Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 14, 22, 10:55 pm
  #331  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SJC/BUR
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by bcosinteno View Post
Both are managed by Hyatt (not franchises). Hyatt is actively trying to come up with a solution for the lack of food & beverage at the Centric. We've recently had discussions with several leaders about the breakfast situation at Waikiki Centric (pertaining to Privť) who have blamed it on an ongoing union issue. I know Hyatt just promoted a senior member of management at Andaz Maui to become the new GM of the Hyatt Centric Waikiki, so we shall see.
Cheers to this property for perpetually blocking Hyatt point redemptions even when it has been consistently empty. Maybe it can be fixed by leadership imported from *checks notes* the Andaz Maui.
kyushuman and Kacee like this.
stvr is online now  
Old Apr 16, 22, 10:43 am
  #332  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Posts: 4,306
Originally Posted by stvr View Post
It's a union thing.
That's not what multiple workers told us last fall when we stayed there. Specifically, they said management didn't want to make it back into a restaurant.

"It's a union thing" to me means that management has asked staff to do things that are not in the contract that *checks notes* the MANAGEMENT signed on to.

But really, I doubt that the hotel workers' union decided to make the "WFH" office space permanent.
Or, (crazy idea here) management doesn't want to pay living wages for restaurant employees when the loss-leader restaurant is on the second floor of a hotel with no view.
So, I agree: It's a management thing.
mcgahat, AJchang and Kacee like this.
kyushuman is online now  
Old Apr 16, 22, 11:55 am
  #333  
168
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by bcosinteno View Post
Both are managed by Hyatt (not franchises). Hyatt is actively trying to come up with a solution for the lack of food & beverage at the Centric.
$25 food credit elsewhere per person seems fair, but 500 points per room for Diamonds/Globs is a joke. Since they are both managed by Hyatt, I am surprised that they donít extend curtesy breakfasts to Regency Waikikiís club. When Waikikiís hot tub was closed during Covid, I wrote hotel and they got HC to grant our access to their pool deck.
168 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 22, 7:42 am
  #334  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,380
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
Thanks for this insight. Interesting that Hyatt managed property would be in this situation.
Ironically, Hyatt owned/managed properties are among the worst on gaming award availability or otherwise not providing benefits. Andaz Maui being Exhibit A.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 1:30 pm
  #335  
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,010
unbelievable that they would do this for prive, but wouldn't do it for globalists.
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
Family member booked a Prive rate that includes daily breakfast early next months. I mentioned that I read they donít have a restaurant open. They called the hotel and was told for rates that includes breakfast, you get a $25pp credit. You go out for breakfast anywhere and present the receipt daily at the front desk and you will get a credit on the hotel bill up to $25pp daily. Interesting setup.

this property doesnít actually have a Hyatt bed and breakfast rate but does have Prive rates.
Gertjaars is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 12:54 pm
  #336  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by bcosinteno View Post
Both are managed by Hyatt (not franchises). Hyatt is actively trying to come up with a solution for the lack of food & beverage at the Centric. We've recently had discussions with several leaders about the breakfast situation at Waikiki Centric (pertaining to Privť) who have blamed it on an ongoing union issue. I know Hyatt just promoted a senior member of management at Andaz Maui to become the new GM of the Hyatt Centric Waikiki, so we shall see.
Do you know when they became Hyatt owned? My concierge is positive they were franchised in the past.

I've got the centric and the regency both booked for the same 5 days... since there is no restaurant at the centric we may end up staying at the Regency instead.

Last edited by Neric; May 31, 22 at 1:39 pm
Neric is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 1:27 pm
  #337  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by Neric View Post
Do you know when they became Hyatt owned? My concierge is positive they were franchised in the past.

I've got the centric and the regency both booked for the same 5 days... since their is no restaurant at the centric we may end up staying at the Regency instead.
I did the Regency last week they don't game award rooms and they have a proper restaurant with some kind team members
some of have been there many years.
The club though popular isn't my favorite but free access for Globs

What I like best about the Hyatt Regency is their unconditional commitment to make the guest happy at all costs.
They were incredibly thoughtful leaving upon arrival a 4 pack of ice cold sparkling water (my favorite brand) and a number of snacks
(not to my liking I left them all behind) Its the thought that counts
Perhaps this was due to being a lifetime Glob and staying over 20 years there
When I didn't care for the breakfast one morning they allowed me to use the restaurant as an exception
They couldn't honor 4PM check out as its a busy resort(not a guarantee @ resorts) but moved me to a less desirable view to stay in until I wished to check out
Skip the Centric IMHO nice enough hotel but they take advantage of their guests every chance they can get.
When they did have breakfast @ Centric it was just fair at best
My two cents
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 3:45 pm
  #338  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
I did the Regency last week they don't game award rooms and they have a proper restaurant with some kind team members
some of have been there many years.
The club though popular isn't my favorite but free access for Globs

What I like best about the Hyatt Regency is their unconditional commitment to make the guest happy at all costs.
They were incredibly thoughtful leaving upon arrival a 4 pack of ice cold sparkling water (my favorite brand) and a number of snacks
(not to my liking I left them all behind) Its the thought that counts
Perhaps this was due to being a lifetime Glob and staying over 20 years there
When I didn't care for the breakfast one morning they allowed me to use the restaurant as an exception
They couldn't honor 4PM check out as its a busy resort(not a guarantee @ resorts) but moved me to a less desirable view to stay in until I wished to check out
Skip the Centric IMHO nice enough hotel but they take advantage of their guests every chance they can get.
When they did have breakfast @ Centric it was just fair at best
My two cents
I feel like your sentiment is very different as a LTG compared to the average traveler or even the average Globalist.

The Centric is much newer whereas the Regency is a much older outdated property.

The Centric is definitely a more singles or couples property whereas if traveling with kids Iíd definitely have to favor the Regency.

Price which is a major factor especially when traveling to destinations like Hawaii. The Regency when booking with points costs 33% more than the Centric, being an older property and less of a relaxing vibe I would have to argue that the cost differential just is not worth it.

However, IF youíre a Globalist AND you are paying cash AND the cash rate at the Regency is similar or lower than the Centric then in that one scenario I would argue on behalf of staying at the Hyatt Regency. I specifically would only recommend it for Globalists in this scenario though due to Club Access and Breakfast.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 4:53 pm
  #339  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
I feel like your sentiment is very different as a LTG compared to the average traveler or even the average Globalist.

The Centric is much newer whereas the Regency is a much older outdated property.

The Centric is definitely a more singles or couples property whereas if traveling with kids I’d definitely have to favor the Regency.

Price which is a major factor especially when traveling to destinations like Hawaii. The Regency when booking with points costs 33% more than the Centric, being an older property and less of a relaxing vibe I would have to argue that the cost differential just is not worth it.

However, IF you’re a Globalist AND you are paying cash AND the cash rate at the Regency is similar or lower than the Centric then in that one scenario I would argue on behalf of staying at the Hyatt Regency. I specifically would only recommend it for Globalists in this scenario though due to Club Access and Breakfast.
Possibly on LT Glob treatment but it also wasn't a suite or the best ocean view in house but a good enough ocean view room
Agreed newer.and that can be nicer
Like beds better at the Regency somewhat less firm (subjective)
Is newer always better? Sometimes I stayed at the Centric pre pandemic unimpressed.
Single no children liked the Regency for what I paid
Gym better at Regency
Views better at Regency
Options better at Regency

Do I love the Regency no I went onto to finish my stay at the Ritz Carlton a fantastic property IMO
pricey more points but in relationship to the Hyatt on points worth it in my eyes
Truth be told I don't really like The Regency or the Centric but I'll take the Regency over the Centric until
there is a good operating restaurant a good gym and fair WOH business behavior
By all means stay at the Centric if it pleases you more! I too like to stay with Hyatt
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 5:25 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Possibly on LT Glob treatment but it also wasn't a suite or the best ocean view in house but a good enough ocean view room
Agreed newer.and that can be nicer
Like beds better at the Regency somewhat less firm (subjective)
Is newer always better? Sometimes I stayed at the Centric pre pandemic unimpressed.
Single no children liked the Regency for what I paid
Gym better at Regency
Views better at Regency
Options better at Regency

Do I love the Regency no I went onto to finish my stay at the Ritz Carlton a fantastic property IMO
pricey more points but in relationship to the Hyatt on points worth it in my eyes
Truth be told I don't really like The Regency or the Centric but I'll take the Regency over the Centric until
there is a good operating restaurant a good gym and fair WOH business behavior
By all means stay at the Centric if it pleases you more! I too like to stay with Hyatt
I feel like 99% of people who travel to Hawaii definitely donít care about the gym when going to a resort/destination property. That would be well below even what phone type is in the room (which doesnít matter at all).

You also didnít address the 33% cost increase/differential which is very significant for every 3 nights staying at the Regency vs. the Centric youíve literally paid for the cost of a full additional night there (or 3 Nights at a Cat 1 property).
Matt4200 is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 6:08 pm
  #341  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
I feel like 99% of people who travel to Hawaii definitely don’t care about the gym when going to a resort/destination property. That would be well below even what phone type is in the room (which doesn’t matter at all).

You also didn’t address the 33% cost increase/differential which is very significant for every 3 nights staying at the Regency vs. the Centric you’ve literally paid for the cost of a full additional night there (or 3 Nights at a Cat 1 property).
Wouldn't say your statistics are accurate by any means but understand your point generally
I didn't feel the need to bring up any cost differential as rates are fluid and vary greatly year round.In particular as one example
in just the last 60 days some airfares doubled hitting all time highs including those for redemption's
Hyatt Regency was identical when I booked @ 200 dollars a night which I consider fully fair for the property.If I booked a few weeks before arrival
that would have been closer to 300
I wouldn't tend to use points for The Regency bad value IMO as for the Centric I've never seen rooms for points anytime for a standard room unless
they are baiting the guest for extra points to a suite
or some other scam like business behavior to avoid WOH members from redeeming for a standard room.
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 8:36 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,315
Let's be honest - Waikiki is NOT a good market for Hyatt. The breakfast-less Centric and the bland Regency with plasticy furniture pale in comparison to Marriott's offerings. The Kyo-Ya properties exude uniqueness and great service. The Ritz is a masterclass in service and culinary offerings.

I'll take the Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, or Sheraton any day - even with the resort fee! If I'm going to fly all the way to Hawaii, I might as well stay someone fun.
mixmastermark likes this.
ElevatorEnthusiast is online now  
Old May 31, 22, 9:25 pm
  #343  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Let's be honest - Waikiki is NOT a good market for Hyatt. The breakfast-less Centric and the bland Regency with plasticy furniture pale in comparison to Marriott's offerings. The Kyo-Ya properties exude uniqueness and great service. The Ritz is a masterclass in service and culinary offerings.

I'll take the Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, or Sheraton any day - even with the resort fee! If I'm going to fly all the way to Hawaii, I might as well stay someone fun.
Well said the nice thing is though there is no breakfast at the Ritz for elites
it is similar to how I live in my residence so it feels like home
The hard product rocks.It was awesome having a luxury kitchen to warm up leftovers in.
I have some weird emotional attachment to HR it’s certainly not the hard product of choice
but the team seem sincere
even if there are some downsides.They have always rallied around me as a guest to keep me happy
The Westin Sufrider is old and tight fisted with recognition not a fan but one could do worse!
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 9:30 pm
  #344  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,315
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Well said the nice thing is though there is no breakfast at the Ritz for elites
it is similar to how I live in my residence so it feels like home
The hard product rocks.It was awesome having a luxury kitchen to warm up leftovers in.
I have some weird emotional attachment to HR itís certainly not the hard product of choice
but the team seem sincere
even if there are some downsides.They have always rallied around me as a guest to keep me happy
The Westin Sufrider is old and tight fisted with recognition not a fan but one could do worse!
Yes, attachment is understandable. The Kyo-Ya properties, including the Moana, have treated me very well over the past year - that attachment will likely stick for me.

Booking the Ritz with FHR was a great choice - delicious croque madame and saucy pancakes at breakfast! Wonderful dinner of prawns and lobster pasta overlooking the sunset!

Still, I can't imagine anyone being attached to the Centric with its no-breakfast policy! I'm surprised there hasn't been a boycott.
ElevatorEnthusiast is online now  
Old Jun 1, 22, 9:19 am
  #345  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Programs: WOH Globalist
Posts: 121
While breakfast is nice, of all the locations of Hyatt in Hawaii, I was most okay with no breakfast in Waikiki considering all the options that are around. I was honestly very happy with the breakfasts I got from 7-11 or Zippy's while coming back or on the way to early morning snorkeling!
Cometstar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread