Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
8+ year Diamond, LT SPG Plat. Requalified on my own dime last couple years after 6-7 years of corp travel qualification. I'm likely gone completely from Hyatt after I burn off next year; I'm semi-retired now, would requal on stays (at nice hotels btw) but not nights.

Has anyone else noticed this requirement: $50K spend to get Platinum (whatever it is in the new nomenclature, I'm not that interested) next year? That will dramatically cut down on the number of Platinums and, presumably, allow Hyatt to reward future Platinums more handsomely than appears to be the plan at this point. Guessing Chase is gone after this new program comes in, too; the benefits to a card-based elite simply aren't good enough. I'll go to the HHonors Amex, I suspect - or maybe just go with Chase UR.

To those who don't think the benefits have been cut - this has a huge impact on a Stay-qualifying Diamond. No club room upgrade mean I'm going elsewhere; the 4 "CSU" certs are a joke compared to every other program with a 25 stay top tier requirement (even compared Gold status at HHonors and Marriott, 2 generally terrible programs). No DSU's mean no vacation benefits whatsoever. Why would I bother? Me leaving will only cost Hyatt $5-7K/year but that's (profitable) revenue Zidell et al didn't have to lose.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:02 pm

Am I right to think that Explorist is the sweet spot? Previously Platinums barely get anything special, now they get 4 Club Lounge passes?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I hope Lifetime Diamond/Globalist stays the same......18 months to 2 years to go until I reach that.
If the rules for that change I doubt I will be seeking Hyatt properties out anymore.
There are just too many other choices........not just chains but boutique hotels too.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Cat 1-4 free night for Explorist is only for those that complete thirty Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning fifty thousand Base Points in a Calendar Year.
Thanks for your input, Hailstorm...

After reviewing the new Terms and Conditions, that is what I read too. I thought that credit card spend would be viewed by Hyatt as a way to earn status, analogous to paid nights or base points. Apparently, that is not the case. Starwood viewed spend on the American Express SPG credit card as earned status (as opposed to the American Express Platinum, where status was given automatically).

I am not in love with Hyatt properties, however if there were an opportunity for better benefits, I would consider investing more stays and/or spend in the new Hyatt loyalty program. There is no way I would stay at Hyatt for 30 paid nights for what they offer. Never mind 55-60 nights for Globalist.

I will likely keep my US Chase Hyatt CC for $75 annually, as it has been a perfect backup cc. 1 Night Free, with no required spend.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Any indication that reward stays will count towards the 60 nights? They do in Hilton
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Am I right to think that Explorist is the sweet spot? Previously Platinums barely get anything special, now they get 4 Club Lounge passes?
That's my thinking, too. For me Diamond was out of reach. I don't like to hotel hop. Platinum wasn't worth even thinking about (neither is Discoverist for me). But my 35-ish nights this year with 9 or so stays will get me more than Plat benefits next year.

But do note that the requirements for Explorist are a lot higher than for Platinum, so many people with Plat status likely aren't going to get there. I know I likely won't be able to renew after next year. I'll try to make good use of the four club awards, though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
That Hyatt thinks we're stupid?
No sorry was one post off, her blog is saying we can qualify on stays Jan - Feb 2017.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 4aks
Any indication that reward stays will count towards the 60 nights? They do in Hilton
No.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
No not worth 30 nights. Weaker mid-tier status than Hilton or Marriott, and 30 nights can get you SPG Plat (25 stays). Unless Hyatt is a natural choice based on location, most will be better off directing those 30 nights to a different program.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lululee
I gave myself a day to calm down, still this sucks... Frankly, I don't understand Hyatt's business rationale for giving away the Diamond status like free candies last year, only to clamp down on the number of Diamonds this year by weeding out the whole segment of existing Diamonds that have less than 55 nights.

It's a lot more than 55 nights at Hyatt. Keep in mind that under this new program there will be, what, 3 nights getting to top tier, assuming stays at 5 brands. Then you have to DO something with those points you've accumulated since it makes no sense to accumulate them forever.

So WOH assumes you'll be sleeping at Hyatts around 65 or 70 nights a year, not 55.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But do note that the requirements for Explorist are a lot higher than for Platinum, so many people with Plat status likely aren't going to get there. I know I likely won't be able to renew after next year. I'll try to make good use of the four club awards, though.
Exactly. Plat meant very little, but it was attainable with as few as 5 nights a year. Of the current Plats, I think a lot more are going to end up as "Members" than Explorists, although if Hyatt is lucky the bulk will fall into Discoverists.

But you are also very correct that Explorist now gives those Plats who could never make Diamond something to aspire to. Previously there was no reason for a Plat to go out of the way to stay at Hyatt once the 5 stays were achieved, thus netting the 2 pm checkout and premium internet.

Now, while the bar for Explorist is a bit high at 30 nights, the 4 Club upgrades could be of very good value at some properties, the Churchill in London and GH Hong Kong come to mind.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee
No not worth 30 nights. Weaker mid-tier status than Hilton or Marriott, and 30 nights can get you SPG Plat (25 stays).
Depends on your stay pattern. I will get to 30+ nights with Hyatt this year, but be far below 25 stays. Hotel hopping isn't how I want to spend my vacation, and my employer wouldn't appreciate it either when I am traveling on OPM.

And I do have mid tier status in several other programs via other means (UA Gold and Amex Plat and IHG CC).
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Suite upgrade on every stay? Not likely!

The new program promises Globalists upgrade to a standard suite if available at checkin on every stay.

Has no one as a Diamond ever had difficulty just trying to get the best available room at some properties (HR Incheon comes to mind)?

Does anyone think that those properties that were stingy in giving Diamonds the best available room are now going to be generous in handing out suites?

And how about those properties that have been so inventive in finding ways to refuse the use of DSUs? Does anyone think they are now going to be happy to just give the suite away at checkin? Especially for multi-night stays.

It is going to especially difficult at those properties that do not list their suites on Hyatt.com, since you can't just open up your phone and prove that a suite is available.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Oct 29, 2016 at 12:28 am
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Has no one as a Diamond ever had difficulty just trying to get the best available room at some properties (HR Incheon comes to mind)?
I've never understood how one could possibly verify that the best possible room was actually given.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, AA Million Miler
Lasting memories

This is my 12th year qualifying for diamond status having had great times at great properties throughout those years, not to mention meeting some of the very best people working at those Hyatt properties. Hyatt has always been my favorite, and I've never been shy about spreading the good word. I'll remember fondly for example the great FNF bonuses that made for great vacations for my family at places like Hawaii and Key West. I'll remember back when the website worked just about every time you logged in. This came as a total shock today, My loyalty with Hyatt is sadly soon going to be just a memory as I move over to something that makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.