Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Seattle REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Seattle REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by caliform
The website lists 'Fall 2018' in the text and 'Winter 2018' in the heading. Not super confidence inspiring...
Winter 2018 could mean December 2018 or it could mean January-February 2018 which has already passed.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just speculation, but doubt this will be a Category 7 property when the Olive & Grand Hyatt are only Category 4.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I walk by this property daily. It is getting quite close to being finished. I would be willing to bet it will open by November 1, 2018.

Apparently it is going to have a Daniel's Broiler (a local steak house chain). No pool, so you'll have to visit the Olive 8 for that.

My guess is that some time in the future, the Olive 8 and Grand Hyatt will be re-categorized (Category 5) and the new Regency will be Category 4.

Currently it lists 30 suites (though not sure if that means true 1 bedroom suites or not).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Mosaic JetBlue, explorist, chase reserve
This is going to be a category 4. You can now book online and it shows 15k points per night.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Hotel is officially opening in December. I believe it; signage is up, the property is looking very close to finished.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

"Now accepting reservations for stays from December 10, 2018 and beyond."

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 20, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
My husband's company is based in Seattle & they're holding their yearly internal conference here the week of January 7th, 2019. We'll be Explorist level with 1 last club access award, so I look forward to checking the hotel & club out!

We stayed at the Olive 8 last year & had a great stay & a very nice suite as Globalists.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
"Now accepting reservations for stays from December 10, 2018 and beyond."

-David
Hotel has officially opened: https://newsroom.hyatt.com/Hyatt-Reg...ific-Northwest

Hyatt announced today the opening of Hyatt Regency Seattle, located in the heart of downtown at 808 Howell Street and near some of Seattle’s top attractions including the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Pike Place Market. With its sprawling, dynamic event space and number of guestrooms, Hyatt Regency Seattle is the largest hotel in the Pacific Northwest and new premier destination for meetings and events in the region. It joins two other Seattle-area Hyatt Regency hotels and offers a one-stop experience that puts everything guests need right at their fingertips.

The 45-story hotel features 1,260 guestrooms, all of which are furnished with floor-to-ceiling windows, sizeable modern bathrooms, 65-inch TVs and a collection of black-and-white photography, shot by six Seattle-based photographers, highlighting the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest region. The hotel also offers guests a StayFit® Fitness Center, outfitted with Peloton bikes and other Technogym state-of-the-art cardio and strength equipment, and an expansive Hyatt Regency Club lounge with fire pits and wraparound patio that provides guests with stellar views of downtown Seattle.

Located just two short blocks from the Washington State Convention Center and adjacent to The Summit, the planned convention center expansion building slated to open Spring 2022, Hyatt Regency Seattle offers more than 103,000 square feet of dynamic meeting and event space for a variety of gatherings, ranging from intimate meetings to larger conferences and weddings.

“Progress is all around us,” says Hyatt Regency Seattle General Manager Tom Wolf. “No other addition to Seattle’s vastly updated cityscape is more important for Seattle tourism than the new, very visible contemporary building right in the middle of town: Hyatt Regency Seattle. With the opening of the largest hotel in the Pacific Northwest this year, Seattle will finally have the meeting space options it needs.”

Consistent with the Pacific Northwest theme throughout the property, meeting and event spaces are named after bodies of water located throughout Washington state:
  • The Columbia and Regency Ballrooms each offer 19,000+ square feet of space with 24- and 30-foot high ceilings, respectively.
  • Two junior ballrooms: Elwha Ballroom is 7,200 square feet, while Quinault Ballroom has 3,400 square feet of functional meeting space.
  • The high-end Deschutes Executive Boardroom, featuring a private balcony that can accommodate 24 people.
  • Eight pre-function spaces, each ranging from 4,292 to 7,022 square feet, which are flooded in natural light.
  • An additional 46 meeting rooms, ranging from 600 to 1,900 square feet, complete with floor-to-ceiling windows.
  • All meetings rooms are outfitted with audiovisual equipment, multiple electrical, microphone and phone outlets, as well as blackout blinds and T1 high-speed Internet with dedicated bandwidth capabilities.
The new Hyatt Regency Seattle also offers guests three on-site dining experiences:
  • Andare, a fast-casual Italian-style trattoria, which features a variety of homemade pasta dishes, salads and pizzas cooked in a wood-burning oven
  • Daniel’s Broiler, an upscale and locally renowned steakhouse owned by Schwartz Bros. Restaurants, which features USDA Prime steaks, seafood, an extensive wine list and a vast collection of whiskeys, as well as a piano bar
  • The Market, a 24-hour premium grab-and-go retail space with café seating, where guests can purchase freshly prepared hot and cold food and beverage items.
Built by local developer R.C. Hedreen Company, in collaboration with Seattle-based companies LMN Architects and Sellen Construction Group, the new hotel features elements that celebrate the Pacific Northwest region and can be seen throughout the property’s guestrooms and public spaces. Upon arriving, guests will notice the bright, open, and contemporary design, matched with floor-to-ceiling windows to let in as much natural light as possible, and purposefully selected, locally inspired art and photography.

R.C. Hedreen Company successfully builds and operates hotels in Seattle, and its portfolio includes Grand Hyatt Seattle and Hyatt Olive 8. To leave a lasting impact on the Pacific Northwest region with Hyatt Regency Seattle, local companies who understand Seattle real estate, LMN and Sellen, were brought in to collaborate, design and build the impressive sky-high hotel. LMN believes that architecture celebrates the inherent qualities of the region, community and site. Any new building functions in relationship to the fabric of its physical location and community of users, as well as its social, cultural and environmental context. Sellen is Seattle’s premiere builder – building communities, relationships and of course most of the significant buildings in town.

Additionally, Hyatt Regency Seattle is targeting LEED Gold Certification in 2019, which is the second highest green building rating in the world. As part of their efforts, Hyatt Regency Seattle has incorporated many sustainable elements into its guest amenities and overall design, including:
  • Premium large-format bath amenities in each guestroom bathroom, saving more than one million plastic bottles in waste.
  • Installing a light-colored roof to reduce the urban heat-island effect.
  • Incorporating a highly efficient laundry system that captures both heat and water after use to reduce the need for additional energy to preheat incoming water to the laundry system.
For more information about Hyatt Regency Seattle or to book your accommodations, please visit hyattregencyseattle.com.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

• Premium large-format bath amenities in each guestroom bathroom, saving more than one million plastic bottles in waste.
Nice way of saying of 3 in 1 amenity dispenser? Unless, they give large bottles that would still contribute plastic waste.
lalala likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:36 am

Had a two night stay this week a few days after opening. The size of the property can not be overstated, its definitely designed to be a business/convention center hotel targeting moving a high volume of guests. Over a dozen check-in desks, two banks with six elevators each, and eight floors of public area - five of which are ballrooms/meeting rooms. Its night and day difference compared to the Grand Hyatt and Olive 8 properties a block away - its also incredibly “generic” and the only way to describe it is - “it feels like a Hyatt”

A few notes/observations:
  • the property is quiet - granted it was pretty empty during my stay. But whatever acoustic treatments they did are amazing. Had a corner room with two windows facing major construction 12 floors up - i couldn’t hear a thing. The mechanical systems, elevator, escalators, HVAC were all amazingly quiet
  • they seem a bit overstaffed - check-in consistently had 6-8 folks manning desks and never did I see a line. facilities had 3 people roaming the lobby area cleaning, 6 valets with no cars to park, and in the club 4 folks always working. I’m certainly not complaining, but they certainly seemed staffed up to handle the 1,200 room capacity already
  • the guest floors remind me a lot of the Hyatt Mag Mile in Chicago. With a two-sided elevator bank in the middle, surrounded by a perimeter rectangle of rooms. The perimeter guest hallways are all long and can feel endless, but they do have unique photography in front of each room to at least make the walk somewhat interesting. The rooms themselves are quite long and skinny.
  • the rooms have plenty of outlets (8 USB ports), and lights (each side of the bed has a headboard light, side table light, reading light and an automatic night-light). The 65” Samsung TV does feel even larger, considering the room layout at positioned 2-3 feet from the end of the bed - and offers Staycast (Chromecast for hospitality). There are no closets, just an open wall unit with hangers above, suitcase shelf, and 3 drawers below. Coffee machine is Keurig, and the mini-fridge is the high-efficeny style that doesn’t have a freezer and only keeps things “coldish” - and no ice bucket. In the corner rooms there are two windows - but as a minor annoyancee only one of the windows had curtains. Another major annoyance - the desk chair had no wheels.
  • the bathrooms have the dreaded wall-mounted body wash/shampoo/conditioner dispenser, and the shower stall has no door, only a single half-pane of glass. The shower controls are opposite mounted the shower head itself - pressure was fine, not great, but did get quite hot. amenities were NOT KenetMD brand but instead Pharmacopia the first time I’ve seen the brand in a US Hyatt. The bathroom mirror is backlit, and the switch is mounted right in the middle of the mirror itself. Toilet paper is thin and industrial, but…they provide toothpaste!
  • the highpoint of the property is the Regency Club. Hard product/facilities wise - this is near the top if not the #1 Regency Club in the states. It’s an absolutely huge “L” shaped space with a wrap-around balcony. Adding to the sense of size its a double-height floor, so the high ceilings combine with enormous windows to make the space feel even bigger. It also had sliding partitions to close off lounge space for what I imagine would create yet another meeting space. There’s a good mix of seating with, private work desks, cocktail tables, casual couches, and a few 8-10 seat dining tables. Equally the balcony has some variety with firepits, vegetation, and they though through the exit onto the balcony from the club. It has two off-set doors with a vestibule in-between, meaning rain/wind/noise from outside doesn’t intrude into the interior (they also had a basket of shawls/cloaks to borrow before heading outside). Soft product (lounge food/experience) is middle of the road. Breakfast and Hors D'oeuvres are pretty standard club fare (scrambled eggs/bacon/oatmeal and sliders/egg rolls/chicken noodle soup), although presentation is top notch with a huge space to place the buffet. However, the mid-day snacks are pleasantly “very Seattle.” With Jones soda, JcoCo and Chukar Cherries chocolates, as well as Ellenos greek yogurt. The staff is all imported from other Hyatt's as they train up the local team and the local team is still getting their bearings (no one seemed to know if the booze was free, or the actual hours (ended up being 6:30am-9pm, breakfast 6:30-9:30, hor d’oueuvres 5-8) and no one seemed to be checking club access or not with the door propped open (although just the same the club was amazingly empty everytime I popped in)
  • in an interesting cost-cutting measure - housekeeping is every other day. there’s a card in the room and they mention it at check-in. i was surprised that the card in the room didn’t just “spin” this as a environmental/green measure - but was upfront and said it was a “cost-conscious” measure. also sadly as a sign of the times, there’s a card in the room that also mentions that there are laws against assaulting/harassing hotel staff, and that the property is providing panic buttons to this frontline staff.
  • although the elevators are fast, I can see them running into trouble during busy times. the elevators only feature a keypad 0-9, requiring you to do two number entry to get to double-digit floors. more than once I observed folks end up on 11 and 22, when they intended to go to 1 and 2 respectively as pressing the buttons give a response so people press it multiple times.
It is a perfectly fine property and if only because of the club I can see this being my go to property in Seattle for work trips. Leisure trips I think i’d still suggest the Olive 8 or the Grand for the amenities (and daily housekeeping). Overall if you remove the club, the Hyatt Regency is an incredibly “forgettable” property. But that plays to its advantage, if you’re a frequent Hyatt business guest, you know what you’re getting and the property delivers.

8 floors of public space, 5 floors of conference rooms

Guest room floor map

Long generic hallways

Workspace, no wheels on desk chair

The bed with 8 light switches

No closet, just a luggage cubby

Dreaded large format bath amenities

Regency Club has plenty of space

Club buffet

Lots of seating types in club

Wrap-around terrace in the Regency Club

Variety of seating available on the terrance

Good sized gym, with high-end equipment.
LIH Prem, dawg1k, Skink and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:47 am

Thank you for the excellent review, Peeta! Going to every other day housekeeping seems like a major cutback for a full service property...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Excellent review.

also sadly as a sign of the times, there’s a card in the room that also mentions that there are laws against assaulting/harassing hotel staff, and that the property is providing panic buttons to this frontline staff.
GH Seattle also has this on their doors, if I'm not mistaken.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Excellent review.

Can confirm that. Anyone know if these are Franchise or Managed properties? I assumed that GH Seattle and Olive 8 were Franchises.....

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Excellent review.

I wonder if the posting about harassment is a Seattle law? I know there was a law change recently.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you peetahvw for the write ups and many pictures. That lounge looks 5 times as big as the last HR I stayed at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.