Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cartagena - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Some advice for non-Colombian nationals: The VAT (called IVA in Spanish) will be deducted from your hotel bill ONLY if you book a rate package that includes a meal or some other added-value item.

IVA will be charged by this hotel on room-only or Points + Cash rates. In many instances it is worth booking the "Bed and Breakfast" rate to save the IVA.

Many other hotels in Colombia include breakfast automatically in order to reflect this package-deal requirement.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Cartagena - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754
I have stayed here several times. Always fairly flawless experiences, from check in to check out. Got a Regency Suite on a couple occasions, very comfortable and impressive! As for taxes the hotel adds a local calling package to all bookings this costs like 500 pesos (you don't even see it) If you are on a tourist visa you will be waived the VAT. They accidently charged me on one of my last staye because they scanned the wrong Visa (One from March 2017 not March 2018) It was quickly rectified... One of my fave hotels in Colombia for sure!
Thank for the reply. How did you get the corner suite? Also, did you happen to see the Junior suite? I have a Regency suite and 2 rooms right now. Based on the info on the site I can't tell the difference between the Junior and Regency and if they are equally impressive I don't mind the downgrade. Also, I heard some hotels charge fees for guests, does the Hyatt? I don't understand it, maybe prostitution? But want to make sure I have no issues if any friends want to come up.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:39 am

I am at the hotel now. Have been here a week in a junior suite. We looked at a larger suite offered for 20.00 more an evening and it wasn't worth it to us. We could barely tell the difference. We asked for and got a corner room, junior suite , room number 2102. I spent a week at the Intercontinental before coming here. When we visited the hotel advertised itself as a smoke free facility. IT IS NOT SMOKE FREE and is expanding the smoking areas. I think the hotel is great but the smoking which is now going to be allowed by the adults lap pool ( children are there, shame on the parents) is a no go for me.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fish3d
IT IS NOT SMOKE FREE and is expanding the smoking areas. I think the hotel is great but the smoking which is now going to be allowed by the adults lap pool ( children are there, shame on the parents) is a no go for me.
I'm surprised by this. IME very few Colombians smoke. Perhaps for the European visitors? In any event, thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:31 am

I didn't see any locals smoking. Only US and European. The buffet area where breakfast is served has an attached outside patio. They allow smoking there. So if you want fresh air and view of ocean in the morning it's reserved for the smokers.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately this hotel now seems to be playing games with award space. The standard rooms now appear to be called "Bay View". If you've been here before you'll know that Bay View and Ocean View are the only two possible options, unless there are one or two rooms looking at the parking garage...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Don't know why they won't show a points and cash rate yet they will show a pure points rate. Reading the wiki does it make sense to upgrade to the club level to offset that VAT fee? Is the club level worth paying extra for? It's a $25-$35 per night difference depending on the room I opt for.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Hyatt Regency Cartagena = Strong Hotel in Almost Every Way

Hyatt Regency Cartagena

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Cartagena

Carrera 1 #12-118 Cartagena, CO 130000

Hyatt Regency Cartagena = Strong Hotel in Almost Every Way (24 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Cartagena

I had a 7-night stay at Hyatt Regency Cartagena and the one line summary about this hotel is that in my opinion this property scores high on just about any metric you can think of and I highly recommend it. 

Room

I booked two rooms because my parents were coming along, both rooms at 8k pts per night. This was a bargain and unfortunately Hyatt knew it, so points redemptions are increasing to 12k pts per night this month which might still be a decent deal during high season (January – March) while I would possibly pay cash in other months depending on cash rates.  

For one of the two rooms I used a Globalist suite upgrade award and I let the other reservation as is.  The morning before arriving at the hotel I saw online that the hotel was fully booked for one night in the middle of our stay so I did not expect an upgrade for the second room.  Despite that, we were pleasantly surprised to see that both rooms got upgraded: one room was a suite as expected and the other was upgraded to one of their new apartments on the 40thfloor.  

We were told that apartments have only been available since mid February so we were among the first few to try this room type. We had an apartment facing the harbour. You can access the terrace from the living room or the bedroom and the views from there are great.  The apartment has a full kitchen built to a high standard and is convenient for people on a longer stay.  The entire apartment has nice tile floors – no carpet, which is great.  The bathroom was split in two sections, one for the shower and one for the toilet, each one with its own counter and sink.  Air conditioning was weak in the bedroom when we arrived.  After asking staff to take a look at the AC on day 1 they promptly fixed it and we had a very cool room for the rest of our stay. The apartment can be accessed via the elevators on the right side when approaching from reception; those elevators go straight to higher floors, unlike the elevators on the left which go to the traditional rooms including the lounge on the 30thfloor.  So a minor oddity is that to go from our room on the 40thfloor to the lounge on the 30thfloor, we had to go down to reception (12thfloor), change elevators, and then go back up to the 30thfloor.  On our floor it was clear they were still working on finishing touches to apartments because there was construction work going on and painting in the hallway.  Nothing that was making any noise though and we were not disturbed at any time.

IMG_2407.jpegIMG_2408.jpegIMG_2409.jpegIMG_2410.jpegIMG_2411.jpegIMG_2412.jpegIMG_2413.jpegIMG_2414.jpegIMG_2415.jpeg

The other room we had was a junior suite which was covered by reviews earlier in this thread.  The suite felt larger than the 1-bdr apartment and one advantage was that it has 1.5 bath unlike the apartment which only had one toilet.  

Dining

Thanks to the Globalist Guest of Honor benefit, all guests in both rooms had access to the Regency Club.  The lounge has great views and is an attractive place to spend some time generally speaking.  

IMG_2515.jpegIMG_2516.jpeg

It was my first time in Colombia so I cannot compare the quality of the lounge relative to local competition, but compared to other hotels we have been in South America we were more than happy.  For breakfast there was a wide selection of fruits which was slightly different every morning to avoid repetition, including some fruits which I like and cannot find often in hotel lounges such as mangoes.  They also had scrambled eggs and another hot dish which changed every day, along with several vegetables and cold cuts.  In the evening for happy hour 5-7pm they had lots of healthy vegetables and specialty salads, for example couscous salad, quinoa salad, etc. The vegetables were delicious: some of them grilled, some lightly sprayed with olive oil, dressing, etc.  All options were far more tasty than hotel lounges who offer raw and plain veggies.   They also had a couple of small hot dishes which also changed every day, although I wish it was more than fried stuff.  Also if there is another small negative about the lounge it might be for alcohol drinkers: there was only one red wine from Chile, one white from Colombia, and beer. Nothing else.  Personally I value the quality of the food better and I don’t mind much having limited alcohol choices but I note it here nonetheless for others who are looking for an elaborate bar.

IMG_2416.jpegIMG_2417.jpegIMG_2418.jpegIMG_2452.jpegIMG_2419.jpegIMG_2420.jpegIMG_2421.jpeg

Service

I found service in the hotel to be significantly above average for a hotel of this caliber.  First off they contacted me shortly after I booked to enquire if two rooms was a mistake in case I had made a double booking without realizing it.  I explained that I was not sure yet at that time if I would need one or two rooms: my parents might be coming but my mom has Celiac’s disease and she was hesitant to go to Colombia for this reason – can she be safe with gluten-free food in Cartagena?  The hotel answered back that they had a Nima machine in the hotel kitchen to test the gluten content of food when necessary.  This comforted my mom and my parents decided to go on the trip.  Once on site, staff in the lounge made themselves fully available each morning and evening to help.  They brought gluten-free options prepared in the kitchen to my mom and tested with the machine in front of us so at all times my mom felt safe.  There were a few occasions where the machine indicated food had gluten so staff was apologetic and offered something else, but the important point was that my mom did not get sick as a result.  

Staff in the lounge were friendly and helpful at all times, remembered what guests wanted to drink, etc.  I was also pleased with the hotel shuttle pick-up from the airport which I booked ahead of time.  We were delayed a long time at immigration and I was worried the driver would not have waited, but he was still waiting for us outside baggage claim. 

Gym

We went to the fitness gym and service was equally good there.  Rarely do I find hotel staff serving as trainers in the gym, but this hotel has it. 

IMG_2481.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg

Pool

The swimming pool at the hotel is also excellent.  In fact they have three different pools, not only one.  The one on floor 14 off the gym area is for adults only.  Then on floor 13 is the kids pool, following by the main pool on the 12thfloor.  On that floor there was live music and even dancers on weekends which made the atmosphere great.  There are seating arrangements for all tastes: cabanas in the shadow, lounge chairs in the sun, sit down areas to eat in the sun or shade.  The views from the infinity pools are great and the 12thfloor also has views of the harbor side as well.  

IMG_2446.jpegIMG_2448.jpegIMG_2449.jpegIMG_2450.jpeg

Beach

I do not think Cartagena is the best destination for people looking for top beaches, but for travelers interested in the beach nonetheless, I would note that the public beach is about a 5-minute walk from the Hyatt Regency but it won’t be the highlight of your visit.  Other hotels are better located for the beach, for example there is a beach straight in front of the InterContinental hotel, and Hilton has its own beach at the far end of Bocagrande.  

Overall

Bottom line Hyatt Regency punches above its weight in many respects.  There are very few cities in the world where when returning I would not shop around, but Cartagena would be one of the few for me.  When I walked by the Hilton it seemed quite old unlike the new and shiny HR. There is a hotel from Small Luxury Hotels in the historical town which will join Hyatt soon, but with Globalist benefits at HR I doubt that SLH hotel will interest me much.  For those on a budget, I also saw a few hotels in a lower price range in Bocagrande such as Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn, but the savings when going there are quite modest relative to HR so you should really question whether staying there makes sense.  There is a Conrad in Cartagena, but it is far away from the old town and I much prefer to stay in Bocagrande.  With the generous upgrades at HR, the quality of the service, the excellent Regency Club Lounge, the attractive pool, and new hardware throughout, I would see no reason to consider the competition much and I would return to HR without second thoughts.   

Hyatt Regency Cartagena = Strong Hotel in Almost Every Way

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Cartagena?

No, thank you.
Yes
Colin and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:44 pm

Nice review. My room was nowhere near the level of your room [update: I went back and looked at photos of my room, while it still wasn't as nice or large it was decent and the view was good]. I had lounge access. Honestly wasn't impressed with the service at all with employees basically grunting at me when I asked for something. The food selection I had wasn't near the level that you had apparently. It wasn't a horrible selection but I just found it average. Maybe they have seriously upped their game since I was there several months ago. I had a similar room view as you. The lounge is nice to have a snack in during sunset.

Last edited by Red259; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Glob, Marriot/SPG - Plat, IHG - Plat
Enjoyed 2 very nice stays here around Carnaval. First stay was in a standard room which was still quick comfortable and modern. Final stay for one night was upgraded into a good size suite with separate bedroom and extra half bathroom. Staff was helpful and pleasant, lounge had good breakfast options and free wine/beer for happy hour. Would definitely stay here again.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Honestly wasn't impressed with the service at all with employees basically grunting at me when I asked for something.
I am quite surprised by this. In fact after the first couple of days we hardly had to ask anything to staff because they proactively brought everything to us after they got familiar with our individual preferences: our choice of drinks in the morning, drinks in the evening, gluten-free separate plate, Nima machine, special sauce we asked for from the kitchen, etc.

Also, I had to bring some documents to a local notary one day, and lounge staff called a notary close by and explained what I needed in Spanish so that when I showed up one hour later at the notary they were expecting me and they took care of everything without me having to mutter a word of Spanish. Talk about making my life easier. Great service from the lounge.

Originally Posted by Red259
The food selection I had wasn't near the level that you had apparently. It wasn't a horrible selection but I just found it average.
Well the food in the lounge won't be confused with a full dinner buffet from some lounges in South East Asia, but that comparison would not be fair. I am comparing with other lounges in South America and my opinion was that it was above average in that respect. I am curious how Hilton Cartagena would compare for the lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

Well the food in the lounge won't be confused with a full dinner buffet from some lounges in South East Asia, but that comparison would not be fair. I am comparing with other lounges in South America and my opinion was that it was above average in that respect. I am curious how Hilton Cartagena would compare for the lounge.[/QUOTE]

My observation was based upon looking at the selection you had compared to my recollection. I'm not comparing it to SE Asia. The food selection was not terrible and was miles better than what somebody would find in a US domestic lounge. I guess the options they had when I was there did not appeal as much to me as what they offered you. I only have vague memories of the other lounges visited in Colombia so I would have to think about how this lounge would stack up in comparison. Obviously it won't compare to Asia because some of those lounges are out of this world, but in terms of other South American lounges I would have to think about it. In terms of view this lounge would win out if you like looking out over the water.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
In fairness, I have stayed here before and loved it, but... I decided to book rooms with lounge access this time for my family of 7. 3 rooms. They charge a premium for this, of course, and the lounge is decent with a fabulous view. My specific reason for wanting the lounge, however, is that this hotel does not offer a "mini-fridge" option. While they will empty the mini-bar, it's designed to hold their standard offerings, so it's worthless for the Coca Cola Light (Diet Coke) and water that we like to keep in abundance here because of the heat. I even brought my own cooler to hold the drinks.

Surprise! This hotel has a policy that no beverages can be removed from the lounge. We couldn't take drinks from the lounge to our suite. So much for my well planned birthday weekend. This resulted in us walking in the heat to find a market where we could buy what we want. Not a big expense at all, but an unnecessary convenience.

After several email exchanges, the manager on duty this weekend made an "exception" for us that each of us could remove "one beverage each" from the club. Maybe workable in practice, still a a major inconvenience. For the record, the lounge at the Grand Hyatt in Bogotá provided us a with a bag to carry drinks back to our suite during our February stay, so this appears to property-dependent. We stay in hotels worldwide, and neither my wife nor I can recall a lounge with such a policy.

Later that night, after the email exchanges, they sent a bottle of wine as a "courtesy." Nice touch, I guess, but we don't drink, so I refused it. Would much rather have had the few waters and Coca Cola Light as we had planned.

This, along with some other minor quirks about this hotel, has resulted in our decision to never return here. It's sad to me, as there is much that we like about this hotel. We had been excited about its opening for months before the grand opening, but that has now faded over something that I consider to be a cheap corner-cutting policy that happens to be very important to us.

I spent a couple of thousand dollars for this 3 night stay. They saved a few pesos, and now they'll not benefit from our future, similar bookings. Seems very short-sighted to me. As a residence of Colombia, this is not a great cultural shock, but as a Hyatt Explorist who is well on my way to Globalist this year over disappointment with "Bonvoy" changes as an Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium, it's quite disappointing treatment to receive from a Hyatt Regency. Maybe I'm just starting to learn that the grass will be no greener with Hyatt.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu

Surprise! This hotel has a policy that no beverages can be removed from the lounge. We couldn't take drinks from the lounge to our suite. So much for my well planned birthday weekend. This resulted in us walking in the heat to find a market where we could buy what we want. Not a big expense at all, but an unnecessary convenience.

After several email exchanges, the manager on duty this weekend made an "exception" for us that each of us could remove "one beverage each" from the club. Maybe workable in practice, still a a major inconvenience. For the record, the lounge at the Grand Hyatt in Bogotá provided us a with a bag to carry drinks back to our suite during our February stay, so this appears to property-dependent. We stay in hotels worldwide, and neither my wife nor I can recall a lounge with such a policy.
You really need to adjust your expectations. Most lounges in the world have a policy of "consumption in lounge only".

Go to lounge and grab a Coke and a bottle of water. Not a problem in most places.

Go to lounge and fill up picnic hamper with food and drinks to take back to room. Rare that you don't get caught and stopped. (although I don't doubt that many FTers wouldn't even try out of sheer embarrassment)

FWIW HR Cartagena was also quite generous at the beginning (lounge food, etc.) then it quickly went downhill as management cut costs. I would expect no less from GH Bogota.

You could try Andaz if you want a stocked, free, minibar...
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Surprise! This hotel has a policy that no beverages can be removed from the lounge.

This, along with some other minor quirks about this hotel, has resulted in our decision to never return here.
This policy should not have been a surprise - many hotels have this policy. I walked out of that lounge with a bottle of water in hand on occasion (sometimes it was half empty) and they did not say anything. I would have not attempted to bring lots of bottles out of the lounge because I know most lounges would frown upon that. And if you really cared about refills perhaps you could have gone to the gym?

If water and "minor quirks" is the reason you will not return to this hotel, I wonder which better alternative you would propose in Cartagena.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
FWIW, I tried to leave the lounge with two bottles of water and two Coca Cola Lights. I wasn't trying to "stock up," but we wanted some drinks for later. They close at night (Not sure of the time, but they were closed at 9:15 the night before).

I spend over 100 nights per year in hotels. Before "Bonvoy," I split my loyalty between Marriott and SPG, with an occasional Hilton in the mix. This is the first time that I have ever been stopped when trying to remove a small number of drinks from the lounge.

YMMV, but this has been my personal experience. I wasn't "stocking up on snacks and drinks," and I still think it's ridiculous that couple can't take two beverages each when paying a premium for lounge access. Bash me all you want, but I ain't coming back here. We'll probably move our beach trips to Santa Marta when the new Hilton opens there later this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.