$251 rates

Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It isn't a matter of refusing to sell a room to a government traveler; more that they would rather offer the room to other travelers first.

Ever more sophisticated Yield Management software could determine that a hotel with 70% of rooms filled could be as profitable ad a hotel at 100%, but with a "less desirable" mix of rates paid.

(IIRC the GSA limits can be exceeded via a process).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
That makes sense for properties and dates that are expected to sell out. What would make that applicable when that's not the case?
Honestly, it's virtually impossible to have a conversation related to hotel pricing when it's as abstract as this one. It's also tough to do unless you have proprietary information about each hotel. I offered an educated guess based on experience in the industry. It wasn't meant to be a definitive answer.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
OK, here is an off the wall theory.

I checked a number of US cities and noticed that, excepting NYC in non-summer months, the highest GSA federal government per diem rate allowed is exactly $250.

By pricing at $251, Hyatt can effectively exclude all federal government business at all continental US locations.
This is not so off-the-wall. I hadn't considered government rates. This is a good guess as to what might be happening.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Honestly, it's virtually impossible to have a conversation related to hotel pricing when it's as abstract as this one. It's also tough to do unless you have proprietary information about each hotel. I offered an educated guess based on experience in the industry. It wasn't meant to be a definitive answer.

This is not so off-the-wall. I hadn't considered government rates. This is a good guess as to what might be happening.
Except that, as one of the previous posters mentioned, the govt per diem is the limit in what the govt will reimburse, not what you can book. We're the hotel rate $251 and the per diem $250, a govt employee would have no problem staying there provided he/she pays the extra $1 out of pocket (which I would if the property was desirable). Certainly having the rate set higher would deter some people,but I'd imagine if you really didn't want government travelers you'd set it $20 higher, not $1.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Were the hotel rate $251 and the per diem $250, a govt employee would have no problem staying there provided he/she pays the extra $1 out of pocket (which I would if the property was desirable). Certainly having the rate set higher would deter some people,but I'd imagine if you really didn't want government travelers you'd set it $20 higher, not $1.
This is very true for the brand loyalist, but likely a non-factor for those who are brand-agnostic.

For an example: say that Oracle holds a specialized conference on the MIT campus in Cambridge. The infrequent federal traveler only cares about being close to the venue. So he/she looks, and finds the Cambridge Marriott at $239. They have no reason to look further.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Except that, as one of the previous posters mentioned, the govt per diem is the limit in what the govt will reimburse, not what you can book. We're the hotel rate $251 and the per diem $250, a govt employee would have no problem staying there provided he/she pays the extra $1 out of pocket (which I would if the property was desirable). Certainly having the rate set higher would deter some people,but I'd imagine if you really didn't want government travelers you'd set it $20 higher, not $1.
And as the OP clarified earlier, his cap is set at $250 and the Concur software he's required to use will not even allow him to book a room with a rate of $251, so simply paying the extra dollar out of pocket--which he'd be happy to do--isn't an option.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Concur sucks

Just wanted to throw that in there. My travel arrangements now take three times longer and generate five times the emails than they used to without Concur.

My company is not as rigid about it as others, so I can get around it when I need to, but man it is a pain in the ... if you grew up booking directly with hotels and airlines.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
OK, here is an off the wall theory.

I checked a number of US cities and noticed that, excepting NYC in non-summer months, the highest GSA federal government per diem rate allowed is exactly $250.
This theory though wouldn't work as every city has it's own per diem. For example, when I stayed in New Orleans a couple of month ago, it was like $125. Where I travel for work is $99. Therefore multiple hotels setting for $251 seems more like another issue since the OP said he is maxed at $250 period, i.e. regardless of where he stays.

Do you work for the government to say this? I don't know for a fact but IME I work for a defense contractor who has to use per diem rates for our travel. We are not allowed to book for more than per diem, even if we agree to pay the difference.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdancer20
This theory though wouldn't work as every city has it's own per diem. For example, when I stayed in New Orleans a couple of month ago, it was like $125. Where I travel for work is $99. Therefore multiple hotels setting for $251 seems more like another issue since the OP said he is maxed at $250 period, i.e. regardless of where he stays.
Understood.

But a national $251 corporate rate effectively guarantees that all fed gvmt stays will be blocked when using automated booking tools, no matter what the local GSA maximum is in any given area.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Understood.

But a national $251 corporate rate effectively guarantees that all fed gvmt stays will be blocked when using automated booking tools, no matter what the local GSA maximum is in any given area.
This would only be true though if the hotel doesn't have separate discounted gov't rates. Many do so this arbitrary $251 would not affect that option.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would only be true though if the hotel doesn't have separate discounted gov't rates. Many do so this arbitrary $251 would not affect that option.
Very true. The universal $251 blocks those without access to a local code.

One example might be Tampa - it is likely that Hyatts there offer special codes to civilian and military travelers going to MacDill (headquarters of the Joint Chiefs command).
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Do you work for the government to say this? I don't know for a fact but IME I work for a defense contractor who has to use per diem rates for our travel. We are not allowed to book for more than per diem, even if we agree to pay the difference.
My understanding is that (federal) government travelers can indeed choose to stay at more expensive hotels if they pay the difference. In addition, there are exceptions to the city's per diem hotel rate for conference hotels, where I think the rule is that you can be reimbursed up to 50% more if needed in order to stay in the official conference/convention hotel for your meeting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.