Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Miesque
The more I think about this, it seems the biggest beneficiary of the WOH rollout is going to be Hilton, which I have to think was not the purpose of the changes.

Love it!
It wasn't how I wanted it to go, but this World of Hyatt devaluation has pushed me back into dealing with Hilton and Marriott/SPG far more than would be the case if Hyatt GoldPassporr would have been left as is. My next ten regular paid stays for the next 30 days are mostly at Marriott/SPG properties with a few leftovers for Hilton. If it weren't for the WOH devaluation, Hyatt would have had at least half of those upcoming stays within the next 30 days.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know we've rehashed all of the comparisons endlessly, but I'm left staring at:

SPG: 40 nights to Platinum (due to 10 nights via ccs, with no spend needed)
Hyatt: 60 nights to Diamond/Gist

Pretty significant difference for me, especially since award nights and multiple rooms count toward that 40.

50% more for somewhat comparable benefits.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hailstorm
WoH could simplify things by reducing to two tiers: Glob and Slob.
I nominate this for "Post of the Year".
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What they are telling themselves.

http://s2.q4cdn.com/278413729/files/...esentation.pdf

This covers many things, including WoH. They have glowing feedback on WoH from stakeholders, if you don't count guests as being stakeholders.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hopefully Hyatt realizes that 60 nights is too much for it's limited portfolio. 50 Nights is stretching it, but it's doable. 60 will really be hard. They should do 30 stays/50 nights. Hopefully they rethink this. Hyatt is very good with listening to it's customers so hopefully they make the change soon.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JackE

This covers many things, including WoH. They have glowing feedback on WoH from stakeholders, if you don't count guests as being stakeholders.
Thanks

I'll read this one carefully later but what I saw immediately is the average revenue per member. An average Diamond spends $16,800/year. That's a whole lot more than I thought. The median revenue would be interesting to see.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Thanks

I'll read this one carefully later but what I saw immediately is the average revenue per member. An average Diamond spends $16,800/year. That's a whole lot more than I thought. The median revenue would be interesting to see.
That's 2015. 2016 introduced the SPG match, and I'll bet that number plunged significantly.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Various
You're absolutely right. I missed that part and I also agree with what you're saying. The presentation also taught me that penetration is better in Europe than in the Americas. At least if we count per "Consuming Class Households".
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:40 pm

As I recall from a similar pdf in 2013 or so, the average diamond was spending about 13k IIRC. Interesting. I think on average, the microcosm that is FT will have far less impact than they are telling themselves they will. There are definitely some parts of WoH that I do not like at all, so I am hoping there will be some changes and fixes though. I think the people who expect that Hyatt will collapse under the impact of tons of fleeing 25 night a year diamonds will be disappointed.

Incidentally, page 6 shows you all you need to know about Hyatt in the last few years with the magic words..."since IPO."

Lot of interesting stuff in there. Shows a lot of strength in the hotel market and Hyatt specifically. No wonder they are willing to make these kind of changes. Do people think that Diamonds alone are driving stuff like a 600 basis point increase in owned/leased hotel margin and a 900 basis point increase in EBITDA margin? There are SO many more customers that are not diamonds that even if 90% of the largely empty threats on here are followed through, there will be little impact on Hyatt it seems. Good lord though...this thing is CHOCK FULL of empty corporate speak buzzwords. I would not say that going up 9 countries in coverage over 7 years is exactly "impressive." Although somehow they think they are going to go up at least 17 more countries in the next 3 years?? I would LOVE to see that but I highly doubt it.

I have said this before, and I stand by it now. The idea that you need to spend $20,000 to get Diamond is absurd. You company wide ADR is $182 a night (about what it was a few years ago from what I read, which is interesting). You want me to spend the equivalent of 110 nights a year at your company ADR to get Diamond??? That is ridiculous! The spend requirement is just way too high. I think if you are spending 10% more than the company wide ADR multiplied by 60 nights a year...that should be fine...i.e. $12k a year. Average of almost 17000 a year per Diamond means there have to be some SERIOUS outliers out there though. I mean, how many people spend that kind of money, even while doing nights? I broke 60 nights this year for the first time, and still spent about 40% LESS than the average.

Last edited by antonius66; Dec 29, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JackE

graffs and metrics cannot makeup for the stupidly of the new WOH and it's so called "enhancements " over HGP. I've already cancelled 10 stays in January and will be staying with Starwood , Marriott and Hilton. No need to pay more and go out of my way to patronize a company that didn't value my 51 nights last year. I'm going shopping in new grocery stores.
Booking with Amex FHR delivered me a beautiful suite last night at the Westin in Austin, along with breakfast , and a
$ 50.00 credit to apply. I will miss the DSU's but it's not the end of my world. It's sad really that their management bought into this WOH nonsense
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by antonius66
As I recall from a similar pdf in 2013 or so, the average diamond was spending about 13k IIRC. Interesting. I think on average, the microcosm that is FT will have far less impact than they are telling themselves they will. There are definitely some parts of WoH that I do not like at all, so I am hoping there will be some changes and fixes though. I think the people who expect that Hyatt will collapse under the impact of tons of fleeing 25 night a year diamonds will be disappointed.

Incidentally, page 6 shows you all you need to know about Hyatt in the last few years with the magic words..."since IPO."

Lot of interesting stuff in there. Shows a lot of strength in the hotel market and Hyatt specifically. No wonder they are willing to make these kind of changes. Do people think that Diamonds alone are driving stuff like a 600 basis point increase in owned/leased hotel margin and a 900 basis point increase in EBITDA margin? There are SO many more customers that are not diamonds that even if 90% of the largely empty threats on here are followed through, there will be little impact on Hyatt it seems. Good lord though...this thing is CHOCK FULL of empty corporate speak buzzwords. I would not say that going up 9 countries in coverage over 7 years is exactly "impressive." Although somehow they think they are going to go up at least 17 more countries in the next 3 years?? I would LOVE to see that but I highly doubt it.

I have said this before, and I stand by it now. The idea that you need to spend $20,000 to get Diamond is absurd. You company wide ADR is $182 a night (about what it was a few years ago from what I read, which is interesting). You want me to spend the equivalent of 110 nights a year at your company ADR to get Diamond??? That is ridiculous! The spend requirement is just way too high. I think if you are spending 10% more than the company wide ADR multiplied by 60 nights a year...that should be fine...i.e. $12k a year. Average of almost 17000 a year per Diamond means there have to be some SERIOUS outliers out there though. I mean, how many people spend that kind of money, even while doing nights? I broke 60 nights this year for the first time, and still spent about 40% LESS than the average.
You said the key word Incidentally, page 6 shows you all you need to know about Hyatt in the last few years with the magic words..."since IPO."

I have said this many times the equity capitol groups are sucking up all these properties and draining them. Witness the Waikiki Hyatt. Once owned by a Japanese businessman, great great property then sold to GS, who began to dismantle all the amenities, car was first to go, then closed the Colony, etc. No and I mean no exterior maintenance then sold to Blackstone who also sucked it dry all caught up and major major exterior work and infrastructure work needed. Now a Korean gentleman has bought it and we all including employees are collectively holding their breath. Blackstone/GS went about redoing the 3 floor area but shrank the pool, food and beverage just tanked here.

That my friends is equity capitol. I know because my company builds or reflags hotels as part of our business.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by antonius66

One of the corporate codes I am entitled to use gets club access or free breakfast and high-speed internet in Asia and gives a rate approx 35% better than the best prepaid rate.

So they are selling Diamond-like benefits for peanuts to pull corporate volume. There is no way that their corporate customers are generating anywhere near the ADR, so there must be a huge group of suckers, for lack of a better word, who are paying full, un-discounted rack rates.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by zombietooth
One of the corporate codes I am entitled to use gets club access or free breakfast and high-speed internet in Asia and gives a rate approx 35% better than the best prepaid rate.

So they are selling Diamond-like benefits for peanuts to pull corporate volume. There is no way that their corporate customers are generating anywhere near the ADR, so there must be a huge group of suckers, for lack of a better word, who are paying full, un-discounted rack rates.
Not sure if that is a good barometer unless you know the entire terms of your companies contract. We have a couple ourselves and as a major shareholder I help negotiate them . It's all about room nights which equates to revenue.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by edgewood49
That my friends is equity capitol. I know because my company builds or reflags hotels as part of our business.
Capital.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by josephstern
I know we've rehashed all of the comparisons endlessly, but I'm left staring at:

SPG: 40 nights to Platinum (due to 10 nights via ccs, with no spend needed)
Hyatt: 60 nights to Diamond/Gist

Pretty significant difference for me, especially since award nights and multiple rooms count toward that 40.

50% more for somewhat comparable benefits.
In the new Hyatt system, do points+cash stay count towards the 60 minimum ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.