Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by illico
I just finished a seven night stay here, and to be honest I really liked it. It was paid but the parking fees were taken off so IMO that made up for breakfast. Between the Starbucks, McDonald's and Heavenly Island restaurant across the way ( and a donut food truck if you like that sort of thing), the lack of breakfast did not bother me. There were also plenty of dining options in the surrounding area too. I thought it was a great location being a couple of very short blocks to Kalakaua Ave.

I thought the globalist treatment was pretty good here. We had to move our reservations by a few days which invalidated our initial Suite upgrade (City Suite 2 queen). We checked in to a City 1 king but after a poor night sleep for our son, were were offered another two rooms of which we chose a a two queen suite (not much of a view) but better bedding and a very large junior suite which was great. There was some road noise but nothing terrible. The was no lanai but not an issue for us. The staff were very accommodating and friendly.
Thanks for sharing the experience. Do you know if it's a policy that they're waiving parking fees on paid nights due to no breakfast (for globalist), or is that YMMV thing depending on the front desk person?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by lukey168
Thanks for sharing the experience. Do you know if it's a policy that they're waiving parking fees on paid nights due to no breakfast (for globalist), or is that YMMV thing depending on the front desk person?
I think it is a person by person basis, though the front desk person casually mentioned that they'd waive given there was no breakfast right now.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by craz
?? isnt the RC Off-Peak 70K a night? plus its a Residence rather then hotel. do they act like a hotel and supply like a hotel or as a Residensce. I ask since "Hotel" isnt used at all in the title of then place, and I know some folks who have had very bad stays when a place was a mix Hotel/Residence haht I would have thought that Residence alone would have been worse. Sort of like the Marriott Exec Apartments in Europe which dont act like a hotel at all
Yes correct @ 70k a night off peak at the Ritz Carlton.
The official rule there is no upgrades to suites. I have been upgraded to a suite on one occasion.
Its like a high end hotel to me no question good guest customer service skill, amenities, with spa, restaurant & pool etc but each
room and suite is owned by somebody other than the hotel which makes no difference to me.
The best hotel in Hono hands down in my eyes.Exclusive private and occasional celebrities and vips in house

The lowest rate @ Hyatt Centric is 24 k a night in May in a mountain view suite as no standard rooms are available at 3 nights, 6 nights or 1 night
Being Hyatt earns 5 points min per dollar and Bonvoy 10 min I equate that one Centric night @ 48k min if in Bonvoy
The difference in experience @ The Ritz is day & night with a washer & dryer,marble kitchen, walkout glass terrace,
ocean view with Miele appliances and a super hard product
A vastly superior bed and linens all well worth the extra difference in my eyes.

As a lifetime Titanium I am earning over 20 points per dollar and with 5th night free its even less than 70K a night.
Previously pre pandemic I stayed at the Ritz it was 50k a night or approx 10% more than the tired Hyatt Regency with slowwwwwwwww elevators.
As Hyatt has allowed hotels to downgrade suite upgrade allocations,let hotels game standard rooms,continue point devaluation
and reduce some of the elite breakfast benefit I am becoming less loyal
and using other guest programs to utilize higher quality better value stays.

Still a Hyatt fan of their better properties but less likely to stay Hyatt when the property doesn't excel or offer value.
Most hotels suck in Honolulu as the chains know they
are dealing with primarily cost conscious leisure travelers.And some of the properties are just leftover relics from
the 70s or older that are aging poorly without proper renovations.
FlyHappy33 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
parking garage here is super tight. Saw too many close calls and some accidents by other guests at this hotel. I used the valet here as a globalist and had fees waived.
Originally Posted by lukey168
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
parking garage here is super tight. Saw too many close calls and some accidents by other guests at this hotel. I used the valet here as a globalist and had fees waived.
One tip for those who choose to self park. I found the sixth floor to be the absolute worst to maneuver around. The signs say for Centric guests to park there, but the front desk said the fifth floor was also fine. I found the fifth floor to be manageable; not great, but ok.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Your stay was points, right? It would be expected for you but surprised at the report of the parking being waived on a paid stay. I would prefer to have breakfast myself but that is a nice touch if it is consistent.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
5 night stay
3 free night awards
2 point + cash booking
valet parking was waived for all 5 days
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Your stay was points, right? It would be expected for you but surprised at the report of the parking being waived on a paid stay. I would prefer to have breakfast myself but that is a nice touch if it is consistent.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:11 pm

Family member booked a Prive rate that includes daily breakfast early next months. I mentioned that I read they don’t have a restaurant open. They called the hotel and was told for rates that includes breakfast, you get a $25pp credit. You go out for breakfast anywhere and present the receipt daily at the front desk and you will get a credit on the hotel bill up to $25pp daily. Interesting setup.

this property doesn’t actually have a Hyatt bed and breakfast rate but does have Prive rates.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by myperks
Family member booked a Prive rate that includes daily breakfast early next months. I mentioned that I read they don’t have a restaurant open. They called the hotel and was told for rates that includes breakfast, you get a $25pp credit. You go out for breakfast anywhere and present the receipt daily at the front desk and you will get a credit on the hotel bill up to $25pp daily. Interesting setup.

this property doesn’t actually have a Hyatt bed and breakfast rate but does have Prive rates.
Nice in that case. Too bad they don't do something similar for Globalist.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:13 am

Just completed a 2 night stay. Booked the 2 double bed regular room at 15k pts/night, got upgraded to the 2 queen city view suite about a day before. About a week before my trip I got an email from the property asking if I had any questions or needing anything, so nice touch by the property. This is where I was also informed about the 500 pts/day in place of the globalist breakfast.

My "city view" suite had a view looking directly at the adjacent hotel/condo. Really should have been called a "no view" room. The "suite" was essentially a standard room, with another couch/tv living room area separated by a curtain. It felt more like a really large room, and not a suite, but for my family that extra space did make us feel less crowded.

Fitness center was small, and the hotel did have a strange layout, but for only a couple days stay it wasn't a big deal. Nasa, the dog, hanging out in the lobby during the day was kind of neat. They also advertised beta fish buddies for the room, though none were actually available during my stay. Valet parking was free as a globalist on an award stay. Starbucks attached to the hotel downstairs, next to the valet parking. Overall, a solid stay. Nothing spectacular, but it worked as a clean place to sleep
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:50 pm

Here now. Doesn't look like the restaurant is ever coming back; they've turned it in to a "Work from Centric" area and removed any signage for it (except on the ground floor entrance, the Lanai is still advertised). I wonder what Hyatt corporate will say since one of the brand guidelines for Centric is a food & beverage outlet.

I also just came off of a visit to the Regency Waikiki. I am guessing it is the same ownership or management company as there similarities -- same two reusable water bottles in the room for example (just different colors and branding).
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Here now. Doesn't look like the restaurant is ever coming back; they've turned it in to a "Work from Centric" area and removed any signage for it (except on the ground floor entrance, the Lanai is still advertised). I wonder what Hyatt corporate will say since one of the brand guidelines for Centric is a food & beverage outlet.

I also just came off of a visit to the Regency Waikiki. I am guessing it is the same ownership or management company as there similarities -- same two reusable water bottles in the room for example (just different colors and branding).
Both are managed by Hyatt (not franchises). Hyatt is actively trying to come up with a solution for the lack of food & beverage at the Centric. We've recently had discussions with several leaders about the breakfast situation at Waikiki Centric (pertaining to Privé) who have blamed it on an ongoing union issue. I know Hyatt just promoted a senior member of management at Andaz Maui to become the new GM of the Hyatt Centric Waikiki, so we shall see.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Both are managed by Hyatt (not franchises). Hyatt is actively trying to come up with a solution for the lack of food & beverage at the Centric. We've recently had discussions with several leaders about the breakfast situation at Waikiki Centric (pertaining to Privé) who have blamed it on an ongoing union issue. I know Hyatt just promoted a senior member of management at Andaz Maui to become the new GM of the Hyatt Centric Waikiki, so we shall see.
Thanks for this insight. Interesting that Hyatt managed property would be in this situation. I actually really like the property; I got one of the large suites as a Globalist (just no view -- if it had a view it would have been a Premium Suite). Great layout and nice finishes.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Why would it have to be a union thing? To me, it just sounds like the property is being as cheap as possible. Using the pandemic to do less than they normally would be required.
It's a union thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.