Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Seattle REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Seattle REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

No pool at Hyatt Regency Seattle or Grand Hyatt. Smallish jacuzzi at Grand. Very nice indoor pools at HR Lake Washington and Olive 8.

Breakfast is club lounge at HR Seattle (best I’ve ever seen in a lounge: hot/cold massive spread and basically a full dinner too). Lounge at Grand very typical/average for Hyatt. Lounge at HR Lake Washington has great views but limited food offerings (unless things have improved...) Breakfast at Olive 8 is sit down (no lounge) and acceptable although many rave about it.

Lake Washington is a gorgeous property in a gorgeous location but is probably too far out for most visitors. Grand Hyatt and Olive 8 are nice hotels but overdue for a renovation and showing their age. They are also overpriced IMHO. HR Seattle is gorgeous and brand new.

Any comments on Bellevue? I understand it has a pool as well. Preferences given to pool and breakfast since it's a family trip.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Any comments on Bellevue? I understand it has a pool as well. Preferences given to pool and breakfast since it's a family trip.
Best breakfast, by a mile, as well as food in general would be HR Seattle. The Club Lounge there is unbelievable and I wouldn't be surprised if they dial it back. As of a few months ago, it was like a free buffet restaurant (with high quality food)... for hungry kids, I can't imagine a better spot. Outdoor Terrace w/firepits also strikes me as very family friendly in the evenings.

In terms of HR Bellevue - that's one I haven't stayed at BUT I've been there and it's definitely older, and it's in Bellevue which to me is a negative (but others will probably disagree). I don't know what the point of your trip is, but if the point is to see/experience Seattle in all its summer glory, then Bellevue is NOT Seattle. Bellevue is a snooty/upper middle class suburb in the same category as Newport Beach CA, Irvine CA, or other "Orange County" type places. The HR Bellevue sits adjacent to a rather large showplace style mall, so if that's what you want then you've got it all there. You are a good 30 minutes from Seattle in even modest traffic...

Being in the heart of Seattle will provide easy, walking distance access to lots of famous landmarks, and if you have Globalist status, you might also have an amazing view of the Space Needle and lots more right from your room.

If you absolutely must have a great pool and are resigned to staying outside of Seattle, personally I'd choose the HR Lake Washington. Time distance driving to Seattle is similar, and the location is much more natural/gorgeous facing Lake Washington. It's a new and beautiful facility with an average club lounge but a GREAT pool (nicest of all in the area). You are also next to a very accessible and very beautiful (and very large) waterfront park area. There's a large outdoor mall within walking distance, as well, and if you like planes then the Boeing factory is churning them out right next door. To me, a more interesting location than Newport Beach North - but to each their own.
seawolf likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by freckles123
Question for you two or for anyone who has experience with the Seattle-based Hyatt's. Which would you do: HR Seattle 15k pts + $45 parking vs HR Lake Washington 12k pts + $18 parking over several days? Does your answer change if club lounge access is included?
The issue is location. Are you going to Seattle to see Seattle? HR Lake Washington is probably a good 30 minute drive from any location in Seattle, and potentially quite a bit longer. Parking Downtown is a PAIN and expensive if you plan to be downtown. If you aren't going to spend time IN Seattle than Lake Washington is a great choice, nice hotel, nice facility, etc. If you plan on seeing sites IN Seattle, than HR Seattle is the way to go, even with the increased costs, it also has a wonderful club lounge whereas the Lake Washington property has an average club lounge (w/great views!)
rogo and freckles123 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Unhappy Beautiful hotel. Ambivalent on the guests.

I am here now in preparation for a move. It is a lovely property, and I second the reviews comparing the lounge offerings to an APAC Hyatt property. The staff is extremely friendly, especially the club and front desk staff. The rooms are clean, modern, and serene, if not a bit mundane. Evening cocktails are a varying theme (Indian, Japanese etc.) alongside the standard fruit and cheese fare. Breakfast is fresh and hot with a decent amount of variety (except in juices, where OJ and cranberry seem to be as far as the imagination goes). I was upgraded to a(n unrequested) suite for my first night, but when I had to extend for a few days, I was placed in a high floor king with an excellent view. The GM mentioned that he would try to get me back in a suite for my remaining nights.

Seattle is a diverse city and this hotel seems guests of all walks of life. Usually that is a wonderful thing. I love meeting fellow Globalists and Hyatt enthusiasts in club lounges. Today, however, I had a terrible experience in the club lounge. I was sitting at the far back long table alone, watching a streaming video with headphones in. I had been there for a couple of hours with various guests sitting down at times and me gladly making small talk if requested. At some point, I felt a rough brush on my back, which was just a woman sitting down with her husband (who had approached from the other side of the table that I could view; on my side there was only a wall of windows abutting the table). I was surprised and annoyed that she didn't say anything to excuse the intrusion so I gave her a questioning look. She never looked at me, but her husband saw me and kept looking at me. They got up a few minutes later, realizing that the basketball game they wished to watch was not delayed as compared to the other screens. As they got up, I caught his eye again and he in an irritated voice said "this table doesn't belong to you; you're an idiot.". I removed my headphones and indicated that I didn't understand what he was talking about. At that point, he reiterated in a raised voice (yeh, he was yelling) that I was an idiot several times, most of which came bellowing from when he was at the buffet. It was embarrassing to be yelled at by an older gentleman in front of his wife and adult children (I assume they were). I tried to explain my POV and even wrote the wife a note explaining what had happened (I distinctly heard her crumple it up as I walked away). I was shocked that I had this experience in a club and that someone would be so vocal even if they had been wronged. With tears in my eyes, I left the club and don't feel comfortable going back while this family is staying at the hotel.

Clearly, this is not that fault of the HR Seattle. And clearly, there are going to be those who say that I needed to have my chair pushed in completely, or not be listening to a movie so intently that I couldn't hear anyone else around me. And then, there are those people that will just comment that I need to get a backbone and shake it off. Don't worry, I will be fine tomorrow. I am just leaving my experience in the hopes that those who read here understand that escalating a situation to insult, especially in a public forum is not kind and can be momentarily devastating to the person you seek to belittle in these fleeting moments. I know that it will change my behavior going forward.

Last edited by heatheresq; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:13 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by heatheresq
I am here now in preparation for a move. It is a lovely property, and I second the reviews comparing the lounge offerings to an APAC Hyatt property. The staff is extremely friendly, especially the club and front desk staff. The rooms are clean, modern, and serene, if not a bit mundane. Evening cocktails are a varying theme (Indian, Japanese etc.) alongside the standard fruit and cheese fare. Breakfast is fresh and hot with a decent amount of variety (except in juices, where OJ and cranberry seem to be as far as the imagination goes). I was upgraded to a(n unrequested) suite for my first night, but when I had to extend for a few days, I was placed in a high floor king with an excellent view. The GM mentioned that he would try to get me back in a suite for my remaining nights.

Seattle is a diverse city and this hotel seems guests of all walks of life. Usually that is a wonderful thing. I love meeting fellow Globalists and Hyatt enthusiasts in club lounges. Today, however, I had a terrible experience in the club lounge. I was sitting at the far back long table alone, watching a streaming video with headphones in. I had been there for a couple of hours with various guests sitting down at times and me gladly making small talk if requested. At some point, I felt a rough brush on my back, which was just a woman sitting down with her husband (who had approached from the other side of the table that I could view; on my side there was only a wall of windows abutting the table). I was surprised and annoyed that she didn't say anything to excuse the intrusion so I gave her a questioning look. She never looked at me, but her husband saw me and kept looking at me. They got up a few minutes later, realizing that the basketball game they wished to watch was not delayed as compared to the other screens. As they got up, I caught his eye again and he in an irritated voice said "this table doesn't belong to you; you're an idiot.". I removed my headphones and indicated that I didn't understand what he was talking about. At that point, he reiterated in a raised voice (yeh, he was yelling) that I was an idiot several times, most of which came bellowing from when he was at the buffet. It was embarrassing to be yelled at by an older gentleman in front of his wife and adult children (I assume they were). I tried to explain my POV and even wrote the wife a note explaining what had happened (I distinctly heard her crumple it up as I walked away). I was shocked that I had this experience in a club and that someone would be so vocal even if they had been wronged. With tears in my eyes, I left the club and don't feel comfortable going back while this family is staying at the hotel.

Clearly, this is not that fault of the HR Seattle. And clearly, there are going to be those who say that I needed to have my chair pushed in completely, or not be listening to a movie so intently that I couldn't hear anyone else around me. And then, there are those people that will just comment that I need to get a backbone and shake it off. Don't worry, I will be fine tomorrow. I am just leaving my experience in the hopes that those who read here understand that escalating a situation to insult, especially in a public forum is not kind and can be momentarily devastating to the person you seek to belittle in these fleeting moments. I know that it will change my behavior going forward.
There are crazy, insensitive, and rude people everywhere... but what does this really have to do with the HR Seattle, or even Hyatt at all? Bizarre post IMHO.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

There are crazy, insensitive, and rude people everywhere... but what does this really have to do with the HR Seattle, or even Hyatt at all? Bizarre post IMHO.
perfectly reasonable response so please feel free to disregard the secondary comments on my lounge experience. While my (previously admitted) singular experience could have played out in any arena, I thought some in this community would like to know my full impression of what’s going on at the HRS.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
This doesn’t excuse the man’s behavior, but in an instance like that I sometimes write it off to him possibly having a problem like dementia and thus without a filter, especially if he was yelling. The wife might have been kowtowing to keep the peace.

If anything like that occurs again, I would certainly bring it to the staff’s attention and let them handle it. Don’t let it keep you from enjoying the club. He was in the wrong.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by heatheresq

perfectly reasonable response so please feel free to disregard the secondary comments on my lounge experience. While my (previously admitted) singular experience could have played out in any arena, I thought some in this community would like to know my full impression of what’s going on at the HRS.
There should be a lounge attendant near the entrance. Why not utilize them to remove the problem?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
If anything like that occurs again, I would certainly bring it to the staff’s attention and let them handle it. Don’t let it keep you from enjoying the club. He was in the wrong.
Originally Posted by tearex
There should be a lounge attendant near the entrance. Why not utilize them to remove the problem?
I've considered this type of situations in the past and wondered what can the hotel employees do? RC attendants are not trained to handle unruly guests. They might call security if the situation is at that level.
What do you think the lounge attendant can do in this situation? Tell the guest to be civil? Or else?

We were at Hyatt Regency Phuket recently and my daughter heard loud shouting coming from the Regency Club just after 9PM. Our suite was next door to the RC so anyone talking by the RC pool can be heard. The man's voice was so angry that my daughter was concerned for his companion. She shouted to the man to shut the **** up. I went over to the RC and told the employee what was going on and later discussed this with the RC Manager. He was able to identify the man but couldn't really do anything.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
I've considered this type of situations in the past and wondered what can the hotel employees do? RC attendants are not trained to handle unruly guests. They might call security if the situation is at that level.
What do you think the lounge attendant can do in this situation? Tell the guest to be civil? Or else?
EXACTLY. Outside of calling security or the police (if appropriate) there's nothing for the lounge staff to do. I feel like this situation, while unfortunate, is a reflection of society in general, and has nothing to do with this hotel or Hyatt.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Um, does anyone know what the club hours are?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Um, does anyone know what the club hours are?
Dinner spread -- sublime! -- out until 8pm.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:01 pm

I just stayed here in a standard room with no status. I enjoyed my stay, although the decor felt bland. Not particularly regal, if we take the Regency brand literally. It feels as though they're trying to pull off a Westin "zen" vibe but not succeeding.

One mini-shocker that didn't affect me, but may impact people on longer stays: a placard on the nightstand indicates that housekeeping will skip every other day due to the Seattle labor market.

Next time I'm booking the Olive 8 if rates are equal. But this time, this Regency was cheaper and I found that the value and service met all expectations.

Protip for Uber riders: Uber navigation leads to a side entrance. There's a loading zone there, but it's small, and was fully occupied when I arrived. You might ask the driver to pull a bit forward and turn left into the hotel's private driveway, which is massive and will give you a lot more space to safely unload.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Seems almost impossible to get an award night stay here despite tons of availability. Has anyone else had an issue finding award availability?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Seems almost impossible to get an award night stay here despite tons of availability. Has anyone else had an issue finding award availability?
This is a historical data point but hopeful it’s valuable. I stayed 4 non-continuous nights in mid-June on awards/points. Had no issue finding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.