World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 16, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
1. If we earn Globalist status through Feb. 2019 via 25 stays in Jan-Feb 2017, but do not have 60 nights in 2017 and thus no additional DSUs after 3/1/17, will we earn 4 club upgrades upon reaching 30 nights in 2017?

2. Does anything else billed to your room during a stay qualify for Hyatt base point credit besides spa treatments and dining? Alcohol? Excursions / activities? Kids club fees? Paid room upgrades? Anything else???

3. Regarding base point earning when not staying at the Hyatt - how will that work? For instance, if a spa is not directly affiliated with Hyatt (for example Park Hyatt Beaver Creek) would you have to be staying at the Hyatt and bill the spa services to your room to get base credit?

4. Would Globalist who doesn't make the 30n be softlanded to Explorist in 2018?

5. Terms & Conditions of the Lifetime Globalist program won't be available until March 1st, which leads me to believe there may be some surprises. Will there be any difference whatsoever between benefits or conditions between those who will be Lifetime Diamonds (Globalists) before March 1st and those who qualify after March 1st. I just don't understand why they can't be upfront with the terms and conditions now.
6. Can you please address the fact that it is so much harder for members from Europe to qualify under the new conditions (when it was already harder previously), due to the lack of Hyatt Place hotels and the generally small international footprint? Isn't it contradictory to call the new level Globalist, but to make attaining it mostly only possible for people who live in the USA?

7. Another question:

1) If an Explorist reserves two rooms and chooses to use a Club certificate, will guests staying in both rooms be given access to the lounge? If not, could the member choose to use 2 of the 4 club certificates so long as both rooms are reserved in the Member's name?

2) If a reservation is made using a combination of cash and the credit card anniversary night (for a multiple night stay) would the Explorist using a club cert only get access for part of the stay?

8. Would Explorist who doesn't make the 10n be softlanded to Discoverist in 2018?

Last edited by Markie; Nov 16, 16 at 11:43 pm
Old Nov 16, 16, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by cmglobal View Post
I won't disagree with you on this point. But who in Hyatt corporate is going to admit they might be wrong after so much has been spent on focus groups and other market research?

What other ways do we really have to get their attention?
Agreed. I can't think of any quick AND effective way of getting their attention. Even social media, for all its power, is useless if no one up in the C-suite is listening, or caring, or bothers to pay attention. After all, that's what they "have people" for -- to deal with the riff-raff -- the same people who may be responsible for launching the whole idea in the first place, and thus might downplay any negative results. The Reddit AMA sort of seems to demonstrate a lack of familiarity with social channels.

Maybe there is a faster way to vote with your wallet? If someone changes or cancels a Hyatt reservation, also fire off a quick email or mention to the property manager: "As a result of World of Hyatt changes, you just lost an x night reservation to ___(competitor)___." Even a comment to a phone reservation agent during cancelling, might get tabulated. This makes a direct connection between immediate lost business = WoH, which can't be explained away by economy, politics/election, oil prices, business ebb & flow, Brexit, etc. And property owners who take the hit first in their pockets may be better messengers than mere customers. There may already be no love lost between owners and corporate, too. And if emailing, maybe a CC: Jeff Zidell, or to someone in the C-suite, too? Thought I saw a Reddit post with an address for the CEO; don't know if the address is valid, however.
Old Nov 16, 16, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Di
Surprised there weren't more questions about focus groups regarding branding and program features because both are done so poorly i can't imagine any real focus groups of regular travelers having anything nice to say about it
Old Nov 17, 16, 4:04 am

Location: SEA/PDX/NRT/SIN almost every month. I love my sanctuary at Sentosa Cove
Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Totally agree with you!

Looking at this thread, I bet the Hyatt C-suite executives are laughing off their arses at us.

People, it is only a hotel-reward program. Maybe they feel embolden with the 30k SPG influx, and did their sums. Assuming 50% SPG stay on to become Globalist, they have room to maneuver and get rid of less profitable guests. Loyalty is a 2-way street. If they don't welcome you, move on.
Feel a need to vent, gather your friends and tell them never to book Hyatt again.

Someone, I have a feeling that whoever came up with Gobalist naming convention, must have been a Global Services with United

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
While I agree with the general sentiment here and on the Reddit AMA that this new WoH is really a serious step down from the earlier program, I don't agree that we are all the typical Hyatt customers. And I don't think Hyatt should necessarily pay attention to us.

We are the educated ones; the ones who care to learn more about the programs, share information, and figure out how to maximize benefits and minimize costs. While many of us are good and profitable customers for Hyatt, I'm certain we aren't their targets.

They want the customers who don't pay attention. They want the ones who see "60 nights" and just plod along to 60 nights. They made that clear by raising the number and eliminating the cc help and the nights qualifications. They want the business travelers on the shuttle from the airport who say to one another "did you hear it's gotta be 60 nights next year?" "Oh, really? 60? OK. I'll have to change some stuff around."

They don't want those of us who would mattress-run 20 stays in Jan/Feb and MS $40K on the Chase card.

So while we're all annoyed and threatening to vote with our wallets, Hyatt won't miss us. They've got the traveler who doesn't do any outside research in their crosshairs.

They want the sheep.

At least, that's what they're implying to me.
Old Nov 17, 16, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
While many of us are good and profitable customers for Hyatt, I'm certain we aren't their targets.

They want the customers who don't pay attention. They want the ones who see "60 nights" and just plod along to 60 nights... They want the sheep.
Not too many "sheep" are staying 60 nights per year with any chain. If you're on the road THAT much you are probably somewhat conscious of program mechanics. And because Hyatt properties are so thin on the ground, unless you have really heavy, standard travel patterns to principal cities, 60 nights is such a high bar, the numerical majority of customers is going to say the hell with it.

Hyatt is my #3 chain, after Hilton and Marriott, for this reason. I like Hyatt properties best but the don't exist where I'm going much of the time, or are indefensibly expensive next to the competition. So the program has been a minor factor for me and will be a zero factor now.

I think Hyatt is adopting the Delta Air Lines approach -- that an organization can do very well with a bad loyalty program as long as it's operationally good. For most customers DL SkyMiles is not a magnet anymore. WoH will end up being relevant and useful to very few customers IMO, which is probably by design.
Old Nov 17, 16, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Not too many "sheep" are staying 60 nights per year with any chain. If you're on the road THAT much you are probably somewhat conscious of program mechanics. And because Hyatt properties are so thin on the ground, unless you have really heavy, standard travel patterns to principal cities, 60 nights is such a high bar, the numerical majority of customers is going to say the hell with it.

Hyatt is my #3 chain, after Hilton and Marriott, for this reason. I like Hyatt properties best but the don't exist where I'm going much of the time, or are indefensibly expensive next to the competition. So the program has been a minor factor for me and will be a zero factor now.

I think Hyatt is adopting the Delta Air Lines approach -- that an organization can do very well with a bad loyalty program as long as it's operationally good. For most customers DL SkyMiles is not a magnet anymore. WoH will end up being relevant and useful to very few customers IMO, which is probably by design.
+100. Hyatt was my #1 when I had a Hyatt around. However, with this change, it dropped completely off my list of hotel chains. Alteast now i'm now projected to finish Marriott with 115 nights now (probably more).

The way HGP/WOH team been executing in the past year (with those insane status matches) made me very concerned about this programs future and this radical change just confirmed that this program is falling off the tracks. Maybe they are trying DL's philosophy but it just feels so poorly executed (everything from the T&C to the AMA).

I'm just sad to leave cause I was such a cheerleader for Hyatt with my F&F + coworkers.
Old Nov 17, 16, 7:52 am

Where Hyatt's model is likely falling short is on the unbiased base point qualification milestone. Adding the spa / dining spending would be brilliant for their bottom line had they set even a remotely realistic annual attainment level. If status was "within realistic reach for folks who may actually care to achieve it" they would have positioned these components of their business for significant growth. I'm not familiar with the Hyatt restaurants outside of NYC, but I will say that they could have put their business in a position to do the impossible in Manhattan - strip a serious chunk of business from Starbucks, etc. in midtown. Had they set the threshold at 12K, I bet NYC folks who spend a decent amount at Hyatt already would bump their spending at the Shops @ Andaz for coffee. If so, that would be brilliant, easy money for Hyatt. On the west coast, Hyatt's spas in Scottsdale would also see a boost IMO (lady spa days, etc.) Same premise. Maybe Hyatt wouldn't otherwise be the top spa destination choice in that area, but this could be a big incentive to choose Hyatt for bachelorette party venues, etc.

But the economics of 20K simply doesn't work to incentivize these things. Anyone who is spending anywhere near 20K on Hyatt per year (without already staying the required 55 nights) has to be in an economic bracket where money is literally no object. In which case, hotel status would be largely unimportant. That's where I believe Hyatt misjudged the opportunity set...
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised by the reactions of most of the bloggers. They seem fairly restrained in their criticism of WOH, with some of them making comments that are critical of those who qualified for Diamond via 25 stays, but if course nit criticizing those whom status matched or make a practice of using the night's and stays from credit cards to maintain status.

There's been very little response in the blogs to the reddit AMA. So far, I've only found one that appeared to even read the AMA transcript. I guess all the WOH changes are old news by now.
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm surprised by the reactions of most of the bloggers. They seem fairly restrained in their criticism of WOH, with some of them making comments that are critical of those who qualified for Diamond via 25 stays, but if course nit criticizing those whom status matched or make a practice of using the night's and stays from credit cards to maintain status.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:56 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

There's been very little response in the blogs to the reddit AMA. So far, I've only found one that appeared to even read the AMA transcript. I guess all the WOH changes are old news by now.
Over time, all of the main bloggers have gotten a lot closer with credit card companies, airlines and hotel chains. They are still useful, but it seems like none of the bloggers want to risk giving up access to all their referral bonuses, free rooms, one-on-one meetings with top executives, etc., so now I just read everything with a bit more skepticism.
Old Nov 17, 16, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm surprised by the reactions of most of the bloggers.
Not surprising at all if you understand the bloggers' business model.
Old Nov 17, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
As a leisure traveller who qualified with 25 stays/40-45 nights each year, of course I am extremely unhappy with the changes. But that does not mean I'm going to ditch Hyatt, so I guess I will not be sending much of a message.

For me, it is a question of whether I prfioritize the point program because I like the hotels or prfioritize where I stay because I like the point program.

There are nice Hyatt properties in all of the destinations we are considering for next year, and Hiltons in only a few. I can easily get Hilton gold with a cc for about US$100/year, but there are only a few destinations with Hilton properties that I would consider for the next 18 months. Explore status with Hyatt will require 30 nights, but there seem to be nice Hyatt properties in all the places we're interested in.

Am I going to punish myself because I'm angry about the changes? Not likely. I'll just let off a bit of steam here and get on with my life.

The real loser from these changes will be Hyatt. The bottom-feeders who were previously easily doing 50 nights on their employers bill or who were doing mattress runs at $70/night (likely 100% Americans) will up it to 60, while the leisure travellers like myself who were previously staying 40+ nights will drop it to 30. The result, decreased revenue.
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
The bottom-feeders who were previously easily doing 50 nights on their employers bill or who were doing mattress runs at $70/night (likely 100% Americans) will up it to 60, while the leisure travellers like myself who were previously staying 40+ nights will drop it to 30. The result, decreased revenue.
Actually, I suspect many sub-60 nights travelers will drop from the 40 nights range to below 10 nights b/c they don't find Explorist worth directing stays to Hyatt.
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Actually, I suspect many sub-60 nights travelers will drop from the 40 nights range to below 10 nights b/c they don't find Explorist worth directing stays to Hyatt.
Exactly.... I see very little value in Explorist status and I won't stay even one extra night to get it. So Hyatt will simply be just another choice where I might stay if price and property work for me. And since a lot of the properties are normally priced somewhat above the competition I expect not more than 10-15 nights next year.
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta Gold; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I fit into this category and am also a Hyatt leisure traveler. I will requalify for Diamond this year (and will have earned more than 70k base points in 2016 along the way) but have already started shifting 2017's stays to different brands.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: