Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Istanbul: PH vs GH vs Hyatt Regency

Istanbul: PH vs GH vs Hyatt Regency

Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Istanbul: PH vs GH vs Hyatt Regency

I have a 24+ hour stay coming up in Istanbul next month, arriving a Thursday at 10 a.m. (on a short flight regional flight, so no jet lag FWIW) and then departing Friday at 1:30 pm.

I've been in Istanbul before, albeit just for five days. So on the layover I might want to walk around and take in a good meal or two, but no real sight-seeing priorities.

I understand the Hyatt Regency is relatively near the airport and realize that traffic can be lousy getting into town and back to the airport. Still, the GH and PH sound nicer and the price gap among the three is not that great for the dates I have in mind.

One other consideration that I believe I read is that there are water taxis near the HR that can be used to access other parts of town. But I'm not sure this is the case...

So...any recommendations among the three? Thanks for any advice
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:03 pm

I've only stayed at the PH (last December) and found it to be wonderful. However, having grown up in the city I can offer some perspective. While it will take you a good deal of time to get into the PH or the GH from the airport, it might be worth staying downtown since you do have a fairly solid chunk of time in the city. The area around the PH, called Nisantasi, is a trendy neighborhood with many restaurants and stores, mostly frequented by locals. An interesting side of Istanbul if you have not experienced the new city. The GH is located close to Taksim Square, a central area that is less interesting and that has been losing prominence among tourists and locals alike in recent years. The GH is also a much older property; the rooms at the PH are far superior. The Regency is close to the airport (about 15 minutes) but there is next to nothing around it. The ferries that you can catch from nearby will only take you to the Asian side, which can be interesting but I would prefer Nisantasi for sure. The Regency is quite new and the rooms look beautiful, and you might prefer it to the GH from a hotel-only perspective. However, the hassle of getting into the city by taxi (or taking a taxi to the nearest metro/tram station) is not worth it, in my opinion, if other factors like cost are not critical (the HR is usually significantly cheaper than the PH and the GH). Hope this is helpful!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much, oziyal! I did stay near Taksim Square on my previous trip, so a different neighborhood, in addition to the appeal of the PH itself, is enticing.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: *G
They're both great properties. Would echo sentiment above that it's a matter of location. Shopping and dining around PH is more upscale but also exclusive....for better or worse
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:08 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
oziyal is spot on - the new HR is a nice(r than the GH) hotel, but it's really way out, and the ferries, while excellent if you want to go Asia-side, don't go up to Besiktas/Ortakoy. I personally think that the GH is a solid hotel, although the club offerings have been downgraded over the years, but the PH is really a quality hotel. I still hold a soft spot for them after the concierge came out to look for me at about 1am one morning, when I had dined rather too well () and couldn't find the hotel. They're a class act. If the cost delta isn't significant for you, go to the PH and enjoy one of the few occasions where a Hyatt hotel is genuinely one of the best in the city.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:43 am
Community Director Emerita

Let me throw a twist into this. We will be in Istanbul for 2 nights during Ramadan. We've seen all the sights that interest us. We're in the city solely to see two sets of young people we hosted while at UCSD. Each is now married and has a child. Sunset is 8:30pm when we are in town. I anticipate we will be meeting each family for the evening meal, leaving us on our own all day. I know the Park Hyatt and the area immediately around it. I'm not confident that the restaurants outside the hotel will be open during the day. While I know we would get a very luxurious room, there's really not a good lounge area to hang out during the day. Given that, would you stay at the Grand Hyatt which has a lounge? The Park Hyatt because it is a beautiful property? Or stay elsewhere with a different brand?

I should be a Globalist this year, though I have yet to receive my Hyatt email. I could use a DSU at the Grand Hyatt. I wouldn't bother at the Park Hyatt because what they give diamonds is sufficient.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I think that Istanbul hotels are hurting right now... so I would suggest mailing the PH directly (I probably still have a contact name somewhere) and ask if they would give you a terrace suite for your DSU. [I've asked and been given one as a returning Diamond]. June would be a great time of year to have that outside space to hang out...

Failing that, my decision would probably be based on the location of your two visits, assuming that you would be going to them for evening meal each time... getting back from Asia side late evening can be a real PITA (getting taxi drivers to take you).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I loved the area around the PH; but mostly because of how European it feels. Also; great diamond treatment and probably the best service I've had at a PH. I would echo the suggestion of the previous poster re: terrace suite. You could always self cater from a nearby shop or market ad enjoy your suite during the day.

Fdw
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:01 pm

Hi,

As a native of Istanbul I can assure you that you won't have trouble locating open restaurants during the day during Ramadan. The area around the PH is upscale and "westernized" so you'll have absolutely no trouble. Same for the GH, although I would suggest that you choose the PH as it's a more interesting area with far more dining venues and choices. Only in fairly conservative neighborhoods would you run into issues finding food during the day, and it's not likely that you'll venture into those areas. Hope this helps and feel free to ask follow-up questions.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, Stewie Mac and FlyingDoctorwu.

Originally Posted by oziyal
As a native of Istanbul I can assure you that you won't have trouble locating open restaurants during the day during Ramadan. The area around the PH is upscale and "westernized" so you'll have absolutely no trouble. Same for the GH, although I would suggest that you choose the PH as it's a more interesting area with far more dining venues and choices. Only in fairly conservative neighborhoods would you run into issues finding food during the day, and it's not likely that you'll venture into those areas. Hope this helps and feel free to ask follow-up questions.
Thank you. This is excellent news and not what I had thought it would be. I'm glad to learn I am wrong.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Might you all have any recommendations for something that is family friendly and would allow 2 + 2 in a room? We might be there for ~3 days or so, light sightseeing as we're using IST as a gateway city for flights out to Asia.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:44 pm

I'm trying to choose a hotel between the PH, GH, Hyatt Centric and Nish Palas (which has one tepid review here). I'll be dependent on public transit for commuting, but that isn't a big consideration, and I don't care about upgrades. Solid service and facilities and a good gym do matter to me. Thanks. (I also bumped the thread on the HR Atakoy for two nights I need to spend near the airport, if you know about that place.)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm trying to choose a hotel between the PH, GH, Hyatt Centric and Nish Palas (which has one tepid review here). I'll be dependent on public transit for commuting, but that isn't a big consideration, and I don't care about upgrades. Solid service and facilities and a good gym do matter to me. Thanks. (I also bumped the thread on the HR Atakoy for two nights I need to spend near the airport, if you know about that place.)
I've stayed at the PH, GH, and Atakoy. The PH is solid and has great service. The GH is getting old at this point, but is more centrally located. Not sure about the gym in either. HC is well located also. Nish Palas is close to the PH. Depends mostly on where you will be commuting to as traffic/public transportation in Istanbul can be very difficult. I know the city well so happy to help.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by oziyal
I've stayed at the PH, GH, and Atakoy. The PH is solid and has great service. The GH is getting old at this point, but is more centrally located. Not sure about the gym in either. HC is well located also. Nish Palas is close to the PH. Depends mostly on where you will be commuting to as traffic/public transportation in Istanbul can be very difficult. I know the city well so happy to help.
Thank you, oziyal. As it turns out, the PH is beyond my rate limit during the specific dates of my stay, though I will monitor it for a while. I sent the Nish Palas asking about the gym and got no response. Whether they have one or not, I now have my doubts about customer service, so I will probably end up at the GH or HR. Oyster photos make the GH gym look fine, I'll probably split ten days between the two. (I travel very light, so it's easy for me.) I appreciate your thoughts on the Atakoy property; I really don't need to be at/near the airport, and I can supplement my hotel allowance to be closer to center, so I will, but thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:05 pm

Anyone with updates on the various Hyatts in Istanbul ? Park Hyatt vs GH vs Centric ? Anyone with recent experiences . Reviews in some sites range from terrible to excellent. EG Park Hyatt with new owners and in dire need of a renovation . Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.