World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 16, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Because I asked a question. Maybe "ridiculous" to you, but not to me.
JIMCHI was not met as a direct to you only as a general question, so if I offended you than pls accept my apology.

I suppose I should not read these so often. My opinion is that until March 1st comes we really don't know all the details yet. And odds are there will be some tweaking. You can count on someone has a report set up for redemptions beginning now and bookings beginning 1/1/17 as they relate to existing members, more importantly current Diamonds. Those are the first set of numbers I would want to track and see.
Old Dec 14, 16, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
JIMCHI was not met as a direct to you
Then why would you quote his post?

I suppose I should not read these so often. My opinion is that until March 1st comes we really don't know all the details yet.
Are you saying there's a whole other section of WoH T&C that won't be released until March 1st?
Old Dec 14, 16, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by cmglobal View Post
Have fun trying to explain that with the hotels.
Totally! Same at SPG - just got upgraded at W Amsterdam and the upgrade is to a CORNER ROOM - that's not a suite! Yes, it is twice the size of a regular room, but really when I think of a suite I think of at least two rooms (not counting the bathroom) that are separated by a solid wall and a door you can close. With one room being a living room and the other a bedroom.
Old Dec 14, 16, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Are you saying there's a whole other section of WoH T&C that won't be released until March 1st?
I think it is saved in a file called "OtherShoe.doc"
Old Dec 14, 16, 5:40 pm

Hotels have never looked in the dictionary for a definition of a "suite". Merriam-Webster defines it as "a group of rooms occupied as a unit". A simply larger room cannot, by definition, be a suite -junior or otherwise.
Junior Suite is a standard term in the hospitality industry for a very spacious room with a proper living space (usually sofa, coffee table, armchairs, desk, etc...). Everyone knows it is not a full suite with separate rooms.

One notch down is a Premier room. Basically the same, but typically a bit smaller than a Junior Suite, with a sitting area that may not be a real living space.

Many hotels tend to call what shoud be a Premier Room a Junior Suite. Or a Junior Suite a "Suite." An example would be PH Paris Vendome, where the "Park Suite" is really a Junior.

Additionally, Junior Suites are considered the first level of suite accommodation in hotels for the purpose of guest recognition. Guests booking Junior suites are treated as suite guests, which often entails a higher level of overall service and recognition (at least at high-end hotels).
Old Dec 14, 16, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
Junior Suite is a standard term in the hospitality industry for a very spacious room with a proper living space (usually sofa, coffee table, armchairs, desk, etc...). Everyone knows it is not a full suite with separate rooms.

One notch down is a Premier room. Basically the same, but typically a bit smaller than a Junior Suite, with a sitting area that may not be a real living space.

Many hotels tend to call what shoud be a Premier Room a Junior Suite. Or a Junior Suite a "Suite." An example would be PH Paris Vendome, where the "Park Suite" is really a Junior.

Additionally, Junior Suites are considered the first level of suite accommodation in hotels for the purpose of guest recognition. Guests booking Junior suites are treated as suite guests, which often entails a higher level of overall service and recognition (at least at high-end hotels).
BUT, they still land up with a single ROOM, regardless of size and not a SUITE. The industry can call anything a "suite", including a room with a bathroom down the hall. People entitled to a "suite", be it junior, grand, or whatever expect what the definition of a "suite" is. Hyatt needs to make clear that a "suite upgrade" (using a DSU or points) is in fact a suite, as defined in the English language. I must say that I have used many DSU's and 6,000 point suite upgrades over many years and I have never be given less than a full suite. So I'm hoping that those of you who have received just a big room are an exception. As far as suite upgrades at check-in, they may just give you a Junior Suite and you shouldn't have higher expectations, but you can always just ask - "what kind of suite?". In many cases the location of the room you've already been assigned might be better than the upgrade.
Old Dec 14, 16, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Hyatt needs to make clear that a "suite upgrade" (using a DSU or points) is in fact a suite, as defined in the English language.
So will a WoH Globalist be a globalist as defined in the English language?
Old Dec 14, 16, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Then why would you quote his post?

Ok, let's try this one more time. The proposed changes are not cast in stone and until the actual start date like any global shift like this it's a bit fluid. Jeff even alluded to that in one of his comments.

so if someone has specific travel plans between now and then causing them to be concerned about how that particular travel schedule affects their status then they should call Hyatt and ask. When all this came out I called "My Hyatt Concierge" person who had a pretty good grasp on the whole thing at that point in time. He also knows my travel schedule over the past years that he has handled my account. That gave me a good idea of what I need to do.
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:12 pm

BUT, they still land up with a single ROOM, regardless of size and not a SUITE. The industry can call anything a "suite", including a room with a bathroom down the hall. People entitled to a "suite", be it junior, grand, or whatever expect what the definition of a "suite" is. Hyatt needs to make clear that a "suite upgrade" (using a DSU or points) is in fact a suite, as defined in the English language. I must say that I have used many DSU's and 6,000 point suite upgrades over many years and I have never be given less than a full suite. So I'm hoping that those of you who have received just a big room are an exception. As far as suite upgrades at check-in, they may just give you a Junior Suite and you shouldn't have higher expectations, but you can always just ask - "what kind of suite?". In many cases the location of the room you've already been assigned might be better than the upgrade.
That isn't going to happen. You will get whatever the property calls an entry level "suite." If you aren't happy with a Junior suite at some properties, you are free to use your suite upgrades elsewhere or not at all.
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
...That gave me a good idea of what I need to do.
Me too. I'm burning points next year and saying "thanks for the memories" to Hyatt, and heading elsewhere. 60 nights in one chain - with no freebies from CC spend or points stays - is too much for me.
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:35 pm

I am getting a certain joy and satisfaction for each Hyatt reservation that I cancel for 2017 and replace with an SPG reservation.

And save money in the process.
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
I'll finish the year with Hyatt 26 stays, 36 nights and Hilton 36 stays, 37 nights. 85% work stays. I mostly control my hotel choices and can do either similar next year demoting me to Explorist (worse name than Globalist) in '18 and Hilton Diamond or reposition all Hyatt and some Hilton stays to Marriott (and ask for a status match of some sort) giving me Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold. The people at the Hyatt I visit frequently give great service, but I'm thinking Marriott is the better option at this point given marriott gold>hyatt explorist (as I see it at least). I stay domestically for work and use the hell out of points/cash at PH's globally for leisure which is obviously nice. But I can use Chase points and go all Hyatt point for PH trips. Thoughts?
Old Dec 14, 16, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I am getting a certain joy and satisfaction for each Hyatt reservation that I cancel for 2017 and replace with an SPG reservation.

And save money in the process.
^
Old Dec 14, 16, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GreekDeno View Post
...or reposition all Hyatt and some Hilton stays to Marriott (and ask for a status match of some sort) giving me Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold.
Your FT profile says you are a UA 1K. If that is correct (or you are a least UA Gold), why don't you use RewardsPlus to get Marriott Gold for free?

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

No status match (from another hotel program) required.
Old Dec 15, 16, 4:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Even worse, they, and many other properties, are likely reclassifying these rooms to water-down the DSU benefit.

This new WOH program is clearly a massive devaluation of benefits disguised with marketing-speak phrases such as, "more opportunities to upgrade for our very best customers".
Without a doubt.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: