World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 18, 17, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged View Post
Oh...so you're one of those people that think when you visit a property, you didn't get an upgrade because of one of those mysterious diamond status matchers/25 stay leechers took it from you. We all know how they leisure travel all the time on their diamond status and demand to be treated like loyalty everywhere they go.
Assuming this wasn't meant as sarcasm, I'll respond.

I'm not an elite anywhere, except for SPG Life Plat from my Corp travel days. I don't even really care that much about the hotels per se, but found more value in accruing SPG points used as leverage for my preferred FF programs. And, when I did receive the usual/customary SPG suite upgrades, I really didn't even care, one way or the other. I rarely stay long enough in hotel rooms for it to matter, either way. However, I do prefer the highest room, for obvious reasons.

The only point I'm trying to make is that it seems more fair that one who spends more actual money would be rewarded more/before those who cheese it.

How can there even be a dispute over this? Seriously?

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 18, 17 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 18, 17, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't think there's any question that Hyatt's status match fiasco last year negatively impacted existing Diamonds, both in terms of award/DSU availability and properties experiencing Diamond fatigue.
This is precisely the point.

There is ZERO rational reason to pay for a product that is eventually either given away for free or cheesed, since it's far more efficient to acquire them by the aforementioned methods. Paying top dollar for stuff given away for free or at deep discounts is called being ripped off. Now, everyone has the right to be a chump, but count me out.
Old Jan 18, 17, 12:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I am (or was) a die-hard Hyatt loyalist, but literally everything they've done over about the last year has been absolutely baffling. He legitimately thinks feedback has been "quite positive"? What planet are they living on?
Old Jan 18, 17, 12:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
What planet are they living on?
The World of Hyatt obviously.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
The World of Hyatt obviously.
LMAO...amidst Discoverists, Explorists and Globalists.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
LMAO...amidst Discoverists, Explorists and Globalists.
With everybody singing, "It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small, small world."
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by akcae View Post
This is the internal inconsistency of the whole "fake elites/moochers taking my benefits away from me" -- if they're not staying/flying enough to earn the benefits which can only be reaped by actually staying at a hotel or flying on a plane, then how are they at the same time there to "take away" those benefits from "real" elites?
You care about this. I get it.

I don't. I couldn't care less if Elites (real, fake, imaginary) receive benefits and upgrades; only that if a product is readily for free or at steep discounts, I will acquire them via the latter methods and will be unwilling to pay for it with my hard earned money.

In other words, if more efficient to cheese it, I'll cheese it, even if I could otherwise afford it. If it's ONLY attainable by paying, then I'll pay, if I value the product/service.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:18 pm

This is like the Twilight Zone.

I'm merely making a point that a program change that now rewards a person spending $20K instead of the 25 stayer is more fair; and, with some of the replies here, you'd think that I was the biggest Hyatt fanboi in the Universe or something.

PS - I don't have an emotional attachment (and, if I did, it wouldn't be to this WOH nonsense) any particular program, only how I can best use it.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only point I'm trying to make is that it seems more fair that one who spends more actual money would be rewarded more/before those who cheese it.
That's a non-sequitur.

The grant of elite status is ultimately an economic transaction. The guest directs a certain amount of business in exchange for specified benefits. "Fairness" doesn't have anything to do with it.

Hyatt of course gets to choose the amount of business it will require for a specified level of benefits. And we get to choose whether to direct our business to Hyatt.

What many here are saying is that Hyatt's adoption of a 60 night / $20,000 threshold for Diamond, along with really crappy Explorist benefits, makes the value proposition irrational and/or impossible, particular given Hyatt's limited footprint. Hyatt will thus lose some amount of business from guests who currently direct at least 25 stays but less than 60 nights/ $20,000 per year. It is not unreasonable to assume that is a significant chunk of business.

And it's not clear that Hyatt has accurately gauged its customer base's reaction to the changes it has made. They seem to believe that many current Diamonds will stick around for Explorist. My prediction is, they won't.

But again "fairness" has nothing to do with any this.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:36 pm

that a program change that now rewards a person spending $20K instead of the 25 stayer is more fair
Q: Is it supposed to be fair? (Genuine question) What if the $20k was actually straight from $bigCorp's expenses account? Is that fair?
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
Q: Is it supposed to be fair? (Genuine question) What if the $20k was actually straight from $bigCorp's expenses account? Is that fair?
Ok, maybe "fair" wasn't the best choice of words, as I'm starting to realize. I should have said something along the lines of, "the change appears more consistently aligned with gaining traction with the mass affluent demographic."

To answer this question. Revenue is revenue, regardless of where it originates, so long as it isn't ill-gotten. Whether this is "fair" or not is a philosophical question better left to those infinitely smarter and wiser than I.

My only argument is that cost vs. benefit analysis should be made with objective measures absent of emotion. The positive change I find with the program appears to be towards that end; though, admittedly, using the word "fair" was extremely careless on my part. It's more "efficient."
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
My only argument is that cost vs. benefit analysis should be made with objective measures absent of emotion. The positive change I find with the program appears to be towards that end; though, admittedly, using the word "fair" was extremely careless on my part. It's more "efficient."
Emotions is in fact a big part of the entire concept of loyalty programs, and Hyatt CEO acknowledges as much in that interview, talking about "emotional engagement".

How else do you explain incentivizing people to make what is often an economically irrational decision to pay more for a hotel room or choose an inconvenient location, just to stay with "their" brand?
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP

How else do you explain incentivizing people to make what is often an economically irrational decision to pay more for a hotel room or choose an inconvenient location, just to stay with "their" brand?
By expanding one's definition of "economic" to include monetarily quantifiable benefits such as upgrades, cutting lines, points and bonus points which are used for reward stays, recognition items, waiver of fees, etc., thereby no longer making that decision (economically) irrational.
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:06 pm

Revenue is revenue, regardless of where it originates, so long as it isn't ill-gotten.
Thought experiment: at check-out, every Hyatt property issues a 1% cashback rebate on the bill for corporate travellers. It would be issued in cash, in small notes, and would NOT be mentioned on the bill.

"Ill-gotten", or just a legitimate reward for all those road warrior types who hardly ever see their husband|wife|kids|dog....?
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:12 pm

Emotions is in fact a big part of the entire concept of loyalty programs, and Hyatt CEO acknowledges as much in that interview, talking about "emotional engagement".
As with any good CEO, I'm assuming he's being duplicitous here, not unlike any other leaders of large organizations/states. Make decisions with objective impartial analysis, and market it with emotion. Not unlike, say, selling life insurance. As a well run company, I'm sure they don't believe their own BS.

Use emotion/buzzwords and hope to capture enough who are susceptible and are either too unsophisticated or too lazy to "run the numbers" defining the true "cost" of the program. I assume all of us here on calculates the "price" for rewards and acts accordingly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: