Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: griffingrowl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:20 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Park Hyatt Mallorca to leave the Hyatt chain

Park Hyatt Mallorca to leave the Hyatt chain That's very sad.

as per this report, the hotel will be self-managed under the owners own brand "Cap Vermell" as of March 2021. That is the date when the PH was intended to re-open as per the website.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...capdepera.html

The American Hotel chain Hyatt has left the Management of the Park Hyatt Mallorca Hotel complex in Canyamel, in Capdepera, because in recent years the objective of having facilities open at full capacity all year round were not being met.

It is bad news for Majorca, mainly because we have lost a worldwide hotel reference. The decision of the American hotel group was motivated by the fact that the Island had lost connectivity during recent winters, which affected Marketing and Management goals,” said Cap Vermell Group Administrator & CEO, Antoni Mir. “Hyatt's departure means we lost a trademark, but not the hotel, the resort will now be managed under our Cap Vermell brand, so we can guarantee about 210 jobs in maximum operational activity, of which 85 are fixed."

According to Mir, the last customer at the Park Hyatt Mallorca Hotel left on March 15 and since then the establishment has been closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“Our goal is to reopen it under our own management in March 2021,” he said.

Investment

The Park Hyatt Mallorca Hotel has 142 rooms, 14 of them are suites and two are Presidential. It also has a large spa and four restaurants and is highly popular with German and British tourists.

The construction of the hotel complex involved an outlay of more than one hundred million euros, which was entirely financed by a Qatari investment fund.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 30, 2020 at 3:33 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Really wanted to try this out under the Hyatt brand.

Last edited by onlysuites; Jul 30, 2020 at 5:27 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I had a great stay there, sad to see it go. Physical property was fabulous, and had some great food there. Not the best location on the island but driving wasn't hard.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:29 pm

I'm so sad to see this go. I was there last year and I had a wonderful time. The property, service, my room, food, everything was great. I'm glad I had a chance to visit.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:41 pm

Was scheduled to stay there this September. Real disappointment i never got to stay.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Man so sad to see this. Had a 5 day stay booked that cancelled. Ugh
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I’ve never heard of a hotel management company voluntarily giving up a brand location. Could this be lost in translation? What would Park Hyatt have to lose by continuing to manage a property? Is it possible the hotel owner wanted certain concessions, Hyatt refused, the hotel went into breach of contract, and Hyatt pulled out? This story never added up for me and at the time I didn’t question it because the world was upside down.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
What would Park Hyatt have to lose by continuing to manage a property?
The location of this hotel means that it definitely should not open year round. At best, it opens from Easter until the end of October. (6 or 7 months)

That means laying off your staff every year, with the best ones probably preferring to work at a year-round hotel or simply finding a more reliable job. So you end up managing a hotel where the staff are being trained up from scratch every summer, which then leads clients to complain that the service doesn't reach Park Hyatt standards.

Of course things could be lost in translation, with Hyatt insisting on certain standards that the hotel owner couldn't make work for a hotel only open 6 months per year... Or that the Hyatt brand simply didn't bring enough direct booked, premium business to the hotel, especially when considering how many people might have simply been burning points instead of paying €€€.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by craigthemif
That means laying off your staff every year, with the best ones probably preferring to work at a year-round hotel or simply finding a more reliable job. So you end up managing a hotel where the staff are being trained up from scratch every summer, which then leads clients to complain that the service doesn't reach Park Hyatt standards.
I’ve stayed here both as PH and a few times thereafter under its new branding and talked to a number of employees. They are mostly all very long times employees. They typically find other things to do (other jobs) or just travel or relax for the slow season. The service under the new branding is terrific, fine, no issue.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Thinking more about this. My guess? Not much synergy from Hyatt platform. This is the “far side” of Mallorca mostly German tourists and wealthy Spaniards. I recall one time here when courtesy card, they for sure knew who we were. GM was spending a lot of time in the courtyard of the village at drinks hour welcoming and chatting. Seemed to know many people well. Never approached us (very unusual as most often courtesy card will be sought after by the GM to greet). He talked to guests for a few hours as we had evening drinks. I think they have a very regular, very non-US (even for Europe) and very dedicated set of guests who they coddle and just were not getting tailwinds from Hyatt. I’ve been here 4 times, always my perception. My guess on this particular one.

Great place that said. Great service including under new branding. Who cares about GM greeting in the end…
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The location of this hotel means that it definitely should not open year round. At best, it opens from Easter until the end of October. (6 or 7 months)

Of course things could be lost in translation, with Hyatt insisting on certain standards that the hotel owner couldn't make work for a hotel only open 6 months per year... Or that the Hyatt brand simply didn't bring enough direct booked, premium business to the hotel, especially when considering how many people might have simply been burning points instead of paying €€€.
Hotel: We need to operate seasonally.
Hyatt: No other Hyatt in the world operates seasonally. This is a violation of the contract and puts you in breach.
Hotel: We will operate seasonally.
Hyatt: You are in breach of contract. Deflag, please.
Media: HYATT WALKS AWAY FROM MALLORCA.

This story (and the media oops — this wasn't exactly reporting from the WSJ) makes way more sense.

Ultimately, the Hyatt brand is a projection of soft American power and there just aren't many Americans or USA-adjacent folks who fly a connecting flight to Europe, go to a summer island, rent a car, and drive to the other side of the island to a remote area. For all that effort there are a dozen easier places to get to. And I adore Spain!

It was a nice idea but ultimately the Park Hyatt brand has its limits and it can't be plopped into every balneario in the Spanish language world.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
Hotel: We need to operate seasonally.
Hyatt: No other Hyatt in the world operates seasonally. This is a violation of the contract and puts you in breach.
Hotel: We will operate seasonally.
Hyatt: You are in breach of contract. Deflag, please.
Media: HYATT WALKS AWAY FROM MALLORCA.

This story (and the media oops — this wasn't exactly reporting from the WSJ) makes way more sense.

Ultimately, the Hyatt brand is a projection of soft American power and there just aren't many Americans or USA-adjacent folks who fly a connecting flight to Europe, go to a summer island, rent a car, and drive to the other side of the island to a remote area. For all that effort there are a dozen easier places to get to. And I adore Spain!

It was a nice idea but ultimately the Park Hyatt brand has its limits and it can't be plopped into every balneario in the Spanish language world.
That's certainly plausible, although Hyatt now has the all-inclusive brands - many of which in Europe do indeed operate seasonally. Although anecdotal, I've stayed at several of the Mallorca hotels, and it's only the year-round ones (and the Secrets) that even know what a Globalist is. The seasonal hotels clearly mostly deal with package holiday guests.

No matter filed for "divorce", it should be fairly obvious that wealthy Europeans are less brand sensitive when they want refined service - and they will return over and over to a hotel that meets their expectations. It's the one-stay-per-hotel-in-a-lifetime North American guests who rely on branding as a guide to quality and, as you say, there weren't enough of those who made the substantial effort to get to this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.