Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Note though that for anyone who goes in with the attitude of "I'm paying $800 a night and demand perfect service," disappointment will likely result
It's actually the nightly rate plus 35% after VAT, variable resort fee, occupancy and environment taxes. So $800/night becomes nearly $1,100.

I loved Andaz Mayakoba and appreciate their grandeur offerings, however, if I'm paying $800/night plus a mandatory $120/night [15%] resort fee ... every single thing better be immaculate and perfect above and beyond reasonable expectations. This is a major point management will need to recognize and work on, if they want the spenders (not the points spenders) to not only come, but keep coming back.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Iif I'm paying $800/night plus a mandatory $120/night [15%] resort fee ... every single thing better be immaculate and perfect above and beyond reasonable expectations
You will probably be happier somewhere else.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power

You will probably be happier somewhere else.
Agreed, I just spent 5 days there and while I enjoyed it very much I wouldn't say it qualified as $1000/night service, which is what the rate would have been had we not lucked out on points.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Agreed, I just spent 5 days there and while I enjoyed it very much I wouldn't say it qualified as $1000/night service, which is what the rate would have been had we not lucked out on points.
The average rate for this property seems to run around $300-$500. Just because the rack rates for the dates you were staying there happened to be $1k doesn't mean they qualify themselves as a $1k/night hotel or one should expect they provide that level service.

There's plenty low level Hyatt Regency's that go for $1000+ when they are near full occupancy, yet I wouldn't be so naive as to expect 5* service from them.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:17 pm

How convenient is it to go from the Andaz Mayakoba to Cozumel for a day trip, or to Tulum?

Would you rather stay at the Intercontinental on Cozumel or the GH PDC or the Andaz Mayakoba?

Sounds like for snorkeling and natural beach beauty - Cozumel is supposed to be good?
Sounds like for convenience/nightlife/people watching/shopping/strolling - with less natural beach beauty, and everything being a little more crammed in - Playa Del Carmen fits the bill
Sounds like the Andaz isn't in either Cozumel or PDC, but north PDC. i wonder if I will find myself discouraged by the long distances to get to PDC/Cozumel/Tulum from the Andaz? But on the other hand, I also wonder if the pool at the Playa Del Carmen is way undersized.

My initial thought; spend 3 nights at the Andaz or PDC, and then spend 2 nights at the Intercontinental Cozumel. But I am not sure what will be the best combo...

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Colin
the taxi stand is run by Super Shuttle. it’s not shared shuttle, it’s a private sedan or private van.

cost is $96 roundtrip, payable via credit card at CUN airport.
hotel pickup on return is reliable.
nice new cars.
A warning to all, this company is NOT reliable for return pick-ups. They no-showed on me. They told the doorman that I should just bring my taxi receipt to the booth at the airport and I'd be issued a refund. The booth at the airport (departures) was not staffed. I've followed up by email, and while they acknowledge they failed to provide RT transport, they will only offer a partial refund (i.e., only a portion of the half-RT price).

Looking at TripAdvisor (wish I'd done that first), it seems this is very very common, and that their selling of "round-trip" transfers is borderline fraudulent.

Note they also promised me an Audi in order to close the deal at purchase. That was a lie. VW.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

A warning to all, this company is NOT reliable for return pick-ups. They no-showed on me. They told the doorman that I should just bring my taxi receipt to the booth at the airport and I'd be issued a refund. The booth at the airport (departures) was not staffed. I've followed up by email, and while they acknowledge they failed to provide RT transport, they will only offer a partial refund (i.e., only a portion of the half-RT price).

Looking at TripAdvisor (wish I'd done that first), it seems this is very very common, and that their selling of "round-trip" transfers is borderline fraudulent.

Note they also promised me an Audi in order to close the deal at purchase. That was a lie. VW.
Any suggestions on alternatives? I have heard Uber can be used going to the resort but not vice versa.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:09 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by factory81
How convenient is it to go from the Andaz Mayakoba to Cozumel for a day trip, or to Tulum?

Would you rather stay at the Intercontinental on Cozumel or the GH PDC or the Andaz Mayakoba?

Sounds like for snorkeling and natural beach beauty - Cozumel is supposed to be good?
Sounds like for convenience/nightlife/people watching/shopping/strolling - with less natural beach beauty, and everything being a little more crammed in - Playa Del Carmen fits the bill
Sounds like the Andaz isn't in either Cozumel or PDC, but north PDC. i wonder if I will find myself discouraged by the long distances to get to PDC/Cozumel/Tulum from the Andaz? But on the other hand, I also wonder if the pool at the Playa Del Carmen is way undersized.

My initial thought; spend 3 nights at the Andaz or PDC, and then spend 2 nights at the Intercontinental Cozumel. But I am not sure what will be the best combo...

Any thoughts?
i am in the PDC right now, 2nd stay and love the hotel. Except that weather is not very good right now, unusually cool. The Andaz is about a 15 Minute drive from here. Evening entertainment like shopping, great restaurants and bars is a 3 minute walk from the PDC on 5th avenue. Very nice and safe too.
I personally recommend GH over Andaz, don‘t know the IC. The Grand Club is super as well. Wide selection, free cocktails, great breakfast too.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:29 pm

Andaz standard suite then GH standard suite then GH standard room then Andaz standard room

Andaz in suite w/ private pool is hard to beat among all Hyatt resorts worldwide
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Andaz in suite w/ private pool is hard to beat among all Hyatt resorts worldwide
I absolutely loved the Andaz suite.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Any suggestions on alternatives? I have heard Uber can be used going to the resort but not vice versa.
I've used USA Transfers multiple times (once from Andaz) and they were always prompt and reliable.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Uber is banned, the taxi mafia drove them out.

From the resort, you can have them call you a taxi. They have regular drivers they use who charge reasonable fixed fares (this is true to PDC as well). I paid 750 MXN for a ride to CUN with an excellent driver in a clean, well maintained Jetta. I'm sure they can also arrange airport pick-up and/or a more upscale ride, too.

The difficult taxi ride is PDC back to the resort. The taxi drivers will charge outrageous fares for that, i.e., 250 from Andaz, 400 back. This was a shock coming from Mexico City, where you can cross the city in an Uber Black luxury SUV for 150 MXN.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes
I've used USA Transfers multiple times (once from Andaz) and they were always prompt and reliable.
Thanks, do you typically book in advance?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:36 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
I have used USA Transfers before and was good. This time I used Canada transfers and experience was better I thought. For one, the reservation process was easier. I could chat with an agent as i had a routing not available to book online (i.e. Ziva Cancun to GH PDC.)

you could view the reservation online. When making changes I could chat again and promptly saw the changed reservation.
pickup at the Ziva was super punctual, safe driver.

i would choos Canada Transfers again.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:50 pm

I received an email saying that I have been confirmed into a Beach suite overlooking the Lagoon. I'm not entirely sure what this means. Can someone who's stayed clarify if this is a good suite? If not, should I request to switch to a Lagoon suite?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.