World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 29, 16, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Bye-bye Hyatt...hello Marriott

Due to UAL million miles, gifted to Marriott gold, more or less forever.

Diamond since '98, but why stay with a program that's now downgraded me?
Old Oct 29, 16, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime View Post
Due to UAL million miles, gifted to Marriott gold, more or less forever.
Are you sure that relationship will continue down the line? Isn't Starwood's partner Delta? Just not sure the remaining airline partner, after the merger is final, has been decided, and I'm not ready to move all my stays to Marriott until the official word is out.
Old Oct 29, 16, 10:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
Yes, I'm concerned that applying the DSU's will still be difficult and that getting a complimentary suite upgrade could be few and far between. Overall though, for me, these program changes are mostly positive and if it means fewer top tier members in the future, that's better for the elite members as well.
How can you say the program is better? You will get less points next year (elimination of both 1W and RC closure bonus) The only thing that may be better is you get more suites.

I for one get suites when I don't ask. Maybe I am just lucky. And for the times that I have asked to use a suite certificate I am rarely succesful (Andaz properties, European, and many resort properties come to mind.) So I guess it could be better if there was less "diamonds.globalists"

Originally Posted by Hyattdiamant View Post
100% with you.

Can just imagine how many people who will try to stay at hyatt house and places between 2017/1/1-2017/2/28.. Hyatt should eliminate this option to.
Just the opposite I imagine. This change would make people want to stay at the Andaz/Grand/Park/Regency January through February as they would still get the bonus points.
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dgosche View Post
We millennials will have a lot more respect for a change like this if you are honest and authentic. It's like your company saying, hey we hope you're really excited we're decreasing your pay.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:37 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
Just the opposite I imagine. This change would make people want to stay at the Andaz/Grand/Park/Regency January through February as they would still get the bonus points.
Plus many people have unused DSU's which in the past could have been booked by Feb but used later in the year. Now there will be a mad dash to use them up. Obviously staying at Hyatt Place/Hyatt House does not do much good. Many other properties also don't have Standard Suites that are much better than a regular room. That leaves a limited number of properties to get good value from the DSU. Using cash and points during this time knowing that you will get at least 1,000 points back for the amenity and potentially 2,500 points back for lounge closure would also be an incentive to stay at a higher end property.

After Feb, then it is time to burn the points and move on.
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott, Lifetime Plat SPG, 1K Premier UA, MM DL, 75K Alaska, Lifetime Gold Hilton
Dear Hyatt....

Dontcha just wish it was possible to play a mulligan on this one? So your new Chinese bosses want major changes? Well, they are gonna get them for sure!
Old Oct 29, 16, 11:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
How can you say the program is better? You will get less points next year (elimination of both 1W and RC closure bonus) The only thing that may be better is you get more suites.

I for one get suites when I don't ask. Maybe I am just lucky. And for the times that I have asked to use a suite certificate I am rarely succesful (Andaz properties, European, and many resort properties come to mind.) So I guess it could be better if there was less "diamonds.globalists"

Well dont they wanna hit 25 stays while they can and become globalists until 2019 feb..
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles View Post
I really don't understand why everyone is so upset by the 55 or 60 night. Who stays at hotels for 1 night anyway? I just check my last two years and I average 4 night per stay. I think only people gaming the system do 25 stays to qualify at probably at low cost Hyatt Places.

All the airlines and now hotel programs are squeezing out marginal players.

I think the biggest lost is the check-in amenity. I'm going to miss the bottle of wine and food option.
Different strokes!

I really don't care about the welcome amenity at all - sure I'll take the points, but they aren't too meaningful in the face of a 25K redemption I'm often using.

I'll just get to 51 nights this year. And that's with some scrambling and inconvenience. And the 10 Chase Visa nights. So next year, I'd need to come up with 14 more nights. Unlikely for me.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's just interesting to me how everyone reads the headlines and its all negative and bad news. You are focusing on the amenity bonus going away and the RC closure bonus. Ok. I'm looking at the improvements, did you look at the increased awards available with the program changes. Everyone see's change and its immediately negative because what they had before is now different.

Here are the changes to the program that have value to me:
- unlimited complimentary upgrade to suites as part of the program. Maybe you got lucky in the past but I rarely saw hotels willingly provide this. Now, its baked into the program for Globalist level
- Free night in Cat 1-4 if I exceed 30 nights per year
- Free night in Cat 1-7 if I exceed 60 nights per year
- Free night in Cat 1-4 after staying at 5 different brands
- Hyatt Concierge
- Free parking on award nights
- No resort fees on free or paid stays

I think I'm ok trading the 500 or 1000 point amenity for the Free night awards above if I meet/exceed the requirements. If I do, I think the point value equivalent of the free nights would more than surpass the points amenity I get now.

If I get more complimentary suite upgrades, I'm more apt to stay at nicer Hyatt's that have suites instead of at a HP or HH. Also, being able to apply a DSU on award stays is nice also. Today, you can only use DSU on P+C or all paid stays.

There is a lot of good in these changes folks, just not for everyone. I also like the additional awards granted for 60+, 70+, etc....nights where nothing existed before.

I think loyalty programs are waking up to the fact that there are a lot of people gaming their systems that aren't really loyal, they are just loyal to loopholes or shortcuts to get stuff for free. What Hyatt seems to be doing with these changes is saying, stay with us a lot, spend a lot, and we reward you more. I don't have an issue with that.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
What a long day reading through all the speculations and then confirmation of the changes.

I have to assess my strategy for 2017. As a status matched Diamond in 2015, I requalified in 2016 with stays, and will most likely end the year with 27 stays and 46 nights. It would be a real tough stretch for me to reach 55 nights in 2017 because of the small Hyatt footprint. I don't think I could have added more Hyatt nights in 2016, even though I also had combined 50+ SPG, MR, and Hilton nights. My situation is very similar to a lot of Diamonds who have posted here.

As SPG LTP, I do have options. So we'll see what happens in 2017. I will plan to use up my 160K HGP points after Mar. 1 or 17, whenever DSU can be applied to award stays.
Very interesting but you and I are almost identical in our situation, profile, stay patterns, and our plans for 2017 regarding Hyatt. We are:

1. SPG LTP - my last stay this week at the Westin Paris was fantastic, with an upgrade to a massive suite with an incredible view of the Tour Eiffel. This now 'forces' me to stay more with Starwood / Marriott in 2017

2. Hyatt Diamond status matched in 2015, easily requalified in 2016 with stays, and will most likely end the year with 29 or 30 stays and 46 nights. My last 2 stays was at the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez and the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome were beyond my expectations due to their extra special treatment of Diamond members! ^

In addition, I am also Hilton Diamond, and I will continue to chase that status in 2017 for 2018!

So, with this new moronic change, can I have 55 stays with Hyatt in 2017 - quite possibly, but this change leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth just as I am beginning to really like Hyatt, especially their fantastic promos.

I can't believe that Hyatt managed to piss off a significant amount of its best Elite members with this rather stupid change! It's true that there will likely be less Globalists in 2018 so earning that status SHOULD be more meaningful, but time will tell.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Originally Posted by Mad4Miles View Post
I really don't understand why everyone is so upset by the 55 or 60 night. Who stays at hotels for 1 night anyway? I just check my last two years and I average 4 night per stay. I think only people gaming the system do 25 stays to qualify at probably at low cost Hyatt Places.
Most of my most expensive Hyatt stays are one night at HR/GH in major US cities. Fly in Tuesday morning, meetings Tuesday afternoon and staff dinner Tuesday night. More meetings Wednesday, fly out and get home at 11pm.

Actually, the vast majority of my business travel is like that, with a couple of 3-day conferences thrown in where I don't have a say over location. But Hyatt doesn't have a property in small cities such as Harrisburg PA (7 MR properties within 5 miles of the city center) or even a full service property by the Austin Arboretum neighborhood (MR/SPG have about four there). If Hyatt had Marriott or Hilton's footprint, I could easily give them 55 nights of business travel a year, and still have space for 14 Kimpton stays for Inner Circle.

I've been Diamond 4 of the last 5 years. Hyatt gets 60% of my revenue in cities with a full service property, Kimpton gets 25% and random conference hotels get the other 15%. I still don't understand how dropping to HY mid-tier really is better than MR Gold, which I get through a credit card thanks to the SPG merger:
- MR Gold will give me a sit down breakfast at every full service Marriott, HY mid-tier will get me Club access 4x/year
- MR Gold will consolidate my points across all kinds of work travel, HY mid-tier will not
- If I have a burst of business travel, I can actually make MR Plat because they have properties in small cities as well as big cities.

Now, I realize that at the end of 2017 MR will gut their program too. But I'm better off requalifying there and being grandfathered in for 2018 than continuing to give money to places like the HR Phoenix.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
It's just interesting to me how everyone reads the headlines and its all negative and bad news. You are focusing on the amenity bonus going away and the RC closure bonus. Ok. I'm looking at the improvements, did you look at the increased awards available with the program changes. Everyone see's change and its immediately negative because what they had before is now different.

- unlimited complimentary upgrade to suites as part of the program. Maybe you got lucky in the past but I rarely saw hotels willingly provide this. Now, its baked into the program for Globalist level
- Free night in Cat 1-4 if I exceed 30 nights per year
- Free night in Cat 1-7 if I exceed 60 nights per year
- Free night in Cat 1-4 after staying at 5 different brands
- Hyatt Concierge
- Free parking on award nights
- No resort fees on free or paid stays

I think I'm ok trading the 500 or 1000 point amenity for the Free night awards above if I meet/exceed the requirements. If I do, I think the point value equivalent of the free nights would more than surpass the points amenity I get now.

If I get more complimentary suite upgrades, I'm more apt to stay at nicer Hyatt's that have suites instead of at a HP or HH. Also, being able to apply a DSU on award stays is nice also. Today, you can only use DSU on P+C or all paid stays.

There is a lot of good in these changes folks, just not for everyone. I also like the additional awards granted for 60+, 70+, etc....nights where nothing existed before.

I think loyalty programs are waking up to the fact that there are a lot of people gaming their systems that aren't really loyal, they are just loyal to loopholes or shortcuts to get stuff for free. What Hyatt seems to be doing with these changes is saying, stay with us a lot, spend a lot, and we reward you more. I don't have an issue with that.
I don't disagree with you that these 'improvements' are positive. Where I have heartburn is changing requalification to the highest Elite level to pure number of nights a la Marriott! I have NO issue whatsoever if they increase the requalification on stays from 25 stays to 30 stays or even 35 stays. May be they will listen and adjust things accordingly?
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:52 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
The problem with that thinking is:

1. If you use an award night, that automatically increases the number of nights you need to stay to get status as award nights still don't count as they do with many of Hyatt's competitors.

2. Category 1-4 certificates that have to be used within 120 days are likely to have high breakage rates. Am I going to go out of my way to earn that? No. Hyatt can change categories of individual hotels at any time. So just when you get the cert you find out the hotel you were eying is now category 5. You may not even have a Hyatt near where you plan to be in the next 120 days. Then you get no night credit from the certificate which then adds yet another night you need to stay at a Hyatt each year.

3. You go from having a flexible currency you can use for many different things--including cash and points nights which do qualify for status--to having certificates which for many will be worthless. There may either be no property or no availability to use them in a very limited time frame.

4. Hyatt just handed out top status last year to try to gain new customers. Many of us went out of our way to stay and give them business. Then they turn around and alienate the very people they were trying to attract. Now they have messed up two years in a row. First by giving out status too easily, then by turning around and saying scr+w you--we didn't want you anyway. Kind of a strange way of operating.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:56 pm

- unlimited complimentary upgrade to suites as part of the program.
I think most of us have already played this bait and switch with SPG. And we have seen in the past that Hyatt refuses to do anything to hotels that game the program.
Old Oct 29, 16, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
I think you are (and possibly also Hyatt management) are misunderstanding business reality today. I stay almost 200 nights per year in hotels, 95% of them on duty travel. My duty travel budget is six digits - so I guess I am a big spender! I stay about 35 stays/40 nights at Hyatt. I have no influence whatsoever on the destinations (depends on where my customers are located) and stay duration. I do have some influence on the property I select - obviously subject to availability. And that's what makes it impossible to stay more at Hyatt, since my travel is virtually no US, mostly Europe/Latam/Asia/Africa/Middle East.

The free stays might be nice for my employer, but they have no value at all for me. Either I use them on duty travel or they will expire unused.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: