Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jpdx
Glob breakfast was daily buffet -- priced at $24 pp, but really a rather limited affair: three hot containers with scrambled eggs, bacon/Portuguese sausage/breakfast links, and potatoes, a plate with pancakes and bread pudding, plus three pastries, some cereal, and four types of fruit. No bread, cold cuts, miso soup, salad -- many European and Asian visitors would probably be happier with the club at the HR. We asked whether we could order off the menu (which has some delicious sounding items listed), but were told no. Also, apparently Globs are allowed either coffee or juice, but not both. And only the basic juices, not the specialty ones.
WoH T&C:

Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee
Is it just my imagination, or is the count of properties gaming the breakfast amenity getting worse and worse?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
WoH T&C:

Is it just my imagination, or is the count of properties gaming the breakfast amenity getting worse and worse?
Yup. Room service breakfast is going the way of the dinosaurs now.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Aventine
Yup. Room service breakfast is going the way of the dinosaurs now.
What does this have to do with anything on this thread? I wouldn't expect free room service breakfast at any Hyatt apart from the handful of places who choose to make this benefit available.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:32 pm

has anyone been able to book p&c here? i'm looking throughout the year and even into next year, and all i see are points only, no p&c.

what is the suite that the tsu books into?

for the ones that have stayed at the hr and here, which did you like better? why? i'm trying to choose between the two. thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
for the ones that have stayed at the hr and here, which did you like better? why? i'm trying to choose between the two. thanks.
I believe the DSU suite is a city view. The building has a bit of a strange shape, and from the floor plan it looked like there were more city/mountain view rooms than ocean view. Take a look at my recent review (post 60) -- we got an ocean view suite without using DSU, so I'd assume that they happily provide a further upgrade from the DSU suite if available.

As for the Centric vs HR question, they both have their pros and cons. The main downside of the Centric is the lack of lanais (and windows don't open), and it's at a significant distance from the ocean, lacks a club and gives Globs a fairly weak breakfast. The HR, of course, has a fairly good club, and you will usually receive an upgrade to an oceanfront room. In Waikiki, I usually choose based on price -- Westin, Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, and the HR are all interchangeable to some extent. In recent months, I've seen the Centric at great opening rates in the $160 range (vs the HR at $280) -- at that difference, I'd pick the Centric in a heartbeat. On points or P&C (where the hotels cost the same), I'd pick the HR.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:07 pm

thanks for your quick response jpdx! i have a p&c booking at hr right now. there is only points availability at centric. i would prefer p&c for night credit.

i've stayed at hr before so i know what to expect in terms of oceanview room and club food. the rates are ridiculous for the dates i need - $350-$400ish for both the hr and centric. i don't know why it's so much.

i was hoping to check out the centric and also check out a new hotel at the same time, but i'm not sure if that will happen at the current rates.

so money aside, it sounds like you prefer the hr over centric.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:42 pm

so money aside, it sounds like you prefer the hr over centric.
I don't really have a strong preference in Waikiki. I was excited to try the Centric, and it has a lot going for it -- new, appealing spaces, great staff. If it was a city hotel located somewhere on the mainland, it'd be a winner. In Hawaii, I want a lanai, and I want to be able to open the windows and see/hear the ocean. That's not an option at the Centric.

I expect to be back at the Centric a few times in the next few years -- I would expect rates there to remain relatively lower, and if the difference is >$50/nt, it's a strong contender. If rates are the same, or on P&C/points, I'd pick the HR.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:33 am

Man rates here have been plummeting. If you have an upcoming reservation I would check it again. I made a reservation for October back a few months ago and it was about 240 a night. Last week I checked and it the same dates were 195 so I rebooked. I checked again yesterday and it was 176 so I rebooked again.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:54 pm

Here now. Breakfast buffet is $28/pp. It now includes miso soup and rice.

Last edited by fangtl; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:18 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Here now. Breakfast buffet is now $28/pp. It now includes miso soup and rice.
How's the quality of the buffet otherwise? Is that what Globalists get or can we also order from the menu?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:17 am

Buffet is decent quality but doesn't change. It's the same 4 hot items, rotating pastries, and varying fruits. You can get toast, and eggs cooked your way if you don't want scrambled. I have ordered off the menu before and had it waived, but was told that was a courtesy and that the globalist benefit is only for the buffet, even though it's actually less expensive if ordering off the menu.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire elite, Marriott Gold
Had stayed at Centric, the cash rate was under 180 a night so an excellent price.

It was not very crowded at all. Upsides
-new building, very modern rooms
-looks and feels upscale, some staff are nice

downside:
-there is a resort fee(waived for globalist) the pool is shallow and you don't really get much for that resort fee
-some staff are not very nice, I wonder if some of them feels it's unfair how much the rate has dropped, it's sad because Hyatt Place is priced just about $10 less, and having stayed there as well it's very much a downgrade That said Hyatt Place was strong point redemption value with free breakfast, therefore it's happening and crowded, bar makes good $$ selling $10 a pop cocktails during the afternoon. The centric does not look happening at all restaurant wise.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:30 pm

So odd, I see a lot of posts in this thread with rates under $200. I'm looking at dates for mid 2018 (not during peak time) and it's consistently $400+ and no points + cash.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

So odd, I see a lot of posts in this thread with rates under $200. I'm looking at dates for mid 2018 (not during peak time) and it's consistently $400+ and no points + cash.
Obviously this is coming a year later but I'm seeing cash rates of $500+ for June 2019. So yea, obviously points make a ton of sense here.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Obviously this is coming a year later but I'm seeing cash rates of $500+ for June 2019. So yea, obviously points make a ton of sense here.
Hi - thanks! I am back from my trip already. The rates ended up dropping to mid $200 range for mid May so I just paid cash. The breakfast was horrible though. Worse than a HP/HH. I'm not sure if I'd stay there again. My experience at the HR was much better. mostly due to the lounge and better breakfast. The suite that you get with the TSU is also not worth it in my opinion. The living area is a small tiny room in the back. When you enter, you enter the sleeping area. It also felt like a waste of a TSU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.