World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 17, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Yes, that was the case with me.

It's been a really nice feature of GP. Not sure if I'll have it in my last year of top tier after March 1.

Edit: I've researched this and found that Diamonds will, if they already have one, keep their Concierge for 2017. After that, they must requalify with 60 nights or the 100K base points each year.
I've been told that I keep my private line agent after March 1 and then the My Hyatt Concierge 60 night rule applies. It wasn't clear whether I keep the same person at that time.
Old Jan 25, 17, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've been told that I keep my private line agent after March 1 and then the My Hyatt Concierge 60 night rule applies. It wasn't clear whether I keep the same person at that time.
I was told that I will keep mine through next Feb. Then lose unless I re qualify, Ok that's fair.
Old Jan 26, 17, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
I chatted with Hilton today and I am being hard landed from Diamond to Blue (!) as of March 31.

Good thing I have about 15 higher end nights between now and then for company meetings. I wouldn't have called them except to marry up the confirmation numbers with my HHonors account.

I am so meh about Hilton in general. They are a nice second to third tier option, with a lot of options, but...
I wouldn't sweat it too much, HH is known for making many offers to stay X and get back diamond...
Old Jan 26, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
So Hyatt has to be looking at their January stay figures across their GP/WOH members. I show zero for January but my six nights at Churchill will post in another few days. What do you think their early numbers are showing, any trends that would point to complete and utter disaster of the WOH program causing them to capitulate in total disgrace?
Old Jan 26, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
So Hyatt has to be looking at their January stay figures across their GP/WOH members. I show zero for January but my six nights at Churchill will post in another few days. What do you think their early numbers are showing, any trends that would point to complete and utter disaster of the WOH program causing them to capitulate in total disgrace?
After reading a couple of Hoplamazian interviews, I don't think numbers will matter much for quite a while. He seems to be full steam ahead in transforming Hyatt into a competitor to FS/FRHI/MO/Loews/Shangri-La/Peninsula. I consider that to be a thin market, but it's Hyatt's call. But they will need to get rid of those pesky HP/HH properties (and more than a few Hyatt/HR/GH properties).
Old Jan 26, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
... competitor to FS/FRHI/MO/Loews/Shangri-La/Peninsula...But they will need to get rid of ... more than a few Hyatt/HR/GH properties.
Yeah - pretty much the entire continental US hotel base, other than anything flagged Park. Even the "Grand" properties don't match up (and I like them, this isn't a slam) to Four Seasons or Peninsula class hotels. If he's serious, they better set up a reserve for laying off about 90% of the existing staff, doubtful that many of them can be trained to work in high end hospitality.
Old Jan 26, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
After reading a couple of Hoplamazian interviews, I don't think numbers will matter much for quite a while. He seems to be full steam ahead in transforming Hyatt into a competitor to FS/FRHI/MO/Loews/Shangri-La/Peninsula. I consider that to be a thin market, but it's Hyatt's call. But they will need to get rid of those pesky HP/HH properties (and more than a few Hyatt/HR/GH properties).
Then Hyatt will have an even smaller footprint.
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
This month, which is not over, I've had 9 nights at Marriott. I believe this exceeds my cumulative number over the last ten years.

Luckily, I've enjoyed Marriott Platinum based on my SPG lifetime status, and it's really exceeded my expectations. I guess there is life after Diamond.
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
I will have 6 nights with Hyatt through February, but in March alone, I'll be shifting 13 paid nights to Hilton/Intercontinental/Starwood, based on the various promotions that they are running.

Well, I do have one night at the Park Hyatt NYC in March, but that's from the Chase CC sign-up bonus, so it's not revenue from me.

Last edited by solewalker; Jan 27, 17 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Five nights in Jan and Feb so far with Hilton.
Old Jan 27, 17, 1:57 am

i believe the truth is that, sadly, the VAST majority of people, even top elites, are rather clueless/don't pay attention. we are serious outliers. when u talk to non FT elites on planes or in hotels, it's shocking how little they know about their programs, dramatic recent devaluations, etc. even those w >100 nights or 150,000 miles.

so, I'm of the opinion that hyatt sees us as such. it's as if they've only stayed in top end properties and are oblivious to what really makes up the majority of their portfolio.

you also have to grade on a curve. when you look at the [email protected]& show for elites over at ihg, WOH looks like it was created by the hotelier equivalent of the Manhattan Project!
Old Jan 27, 17, 2:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
Yeah - pretty much the entire continental US hotel base, other than anything flagged Park. Even the "Grand" properties don't match up (and I like them, this isn't a slam) to Four Seasons or Peninsula class hotels. If he's serious, they better set up a reserve for laying off about 90% of the existing staff, doubtful that many of them can be trained to work in high end hospitality.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Then Hyatt will have an even smaller footprint.
Gentlemen, I apologize for my delayed response. I'd like to clarify a bit my impression of the future of Hyatt based on the following articles.

