FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Place Melaka, Malaysia, opening uncertain (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1794036-hyatt-place-melaka-malaysia-opening-uncertain.html)

59Impala Oct 1, 2016 8:06 am

Hyatt Place Melaka, Malaysia, opening uncertain

Announced yesterday:
http://newsroom.hyatt.com/093016-Hya...n-In-Late-2019

carrotjuice Oct 2, 2016 5:46 pm

Great that Hyatt is expanding footprint in Malaysia.

There used to be a HR Johor Bahru about 20 years ago, but that has been sold to Thistle.

Brendan Oct 2, 2016 8:59 pm

The name "Melaka" also spelled "Malacca," which was a short-lived variety of Tanqueray Gin from 1997--2001, flips me out because it sounds just like a Greek-language obscenity :D !

nov11 Oct 3, 2016 11:12 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 27293822)
There used to be a HR Johor Bahru about 20 years ago, but that has been sold to Thistle.

Now you are making me feel old. I thought it was only about 10 years ago and it was well-known that it's quite haunted (not that it bothers me - I've stayed at the GH Taipei before).

LASUA1K Oct 4, 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 27294368)
The name "Melaka" also spelled "Malacca," which was a short-lived variety of Tanqueray Gin from 1997--2001, flips me out because it sounds just like a Greek-language obscenity :D !

Yes. This Greek always giggles a bit when he sees it.

lsquare Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm

I tried to search Hyatt's website without any success. Is this hotel open yet? We're two days away from 2020.

skj Dec 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31890566)
I tried to search Hyatt's website without any success. Is this hotel open yet? We're two days away from 2020.

If you look at the Hyatt web site, this property still shows as "pipeline"

lsquare Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by skj (Post 31890684)
If you look at the Hyatt web site, this property still shows as "pipeline"

What's the hold up? I just revived a nearly 4 year old thread. lol.

craigthemif Dec 31, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31890697)
What's the hold up? I just revived a nearly 4 year old thread. lol.

You have a lot to learn about hotel development...

lsquare Dec 31, 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31892846)
You have a lot to learn about hotel development...

Any update on the hotel then?

craigthemif Jan 1, 2020 1:02 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31893911)
Any update on the hotel then?

No... hotels get announced, then sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't. They are usually late.

New hotels are all done by local developers who can run out of money, not get the required building permits. A million reasons... Hyatt just signed a franchising deal and issued a press release.

You'd have to read the local newspapers or go by the building site yourself to know more.

lsquare Jan 1, 2020 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31895206)
No... hotels get announced, then sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't. They are usually late.

New hotels are all done by local developers who can run out of money, not get the required building permits. A million reasons... Hyatt just signed a franchising deal and issued a press release.

You'd have to read the local newspapers or go by the building site yourself to know more.

I tried to search on Google without any success. Maybe this project ain't going to happen then. The funny thing is that I was actually in Melaka (just checking the main tourist sites) in November 2019 and I didn't know about this project. Had I known, I probably would have went over for a look myself.