Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cartagena - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Some advice for non-Colombian nationals: The VAT (called IVA in Spanish) will be deducted from your hotel bill ONLY if you book a rate package that includes a meal or some other added-value item.

IVA will be charged by this hotel on room-only or Points + Cash rates. In many instances it is worth booking the "Bed and Breakfast" rate to save the IVA.

Many other hotels in Colombia include breakfast automatically in order to reflect this package-deal requirement.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Cartagena - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I certainly understand the hotel's perspective . . . if they let guests take unopened cans from the lounge, they will literally have Americans lining up with coolers emptying the lounge refrigerator. Especially if there are cans of beer in there. I know we sometimes feel exceptions should be made when "it's just me, and it's a minor exception" but that's a dubious thought process to begin, and as you mention especially unlikely to work in Colombia, where they tend to be sticklers for these sorts of rules. Isn't there a supermarket right around the corner from the HR?
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I certainly understand the hotel's perspective . . . if they let guests take unopened cans from the lounge, they will literally have Americans lining up with coolers emptying the lounge refrigerator. Especially if there are cans of beer in there. I know we sometimes feel exceptions should be made when "it's just me, and it's a minor exception" but that's a dubious thought process to begin, and as you mention especially unlikely to work in Colombia, where they tend to be sticklers for these sorts of rules. Isn't there a supermarket right around the corner from the HR?
There's a supermarket behind the Bocagrande Mall (Bocagrande Square Mall?), which is next to the hotel. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Cartagena last month.

I found the lounge to be enjoyable, with good service from the hotel staff. It never seemed too crowded at breakfast or happy hour times. Other parts of the hotel had uneven service, but overall, I would stay there again. Hotel management seemed willing to try to make up for shortcomings. During my stay, my room's windows needed a good cleaning on the outside, as it was difficult to get a clear view.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:19 pm

They upgraded my paid Junior Suite to Suite at checkin, plus 9AM check-in & the room was ready.
They upgraded my 2nd room paid cheapest room to Suite at check-in and got room at 12N.
And the hotel was fully sold out.
Free bottle of white vino in room plus welcome chocolate treats.
Never had a problem walking out of lounge with a full glass of wine.
Towel card system never enforced - just took the towels I wanted, sometime giving room number, never returning the towels, and no charge on folio.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Bash me all you want, but I ain't coming back here. We'll probably move our beach trips to Santa Marta when the new Hilton opens there later this year.
I think you will do what is best for you and your family and nobody is going to dispute that. The purpose here is not bashing, it's about providing fair and objective information for the benefit of other readers who might have not decided yet if they will stay at HR Cartagena or not.

I have been to very expensive hotels before which were fantastic in many ways and well worth the money, however some of them occasionally make a bonehead decision to charge guests for petty stuff, for example a cappuccino at breakfast. I think it makes no sense at all and I don't like it. However, I return because... well... they are fantastic hotels. I won't deprive myself of all they have to offer because of $5-10 charge for cappuccino that I get for free at lesser hotels. Same for water in the lounge, especially since what they enforced is not all that unusual.

With all that said and done, you might be right that Hilton Santa Marta could be better than HR Cartagena - it will be interesting to compare. More choices is good. I was not aware there was a Hilton under construction there so thank you for bringing it up. ^
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Are there any updates on how VAT is handled on hotel bills? I stayed at this hotel in the past on all points, but this time will be paying for 3 nights. On other booking websites they don't include the VAT, but on hyatt.com it is included. I have read online that hotels should waive the tax for non-Colombians. Is that true?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:05 pm

at checkin a few months ago on a typical corporate rate, the front desk agent unprompted said she was waiving VAT and then collected payment via credit card charge for the full stay. not doing just an authorization at checkin was unusual, but it worked out just fine.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Surprise! This hotel has a policy that no beverages can be removed from the lounge. We couldn't take drinks from the lounge to our suite. So much for my well planned birthday weekend. This resulted in us walking in the heat to find a market where we could buy what we want. Not a big expense at all, but an unnecessary convenience.
I stayed at this property the first week of April with my wife and kids, and there is large grocery store right behind the hotel. You're literally inside the store less than two minutes after walking out of the hotel's main doors. I also didn't like the policy of not being allowed to take beverages out of the lounge (which I asked about before deciding whether or not to upgrade), so I decided to just keep my regular room instead.

Overall, the hotel was a great place for my family and I. We enjoyed everything about our stay, we enjoyed the heat of Cartagena (we knew it was going to be hot), and we'd definitely stay at the Hyatt again.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:42 am

Anybody been here recently know if they've switched to bulk shampoo/conditioner?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Here's a short video from my stay on property back in October. I thought the club lounge was great, and the views from this hotel are some of the best at any Hyatt in the world, in my opinion.

Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
I thought the club lounge was great
Beautiful views and the hotel looks great. Does the club lounge have similar views to what you show from the pool / your suite?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, it looks similar, just a lower floor. Photo from club:

River in Sight likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent trip reports from this property during COVID-19? We're planning a 7 nights stay in Jan and were wondering what the experience is like at the moment in light of the "limited services":

"LIMITED SERVICES - Spa, Food services, Fitness center, Pool, Regency Club, Kids Club."

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Any recent trip reports from this property during COVID-19? We're planning a 7 nights stay in Jan and were wondering what the experience is like at the moment in light of the "limited services":

"LIMITED SERVICES - Spa, Food services, Fitness center, Pool, Regency Club, Kids Club."

Thanks!
Did you end up staying here? If so, how was your trip?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did you end up staying here? If so, how was your trip?
The question was not addressed at me. Let me reply anyhow.

I recently stayed there. The stay was quite short (due to me arriving almost 36h later than planned) so I could not check out spa and pool. The pool was open though, I was told.

As for the club: Closed in the morning, guests were directed to have breakfast at the main restaurant. Breakfast was a la carte only, your ordered from the menu which you pulled up on your smartphone after scanning a QR code on the table (as is fairly common these days).
In the afternoon, they opened the club for two hours. There was a fairly small, serviced buffet. Nothing to write home about. Wine, beer, soft drinks. Roughly four or five salad bar items and a small variety of sandwiches each day.

Occupancy was quite low everywhere. Social distancing was not a problem. I think the hotel hardware, including the rooms, are quite nice for this type of property and hotel category. F&B and the service were a bit unremarkable. No complaints, though. Or, if I was looking for skeletons in the closet specifically, I might remember that they did not upgrade me as an explorist.
unclepants and washeelers747 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:09 am

For explorists who use a club access award to upgrade, do we get breakfast in the club? I saw a review outside of FT that said breakfast in the club lounge was for globalists only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.