World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 29, 16, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
These sorts of comments are not only denigrating, they're inaccurate.

60 nights at HP/HH for $99/night will still score you Globalist.

Meanwhile 35 nights at a mix of HR/GH/PH for $500/night will not.
Truth.
Those of us who do most of our business internationally or in the center of major cities are paying a much higher average per night price.

I am at 71 nights so far this year and 22 of those were at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Only about 10 nights were at Hyatt Place, and those were to get the free long-term parking near the airports I fly out of. I often don't even stay at the Hyatt Place airport locations, I just check-in at 4 - 5 AM, freshen-up, and take the shuttle to the airport to catch my feeder flights to the hubs.

I have already accumulated about 40 nights at Marriott this year because of the free Gold status for United elites, I have found that I like the Marriott properties in Asia every bit as much as the Hyatts. For instance, I normally stay at the GH Erawan in BKK, but switched to the Renaissance Ratchaprasong for my August stay and found that the room upgrade was better as a Marriott Gold, and the club was actually nicer.

Marriott points earning is not so good, but I haven't used any points for free nights at a Hyatt in years. Also, only 2 of my DSUs worked this year-and that was at the PHT of all places!

Originally Posted by kevin2dx View Post
Hey Zombie! I was in NRT ANA lounge last Friday late afternoon (Oct 21st to be exact.) transiting to PVG. Just wondering which day last week you went?
I was there Monday (the club near gate 46). I got to my home airport on Monday night, took the shuttle to Hyatt Place, switched suitcases out of my car, and flew to Germany on the next day--By the way, I am staying at a lowly Ramada because of proximity to the trade show (there are only an H2, a Novotel and the Ramada within walking distance of this convention center) and I like it just fine. It's an excellent business hotel, and the staff are really motivated and helpful.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 29, 16 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic View Post
For those of us who have up coming stays at a Hyatt, let the FD your feelings about this. I myself will let them know my displeasure of this change and will be moving my 2017 stays to SPG/Marriott solely base on this ill conceive program. I hope the tidal wave of negative opinion will percolate up to corp ladder to remove the team that dreamt and approve this piece of C&@!.
Canceling paid stays will be 1,000 times more effective than complaining to the FDA. The corporate spreadsheets are where the real communication takes place.
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
I feel its important to remember the new World of Hyatt tagline : World of Hyatt is about building community and engaging with high-end travelers

If you are a point hoarding free loader, the gig is up.
I've never stayed in a Hyatt Place because they are not located in the places I visit. All my Hyatt stays have been Park, Grand or Regency but under these changes I won't qualify for top tier.
I won't be weeping about it, just staying elsewhere and 'moving on'. There is plenty of choice on offer with other providers.
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
They are really asking for 70 nights per year, given the need to use various award nights accrued. Who switches from 15 nights a year to 70 based on what they are offering? If they were inclined to do that, they would have already jumped to 50 nights under Diamond.
Just counting those award nights would make a *huge* difference for me. I already had trouble justifying points stays under the current scheme, since P&C gets full stay credit, and award nights don't.

Under the current scheme, I can use Diamond amenity points toward P&C and work towards qualification. Under the new scheme, I get free night awards that expire quickly. That means I'd probably end up using them on stays I'd already planned -- but that means giving up elite credit.

It is probably hyperbole, but it feels like Hyatt is penalizing Diamonds who redeem awards.
Old Oct 30, 16, 12:40 am

Canceling paid stays will be 1,000 times more effective than complaining to the FDA. The corporate spreadsheets are where the real communication takes place.
Maybe we should start another thread on cancelled stays due to dissatisfaction with WOH changes. Can include also stays that would've gone to Hyatt but instead went to competitors.

For each post, include:
- Hyatt hotel name
- Checkin date
- Checkout date (total nights)
- Rate per night
- Alternative hotel that the stay ultimately went to

That should give Mr. Zidell an indication of how foolish his action was.
Old Oct 30, 16, 1:23 am

Programs: IC RA / Marriott PP+Amb / WOH Globalist / SA Gold
Thanks to Hyatt.. making me to focus all my stays to IHG and SPG..
Even if I want to maintain Globalist, in Asia, there are not many hyatts to stay..
IHG has lots of HI, CP, HIX properties everywhere. That's why they can set 75QN threshold for Royal Ambassador status..(and it comes with free minibar, guaranteed upgrade and club!)
New Hyatt.. I don't think individual hotels offer suite upgrade very well to globalist.
Then... Same 4 DSU + Club(BF) + suite upgrade sometimes.. for 60QN.. really?
Old Oct 30, 16, 1:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
These sorts of comments are not only denigrating, they're inaccurate.

60 nights at HP/HH for $99/night will still score you Globalist.

Meanwhile 35 nights at a mix of HR/GH/PH for $500/night will not.

So just make catgeory HP/HH 0.5 = 120 nights = Globalist

For categories like PH Tokyo, Milan, Vendome, NY or Maldives they should have 1.5 = 40 nights = Globalist

This would actually be more fair
Old Oct 30, 16, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Hyattdiamant View Post
So just make catgeory HP/HH 0.5 = 120 nights = Globalist (...) this would actually be more fair
There are plenty of non-HP, non-HH properties with attractive rates. (Just not near me!)

The new system seems more marginally more open to abuse by those seeking to game the system, as manufacturing stays is harder than manufacturing nights for most.

Wait for a promo, check in to a cheap property for 21 nights. Rinse & repeat.

You'll "earn" Globalist and the bonus points earned from the promos will do just nicely for that Hawaii redemption, which will now be in a suite and thanks to the enhancements won't even cost you a dime in resort fees.

Genius
Old Oct 30, 16, 2:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
There are plenty of non-HP, non-HH properties with attractive rates. (Just not near me!)

The new system seems more marginally more open to abuse by those seeking to game the system, as manufacturing stays is harder than manufacturing nights for most.

Wait for a promo, check in to a cheap property for 21 nights. Rinse & repeat.

You'll "earn" Globalist and the bonus points earned from the promos will do just nicely for that Hawaii redemption, which will now be in a suite and thanks to the enhancements won't even cost you a dime in resort fees.

Genius
Well were i live their isnt a Hyatt and the closest one for me is to catch a plane.
Old Oct 30, 16, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
If guests don't want welcome amenities, then why is Hyatt insulting Courtesy Card members by giving it to them?
Hyatt is doing this benefit change as a cost-reduction exercise, at the expense of its current Diamond customers in the main.
Old Oct 30, 16, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Canceling paid stays will be 1,000 times more effective than complaining to the FDA.
Is it? Has any Gold Passport change ever been undone by customer revolt?
Old Oct 30, 16, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Is it? Has any Gold Passport change ever been undone by customer revolt?
I can't recall any time when Hyatt GoldPassport has comprehensively changed the program participation benefits arrangement as extensively as it has this time. That said, hotel customers don't commonly revolt to demand that hotel loyalty program changes get undone; rather revolting customers more commonly just shop alternatives than to even write in a complaint.
Old Oct 30, 16, 4:18 am

Hyatt's other self-inflicted wound is forgetting there are economic cycles. The kids who came up with this new program may not have even experienced one.

When the next recession hits, the guests who would have stuck with Hyatt will either be long gone or be far short of the 65 or 70 total nights Hyatt is now expecting from top tier members.
Agree, but it doesn't have to be economic. Hypothetical example... Loyal "Jill" for (pulling number out of hat) 10+ years. Back in the day, pure road warrior, young, single, 70+ nights, high-spend, Diamond no problem. Fast forward to today, married, kids, different job, company travel cost-controls tighter, video conferencing, remote collaboration tools, smart phones, always connected, etc., so just barely keeping 25 stays (often with some awful excuses to corp travel desk , plus out-of-pocket spend for more personal paid stays) to maintain Diamond. It's a stretch, but she's grown use to the core benefits, so won't drop to a lower tier. She's a good income stream to Hyatt for a decade. Now, she has to decide, is it still worth it? Lower tiers with less benefits, or more spend/nights, just to get back some of the benefits lost? (And, the corollary, maybe there's something else better, now?)

Compare to new target market "cHip" (millennial?) Globalist...single big spend of $20K, or 60+ days on a big project launch...2 years later, moved on, new job, new project...still loyal? Hyatt's gambling on attracting the (maybe ongoing) big payday, rather than continue to cater to the steady (albeit lower) stream. When "cHip" drops from top-tier, maybe he'll see value in the lower tiers, and will stay loyal. Hopefully. But if "Jill" didn't see value and dropped out, why would "cHip" see anything?

Hyatt opened a can-of-worms by messing with "loyalty". Changing the entire program means every current "loyal" GP member will now ask themselves "Is it (still) worth it? " And, like Jill, in the back of their mind will lurk, "I wonder if there's a better (SPG? HH? etc.) value? " Those aren't positive loyalty-inducing thoughts. Forcing all your customers to reassess their loyalty value is not a good idea.

If Hyatt had kept the tiers/benefits/qualifications the same, and added some new tiers (inc. another mid-tier), with new (better?) benefits and maybe (for a new higher-than-Diamond top-tier), higher qualifications, even spend-based, then the conversation in most minds would probably be, "Gee, wonder if I can get to that new level? " and "Well, if I keep doing what I've been doing, at least nothing changes. Either way, I should stick with it (Hyatt GP). "

Recognize today's high-end/high-spend/high-night elites -- they deserve it. Attract them to new tiers with new benefits tailored to them. Just don't do it by hacking up existing tiers to redistribute the benefits, all while trying to hide behind name changes and changed requirements. Some bean-counter, somewhere, must have figured that attracting a new customer and earning their loyalty is a lot cheaper than the cost of retaining old ones. So, therefore, Hyatt's new loyalty message is: level up (spend more) or game over.
Old Oct 30, 16, 6:30 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP 75K, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist),National Exec Elite
I won't quote it, but I think Cygnet's post above really nails it.

I will be sending a hard copy letter to Jeff and perhaps others will want to do the same.

At least in theory, they have until 12/31 to claw back these loyalty destroying changes.
Old Oct 30, 16, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Some people would arguably pay EXTRA for that view!

Don't give Hyatt any ideas, this may well be the new "category" of rooms that Globalists can upgrade their DSUs to in future!
I would pay extra!

Search this Thread