Most of us have already read the Skift interview, posted earlier. If anyone missed it, here's the link again: https://skift.com/2017/01/17/hyatt-c...eds-of-guests/

I found the Skift article a bit cryptic and Hoplamazian sounded like one of those out of touch coastal marketing douches (way too many words not normally associated with the hotel industry) who thinks most of his customers are top 1% earners.

I found these two articles centering on the Miraval acquisition and felt they gave me a better understanding of Hoplamazian's vision of Hyatt's future.
http://www.travelweekly.com/In-the-H...rk-Hoplamazian
http://hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/106...th-in-wellness

After reading those two articles, it became clear to me that Hoplamazian had an epiphany in the floating meditation class in Tucson and it sounds like his vision is to have a Miraval spa in almost every Hyatt in the world. I am expecting to see Hyatt shift from emphasizing room revenues to emphasizing incidentals/spa revenues. This would explain Hoplamazian's nutty 'engagement' theme in the above interviews.

After reading everything, it reinforced my view that Hoplamazian is an out of touch coastal douche who is starting to be concerned about his mortality (hence the emphasis on wellness) and thinks that the typical Hyatt customer is part of the 1%. Focusing on the wellness tourism dollar (<$500M annual revenues) by a >$4B annual revenue company in a >$100B business sounds like tripping over dollars to pick up dimes. If that's truly Hoplamazian's vision of Hyatt's future, most of the current Hyatt properties do not fit into their new business model and frankly, there's no need for a loyalty program because the people that are being targeted don't care very much about hotel loyalty programs.

As for my paid (nonwork) stays in Jan:
2 nights at HR, one a super cheap cash rate and one a P+C rate, so that I could burn my remaining two DSUs.
5 nights at 2 different Fairmonts.
Feb plans:
Burn a free IHG night.
Get a few Hilton nights toward annual qualification.
Zero Hyatt nights planned; have a free annual CC cert that expires in Jun that I'm saving for the new WoH so I can get a suite upgrade that night.

For what it's worth, both Fairmonts had MUCH nicer exercise/workout facilities than the HR.
Old Jan 27, 17, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
i believe the truth is that, sadly, the VAST majority of people, even top elites, are rather clueless/don't pay attention. we are serious outliers. when u talk to non FT elites on planes or in hotels, it's shocking how little they know about their programs, dramatic recent devaluations, etc. even those w >100 nights or 150,000 miles.

so, I'm of the opinion that hyatt sees us as such. it's as if they've only stayed in top end properties and are oblivious to what really makes up the majority of their portfolio.

you also have to grade on a curve. when you look at the [email protected]& show for elites over at ihg, WOH looks like it was created by the hotelier equivalent of the Manhattan Project!
That's true; many elites know very little about their hotel loyalty programs. The vast majority of them tend to be Marriott or Hilton elites; I very, very rarely run into a frequent traveler who chases Hyatt. Most of them know much more about airline frequent flyer programs and how upgrades work for the airlines.

As for IHG, I consider that program to mostly fall between Marriott/Hilton and Club Carlson/Choice/Best Western. There are few defined benefits and the bulk of their hotels are limited service properties.
Old Jan 27, 17, 3:40 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of my regular paid one-night stays this month (of which there are at least 9), the majority of them went to Marriott/Starwood.

Hyatt's devalued program just doesn't motivate me to engage with Hyatt more than as is very convenient or very inexpensive (in cash terms) relative to the competition. In prior years, Hyatt would have had the plurality of my regular paid stays and my Hyatt GoldPassport account balance would be growing faster than it would be shrinking -- but that won't happen this year short of some kind of whopper deal or mistake.

The US stock market has been in record high territory and US employment data has been strong in 2015 and so far in 2016. Given Hyatt more or less goes the way the US goes, the impact of the upcoming Hyatt devaluation will be masked for quite some time and then some. Then perhaps Hyatt will get hit with a lesson from its urban fellow, United Airlines.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 27, 17 at 3:52 am
Old Jan 27, 17, 4:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
As I have written a couple of times upstream, I don't see how Hyatt can notice the effects (if effects there are) for months yet, if not a year or more.

I have enjoyed Diamond status and I am not giving it back until they take it from me. I am thus doing four stays / nine nights here in January, almost all in their highest end properties, because that is where I get the most value from my Diamond status.

How will they know that next week I am not staying in a usual HP (or HH), going to a cheaper and/or more convenient LaQuinta or Four Points, since when one is no longer chasing an attainable future status goal, what's the percentage in staying in an HP or HH?

Anyhow, I'll appear to be a happy Glob, staying at PH's and Andaz's, maybe through Feb. 2018. Not enough to stay a Glob, so after that I'll be gone. Only then will they be able to notice. Or care.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: