Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: griffingrowl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Yes the children are a bit loud.. In the common areas at dinner at tapa was a bit annoying.. However Tapa was much much better than Asia.. Night and Day..

Have not tried room service (infact tried to get dessert in room and they claimed to not get the order). I suspect this just is growing pains as the property seems great.. How long are you on property? PM me if you want to grab a glass of wine.

Originally Posted by price123
We are also here at the moment. Some great things, some less good. Very happy that the room was ready after we arrived way before check-in (flight landed at Palma at 7.30 am, we hired from Hertz at around 35 euro/day and arrived around 9.30) and that late check-out was no problem until 6 pm. Note that it is difficult to find the hotel - no signs from the road, but if you see something that looks like the hotel, it probably is!

Rooms are nice, great view, very good size, nice toiletries (Bottega Veneta). Service at breakfast has been hit or miss and room service only ok. However, great personal service today when we had a medical issue. Staff at reception could not do enough to help and the spa was also wonderful, very flexible.

As a couple looking for a quiet weekend away, there are a few too many noisy children. At times it has been too loud to sit outside on the balcony and it is intrusive at breakfast - it would be great if the hotel had an informal separation between families and couples.

I could not recommend paying full price here at present - the service is not really up to Park Hyatt standards. However, on cash and points it is a steal and I am sure that confidence will grow and by next year, the small issues will be ironed out. In our opinion, this has the opportunity to become the flagship European Hyatt.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
This property is finally showing Cash and Points redemption options online ^
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
I always found that asking for a manager goes a long way. Your there you have minor issues- let them know your a diamond and a blogger- tweet to @HyattConcierge and ask them to have the manager reach out to you, watch the service increase, and if it doesn't don't give it a good review. It shouldn't matter if you are paying for a night or on points your a customer.

We did this with the Hyatt in Puket when it first opened, every issue everyone else had was fixed, the manager showed me the whole resort personally and in turn I posted a lot of pictures for them and gave a great review. Yes its Spain and not Asia but I am sure if they are not recognizing your status they may not be used to it yet. I did this at the PH Vendome and they emailed the other locations in Zurich and Milan and it was amazing.

BTW will be there in less than 10 days. I did a points - points and money and so on 3 different reservations- @HyattConcierge did the full booking via twiter and a DSU. Emailed the resort and they already acknowledged the diamond status and said we were in one room for the 8 days.

Any issues at a Hyatt anywhere and @HyattConcierge will get you a manager in minutes.

Looking forward to your suggestions on out in town eating. Breakfast will be there but there is so much out on the island to explore.

One quick question- who did they use for a car rental and were the prices similar. Thinking of just getting it at the airport. Haven't been to Mallorca since 1994 when I was in the Navy.

Originally Posted by footastic
First impression is WOW. What a view and property.

Im lazy so I used a cab - and have had the hotel arrange a day rental here. Cost was about 90 Euro each way and took an hour.

Overall great hotel.. Brand new so the rooms are perfect.

Few service issues here and there .. Check in took far too long (about 45 minutes). Food is just okay at Asia. Trying TAPA tonight. Bell boys are nice and go drop you off at the beach (5min) if you request.

One item that is lacking is Diamond Recognition. Outside of late checkout nothing was offered (offered us pralines as a amenity). Also was not upgraded to best available room just a single cat bump from booked room.

It would be great if they let you take room service breakfast and or offered a cocktail / wine hour.

I have a suite booked for the remainder of stay so I will see how the suites are!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
As a couple looking for a quiet weekend away, there are a few too many noisy children. At times it has been too loud to sit outside on the balcony and it is intrusive at breakfast - it would be great if the hotel had an informal separation between families and couples.
You are in luck, on your next visit to Mallorca there are a couple of high end places that don't allow lower than teen age children. There are really nice villa rentals too. They don't however have cash and points rates like the Hyatt. Having taken my kids to a good number of Park Hyatts, I can venture to say that you probably wont find the "informal separation" you desire at the brand. It's actually one of the more family friendly brands in my experiences and this property in particular is likely have a number of families at any given time during the summer season.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by stephem
You are in luck, on your next visit to Mallorca there are a couple of high end places that don't allow lower than teen age children. There are really nice villa rentals too. They don't however have cash and points rates like the Hyatt. Having taken my kids to a good number of Park Hyatts, I can venture to say that you probably wont find the "informal separation" you desire at the brand. It's actually one of the more family friendly brands in my experiences and this property in particular is likely have a number of families at any given time during the summer season.
Perhaps more friendly than other brands, but have not seen so many families at other Park Hyatts in Europe or Asia. And definitely not so many loud ones. Maybe because it is a resort, parents are more happy to let kids play noisily.

With regards to asking for a manager, I don't think this is necessary. As we knew the previous GM quite well, we had been in contact. It is a little concerning how different service at breakfast was on the first vs second day (we were not expected for breakfast on the first day). It should be top service for all guests, but agree that this is likely growing pains - it is a new hotel with a new GM. I expect in 6 months, it will be a different story.

Also, very much looking forward to when the building work finishes - the owner is creating a landscaped park and club house nearby. At present, there is no noise but the view is somewhat spoilt - it will be greatly enhanced by the park.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Perhaps more friendly than other brands, but have not seen so many families at other Park Hyatts in Europe or Asia. And definitely not so many loud ones. Maybe because it is a resort, parents are more happy to let kids play noisily.
Yes. I will say last night the children in the courtyard were playing ball next to Tapa and it was very annoying and at one time the ball almost hit my head. The Manager of the restaurant saw this and spoke with the children's parents, however while the ball playing stopped following this talk the screaming, running children did not until close to 10pm. That said I suspect this will be the case during the high season at this property as it seems like a very popular destination for families. Maybe when the garden area is completed there will be more common areas for kids to play? Also as quiet as the room was the first day it sounds like some loud kids moved in last night even with the thick well insulated walls and windows we heard yelling and loud playing noises till about 12:30AM. If I wasn't jetlagged and wide awake I would likely have been upset about this.

I did speak to Michael the GM (previously andaz Costa Rica) via email. Attempting to secure one of the the presidential-suites for the nights that we upgraded on DSU. It appears both are vacant and the private jacuzzi sounds great as due to all the families the pool area. I was quoted rack rate on the upgrade so I won't be doing this. It would be great to see how it stacks up. I know that most properties have a rate for upgrade to the next category for award stays - it appears theses rates have yet to be established for suites on this property.

We move today to the DSU room so we will see how that is. Maybe we will get lucky and get a further bump but I'm doubtful.

On the food front Tapa was significantly better both in quality and service than Asia. The ham selection is great the 48+ month hams are incredible. For the quality and service price is very reasonable considering this will be the restaurant hoping to receive a michelin star. Management at Tapa is top notch and it shows. While at Asia we were only checked on half way through mains we were checked on by several people at every course and they were able to find the kettle one for my pre meal martini I was shocked that the price was so comparable to Asia as we actually were quite disappointed with the quality of meats used at Asia.

Just to clarify I'm not saying the diamond experience here is bad just not special as common things for PH like room service breakfast are not included and since everyone gets breakfast for now this seems like a no brainer to free up space!
Go above and beyond for the loyal lot of guests to make more room for everyone else

Also get euros before heading to this side of the island. Most towns on the east have a single ATM and the beach near by the hotel has had the only ATM out for over 4 days according to a few people we asked on the street. The resort does not have one. They will let you get euros charged too the room at a 6% rate but this is not ideal and limited to 250€

Last edited by footastic; Aug 7, 2016 at 12:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It would be great if they let you take room service breakfast and or offered a cocktail / wine hour.
Feeling a bit greedy are we :-). Breakfast is included in the rates, room service for free is a benefit that few properties have, the same with free cocktails at a PH.

If they would include additional benefits the rates would simply be higher for all....
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ehh. Not so much out side of Aviara (PH lite IMO) I have not been to a PH that does not offer something special. At the 850€ price point it I doubt it would significantly impact prices especially considering the number of diamonds in the program.

PH Vendome, Milan ,Sydney , Buenos Aires, Beijing and Vienna consistently offers me at least 2 free drink tickets per night for my stay as a unknown benefit (granted I have 10+ stays at all but Vienna.) Tokyo as a great reception for diamonds. Having stayed about 40 nights this year at PH this is the first that didn't offer a perk for drinks or in room breakfast for diamonds. The rate at all of these is consistently less than the rate here.

It is nice room service has no service fees but at these standard rates it's shocking to have no additional perks. Maybe I'm just over entitled!

Don't get me wrong great property but as a diamond I don't feel any visible perks outside of a single cat upgrade. I suspect much will change as they make adjustments after being open more than 2 months.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Feeling a bit greedy are we :-). Breakfast is included in the rates, room service for free is a benefit that few properties have, the same with free cocktails at a PH.

If they would include additional benefits the rates would simply be higher for all....

Last edited by footastic; Aug 7, 2016 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I agree PH are family friendly. Typically I see a handful at my stays. Never have had any issues in the past. However since this is a resort area the majority of guests have young children. It seems like close to 60% of the guests have young children that are very loud. Today at breakfast I had juice spilt on me due to a kid running into a waiter. I don't think it would be terrible if they had a adult only area / restaurant to avoid this.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I agree PH are family friendly. Typically I see a handful at my stays. Never have had any issues in the past. However since this is a resort area the majority of guests have young children. It seems like close to 60% of the guests have young children that are very loud. Today at breakfast I had juice spilt on me due to a kid running into a waiter. I don't think it would be terrible if they had a adult only area / restaurant to avoid this.
Sorry, but you want a Presidential Suite for a DSU and free room service, and you want a separate dining area to insulate you from families? I don't think the question is whether it "would be terrible," it's whether the idea makes any sense at a property where they are attracting big spending families. We chatted up a number of the families there and realized we were the cheapos on P+C, these others were paying cash for 2 rooms. If you really want peace and quiet in Mallorca, there are some places that don't allow small children... but the rates are eye-popping. You could also splash out for the Presidential Suite and room service and solve the problem for yourself.

We spend a few weeks a year at PHs, maybe my kids aren't as loud as the ones you experienced, but given the family friendly culture I think the chances of a PH creating such areas is lower than the odds of you getting the Presidential Suite as a DSU upgrade.

BTW- we had no problem finding ATMs on this side of Mallorca. A walk along the main drag in Arta reveals a few. There is a also a good supermarket in Arta.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry, but you want a Presidential Suite for a DSU and free room service, and you want a separate dining area to insulate you from families? I don't think the question is whether it "would be terrible," it's whether the idea makes any sense at a property where they are attracting big spending families. We chatted up a number of the families there and realized we were the cheapos on P+C, these others were paying cash for 2 rooms. If you really want peace and quiet in Mallorca, there are some places that don't allow small children... but the rates are eye-popping. You could also splash out for the Presidential Suite and room service and solve the problem for yourself.

We spend a few weeks a year at PHs, maybe my kids aren't as loud as the ones you experienced, but given the family friendly culture I think the chances of a PH creating such areas is lower than the odds of you getting the Presidential Suite as a DSU upgrade.

BTW- we had no problem finding ATMs on this side of Mallorca. A walk along the main drag in Arta reveals a few. There is a also a good supermarket in Arta.
Yes many Europeans are here for long weekends with adjoining rooms. I actually think extending room service breakfast to elites would eliminate some service issues down at breakfast as has been the experience at many resort Hyatt locations. It looks like many of these "big spenders" are here on package discounts dropping the price significantly at least from what I'm being told by the folks I've chatted with either they are here for 2 nights or they have gotten a significant discount booking the hotel and flight together. One couple mentioned it was about 20% cheaper this week than the Iberostar and the rate here included breakfast.

As for the ATMs it's odd. Just walked thru Arta today. Appears that it's a bank issue as 2 ATMs were out. The only ATM in Canyamel was still out today. We drove down to Porto Christo (about 20km) today and were able to use ATMs here without an issue.

I was upgraded to a presidential today (P&C one night, cash one night , award stay 3 nights plus DSU only upgraded last 3 nights) and it is quite nice. It seems very sterile for a 3200 euro / nt room. Almost like a high end penthouse in Mexico there is a few pieces of furniture on a tile floor. Not warm feeling really. In speaking with Pedro (the room manager as GM is away) today at lunch he mentioned that they intend on breaking the spa/delux rooms from the other side as the spa side should be more intimate. This is odd as all suites as far as I can tell are on the east side of the lobby which would put them in the family zone.However it looks like the standard suite is almost just a delux of room with a door between the sofa/living area and the bedroom. Not sure how many are full suites with two bathrooms and loads of space. Maybe 2-4.

Additionally he mentioned that they may be repurposing the library area to a bar. I think this would be great as the main bar in tapa is tiny. Tapa may be an adult only on the side tward the pool making the area between Asia and tapa more family friendly. This would eliminate the issues from last night. It sounds like much of the issues here will be resolved quickly as management has observed the issues me tionened. The goal is for the resort to be "intimate" with the pool setup and restaurant setup this seems relatively simple. I suspect this will occur soon without being publicly known. Allowing couples a romantic feel while catering too families as well. I feel this is correct as guests may be with children seeking a family trip or with a significant other seeking a romantic get away the property is great for both if they can implement this.

It sounds like your a bit hostile. I didn't mean to offend if your on property with children. However If a room is available online why not ask about it? So far if I'm in the correct tier (standard room versus suite) I'm not rejected? It's pretty common for me to get assigned a suite upon arrival without any formal mechanism. Since most DSUs book you into a base suite room, why not ask for that executive or amabasor or presidential suite if it's available? The worst that can happen is a no and in my experience if you ask and it's available it's yours.

Are you a diamond / match diamond? I heard rumors of some levels (7 levels of diamond / courtesy card) internally to the diamond program after the SPG match fiasco. Maybe my experience differs than you due to the amount of nights at PH brand? Or perhaps its spend at Hyatt (at 62 nights and close to 35k this year)

If I apply a DSU management normally reaches out to confirm room type. I just assumed that was standard (only been Hyatt as primary now 4 years). If I really want a specific type I can request and occasionally can confirm it with additional cost o sometime the hotel just confirms it.
Most of the time a DSU results in best room available within the suite class (outside of Andaz 5th where splash is my favorite suite and location kicks PHNY's ....). If not asked prior to arrival I always ask for whatever room I would prefer and i typically get this room.

Overall the suite I was assigned is quite lovely it would be great if they used warmer products for flooring in the living area. Nothing compaired to the presidential suite at PHT or the ambassador (never have gotten presidential) at PHV, but still very nice.

I can't figure out why they have an ice bucket with no public ice machines and they do not fill at turndown.

The bartender at Tapa is great. I've spoken to him before at Churchill in London. It appears he transferred here about 6 weeks ago. If your here drop by and have him make you a whiskey sour.

As someone mentioned before I also believe with a few minor changes this location could be flagship for Europe PH and I feel like they are really putting effort into addressing concerns which is great! The hard product isn't up to the quality of PH Vienna but it's view and location is great. This is going to be a great award / P&C location.

Last edited by footastic; Aug 7, 2016 at 5:54 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It is nice room service has no service fees but at these standard rates it's shocking to have no additional perks. Maybe I'm just over entitled!
I'm afraid to say your posts sure read that way.... P+C + DSU at this property is a tremendous deal compared to what they charge, why demand additional benefits?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RTW1
I'm afraid to say your posts sure read that way.... P+C + DSU at this property is a tremendous deal compared to what they charge, why demand additional benefits?
I'm not demanding. Just commenting on common benifits from other properties. Management seems all ears as they have been open 8 weeks and have actually asked for feedback due to being so new. As I originally mentioned this is one of 2 minor issues on property. Everything else is lovely and I agree at 20k points or P&C it's a steal during peak season.

When PH Vienna opened it was easy to get 7 days C&P with a DSU upgrade (also an incredible value) and they offered room service and 2 free drinks a night. While cash and points is more limited now my last stay had the same two perks offered in May.

Today is a perfect example of my issue with capacity at breakfast. There is not a ton of seating for guests here at breakfast combined with large families. Which would typically be fine but for vacationers meals last much longer.

I Arriving 45 min before the end of service and was told the wait exceeded the duration remaing on breakfast. Hate to be rude but if they are including breakfast for all rates they need to add capacity. In my mind not having capacity is on par with not offering the guarenteed breakfast benifit. This has been the issue since day one. If they pull it from the standard rate soon it's not an issue. An easy way to add capacity is offer additional perks to elites. Very low cost to implement. Versus opening another restaurant for breakfast. This is what some would call a win win.

The lowest PH on points I've stayed at (chennai was cat2 at the time I believe) ordered in room breakfast for my stay and they took it off my bill as my breakfast amenity. On a points only rate for 2 nights. So I just don't think the logic works.

The entire reason this is a low cat PH is the construction it is an eyesore and loud at times. I bet we see a bump by one or two cats by next spring for high season if they stay on track with the adjacent construction. I feel that your assumption that this request which would only affect diamonds (maybe are 5-10% of the guest population) is incorrect. The coming cat bumps here will be related to construction being completed.

The buffet is great here and I suspect if it's not packed most people would opt for this option over room service.

Again my perpsective may be totally different than most here as I have practically been living in hotels the last couple of years.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

An easy way to add capacity is offer additional perks to elites. Very low cost to implement. Versus opening another restaurant for breakfast. This is what some would call a win win.
Staying at hotels is not exactly the same as running one :-). I've seen costs calculations for some properties and costs for room service are higher than you might think, especially at a property where there is little regular demand (and I bet this property is one). It requires a lot of staff to keep wait times reasonable at peak times. So offering it for free is not something a property does lightly, especially since they get no compensation for it. Did you ask is there was an upcharge for room service since breakfast is included?

And you are staying at a new property at peak time for a steal.... some things not running so smoothly is to be expected.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 8, 2016 at 5:56 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:53 am

I was upgraded to a presidential today (P&C one night, cash one night , award stay 3 nights plus DSU only upgraded last 3 nights) and it is quite nice.
If you could take some photos of the presidential suite and post, I'm sure we'd all like to see it!

However it looks like the standard suite is almost just a delux of room with a door between the sofa/living area and the bedroom. Not sure how many are full suites with two bathrooms and loads of space. Maybe 2-4.
I don't think I understand this. They mention 16 suites on the website, 2 of which I believe are the presidential suites. The other 14 are Park Suites that are twice the size of a normal room (1,000+ Sq. Ft). The Park Suites are the standard suites, so I think what you're describing may just be a regular non-suite room. What am I missing?

Today is a perfect example of my issue with capacity at breakfast. There is not a ton of seating for guests here at breakfast combined with large families. Which would typically be fine but for vacationers meals last much longer.

I Arriving 45 min before the end of service and was told the wait exceeded the duration remaing on breakfast.
I think it is totally reasonable to expect to be able to come down and eat breakfast at a resort of this price and supposed caliber without having to wait 45 minutes and worrying about it closing before you get sat. They need to rectify that problem ASAP, assuming your experience wasn't some one-off and atypical event.

Just curious, what region are most of the other hotel guests from? I'm wondering when the issues with being overrun by ill-behaved children may subside due to the start of the school year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.