World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 28, 16, 9:03 pm
  #1801  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,119
I'm annoyed by the emphasis on free parking for Globalists when it's only for Globalists and presumably Guest of Honor folks on free award (points or certs, assuming that any Hyatt certs are transferable) stays.

The hotels where I'm likely to make an award stay aren't places where I would have a car: NYC, Buenos Aires, Paris, Asia in general including Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. So the benefit is worthless for me, assuming that I'm even likely to spend my points on free award stays, rather than C + P stays that count for stays credits.

I suspect many others would agree, although the obvious exception would be those who go to Hawaii regularly.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:04 pm
  #1802  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 728
Originally Posted by bldr1k View Post
I'm amazed at how upset people are at the new program. I was never impressed with HGP. In a couple years as a Diamond I've not used a single suite upgrade. I guess people that book way in advance have more luck but that isn't me.

I am top level at all four chains and my treatment is consistently average across all of them. Because of this I only stay enough to get to top tier which gets me free breakfast.

There are some benefits like late checkout that I occasionally use but generally speaking, if I check in on Wed I get a lousy room everywhere. I never get suite upgrades at any chain. Service varies by hotel - but the impression I get is that lots of people are diamond.

I bet they paid some marketing people a lot of money to do a data analysis and come up with this new program. Some of the "benefits" are really silly. I wonder how many customers they talked to in this process.

If some hotel chain would make top status worth something I would be more inclined to stay 250 nights at one chain. I'm not sure they care though - they are all striving to be good enough while minimizing spend.

When I go on vacation I prefer to stay in a Four Seasons or some other smaller chain that provides great service to everyone.
Glad you posted this and your perspective of top tier status across the big hotel chains. All these status programs are based on expectations of what you might get. You called it out above.....you get consistently average treatment across the chains with top tier status. Why is that? Because everyone believes the marketing hype that they will get treated better by the competition and we are all suckers.

What I can say is, Hyatt has been hands down better than Hilton at the Diamond level in my 5 years of experience with both. I've had many average Hyatt stays along the way but overall, I thought Hyatt's were a notch above.

So while everyone can complain that WoH is a trainwreck, I'm not going back to Hilton, no way. Maybe SPG/Marriott but they will change their program in 2018. Everyone wants to feel and be treated as special but what you are saying is average is the norm. Sounds like economies of scale to me. You want special? Stay in a non-chain boutique hotel....but where will you all possibly post about this on FT?
PortlySpartacus is offline  
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:22 pm
  #1803  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 3,524
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
Glad you posted this and your perspective of top tier status across the big hotel chains. All these status programs are based on expectations of what you might get. You called it out above.....you get consistently average treatment across the chains with top tier status. Why is that? Because everyone believes the marketing hype that they will get treated better by the competition and we are all suckers.

What I can say is, Hyatt has been hands down better than Hilton at the Diamond level in my 5 years of experience with both. I've had many average Hyatt stays along the way but overall, I thought Hyatt's were a notch above.

So while everyone can complain that WoH is a trainwreck, I'm not going back to Hilton, no way. Maybe SPG/Marriott but they will change their program in 2018. Everyone wants to feel and be treated as special but what you are saying is average is the norm. Sounds like economies of scale to me. You want special? Stay in a non-chain boutique hotel....but where will you all possibly post about this on FT?
Well I, for one, disagree with you. Bear in mind that I primarily stay in Asia, so YMMV depending on which region of the world you stay in.

I have been a Diamond with both programs for approx. 15 years and the treatment has been roughly equal until approx. 2 years ago, when Hyatt started to go downhill significantly.

I am at the Tokyo Hilton right now, and my treatment has been fantastic compared to my treatment at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo during my stay in October. The club has become a joke at the HRT, while the addition of the private Diamond club (separate from the Executive Lounge), here at the Tokyo Hilton, has made their far superior offering even better for us Diamonds.

Hilton has only upgraded me to a suite a few times, while Hyatt has never once upgraded me to a suite without using a DSU (and my success rate with DSUs has been woefully poor), so where is the big difference?

The higher-end Hilton properties here in Asia are at least the equal of the equivalent Hyatt in the same area, yet the clubs are almost always better at the Hiltons these days.

What amazes me is that I only became a Marriott Gold a couple of years ago due to the status match with UA, and I have already gotten 3 suite upgrades for free. The last one was a huge presidential-style suite for a 5 night stay!

