Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Los Angeles Downtown (Date unknown - orig. 2021)

Park Hyatt Los Angeles Downtown (Date unknown - orig. 2021)

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Chinese conglomerate, "financing problems", corruption. Is anyone really surprised about this? .

A month won't delay this project by a lot but yeah it could last longer. Though it's in the final stage of completion so it shouldn't be that serious.
I was yelled at when I was critical of this project being "Chinese financed" Nice to see that I was correct in my skepticism! BTW as mentioned in the article above not only is construction halted but there is over $50 million owed to contractors at this point.
It is so incredibly ugly- but that whole area is being turned into some sort of Blade Runner eyesore. when they get the LED lights flashing on this complex it is going to be painful!

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Feb 9, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I was yelled at when I was critical of this project being "Chinese financed" Nice to see that I was correct in my skepticism! BTW as mentioned in the article above not only is construction halted but there is over $50 million owed to contractors at this point.
It is so incredibly ugly- but that whole area is being turned into some sort of Blade Runner eyesore. when they get the LED lights flashing on this complex it is going to be painful!
This project might stay a metal skeleton considering the way the Chinese economy is going.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:21 am

in Las Vegas, halted construction, even when topped-out, often requires demolition.

i.e. the former tower at Aria’s Crystals
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
when they get the LED lights flashing on this complex it is going to be painful!
Ugh, thank you for reminding of my sleepless night in the JW LA Live.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
This debacle is a sign that Hyatt should open their next property on the Westside instead of downtown.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Colin
in Las Vegas, halted construction, even when topped-out, often requires demolition.

i.e. the former tower at Aria’s Crystals
That wasn't the problem with The Harmon. The rebar was improperly built, so the building was deemed uninhabitable.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gengar
That wasn't the problem with The Harmon. The rebar was improperly built, so the building was deemed uninhabitable.
Do you know what exactly was wrong with the rebar installation?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JackE
Do you know what exactly was wrong with the rebar installation?
I'm not sure of the specifics on the Harmon tower. There was obviously litigation over damages for several years, but was eventually settled out of court - I don't know how much of the information presented during the trial is publicly available.

My recollection of the timeline was that the defects in the rebar were not discovered until the building was already well into construction. Due to the defects, the tower height was halved from 50ish to 25ish floors. But after the tower was nearly completed at its reduced height, further inspections determined the building would not have sufficient earthquake resistance even at its reduced height. There were some claims in the media that it was the continued testing of the rebar and examination by various parties in preparation for litigation that further damaged the rebar sufficiently enough to make the building completely uninhabitable - an ironic possibility, but who really knows.

In any case, the mere stoppage of construction does not in itself affect the viability of what's already been completed. After all, the St. Regis Tower here in Vegas (at the Venetian) has been stalled for over 10 years, but Sands says they're finally going to resume construction.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gengar
There were some claims in the media that it was the continued testing of the rebar and examination by various parties in preparation for litigation that further damaged the rebar sufficiently enough to make the building completely uninhabitable - an ironic possibility, but who really knows.
That sounds like an invented defense by one of the contractors responsible for the defect.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That sounds like an invented defense by one of the contractors responsible for the defect.
Or several/all of them, I agree.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:25 am

After Huge Project Stalls, Questions Rise At South Park?s $1 Billion Oceanwide Plaza | Development | ladowntownnews.com
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:05 am

City of Los Angeles should litigate to condemn & foreclose or force the property into bankruptcy.
Mark the 2/3 completed project to market, sell it to a new well-capitalized developer, pay the debts, and give whatever's left back to the original equity holders.
6 months in enough. An eyesore across from the city's marquee sports & entertainment complex plus the public health risk of an un-maintained partially complete building.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:15 am

cranes are moving this am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Colin
cranes are moving this am
Nice. I need my cheap rooms for Staples events!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Nice. I need my cheap rooms for Staples events!
I highly doubt the Park Hyatt LA will provide cheap rooms for anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.