Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:13 pm

It's also that, without free breakfast, Canyonleo might opt for any other hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern
It's also that, without free breakfast, Canyonleo will opt for any other hotel.
FIFY
Well, actually, not on that alone... but it certainly contributes and your theme of thought is spot on!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:54 pm

Tell me what you find! After 2017, I'll need a good Maui alternative also.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern
Tell me what you find! After 2017, I'll need a good Maui alternative also.
My favorite now is (and most my Maui trips have me mixing point Andaz stays with) VRBO. I love Makena Surf, and since I don't have to have "the hotel experience" I'm fine with VRBO, and I actually like Makena as much or more than Wailea, and there are Makena Surf units that are fantastic (remodeled) and their beach and reef is tops. For anyone that will consider a high rise (I typically don't) Polo Beach Club might be a VRBO option.

For someone that must have a hotel option (restaurants, services, pools with services, etc.) there really isn't a great alternative... in Wailea the Marriott is a dump (and tons of construction) and Four Seasons and Fairmont and Grand Wailea are really apples and oranges vs. Andaz and quite large properties. In Kaanapali it's all large properties (Marriott, Westin, Sheraton) that aren't as nice and HR which is off my list or RC in Kapalua which also is apples to oranges (and not on the beach).

Andaz really is unique jewel on Maui (for the not rich enough to vacation at RC or FS crowd), but it's Hyatt, and I'm probably leaving due to the changes (as I would be a low level Diamond thus not making Glob so with little earning opportunity at WoH why dedicate to Hyatt... I'm a free agent I guess).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well not technically relevant, since the reference was to Marriott Plat, and Marriott wouldn't give you (or your family) free breakfast at a resort

A good example as well why it's likely pressure from certain properties that has pushed Hyatt to tighten the rules. You can bet they have a pretty good idea what the Diamond freebies mean in terms of lost revenue opportunities and that number can be really substantial.
No - but the Delta Crossover free checked bag benefit for you and those traveling with you is a pretty darn good perk right now for what is required to be Marriott Platinum.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
wow things people will do for a free lunch
Actually - it's the other way around. My parents didn't remotely know from qualifying for brand loyalty status until they received a congratulatory email about their gold status last year and then Platinum due to a large amount of spending. Thank you to the person who added about the 15 nights just for having the CC. That explains further.

As much as we love the Hyatt in Aruba - with 2 year olds, we love space, a kitchen, and access to laundry more. So when my mom started using her timeshare bonus weeks to reserve units for my family of 4, my sister's family of 3, and a 3rd unit for the grandparents at Marriott Surf Club - we were happy to go (especially since we're not Hyatt Diamond and couldn't use the club at Hyatt.) That trip qualified my parents for tons of nights. I guess they also got 15 nights for having the CC. We also usually go to Marriott Fairway Villas through Interval for a couple long weekends because its close our house. The kids love Storybook Land which is nearby. This year, my mom reserved two 2BR units for all of us twice once again through II bonus weeks. Alas another 28 night credits. So you see, with their CC spending, this got the right in that Platinum range without going out of their way at all and also without taking very many Marriott trips.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That doesn't matter. It's about the property's perception of revenue lost, not whether a particular guest would or would not pay for breakfast.
Sorry, but that's a strectch. Properties know that a free breakfast isn't the same as missing revenue for a paid breakfast. And at most properties it's a club breakfast that has even less value.

So yes, there are a few resorts that do give up some revenue to Diamonds and it's those that have already been trying to get away with limiting benefits. That's probably also where the new 2 free breakfasts for a Diamond comes from....

And properties get reimbursed for awards, so there often little lost revue for those stays.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by canyonleo
My favorite now is (and most my Maui trips have me mixing point Andaz stays with) VRBO. I love Makena Surf, and since I don't have to have "the hotel experience" I'm fine with VRBO, and I actually like Makena as much or more than Wailea, and there are Makena Surf units that are fantastic (remodeled) and their beach and reef is tops. For anyone that will consider a high rise (I typically don't) Polo Beach Club might be a VRBO option.

For someone that must have a hotel option (restaurants, services, pools with services, etc.) there really isn't a great alternative... in Wailea the Marriott is a dump (and tons of construction) and Four Seasons and Fairmont and Grand Wailea are really apples and oranges vs. Andaz and quite large properties. In Kaanapali it's all large properties (Marriott, Westin, Sheraton) that aren't as nice and HR which is off my list or RC in Kapalua which also is apples to oranges (and not on the beach).

Andaz really is unique jewel on Maui (for the not rich enough to vacation at RC or FS crowd), but it's Hyatt, and I'm probably leaving due to the changes (as I would be a low level Diamond thus not making Glob so with little earning opportunity at WoH why dedicate to Hyatt... I'm a free agent I guess).
Four Seasons is a great property as is the Fairmont.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=RTW1;27574754And properties get reimbursed for awards, so there often little lost revue for those stays.[/QUOTE]

I get the feeling they aren't reimbursed very much given the pushback members get when trying to redeem at times of high occupancy. I could be wrong.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmglobal
I get the feeling they aren't reimbursed very much given the pushback members get when trying to redeem at times of high occupancy. I could be wrong.
Each is different and it depends on who the ownership is. Equity Capitol is all about revenue and minimal requirements to flag.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've seen reports that when occupancy is high the reimbursement from GP is actually pretty high as well.... but who really knows.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well not technically relevant, since the reference was to Marriott Plat, and Marriott wouldn't give you (or your family) free breakfast at a resort

A good example as well why it's likely pressure from certain properties that has pushed Hyatt to tighten the rules. You can bet they have a pretty good idea what the Diamond freebies mean in terms of lost revenue opportunities and that number can be really substantial.
..... which just goes toward confirming -- despite Hyatt's denial -- that the transition from GoldPassport to WOH is a Hyatt management cost-cutting exercise of sorts.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
This article claims that over 30000 people took advantage of the status matching last year, and that WoH has the potential to bring in 30000-40000 new customers next year.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-hy...ogram-cm715985
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
I view it as a precursor to revenue based requirements.

Don't forget one could qualify on base points after 5-7 night stay at a premium property in a paid suite. (Say PHSYD in harbour suite ?) This is significantly better than previously .

That said I don't think the 25 stay ~ 8-10k spenders should loose breakfast (imo most valuable benefit) but I think it's reasonable that the 60+ nighters (likely 15k +) to have a higher status.

My experience with airlines has actually improved with revenue based requirements. While annoying on paper I see better recognition and I guess that makes good business sense.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hailstorm
This article claims that over 30000 people took advantage of the status matching last year, and that WoH has the potential to bring in 30000-40000 new customers next year.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-hy...ogram-cm715985
An amusing read.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.