So, from my admittedly short experience with Marriott, I am of the opinion that Marriott gives free room upgrades at a higher rate than either Hilton or Hyatt, at least here in Asia.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:32 pm
  #1804  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 728
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Well I, for one, disagree with you. Bear in mind that I primarily stay in Asia, so YMMV depending on which region of the world you stay in.

I have been a Diamond with both programs for approx. 15 years and the treatment has been roughly equal until approx. 2 years ago, when Hyatt started to go downhill significantly.

I am at the Tokyo Hilton right now, and my treatment has been fantastic compared to my treatment at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo during my stay in October. The club has become a joke at the HRT, while the addition of the private Diamond club (separate from the Executive Lounge), here at the Tokyo Hilton, has made their far superior offering even better for us Diamonds.

Hilton has only upgraded me to a suite a few times, while Hyatt has never once upgraded me to a suite without using a DSU (and my success rate with DSUs has been woefully poor), so where is the big difference?

The higher-end Hilton properties here in Asia are at least the equal of the equivalent Hyatt in the same area, yet the clubs are almost always better at the Hiltons these days.

What amazes me is that I only became a Marriott Gold a couple of years ago due to the status match with UA, and I have already gotten 3 suite upgrades for free. The last one was a huge presidential-style suite for a 5 night stay!

So, from my admittedly short experience with Marriott, I am of the opinion that Marriott gives free room upgrades at a higher rate than either Hilton or Hyatt, at least here in Asia.
Good feedback from your experiences. Sort of reminds me of what i see flying with Delta in that if i book more frequent trips I get upgraded more frequently. Like there is a analytics component at work that says if you have reserved more stays/flights with us recently, your chances of getting an upgrade are better.

Which brings me to another thought about loyalty.....with all the machine learning algorithms being put into play, are you really loyal or just being processed as loyal based on your current spend and frequency pattern. These companies can hook you with their upgrades and get you into their programs but is it sustainable or just geared for a hook.

You guys tell me.
PortlySpartacus is offline  
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:22 pm
  #1805  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Di
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Well I, for one, disagree with you. Bear in mind that I primarily stay in Asia, so YMMV depending on which region of the world you stay in.

I have been a Diamond with both programs for approx. 15 years and the treatment has been roughly equal until approx. 2 years ago, when Hyatt started to go downhill significantly.

I am at the Tokyo Hilton right now, and my treatment has been fantastic compared to my treatment at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo during my stay in October. The club has become a joke at the HRT, while the addition of the private Diamond club (separate from the Executive Lounge), here at the Tokyo Hilton, has made their far superior offering even better for us Diamonds.

Hilton has only upgraded me to a suite a few times, while Hyatt has never once upgraded me to a suite without using a DSU (and my success rate with DSUs has been woefully poor), so where is the big difference?

The higher-end Hilton properties here in Asia are at least the equal of the equivalent Hyatt in the same area, yet the clubs are almost always better at the Hiltons these days.

What amazes me is that I only became a Marriott Gold a couple of years ago due to the status match with UA, and I have already gotten 3 suite upgrades for free. The last one was a huge presidential-style suite for a 5 night stay!

So, from my admittedly short experience with Marriott, I am of the opinion that Marriott gives free room upgrades at a higher rate than either Hilton or Hyatt, at least here in Asia.
Asia/Europe definitely gets better upgrades. The other thing is that you have people who spend the bare minimum and expect diamond class treatment at every hotel they go to. The hotel would much rather use those diamond treatments on the regular visitor that spends money, rather than the traveler that books the base room expecting suite upgrades every time. I think that happens across properties.
StatusChallenged is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 12:01 am
  #1806  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by bldr1k View Post
I'm amazed at how upset people are at the new program. I was never impressed with HGP. In a couple years as a Diamond I've not used a single suite upgrade. I guess people that book way in advance have more luck but that isn't me.
Zombietooth mentioned his usual destination is Asia and he receives better treatment than you.

My observation is that it doesn't matter the hotel chain; international service/treatment is MUCH better than domestic service/treatment. I've seen a much higher percentage of suite upgrades internationally vs domestic.

I don't particularly care for most Hyatt suite upgrades because at many hotels, it's just a lockout added to a normal room. I'll only use my DSUs for true suites so I usually have several that go unused every year. And when I do use DSUs, it's only for one night.

Domestically, Hyatt's food/breakfast is better than what other major chains offer. But I'm now at the point where even this isn't a big deal. Internationally, all hotel chains (with a few properties that are exceptions) have good food offerings in their lounges.

I've paid a little bit more to stay at Hyatts and maintain Diamond status. With the new WoH program, it isn't worth me chasing status (60 nights is a bridge too far) so I'll just stop patronizing Hyatts.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 4:21 am
  #1807  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
These calls are likely prompted by GM concern over the widespread pushback to WoH. The brands people have used as Diamond builders will be hurt the most.
I agree. Interestingly enough, this is not a "Diamond Builder", as it's a very good Regency that is popular. There are a number of the less expensive spots I stay in each year, but it is almost always due to lack of other options in the area.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Interesting that both Radiant Flyer and you got phone calls.

May I suggest that the best response to these hotel employees is to suggest that they contact Hyatt and tell them to reinstate HGP or reflag with a different hotel chain? I think it might have more impact than them proposing you (the royal you) go out of your way to contact Hyatt and protest the program change. This puts the ball back in their court - as in, if you (the hotel) want my business, you need to fix the problem because my solution is to leave WoH behind.
This was (in a way), what I suggested to him. A brand should want my loyalty and express that with a program that works. In this case, Hyatt believes they found their solution. In my case, unfortunately their solution does not fit my needs or wants.

I don't think it's the end of the world as others seem to, but it is simply not possible for me to continue to give my loyalty back, when I will receive less in return for a brand that I have struggled to maintain at due to their footprint in the areas I travel.
TheTourVan is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 7:34 am
  #1808  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Posts: 4,577
Departure of Communications VP

http://www.prweek.com/article/141699...ueller-departs

I have to wonder if this is partly the result of the less than ideal launch/messenging of World of Hyatt?
dw is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 8:40 am
  #1809  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,119
I wonder whether she was responsible for the Reddit AMA idea.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 9:10 am
  #1810  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Posts: 4,577
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I wonder whether she was responsible for the Reddit AMA idea.
I think it's likely as apparently social media strategy was under her watch. The AMA was definitely the type of cluster I could see someone getting terminated over.
dw is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 9:22 am
  #1811  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Di
Posts: 486
Kind of a tough job for her with the kind of changes Hyatt did, and their refusal to address any of it in the AMA, was quite embarrassing but out of her control. If they had thought this program out as well as they had said, most of those questions should not have been so difficult to address. Even some research ahead of time would've shown how to prepare.
StatusChallenged is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 9:43 am
  #1812  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by dw View Post
http://www.prweek.com/article/141699...ueller-departs

I have to wonder if this is partly the result of the less than ideal launch/messenging of World of Hyatt?
I never like to see anyone lose a job.

I would rather see Hyatt recognize they made a mistake, and reload quickly. Irrespective of the program itself, there appears to be general distaste for the soft components (brand, tier names, green-wash video, etc.).
CopperSteve is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 10:22 am
  #1813  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by dw View Post
http://www.prweek.com/article/141699...ueller-departs

I have to wonder if this is partly the result of the less than ideal launch/messenging of World of Hyatt?
Would that be a case of shooting the messenger?
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 10:38 am
  #1814  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Posts: 4,577
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Would that be a case of shooting the messenger?
Perhaps in part. But I think the big issue is that, accepting that the changes are generally unpopular but here to stay, Hyatt could have done a better job (particularly in the AMA) with just being honest and upfront in its communications with its members, rather than treating them as uninformed customers that would fall for the generally frowned upon (by knowledgable consumers) corporate-esque type of communications they've been using. (I.E. Don't try to shroud negative changes to a loyalty program by trying to convince loyal customers that what they really care about are "experiences".)
dw is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 10:46 am
  #1815  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Perhaps in part. But I think the big issue is that, accepting that the changes are generally unpopular but here to stay, Hyatt could have done a better job (particularly in the AMA) with just being honest and upfront in its communications with its members, rather than treating them as uninformed customers that would fall for the generally frowned upon (by knowledgable consumers) corporate-esque type of communications they've been using. (I.E. Don't try to shroud negative changes to a loyalty program by trying to convince loyal customers that what they really care about are "experiences".)

But did anyone really expect Jeff Z. to come out on Reddit (or here, for that matter) and say things like

- we believe Diamond was too easy to reach
- we want to cut those who earn Diamond on 25 cheap stays
- yeah, we don't have enough properties in Europe, so just stay somewhere else or travel somewhere else
- sure, those elite level names suck, but do you really care about them?

...

There is just no way that you'd get to hear anything but corporate marketing speech.
notquiteaff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: