Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf vs Cologne

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm planning for a trip to Germany and deciding on whether to make HR Dusseldorf or Cologne as my base for 2 nights stay (10/13 & 14). With only 30 min away from each other, which hotel would you recommend/suggest? And which pay method is better (I'm currently a Hyatt Diamond)?

Currently, advance pay rate at Dusseldorf is 167 Euro, C+P is 6000 points with 63 Euro (or 12,000 points)

Advance pay rate at Cologne is 128 Euro, C+P is 7500 points with 84 Euro (or 15,000 points).

It seems like HR Cologne is one category higher than Dusseldorf, but the advance pay rate is actually cheaper?
(Edit: just found out HR Cologne is currently under renovation, hence the lower rate.)

Thanks!

Last edited by apple1122; Aug 30, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Commenting on the towns and not the hotels, I find Dusseldorf more interesting for strolling around the center, evenings, meals, etc. Koln has the cathedral right next to the Hbf so it's easy to take the train there to see it and then a few smaller old churches and some remnants of the old wall and it's guard posts, plus a pedestrian shopping area close to the cathedral, but IMO not much else except for Karnival.

However, Koln is closer to wine villages and the stretch of the Rhein that has all the castles, between Mainz and Koblenz primarily.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:53 pm

I have not stayed in Koln but my recent stay in Dusseldorf was fantastic. Very impressed with the room upgrade I received as a Diamond (I booked on cash and points), the view of the river and port from the room was fantastic and the lounge was OK. I'll also echo the remarks above, Dusseldorf is a great town from wandering through and the HR is a pretty good starting point.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I've stayed at both. I would factor in where you intent to spend time in. The DUS property is more "upscale/modern" then Koln. Breakfast in DUS (can have breakfast in restaurant) has a pretty good selection. But if you are going to spend majority of time in Koln, staying in Koln would make more sense.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Commenting on the towns and not the hotels, I find Dusseldorf more interesting for strolling around the center, evenings, meals, etc. Koln has the cathedral right next to the Hbf so it's easy to take the train there to see it and then a few smaller old churches and some remnants of the old wall and it's guard posts, plus a pedestrian shopping area close to the cathedral, but IMO not much else except for Karnival.

However, Koln is closer to wine villages and the stretch of the Rhein that has all the castles, between Mainz and Koblenz primarily.
Funny I like Koln slightly better to Dusseldorf ... especially with the chance to drink away the day with Kolsch.

But neither one has tons of overt charm (you really have to dig under the covers to get that).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

we are planning to fly in or take train from Salzburg or Munich. I think by the time we arrive at DUS or Cologne, it will be after noon. So if we decided to stay at DUS, then we will tour and visit DUS for the remaining day and go to Cologne next day. It seems like there are more things to visit in Cologne than DUS? so probably will need the entire day? Then we will take train from DUS or Cologne to Amsterdam.

But it seems like HR Cologne is really close to the tourist places whereas HR Dus is a bit far from town center and also the central station.....

Originally Posted by seawolf
I've stayed at both. I would factor in where you intent to spend time in. The DUS property is more "upscale/modern" then Koln. Breakfast in DUS (can have breakfast in restaurant) has a pretty good selection. But if you are going to spend majority of time in Koln, staying in Koln would make more sense.

Last edited by apple1122; Aug 30, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I feel like HR Cologne is walkable to the Hbf and the old town. As a walker I felt isolated at the Düsseldorf hotel. And I love the view from the RC in Cologne.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...usseldorf.html

There is another recent thread comparing the two properties.

Although not a definitive answer, I think the general consensus is that Dusseldorf is the better hotel (should be a Grand IMO), but Cologne is better located for general tourist purposes.

I would also add that I have been able to do Best Rate Guarantee claims at both properties with relative ease, so have a look for those before booking anything prepaid.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Although not a definitive answer, I think the general consensus is that Dusseldorf is the better hotel (should be a Grand IMO), but Cologne is better located for general tourist purposes.

I would also add that I have been able to do Best Rate Guarantee claims at both properties with relative ease, so have a look for those before booking anything prepaid.
Was this before or after the changes to the BRG program several months ago?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:15 am

It is true that The Duess HR is not in the city center, but the walk is all on a very pleasant riverfront prominade.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:26 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by BobR
It is true that The Duess HR is not in the city center, but the walk is all on a very pleasant riverfront prominade.
Yes.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I searched but I think the rate is pretty much the same from all the 3rd party booking site for both hotels. (10/13-15, 2 nights).

What are the 3rd party sites you can recommend to match the BRG?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Take a look at Prestigia. I managed to BRG to half the lowest standard rate the website was quoting. Then I applied a DSU and got excellent value from my spend.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:28 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
I find the lounge in CGN is way better than DUS. Have stayed multiple times in CGN, and the selection for both breakfast and dinner is fantastic. Stayed in DUS for 2 nights just this week (first stay), and was a quite disappointed by the selection. Both lounges offer great views of the river Rhein, the DUS lounge is more modern, but selection cannot be compared.

I disagree with craigthemif, that the DUS hotel should be a GH. both DUS and CGN are justified to be a HR.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Member

As far as rooms are concern, DUS is better than CGN especially the bathroom even in the post-renovation CGN rooms.

There are concerns with DUS air-conditioner in the summer. Not sure about CGN as I've never stayed at that time.

CGN has a pool.

Breakfast in restaurant is about the same. Both have wonderful spreads. CGN allows Diamond breakfast as room-service. Not sure about DUS.

Never went to DUS lounge in the evening so I can't compare with CGN. CGN lounge allows for 24 hours access to soft drinks/water. Don't think DUS lounge provide 24 hours access.

Street parking at DUS could be a challenge as restaurants/hotels in nearby streets but if you find a spot, overnight parking is generally free.

Overnight street parking at CGN is about €20 (similar to hotel garage) with the exception of several spots on Kennedy-Ufer behind the hotel where you can get 24-hour at €4 with max stay of 7 days at €28.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.