Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
What do folks think of the location of the property?
The beach/resort zone in Barra's definitely far afield if you're looking for walking access to the tourist staples like Lapa, Santa Teresa, Corcovado, Sugarloaf, Copacabana, and Ipanema, but its a 30-60 minute uber trip to get you there (for ~$15).

Its a bit like Cabo where the resort properties are a car ride from Cabo San Lucas itself, but they're each well-equipped for folks who are there for a resort vacation - spa, restaurants, pools, lounges, beach, golf, etc... Easy enough to pack up for the day and head into the city, though (at which point you have the metro and trams).

I don't know that I'd stay there again (not usually looking for a resort vacation), but the place is in great shape, the food was really well done, the staff very friendly, and the views nice.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree. The property could almost be categorized as a resort with pleasant grounds, a large pool and its own staffed beach with amenities across the road. The views are nice and you can walk a bit along the beach. The hotel has a (small) variety of F&B and I was very impressed by the lounge, including the staff there. It helped that my (TSU) top-floor corner suite had a wrap-around terrace with views of the ocean and the lagoon. The area around the hotel feels safe and the beach is pleasantly quiet, very different from Copacabana, for example. IME it was about a forty-five minute taxi ride to museums, etc. in Rio.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:02 pm

Loved the beach vendors who setup the stands next to the Hyatt chairs at the beach. Much cheaper than the Hyatt pricing and great drinks.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Just checked in today for a 10 night stay while working near the airport. The location, while far is convenient to the highway straight to the airport. Without traffic, it was 25 minutes door to door, so I'll just try to work around peak traffic times.

As a globalist, got upgraded from a base king room to a grand suite (standard suite) on the 2nd floor with ocean, lagoon and pool view.

A bottle of rose champagne and chocolates were waiting in the room. Service in the lounge has been amazing.

Hoping to take a bike out for a ride in the morning.
relidtm likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How did your bike ride and stay go? I have an upcoming stay and was curious about yours
Originally Posted by sammybk
Just checked in today for a 10 night stay while working near the airport. The location, while far is convenient to the highway straight to the airport. Without traffic, it was 25 minutes door to door, so I'll just try to work around peak traffic times.

As a globalist, got upgraded from a base king room to a grand suite (standard suite) on the 2nd floor with ocean, lagoon and pool view.

A bottle of rose champagne and chocolates were waiting in the room. Service in the lounge has been amazing.

Hoping to take a bike out for a ride in the morning.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:10 pm

Had a great stay overall. I booked two rooms in my name - one for me and one for a coworker and applied lounge certs to the second room. Both of us were upgraded to suites for the stay, which was a nice surprise. My co-worker was actually assigned a nicer suite with 2 bathrooms and a direct lagoon view (he was right above the breakfast restaurant)

Room view:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BoiZGP9XfJzHLBsB7

Room view at sunset:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UUFGZisUQJwUEa5j7

Service in the exec lounge was fantastic, although it did get busy on weekends. Happy hour during our stay in May ended up being right around sunset, and the view at sunset is bonkers. Many people enjoyed taking cocktails out onto the porch. The lounge attendants are happy to make several cocktails - Gin & Tonic, Caipirinha, and other simple mixed drinks (not self-mix). Hot cheeseballs and soup are also on offer.

Lounge spread:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrmXsBPFjjVe5iej8

Lounge view:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ys5snztXTiprQNVm6

Breakfast was not served in the lounge, so we both received breakfast in the 'Italian' restaurant Tano. The breakfast spread was pretty good and there were enough options that we weren't terribly bored of it after 10 days. Dinner at Tano, however, was the worst meal of our trip. Just not good.

Our favorite meal of the trip was at a new taco shop called Dos Perros Tacos (yes we had Mexican food in Brazil). (Map Location) The shop is owned by a Brazilian chef who has worked in Michelin kitchens in France, Chile and Rio. All the tacos are made of local ingredients. It was so good we went twice and we're from taco mecca LA.

Tacos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2DNRTkL3KMnBYAS8

The bike path straight out of the hotel allows you to ride all the way to Sao Conrado in one direction or Praia da Macumba in the other direction. The ride towards Praia da Macumba is very peaceful and most of it is through the lagoon reserve, but the path is pretty bumpy. The ride to Sao Conrado is great. Not dangerous, but scary due to being right next to the highway (separated by a large wall) and high up on bridges over cliffs and ocean. It's probably the most wild bike path I have ever been on. Highly recommended.

All of the men's bikes I tried had chains that were too loose, and if you tried to pedal hard the chain would slip. I tried some of the step-through bikes and they didn't have that issue. Other than that, the bikes were in decent condition. They state 1 hour free, but I was never charged for extra time.

Path at end of Barra:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qrcvANbzjY1RYeXE6

Path near Sao Conrado:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NkWCPLwRW7cnt2M78

Path towards next to the lagoon reserve:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WYgx9wc8QRpYhH2C7

The hotel also offers a free "lagoon ferry" as part of the resort fee. When we were there it was on Wednesday and Friday. It takes about an hour, but its actually a lagoon eco-cruise led by a biologist. He points out native and non-native plants and animals. You can see lots of birds, monkeys and alligators. Worth it to spend a relaxing afternoon.

Boat and lagoon with hotel in the background:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fmni2f64hRb5mcic8

Heron:
​​​​​​​https://photos.app.goo.gl/tTUXu5dLyj9dYEdt6
EqualOpp, boboqui, lautaro and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sammybk; Jun 6, 2022 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by sammybk;
Our favorite meal of the trip was at a new taco shop called Dos Perros Tacos (yes we had Mexican food in Brazil). The shop is owned by a Brazilian chef who has worked in Michelin kitchens in France, Chile and Rio. All the tacos are made of local ingredients. It was so good we went twice and we're from taco mecca LA.
Thanks for the tip! Will definitely try it!
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:05 am

For anyone paying with the Hyatt card, it didn't seem to code as a Hyatt purchase for me. Merchant name is Rio JV Partners. I had to message Chase to get the extra points.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Grand Hyatt Rio deposit/cancellation policy

I was looking at booking for 6 days in Feb, but the deposit/ cancellation policy is brutal. 100% deposit due at booking, no changes, no refunds. Is this because it's high season or are they always this restrictive? Would it be better maybe to book through a 3rd party?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:02 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kabroui
I was looking at booking for 6 days in Feb, but the deposit/ cancellation policy is brutal. 100% deposit due at booking, no changes, no refunds. Is this because it's high season or are they always this restrictive? Would it be better maybe to book through a 3rd party?
It looks like Carnival is 17-22 February next year. If you're looking around that period, that would explain the cancellation policy.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Debating whether or not to stay here for a trip in January. First time to Rio and most of the stuff we will be doing will be an uber away. But, the idea of being able to go back to a calmer beach after a long day is enticing. It's mostly over a weekend so traffic shouldn't be as big of an issue. Certain things will require an uber or metro ride either way. Being able to walk out the front door to either Copacabana or Ipanema depending on where we stay would also be nice but not quite the relaxing experience. It's only for 3 days so splitting wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13

Any thoughts?
The hotel is really nice but too far away.

Here’s what ESmjb thinks. Here’s what I think.

I live in Leblon, the ocean has been relatively clean but one never knows when the tide will bring the pollution.

Last edited by boboqui; Sep 26, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
The hotel is really nice but too far away.

Here’s what ESmjb thinks. Here’s what I think.

I live in Leblon, the ocean has been relatively clean but one never knows when the tide will bring the pollution.
I don't think we'd be swimming as much as just chilling on the beach. But yeah it looks like as nice of a hotel it is it's just too far away for a short trip.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I don't think we'd be swimming as much as just chilling on the beach. But yeah it looks like as nice of a hotel it is it's just too far away for a short trip.
The young and beautiful people hang out at the “Paraiso do Leblon” barraca (drinks tent),
https://goo.gl/maps/9mbqWsSYHLw41Tds7

“Janeiro” is only one beach front hotel left in Leblon, it’s quite luxurious. I used to stay at the Promenade Palladium hotel.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
The young and beautiful people hang out at the “Paraiso do Leblon” barraca (drinks tent),
https://goo.gl/maps/9mbqWsSYHLw41Tds7

“Janeiro” is only one beach front hotel left in Leblon, it’s quite luxurious. I used to stay at the Promenade Palladium hotel.
Thanks for the advice. Beachfront isn’t really necessary. We don’t spend hours on end on the beach. Would more be just walking along it and people watching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.