A lot of the ejected Diamonds are going to move a lot of their stays to competitors. I for one will be using up a rather large stash of points and then put Hyatt pretty much behind me.

Can't say you can blame me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Twinmommy19
How about purchased points? Hyatt limits each member to 55k max but would those be considered base points?
From the T&C: "Hyatt, through a third-party vendor, allows Members to purchase Bonus Points for themselves or to give directly to other Members. Program membership is required to purchase or receive Bonus Points. Points purchased or claimed through Hyatt’s vendor are Bonus Points pursuant to these Terms and do not count toward Member’s qualification for elite status in the Program."

However, incidental non-stay charges do count for base points, depending on property. @:-) So, if you happen to work near a Hyatt, and buy your coffee every day from there, that might count towards status. Ditto, if you buy breakfast or lunch. I suppose, in some imaginary scenario, someone working across the street from an urban Hyatt who pays to park their car there, and buys coffee every day, and lunch once in awhile, could theoretically rack up elite status if the prices were high enough. Or, maybe via frequent mani-pedi's at the spa. Or, maybe an expensive bridal shower spa day. Of course, all of that is if the outlet is owned/operated by the hotel, and if a "participating outlet".

So, if you're getting married, have your big blowout bridal shower/hen and/or bachelor party at a Hyatt, gain Globalist status, then use it on your honeymoon along with your free night and enjoy the Regency Club. To Hyatt, you're more loyal than the guy who spent 25 nights at a Hyatt Place in Timbuktu.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Question: would Intercontinental's Ambassador Program be a better fit, then this new Hyatt program?
I stayed at the IC O2 a couple of weeks ago.

The check-in conversation went like this:

Agent: I see you are Spire Ambassador member.
Me: Yes
Agent: Thank you for your loyalty. We are able to offer you Club access at a discounted rate of Ł75 (~$92).
Me: <stunned silence>
Me (recovering after a few seconds): Err ... no, thank you!
Me: Do I have to pay for breakfast on the rate I've booked?
Agent: Yes, it's Ł21 plus service charge.
Me: <second stunned silence>
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
A lot of the ejected Diamonds are going to move a lot of their stays to competitors. I for one will be using up a rather large stash of points and then put Hyatt pretty much behind me.

Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by JackE

My plan exactly. Have been Diamond since 1992 but since 2009 it's pretty much been on my dime. I have requalified for this year but can get status at other hotel chains through Amex Plat or BA GGL so I'm moving on.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P

While this might be the reason in the US, where Hyatt has a good foodprint including relatively cheap Hyatt Place properties, this is clearly wrong elsewhere.

With my 35 stays/40 nights, I also spend roughly $12000 (because Hyatt nights outside the US are rather $300/night). So the revenue I generate is roughly the same as your's with 60 nights ... But I'm very far away from the 55/60 nights ...
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by 59Impala
+++1 - exactly. I understand Hyatt's move. And never understood the 25 stay qualification method. I knew this will go away some day. I get my nights (mostly leisure) with nights, for this year 56 nights. I rarely go above 15 stays....
Let's not beat around the bush. Even with nights, there will be those that stay only at PH, and those "scum" that do 60 nights at HP. Let's Eliminate both stays and nights and make it simple... something that everyone can understand... revenue only.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cygnet
From the T&C: "Hyatt, through a third-party vendor, allows Members to purchase Bonus Points for themselves or to give directly to other Members. Program membership is required to purchase or receive Bonus Points. Points purchased or claimed through Hyatt’s vendor are Bonus Points pursuant to these Terms and do not count toward Member’s qualification for elite status in the Program."

However, incidental non-stay charges do count for base points, depending on property. @:-) So, if you happen to work near a Hyatt, and buy your coffee every day from there, that might count towards status. Ditto, if you buy breakfast or lunch. I suppose, in some imaginary scenario, someone working across the street from an urban Hyatt who pays to park their car there, and buys coffee every day, and lunch once in awhile, could theoretically rack up elite status if the prices were high enough. Or, maybe via frequent mani-pedi's at the spa. Or, maybe an expensive bridal shower spa day. Of course, all of that is if the outlet is owned/operated by the hotel, and if a "participating outlet".

So, if you're getting married, have your big blowout bridal shower/hen and/or bachelor party at a Hyatt, gain Globalist status, then use it on your honeymoon along with your free night and enjoy the Regency Club. To Hyatt, you're more loyal than the guy who spent 25 nights at a Hyatt Place in Timbuktu.
I'd call this the hotel's way to groom the event and meeting planner/host crowd. One paid stay for a day or a weekend could be enough to get Hyatt top-tier under the new Hyatt program. Some of those who have never stepped foot in a Hyatt before planning their wedding will end up as a top-tier member in the new Hyatt "loyalty" program. Creative event planners of the world should be very excited by this new cash-to-play program. Frequent travelers, on the other hand, mainly get the short end of the stick from Hyatt's new cash-to-play program. Not that this will end all the ways to game this game.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by schriste
Let's not beat around the bush. Even with nights, there will be those that stay only at PH, and those "scum" that do 60 nights at HP. Let's Eliminate both stays and nights and make it simple... something that everyone can understand... revenue only.
The HP crowd now needs double.

And yes this change is a step towards revenue. Save some whining for when that happens cause we all know it's coming. And before anyone says it - ALL frequent guest or flyer programs are there for people who spend revenue. That's what businesses like Hyatt care about.

And Hyatt has surely modeled these changes - FT represents a small community of their overall market.

In the end, we'll all move on with life; I suspect many who claim they will burn and go will still be posting here in a year as globalists. This thread will be interesting to read in 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.