World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 18, 17, 10:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP 75K, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist),National Exec Elite
So true...even my check-in agent at the allegedly 5-star HR Coral Gables (FL) barely spoke passable english.

Emotional connection? F that. How about process my check in properly?

Hyatt's head is so far up its ..., that I am going to get under the SPG umbrella until such time as they offer status matches and bonus points to all the diamonds that they purposefully alienated.
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
New hotel announced in the French Alps: http://newsroom.hyatt.com/011817-Hya...he-French-Alps

Speaks again of the "high-end high-value" customer Hyatt is striving for with WoH. While you are all focusing on HH/HP the Hyatt is bigger than that. Its like everyone on this thread thinks they have the plan, why not let Hyatt executives take their vision forward and I'll vote with my wallet in 2017 and assess whether I continue while you all jump to SPG-Marriott only to start the parallel thread this time next year when their program changes over to devalue and remove the 25 stay crowd. Fickle is as fickle does.
I definitely will let them execute their vision. I am not a shareholder and not even a Diamond (humble Explorist in a few months). I am a free agent with little to lose here. But as an observer of the loyalty and travel market I find this switch very fascinating... kind of like a slow motion car crash.

"Hyatt Centric La Rosière will bring the Hyatt Centric brand concept to the French Alps, providing a cosmopolitan vibe inviting exploration and discovery for millennial-minded travelers who want to be in the middle of the action."

Exploration and discovery... clever.

But I am not a millennial-minded traveler. So... meh (for me).

Oh, and Bingo!
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for any big changes or reversals of what's been announced for WoH. According to the Hyatt CEO in the new Skift interview, they think the feedback so far has been "quite positive".

Somehow, by basing elite qualification on night or spend, vs. on stays, they think their loyalty program is an "engagement platform" for the customers that is "not transactional".

Yet, it is exactly specific transactions, i.e., each night's charge, that now gets you closer to the elite tier. I'm feeling so engaged...
My guess there will only be change if Starwood/Marriott make their scheme more flyer-friendly. If they keep the model that Hyatt has chosen, or make Platinum much harder in their new scheme, then why would Hyatt change?
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Speaks again of the "high-end high-value" customer Hyatt is striving for with WoH. While you are all focusing on HH/HP the Hyatt is bigger than that
You seem to be really hung up on this high-end thing..... forgetting that the reality is that 50% is HP/HH, then lots of very average HR's. If you are pushing it you could maybe qualify 10-15% of the room inventory as something approaching high-end.

Perception and reality are quite different....
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I'll hit 60 nights in 2016, most ever. [I personally paid for only] Maybe 10, all thru Points+Cash
the "high-end high-value" customer Hyatt is striving for
I'll vote with my wallet in 2017

Old Jan 18, 17, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
This is like the Twilight Zone.

I'm merely making a point that a program change that now rewards a person spending $20K instead of the 25 stayer is more fair; and, with some of the replies here, you'd think that I was the biggest Hyatt fanboi in the Universe or something.
Let's go farther and consider a Hyatt card holder who is Diamond with only 20 stays vs someone who is Diamond with 100 stays. The 100-stayer DOES get more benefits. He or she gets access to the RC up to 100 times, while the 20 stayer gets access only 20 times.

That's also true of the welcome amenity and other benefits. OTOH, the four DSU's are the same. So the problem, if there is one, is solved by changing the DSU scheme, not letting Diamonds know that all those years of telling them how much their loyalty was appreciated was a big fat lie.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Perception and reality are quite different....
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:34 pm

Check out the Miraval acquisition news from Hyatt....its all part of their master plan to go after the "high-end" customer. Now WoH is starting to make more sense and define the customer and experience that Hyatt is after.

Contrary to some previous posts, its not all about paying for a room and getting points and then redeeming points. Read into their vision and read the CEO's recent article on Skift and that tells a better story of where they want to take their brand and the type of customer's they are after. Some of you will be on board, many will not, things are changing aren't they.
You and your money will soon be parted.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Let's go farther and consider a Hyatt card holder who is Diamond with only 20 stays vs someone who is Diamond with 100 stays. The 100-stayer DOES get more benefits. He or she gets access to the RC up to 100 times, while the 20 stayer gets access only 20 times.

That's also true of the welcome amenity and other benefits. OTOH, the four DSU's are the same. So the problem, if there is one, is solved by changing the DSU scheme, not letting Diamonds know that all those years of telling them how much their loyalty was appreciated was a big fat lie.
Excellent point. On a similar vein, I can understand doing away with the 1K pt welcome amenity, since 25 1-night stays nets 25K points while 5 10-night stays nets 5K pts.

The DSUs especially might be most appropriately awarded on a spend-only basis. Giving 4 DSUs to someone with 60 nights at $100/night HH/HPs but none to someone with 40 nights at $300 properties does not seem very logical.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jan 18, 17 at 11:53 pm
Old Jan 19, 17, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Excellent point. On a similar vein, I can understand doing away with the 1K pt welcome amenity, since 25 1-night stays nets 25K points while 5 10-night stays nets 5K pts.
Also solved by having the amenity per night, not per stay.

Sure, that 10-night stay would get a full 10K amenity. And why not? The property gets 10 nights of revenue instead of one.

New management won't do that because they think they are holding all the cards. In reality, they are not playing with a full deck.
Old Jan 19, 17, 1:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The DSUs especially might be most appropriately awarded on a spend-only basis. Giving 4 DSUs to someone with 60 nights at $100/night HH/HPs but none to someone with 40 nights at $300 properties does not seem very logical.
And there you find the problem balancing what a loyalty program should bring for both the brand and the members. There should be a balance in what is spend vs what is earned....

I find it perfectly acceptable that qualification goals are set a bit higher than would be "fair" if the benefits gained are something of substance. Spending a reasonable amount of extra nights/stays or even cash to get to that next status level is to be expected.

But as already has been stated so often, the 60nights simply is not reasonable for most in light what it was before and the presence Hyatt has. And the benefits of all but Glob are simply not worth it.

I even looked at the required cash I would be required to spend, but that's also totally unrealistic. With taxes and other fees I would be looking at something like $25k.... That's about 70nights at my average rate (and even more should I visit some countries in Asia) excluding any P+C or full awards I would have.

I really wonder if with WOH any significant amount of people will make the effort to stay a few extra nights, I doubt it. The road warriors who stay more than 50nights already don't need convincing, and for most of the rest of the Diamonds it simply isn't worth it anymore. You might get lucky in a single year when your travel brings you to places with lots of Hyatt, but otherwise you will be out of luck. So why even bother.... spend your money someplace else and get any benefits through other means.

And if the DSU's are really awarded based on the number of nights regardless of status (even on spend) it would even be more stupid.
Old Jan 19, 17, 1:57 am

I just don't see the connection between the spend and night requirements. 100K base points for 60 nights is $333/night, which would likely be about $400/night including T&S. Sure, a lot of properties run more than $400/night, but I find it difficult to imagine that many Diamonds average that level throughout the year.

And the 50K base point requirement for Explorist is just laughable...
Old Jan 19, 17, 2:04 am

And if the DSU's are really awarded based on the number of nights regardless of status (even on spend) it would even be more stupid.
The terms state that the 4 DSUs are awarded at 60 nights OR 100K base points (plus one DSU each at 70, 80, 90, and 100 nights, with no mention of base points). The DSUs are not linked to tier status, but essentially the requirements are the same. This de-linking could be used to avoid awarding DSUs for any future status matches or to deny them for 55-night requalifiers or some other reason that might arise.
Old Jan 19, 17, 3:09 am

The road warriors who stay more than 50nights already don't need convincing
The terms state that the 4 DSUs are awarded at 60 nights (...) plus one DSU each at 70, 80, 90, and 100 nights
How much value do road-warrior types feel is attached to additional DSUs above the initial 4, though? I got the feeling many didn't spend all their DSUs as it stands.

Are these people who have loads of vacation time?
Old Jan 19, 17, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
How much value do road-warrior types feel is attached to additional DSUs above the initial 4, though? I got the feeling many didn't spend all their DSUs as it stands.

Are these people who have loads of vacation time?
There's also the option of 10,000 points in place of the additional DSUs.

Search this Thread