Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Effectively: "We're now an even smaller chain in comparison to our closest competitor SPG, so we're increasing requirements to get meaningful status."

Makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted by dw
So even lowly Platinums take a hit with no more access to premium internet and no more late checkout.
Yeah that's a big hit to me
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Breakfast only up to 2 people now...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:49 am

Ok after reading the update on the One Mile at a Time blog...I am in. Sounds good to me overall. I also like the free cat 7 cert in March as a thanks, plus the little bonus for staying at brands in the form of another cat 4 cert (nice since I never got anything for 25 hotels or 50 hotels... ). Basically sounds like my major concerns were unfounded and the benefits are all additive. I also like no resort fees on PAID stays...that is a nice touch. DSUs on award stays are also nice.

I will say, two people for breakfast is a negative, although in practice currently when I pay for 2 rooms, I always get the benefit on each room, so I would hope hotels would continue to do that since it wasn't spelled out before and isn't now. If I pay for two rooms and bring another couple of friends on a trip but they don't get breakfast, then it pretty much negates my benefit entirely so hopefully that doesn't become an issue.

Getting DSUs when you qualify...nice. Having them expire 12 months from when you earn them...not nice. That's a weird balance you might have to achieve. You might want or need them to be good for later and that would create an odd situation. You hit 60 nights in May but have a trip planned for next July and want to use a DSU but they will have expired by then...

Requalifying only requires 55 nights? If that is permanent year over year, this is a GREAT upgrade to the program for me overall. Personally, none of this is world beating, but overall on balance I find these changes to be absolutely GREAT for me. A true enhancement, not a UA type 'enhancement'. A few very minor negatives like losing 2500 points for closed clubs, and 2 adults 2 kids breakfast (although as I said, I am hopeful that will play out differently in practice as it does now), but a large set of additions and improvements.

I guess if you only qualify on 25 stays and barely more nights, you lose, but for those who actually do nights, this is a great improvement. I will miss the ability to get in on stays, which I have done in years past, but haven't for a few years so I can live without it, especially if that is the price of the improvements.

Oh one more thing...Hyatt PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the STUPID NAMES.

Last edited by antonius66; Oct 27, 2016 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:51 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by josephstern
Effectively: "We're now an even smaller chain in comparison to our closest competitor SPG, so we're increasing requirements to get meaningful status."
Exactly.

What's confusing to me is... having over the years achieved status with both SPG and Marriott and then having moved on to other chains... their new footprint has actually gotten me to book quite a few stays over the past few weeks because sometimes location really is the most important for me, for both work and leisure travel.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded that Hyatt would be making these changes now, as many would argue they are now a much weaker competitor against the big three/four.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by antonius66

Note to Hyatt: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE rename the tiers Member, Gold, Platinum, Diamond. Just add the basic member tier instead of calling it gold and make gold a new tier. I mean seriously...for some people (not me but still), Globalist is a very negative term with negative geopolitical connotations. Explorist, Discoverist? Those aren't even words for crying out loud. Enough of the idiotic marketing office buzzword new, odd word type BS please.
Agree.

Coining those words is a bad idea .

Extremists...terrorists...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Requalifying only requires 55 nights? If that is permanent year over year, this is a GREAT upgrade to the program for me overall.
Better than the previous 50 nights to qualify?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
As someone who qualifies on stays, I may have to find another board to moderate!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:00 am

Question: Does the Explorist upgrade for 4 nights to the lounge or for 4 stays (for example 1 stays with 14 nights, 1 with 7 night, 1 with x night and a last one) or during a holiday stay just 4 nights from the 14 nights???
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
2500 for closed lounge is gone. Boo.

Any update on welcome amenity vs. points with the new program? The One Mile at a Time blog helped answer tons of questions, which is nice.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Better than the previous 50 nights to qualify?
Yes. If the price of the upgrades is 5 more nights? This is GREAT since I thought it was going to be 60 every year. Stay 5 more nights and you will give me a free night in a cat 4 and another in a cat 7? So....spend 5 more nights and you give me 2 back? Plus the other improvements? ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited by antonius66; Oct 27, 2016 at 11:14 am
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
What will the Andaz Maui do now to nickel an dime their guests now that Globalists don't pay resort or parking fees?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I would love to see something different for "foreign" members. Being based in Europe and with almost no Hyatt presence (nothing in Poland, Hungary, and most neighboring countries, or some random PH Vienna where it's just a ridiculous night rate) bassically will make me move to any other program. Heck, Best Western has a better presence in Europe!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Well considering that I spend at least 10 days in Waikiki each year, and sometimes 20, the parking benefit will save me a bundle and go a long way toward doing extra mattress runs for the nights. But I still have to do the math.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exmike
What will the Andaz Maui do now to nickel an dime their guests now that Globalists don't pay resort or parking fees?
Seriously.

It'd be nice if, as part of these 'enhancements,' they were stricter with properties that evade the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.