World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 17, 8:32 am
  #2536  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 4,099
Are there really that many people who spend $20K a year with Hyatt (aside from weddings, conventions, etc.)? Hilton, Marriott, Four Seasons, etc.-sure. But Hyatt-with its small footprint and few PH and GH properties?
JetAway is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 8:49 am
  #2537  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,863
Just realized one more consequence of WoH for me ... higher electric, gas, and water bills

We used to spend one or two Sat nights a month at either HR Kyoto or HR Osaka, but this year I'm only planning 4-5 nights over 2-3 stays at HR Kyoto and right now nothing at HR Osaka.

Logged into my GP account and was rather nonplussed to see "52 days until next stay". It has been a long time since I've had such a big span between stays.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:04 am
  #2538  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plt / LTG, Amtrak Select+
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
But what change are you talking about.... you really are anxious to be called a Glob?
For the rest your stay will stay exactly the same, or do you really think that from March 1st you will be staying in suites all the time?
Speaking for myself, I'm excited to use DSUs on award stays. In fact, im staying at the Andaz Amsterdam end of March on an award stay and will be calling Hyatt on March 1st to apply a DSU

I'm also curious about how the suite upgrades will work. In 2016, I had two complementary suite upgrades (including the presidential suite at the Toronto Park Hyatt), despite that not being a listed benefit, while receiving 0 suite upgrades on over 30 SPG stays in 2016 (despite that being listed as a benefit).

I am NOT looking forward to being called a globalist, and I'm not looking forward to losing 1k points at check in (good thing I have 7 Hyatt stays for business planned before march)

I am also holding out hope award stays will count towards status... and hoping that's announced soon (even if it was capped at like 5-10 nights)
uppereastsider is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:39 am
  #2539  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,799
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post
Speaking for myself, I'm excited to use DSUs on award stays. In fact, im staying at the Andaz Amsterdam end of March on an award stay and will be calling Hyatt on March 1st to apply a DSU

I'm also curious about how the suite upgrades will work. In 2016, I had two complementary suite upgrades (including the presidential suite at the Toronto Park Hyatt), despite that not being a listed benefit
I agree that the ability to use a DSU on award stays is nice, long overdue since you can use the on P+C (which I often find a better use of points).

The possible suite upgrade in WOH is most likely just PR, as you have found (some) properties already upgrade people to suites....

I like the suites at the Andaz Amsterdam, but beware that most lack a decent view. The larger canal rooms might be preferable.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:45 am
  #2540  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
But your assumption (you know how those work) that most Diamonds/Globs will qualify on a spend of $20k in base points might be flawed as well.... an average room rate of $300+ (excluding fees and taxes) is a bit much when half of the portfollio consists of HP/HH.
Let me clarify a few things.

1. Not suggesting $20K is the average spend for all H Diamonds. I was merely responding to this being a straw man argument and simply pointing out that a rewards system with 25 alternating HP/Ex/Lux Diamonds (however small) with ZERO $20K members sans 25/50 is fundamentally flawed. In other words, the program rewards the wrong behavior (from Hyatt's perspective of maximizing rev/profit), much like the FF programs. Adding a revenue component has been long overdue.

2. While I haven't analyzed it personally, I've read that the $16K is the avg Diamond spend, according to Hyatt. Whether or not this is true is up for debate, but we can assume this number is the main driver for their program's change--namely, gaining traction with the high-end clientele.

3. I derive the $20K simply by H's decision to confer highest tier status on 100K points earned, regardless of stays/nights. Since they've eliminated the stays as a means to earn top tier status, one can infer (rightly or wrongly) Hyatt feels rewarding purely for number of stays isn't the most efficient allocation of rewards resources. Does the Park Hyatt NY really want to give away its DSUs to a bunch of folks who only stay at HP/Ex/Lux with minimum 25 stays? Again, not suggesting its the case with most Diamonds, but that this arbitrage exists should be closed.

4. To earn Dia/Glob (really hate this nomenclature), it's now a minimum 60 stays. The revenue range is from $6,000 (avg $100 per night) to $18,000 (avg $300 per night). Those ranges have a clearly defined 60 stays minimum (55 for existing Dia/Glob) and increased benefits as stays rise above 60.

My point on the $20K is Hyatt's targeting the higher end market. For instance, shouldn't a person who spends $20K (not many, but there are enough) PHs (easily reach this during peak time in NY) be rewarded with highest status even if he/she may have less than 60 stays? If the motivation is to influence future behavior with this group, then, yes.

On the other hand, why would any organization want to reward those who capitalize on the 25 stay arbitrage opportunity and use their rewards at the most expensive properties? If anything, you'd want to revamp the system to rid yourself of these customers. Let them go elsewhere and focus on capturing the higher spending guests.

Finally, if it fails (it may) and this elusive high end clientele isn't responsive, then lower the requirements and the aforementioned "cheesers" will flock back in droves. This segment flows from program to program seeking the best arbitrage opportunities. Nothing wrong with this, I do it too. However, but personally, I have always refused to pay for anything that is given away for free or may be cheesed en masse, if only because I can attain it by the latter.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:57 am
  #2541  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,799
Sorry, but you seem to use a lot of words to simply state that GP must have made logical decisions with WOH...... while the names, the clear PR (free suite upgrades while you normally already have to fight to get the best room available), the status match faisco last year either prove that they don't know what they are doing or it's just simple coust cutting.

Occupancy rates might warrant cost cutting, but there sure seems little inteligence in choices they made from a loyalty program view.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 10:00 am
  #2542  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Are there really that many people who spend $20K a year with Hyatt (aside from weddings, conventions, etc.)? Hilton, Marriott, Four Seasons, etc.-sure. But Hyatt-with its small footprint and few PH and GH properties?
Whatever amount (however small) who are now rewarded with top tier status before the opposite end of the spectrum (the 25 stay arbitrager) is a step in the right direction.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 10:03 am
  #2543  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Sorry, but you seem to use a lot of words to simply state that GP must have made logical decisions with WOH...... while the names, the clear PR (free suite upgrades while you normally already have to fight to get the best room available), the status match faisco last year either prove that they don't know what they are doing or it's just simple coust cutting.

Occupancy rates might warrant cost cutting, but there sure seems little inteligence in choices they made from a loyalty program view.
Yes, I'm assuming WOH is basing their decisions on what they perceive is based on rational of increasing revenue/profits. They may be wrong, but wouldn't you have to assume it's based on logic armed with the best information they have at the time?
Visconti is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:50 am
  #2544  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 3,559
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
But what change are you talking about.... you really are anxious to be called a Glob?
For the rest your stay will stay exactly the same, or do you really think that from March 1st you will be staying in suites all the time?
No, his stay will likely not be the same.
Aggressive cost-cutting and probable upgrade monetization are coming (what was good for the airlines will likely be good for the hotel chains), and the new Glob benefits will be, or are already being, watered-down by the loose language allowing a property to determine, "in its sole discretion", what the "best room available " actually is. We've already had reports of some properties reclassifying previous "deluxe" rooms as "suites". I also expect more "trickeration", where properties don't make premium rooms available for upgrade through creative inventory management, but will allow you to buy-up to better room.

From the T+C (Bolding Mine):

"9. Standard Rooms; No Packages. Free Night Awards cannot be redeemed for packages. Free Night Awards are valid for standard guest rooms, unless specifically stated as part of a particular award. Standard rooms are defined by each hotel or resort and may differ by hotel or resort. Some properties do not have standard rooms."


"(c) Best Room Available: Globalists will receive the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, including standard suites and rooms with Club lounge-access. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Best-room-available benefit includes only standard suites (where available), which are defined as rooms within each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category. Specialty, Premier, Presidential, Diplomatic, and other suites other than standard suites are not included in this benefit. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts or at M life Resorts."


In addition, it was quite clear to me that the Regency Club Lounge offerings and the Diamond benefits were being downgraded in Asia last year. But, of course, that could be a regional bias.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 16, 17 at 6:53 pm
zombietooth is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 1:29 pm
  #2545  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: not far from MUC
Posts: 6,301
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
(...) wouldn't you have to assume [Hyatt's decisions re: WOH are] based on logic armed with the best information they have at the time?
Counter-example: their choice of the word 'Globalist' and non-words 'Explorist' and 'Discoverist'
shorthauldad is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 1:46 pm
  #2546  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,190
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
Come on its brilliant marketing. If you EXPLORE you will DISCOVER. As you discover more you will be travelling the globe and become a GLOBALIST in a big world the WORLD of HYATT. The only thing that could make it better is if March 1st could start today.
If it were brilliant marketing, everyone would be excited by it. Is everyone looking forward to it? Are even a majority looking forward to it?
JackE is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 2:03 pm
  #2547  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
Counter-example: their choice of the word 'Globalist' and non-words 'Explorist' and 'Discoverist'
Very salient point.

I can only speculate the efficacy of the actual program changes were determined by Financial Analysts absent of emotion based purely on objective information, while this cobranding was left to...er...another group entirely.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 2:12 pm
  #2548  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
If it were brilliant marketing, everyone would be excited by it. Is everyone looking forward to it? Are even a majority looking forward to it?
I assumed it was sarcasm. Was he actually serious?
Visconti is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 3:33 pm
  #2549  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,220
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I assumed it was sarcasm.
No no it's very serious business ... there's no room for humor in this forum
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 4:05 pm
  #2550  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,089
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
If it were brilliant marketing, everyone would be excited by it. Is everyone looking forward to it? Are even a majority looking forward to it?
I am little surprised by the slightly less then positive attitude towards the Hyatt Marketing Dept. by some posters in this thread. But, I did leave out in my last post that they were going to originally call it "Small World of Hyatt" abbreviated "SHoW" before they realized it might lead some to think they have a SMALL foot print. It was brilliant to drop the "Small" I would think?
HHonors OUTSIDER is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: