Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The thing that baffles me the most is that they are not incentivising stays at Hyatt Place and Hyatt House at all. Unless you have a fetish-like affinity for rancid fruit salad, there's really no reason to stay there anymore.
Who is "you"? An aspiring Globalist? Their incentive to stay at a HP/HH could be to acquire sufficient nights to requalify.

For me, the aspiring Free Agent, there is indeed no incentive. The pricing issue you point out is something I have noticed again and again myself.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Sorry Hyatt. I really am. I have been a loyal proponent and customer for 16 years. Sadly today is the day I switch.

1- I can actually understand if you had just said we are changing the program to better reward our most loyal guests. Instead you dream up this WoH. I don't care for these vague theories about 'enhancing experiences' and 'making people better'. It's a hotel loyalty program not a lifestyle brand.

2- That disastrous AMA. I actually asked you a question in that Jeff and requested it be asked in plain English, not corporate speak. You then answered my question in corporate speak and never really got around to articulating the answer.

3- My status will be seriously downgraded. I am the very epitome of a 15-25 stay Plat/Diamond.

So I contacted Hilton who sent me this https://hiltonhhonors.hiltonapps.com/ and I filled it out. Just cancelled three nights in SLC Hyatt House (next door to work), three nights in Chicago, one night in Boston. I will keep using your fine hotels in Vancouver (great balcony and view), SF Embarcadero (great balcony and view) and Saigon (one of the best hotels I have ever stayed).

When/if Hyatt changes WoH I will come back. Good luck to all!!!!

Last edited by The smallest state; Nov 29, 2016 at 12:13 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:27 pm

The thing that baffles me the most is that they are not incentivising stays at Hyatt Place and Hyatt House at all. Unless you have a fetish-like affinity for rancid fruit salad, there's really no reason to stay there anymore.

Comparable Marriott and SPG limited-service properties are often cheaper. For instance, why would I now pay a premium to stay at the HP Cascade Station in Portland when the Aloft next door is almost always cheaper? With no Diamond amenity, there's no reason to pick an HP or HH over say, an SHS or Aloft or Courtyard.

Also, Explorist is so crummy that there's really no incentive to be loyal to HP/HH at all to accumulate nights, since 30 nights gets you basically nothing, and if you're able to do 60, you're likely either on an expense account or independently wealthy, thus mitigating the need to stay in limited-service properties to begin with.

This is the part that makes the least sense to me. With such a limited footprint, shouldn't Hyatt be encouraging domestic HP/HH stays even more than they are now?
Excellent points. It seems like Hyatt is acting as if they have purchased Starwood and has almost tripled its footprint. Also Hyatt is not factoring in that the combined Marriott/SPG makes it a lot easier for everyone to use just one program.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who is "you"? An aspiring Globalist? Their incentive to stay at a HP/HH could be to acquire sufficient nights to requalify.
But again, if you have the job or the wherewithal to spend 2+ months out of every year in a hotel, you likely either have the expense account or the sufficient monies to stay in better places than a Hyatt Place. I can't see many "aspiring Globalists" (which I will not be after March 2018) intentionally racking up HP stays, especially with no Diamond amenity incentive to do so.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta
People that earn Diamond status should get excellent treatment. It's sad when we suggest anything different.

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Asia/Europe definitely gets better upgrades. The other thing is that you have people who spend the bare minimum and expect diamond class treatment at every hotel they go to. The hotel would much rather use those diamond treatments on the regular visitor that spends money, rather than the traveler that books the base room expecting suite upgrades every time. I think that happens across properties.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
But again, if you have the job or the wherewithal to spend 2+ months out of every year in a hotel, you likely either have the expense account or the sufficient monies to stay in better places than a Hyatt Place. I can't see many "aspiring Globalists" (which I will not be after March 2018) intentionally racking up HP stays, especially with no Diamond amenity incentive to do so.
I may have the wherewithal to spend 60 nights in a hotel, but perhaps not all of them in a $250+/night place.

I think the bigger reason why this will impact HP/HH is that there simply won't be a ton of aspiring Globalists because of the high hurdle of 55/60 nights. And once people have made the decision that they won't be aspiring for Glob status, the next step is just picking a more convenient/cheaper competing chain instead of HP/HH.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Comparable Marriott and SPG limited-service properties are often cheaper.
I price shop A LOT. One of the reasons why Hyatt is traditionally my last program to meet annual elite requirements is because they're more expensive than other major chains. When one compares any comparable hotel, whether limited, full service, or luxury, Hyatt is almost always more money than Hilton, Marriott, and SPG.

Under HGP, I was willing to:
1) pay a higher price and
2) settle for a smaller footprint

Under WoH, I'm NOT willing to:
1) pay a higher price,
2) settle for a smaller footprint and
3) meet an unrealistically high minimum number of nights to qualify for status.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by iflyjetz

1) pay a higher price,
Word
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I price shop A LOT. One of the reasons why Hyatt is traditionally my last program to meet annual elite requirements is because they're more expensive than other major chains. When one compares any comparable hotel, whether limited, full service, or luxury, Hyatt is almost always more money than Hilton, Marriott, and SPG.

1) pay a higher price,
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Word
To your mother.

Agree with this whole heartedly.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Also, Explorist is so crummy that there's really no incentive to be loyal to HP/HH at all to accumulate nights, since 30 nights gets you basically nothing, and if you're able to do 60, you're likely either on an expense account or independently wealthy, thus mitigating the need to stay in limited-service properties to begin with.
Not to be contrarian, since I'm as apprehensive about the changes as anybody, but there's a big slice of the business travelers that don't fit into the generalization that 60+nighters are unbridled affluence. Many consultants and contractors travel just about every week and have clients pay their travel expenses -- clients that routinely enforce caps and negotiated rates. For those Monday-Thursday commuters (who by the way aren't necessarily wealthy -- I did it out of college), it's only 20 weeks a year in an HH or HP. And that's pretty easy to do for them, and it beats a Courtyard any day of the week.

This population also tends to be more aware of loyalty programs and benefits than the average bear and are probably who Hyatt is targeting.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:25 pm

You do raise an interesting point nethead25. Most us (myself included) are thinking about this as our points, our miles, our status, our free nights. Maybe Hyatt has made a shrewd business decision to simply reward a person who stays 80 nights a year more and hope to attract them. As long as they can get one new 80 night a year 'Globalist' for every four guys/girls like me (20-25 nights a year), it will be a bonus as they would have 3 less people with free nights.

However judging on flyertalk, my own experience, the points blogs, the ridiculously poorly thought out AMA on Reddit, it may be a lot more like 12 to 1.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nethead25
it's only 20 weeks a year in an HH or HP. And that's pretty easy to do for them
20 weeks a year in a HH or HP makes me want to stab my eyes out

I am so glad I am not a true corporate road warrior.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
20 weeks a year in a HH or HP makes me want to stab my eyes out

I am so glad I am not a true corporate road warrior.
In past, I'd gladly do this, because it would result in many free nights (be it from points, W1 bonuses, or promos) at aspirational properties like PH Maldives, Andaz Maui, pick you PH, etc. (and free breakfast and club access and all that).

Now, one won't earn so many free nights (no W1, change in earning formula, soon to come award chart devaluation?)... so I totally agree with you.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
"Explorist is so crummy..."

This is the biggest problem with the new program. Why on earth does anyone aspire to mid-level Hyatt status when both Hilton and Marriott are far superior?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium

1) pay a higher price,
For me personally, I had already written off Hyatt at the end of last year for a few reason, so these changes make decisions easier. I have one location where I must use HP, so I can't cut it off completely. My Chase Hyatt card will also be cancelled before the next AF is due- I am willing to give up the extra point over using my CSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.