Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
If you would have told me even a couple months ago that I would be working on switching all of my 2017 HP/HH (and some of my HR/GH) stays to Marriott and would be strongly considering cancelling the Hyatt credit card, I would have dismissed you as mentally ill. And, here we are.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
If you would have told me even a couple months ago that I would be working on switching all of my 2017 HP/HH (and some of my HR/GH) stays to Marriott and would be strongly considering cancelling the Hyatt credit card, I would have dismissed you as mentally ill. And, here we are.
Me, too. I'm even burning points on business stays.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Cygnet
2. = Correct. Per WoH T&Cs, having an active Hyatt CC gets you Discoverist. A US$50K spend or more is needed per calendar year, to get Explorist, which is the highest tier you can get with the CC. Note, also per T&Cs, that CC points are counted as "bonus" points, not base points, so they will not count towards tier or lifetime status.

3. = Per various threads and sources, your Globalist title will be extended another transition year until March 2019. HOWEVER...you will not receive another set of 4 suite upgrades in 2018. It is also unclear what other "benefits" you may or may not receive in 2018, as a Globalist-lite. Although it seems pretty certain you'll still get a free bottle of water, daily. AFAIK, everyone must complete 60 nights or 100K base pts. once WoH launches, in order to receive full/all Globalist benefits and rewards going forward; no getting around it.
Is there a downgrade from Globalist to Explorist in 2018 if you don't requal the 60 nights? Or is this current diamond to Explorist if you can't requal a one time thing?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I too have switched many of my Hyatt plans to Marriott/Starwood for as long as it is good. Prior to this World of Hyatt sham, Hyatt would have been up to get more of my business. Hyatt ends up in the back of the line due to this GoldPassport program devaluation game.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a wonderful thing.... I've now even made bookings through 3rd parties at hyatt properties because prices are lower (and BRG doesn't work). I will get my Diamond benefits and no longer care about the points or the stay credit. But most of my nights have gone to other brands as well.

And I used to go out of my way to stay at Hyatt. Now it's burning points and upgrades...

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 30, 2016 at 4:39 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't understand why Hyatt is exempting HP etc. from the Globalist free suite upgrade if it's available at check in. This would give some costless benefits to this who are forced by location etc. to stay in some HPs. The nicer and newer HPs tend to have some suites so I don't understand why these suite upgrades aren't a published benefit in the new program. Examples include Omaha, Des Moines Downtown (I don't know about the upcoming West Des Moines property, which seems to be a new build so my guess would be that it will have some suites), Madison (which often has rates in the $300-400 range), Downtown Minneapolis (which is usually more expensive than the HR is a better location a few blocks away), and the new Downtown St Paul property in a renovated historic building. These places do *sometimes* give free suite upgrades to Diamonds now, but it would be nice if this were a published benefit, just as some HRs etc. have been giving suite upgrades to Diamonds currently without being obligated to do so but with the new program this becomes a published benefit.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by The smallest state
You do raise an interesting point nethead25. Most us (myself included) are thinking about this as our points, our miles, our status, our free nights. Maybe Hyatt has made a shrewd business decision to simply reward a person who stays 80 nights a year more and hope to attract them. As long as they can get one new 80 night a year 'Globalist' for every four guys/girls like me (20-25 nights a year), it will be a bonus as they would have 3 less people with free nights.

However judging on flyertalk, my own experience, the points blogs, the ridiculously poorly thought out AMA on Reddit, it may be a lot more like 12 to 1.
I believe the plan is "to win them back". My gut feeling is that most higher level status people will be treated unbelievably early in 2017, since they already have been given status for the year if they qualified for Diamond already.

Then as the year progresses, it goes back to the same type of treatment, yet enforces the Globablist rules, which leads to more people complaining. But since they are already into the year and trying to get back, and cannot just jump ship and qualify, the cycle continues.

That is what I believe THEY are thinking. Sadly this program is a turnoff for many enough to make them switch ahead of time and not even worry about the status given/earned in 2017

Im right there with you. Been staying at HH for the past 3 stays and have 2 more before the end of the year. I wont qualify for Diamond there for 2017, but believe they will match me again and already get Gold with the credit card I have. Had great stays the last 3 and saved a bunch too.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
I believe the plan is "to win them back". My gut feeling is that most higher level status people will be treated unbelievably early in 2017, since they already have been given status for the year if they qualified for Diamond already.
This is an interesting theory, but it's the properties that determine how guests are treated, and I personally have seen a continuous decline in properties' treatment of Diamonds over the past 18 months (Asia excepted). I fully expect that will continue. "Free" suite upgrades at properties that already play games with DSU and award inventory? Fat chance.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is an interesting theory, but it's the properties that determine how guests are treated, and I personally have seen a continuous decline in properties' treatment of Diamonds over the past 18 months (Asia excepted). I fully expect that will continue. "Free" suite upgrades at properties that already play games with DSU and award inventory? Fat chance.
you are correct witness what Hyatt did with the Grand in SF, they routinely screwed us !! I agree on Asia and for the most part in Europe but I am seeing a slight pull back here at the PHV. I do know the Middle Eastern Hyatt are still old school service as well
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I'm just now booking my first 2017 travel.

I'm a 12+ year Diamond, but in recent years I'm no longer making Diamond by nights and now I'm a 30 stay / 50 night customer. So, given that I won't make Glob, and the benefits of the tier below it are near worthless, I'm thinking I should move to Starwood(Marriott). I'm lifetime Gold there, but as a Diamond might I get SPG to match me to highest level (Platinum), or do a challenge? Has any Diamonds here called called SPG to do something similar, and what was the outcome? Thx.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canyonleo

I'm a 12+ year Diamond, but in recent years I'm no longer making Diamond by nights and now I'm a 30 stay / 50 night customer. So, given that I won't make Glob, and the benefits of the tier below it are near worthless, I'm thinking I should move to Starwood(Marriott). I'm lifetime Gold there, but as a Diamond might I get SPG to match me to highest level (Platinum), or do a challenge? Has any Diamonds here called called SPG to do something similar, and what was the outcome? Thx.
Just curious: with 12+ years as Diamond, how close are you to 1M base points?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo

I did a challenge and got Plat for 2 years (ends March 2018 plat all through 2016 and 2017). Do it, you won't look back.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Just curious: with 12+ years as Diamond, how close are you to 1M base points?
The website doesn't show, right? I mean, in account activity I only have patience to click on view more transactions so many times (old website used to just click to see all past activity, then one could look at only base points).

If the measurement is 1MM base points, last I looked about a year ago I think I was at like 800k+, something like 80%+ or what's required if I remember right (and in this year I haven't traveled to expensive Asia or PH locations, and become a more heavy HR and HH/HP mix customer), so I'd say not close enough to have that influence my decision?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I did a challenge and got Plat for 2 years (ends March 2018 plat all through 2016 and 2017). Do it, you won't look back.
But how did you do it, just called SPG? Or did you receive an email? Was some proof of Diamond, like a website screenshot required? Thx
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta
What is the annual fee on the Ritz card?

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
There are easier ways to Gold on Marriott via credit card - $10K spend on the Ritz card ($75K for Platinum)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.