Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by roder
Did they actually send them to you?

Separately, as I'm staying over NYE, they sent me the special holiday event info. Apparently Cocina Milargo is doing a New Year's Day Brunch starting at 6AM for 650MXN (~$33) and they are NOT allowing Globalists to use the breakfast benefit. Only option on that morning is Olla Taco. While I'm glad there's an alternative I think it's a little silly that they are excluding this.
They did send all menus over to me. I tried emailing Saffron directly but they never got back. So it was good that Hyatt guest services was able to do it for all. I still dont feel like booking dinners till we get there on Wed.

What I have been told is that the resort is pretty much full. I'll be concerned with the "golf cart shuttle" timing, bike availability and chair availability.

Since we get free breakfast added for onl y Olla Taco, I hope we get a room on the beach side. As of now, Beach King and Doubles are still available to book. Since I'm mid tier, I hope I get an upgrade to beach side vs lagoon.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:50 am

Any one know if the setup is similar to Andaz Maui where there are Sun Screen and water stations all around the pools? I know they have that automatic machine near the gym but wondering if they have around the beach pool area too etc.

Also, whats this I have read around using hydrotherapy without treatment? We will still do some treatments but it would be nice to use hydrotherapy on other days.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Any one know if the setup is similar to Andaz Maui where there are Sun Screen and water stations all around the pools? I know they have that automatic machine near the gym but wondering if they have around the beach pool area too etc..
They have an automatic sun screen station near the beach-side pool. It's ~$5? (with a discount for buying 3 at a time?). I didn't pay too much attention, but it's there on the righthand (south) side of the pools by the beach.

They have water bottle stations at both the lagoon pool and the beach pool. Plus (and this is a really nice feature) the lifeguards will set up umbrellas and recliners for you AND bring a bucket of iced waters for you (plus take any orders you have).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by milemission
They sent email with attachment and asked us to fill out all information and email back. Have anyone received this email? I wonder if it is necessary. Thank you!
One big thing is that if you need a rollaway or a crib, at least respond with that request. I initially didn't respond and over Thanksgiving they said that they ran out of cribs and I may not be able to get one for the first couple of days. It ended up working out, but that's a big reason why you would want to make the request.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Thoughts on whether or not a rental car is a good idea? I figure at a minimum we need one for a day to go to Tulum an can use it to go to/from the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by roder
Thoughts on whether or not a rental car is a good idea? I figure at a minimum we need one for a day to go to Tulum an can use it to go to/from the airport.
IMO not a good idea because the police is corrupt and their favorite pass time is ripping off American tourists in rental cars. You can consider someone like Canada Transfers for a private to/from airport transfer [~$100 rt] and rent a Mayakoba taxi driver for the day to go to Tulum [~$100].
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:44 am

Just booked 4 nights for MLK weekend. Initially, only point stays available for 20K/night for king, double, lagoon view king to be booked online. Called WOH representative and was told beach suite and lagoon suite available for 6Kpoints + cash,Much better options available when calling. Have read quite a few reports and trying to determine which room would be best to choose. Leaning towards Lagoon suite. Will be traveling with 1.5 year old daughter and wife. Any thoughts/suggestions for which room to select?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by benjahman
Just booked 4 nights for MLK weekend. Initially, only point stays available for 20K/night for king, double, lagoon view king to be booked online. Called WOH representative and was told beach suite and lagoon suite available for 6Kpoints + cash,Much better options available when calling. Have read quite a few reports and trying to determine which room would be best to choose. Leaning towards Lagoon suite. Will be traveling with 1.5 year old daughter and wife. Any thoughts/suggestions for which room to select?
We preferred the Lagoon View suite when we stayed there in mid-April. Mainly because of its proximity to the extensive breakfast buffet at Cucina Milagro, the hyrdotherapy at the spa, and the fact that the private pool's are only heated on the Lagoon side, but not on the Beach side. They are more or less the same room so it came down to the factors above and the proximity to the beach. We never had to wait more than a few minutes for a golf cart to the beach especially since we were in the building right next to the Cenote (lobby).
benjahman likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Just got back after 5 nights Dec 20th to 25th. Resort was around 40% for 4 of the nights and went to 80% on the last night based on multiple employee and guests commenting on occupancy.

Check In:
Explorist upgrade: NONE, even when I had to show front desk the hyatt app that shows I can book mulitple Beach King and Doubles for the same dates while in lobby. The guy just kept on walking back and forth to discuss with manager. They claim they dont have availability yet I can click book right there and then. He said he was not sure why the app availability was different from their system. I asked if we can split the booking for a couple of days on the beach and rest at the lagoon so we can experience both also because we have free breakfast only at the Olataco which is on the beach and it would be a waste to have to take a cart everymorning to get breakfast then come back. He went back to manager and came back and said that they can do that but you have to pay an up charge of $100 a night. Keep in mind, for 4 out of the 5 nights, we were literally the only ones in the main 4 pools. There were very few guest around. This shouldnt have been like pulling teeth. Also, this was 4-5 back and forth with Aldo checking with manager but the manager never bothered to introduce himself or try to just speak to us to resolve it even when he's not even with any other guests, he's just standing there on the computer.

We had similar challenges in Andaz Maui a year ago but they were able to split booking to allow us a ocean view for 3 days followed by 4 nights garden view. And the manager introduced himself to us.

The resort was great, awsome main pools that are semi heated by hot tubs(which are not that hot which is great), beach pool is cold but great during mid day and afternoon. Beach was amazing, little to no waves so easy for my 3 year old to walk to his neck depth. water equipment included paddle boards and kayaks. Their vendor also offered sailboats but we only knew during out last day. I would have loved to take our kid out.

Food was the biggest disappointment here. We came here because we found all inclusives in the area to be soso for food, we would rather pay more for better food(we last stayed at Ziva Cancun last Jan). Since this is a 5 star along with three other 5 star resorts and the going rate for our dates was 600-700 a night, was hoping for really good 4-5 star food.

Breakfast:
buffett pales in comparison with Andaz Maui. There was nothing special with the exception of the Honey Combs that was pretty cool. Everything else was soso and most items were overly salty. Pricing of buffett is similar or close enough to Andaz Maui but if I rated Andaz Maui buffett a 10, this would be a 6-7 tops. Breakfast near the beach was by order only but you can ask for anything. ie. I just wanted some scrambled eggs and some flank steak on the side (steak and eggs), they were able to make it but its mixed together which is fine too.

Lunch:
the resturants had similar offerings. Ceviche (mixed is best) with more options from the beach, tacos etc, burgers. Same kids menus. One fish taco which was breaded and always fishy but the only fish taco they had. Everything was very similar to one degree or another. We found a rubber band in our smoothy.

Dinner,
Casa Amate is there premiere dining. It took over 2 hours to get a starter and a main. The ceviche had too much lime. The pork belly main was way too dry and chewy for pork belly. Our neighboring table of 6 had 2 young teenagers who pratically just layed on the couch seats lifeless as they are just tired of waiting. The main waiter also didnt ask them around food allergies and got into an argument with the mom there and just kept on saying he disclosed it. This is a 5 star restuarant right? just say sorry and move on comp some food be done with it. But the guy kept on saying he did it, The mom and to turn to her husband who said he didnt ask etc. We wanted to leave after well over 2 hours for 2 dishes and my 3 year old dying there. Asked for the check, 10 minutes later got the desert menu instead. said no, just the check, 10 minutes later got the check. All the time, no one asked how the food was. I would have loved to provide some feed back.

room service is provided by the main restaurant. burger is a plain old burger unlike what is provided around the beach. The steak sandwich is pail and almost seemed boiled.

In comparison, we dined in the main restaurant at Rosewood for two nights. It's slightly more than Casa Amate, but the service is next to none. we arrived with the andaz provided massive emergency-like yellow flashlights so we can walk from our room to the lobby. When we got to Rosewood, their lobby employee started to play with my son and took his pocket LED flashlight (size of a AAA battery) which was also brighter to my son and just gave it to him. So picture us walking to dinner with a massive yellow flashlight that I have to remember to bring back vs their pocket size flashlight I can just put in my pockets. Looking like a fool dressed up with a emergency flash light. We looked at the menu and it differed from what Andaz Reception emailed me. They no longer had Ossobuco any more for well over 2 months. We ordered something else, but the waiter sensed our disappointment, went to talk to the chef and came back and said they can order the ingredients and make it just for us for either the next or following night. Keep in mind it takes well over 10 hours to prepare. The Chef came out, told us they can do this for us and we booked for Saturday night. Who does that? This is what I call service. Especially comparing to the service and quality of food at Casa Amate. And this was their main dining restaurant and not their premiere. No way were we expecting this yet they went above and beyond. On saturday the chef came out and walked us through what was in the dish and how it was made etc and chatted with us along with other guests for a bit. Once again, never saw this at Casa Amate.

Overall, Andaz Mayakoba service and quality of food is definitely lacking compared to Andaz Maui and their neighbors such as Rosewood. It charges both in room and food at 5 star prices but quality definitely need to improve.
benjahman likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:28 pm

wow, good to know, thanks for the insight ddavid1101

Have stayed at Banyan Tree before and the food was not memorable, even the so hyped thai restaurant. Had lunch at the Rosewood beach/pool restaurant and remember the tacos being tasty.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by benjahman
wow, good to know, thanks for the insight ddavid1101

Have stayed at Banyan Tree before and the food was not memorable, even the so hyped thai restaurant. Had lunch at the Rosewood beach/pool restaurant and remember the tacos being tasty.
we wanted to try Saffron and avoid any dinners in Andaz but we went back to Rosewood again.

we are picky eaters and expect good food esp at this price point. Just didn’t see it. I wish I could have taken some pics of the disappointing food.

at this point at least for Cancún area, might as well try a higher end family all inclusive resort with similar atmosphere.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For those who have used TSUs here, did you ever get an email confirming the upgrade?

I'm booked on points (awesome redemption value, with rooms going for $800/night), Diamond line confirmed the upgrade today, but I've not received the promised confirmation email from the property. Wondering whether I ought to follow up.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
For those who have used TSUs here, did you ever get an email confirming the upgrade?

I'm booked on points (awesome redemption value, with rooms going for $800/night), Diamond line confirmed the upgrade today, but I've not received the promised confirmation email from the property. Wondering whether I ought to follow up.
I just used one to upgrade to a Beach Suite and received no confirmation. Im
not too worried about it. You can always call WoH and have them confirm it's noted on the reservation.

By the way, can anyone comment on the feasibility of getting to/from downtown Playa from the property for a night out?
We tend to get resort fever and wouldn't mind heading there in the evening one night.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed a brief, last minute stay. Booked on points, TSU to Lagoon View Suite. Best hotel redemption ever (Andaz King was going for $800 per night). The physical product is fantastic. Rooms are beautifully designed, furnishings are gorgeous (no pressboard furniture here), unusually high quality construction for Mexico.

I thought the staff was fantastic - warm, genuine, and helpful. There were a few minor service glitches, but these were always resolved quickly with a smile. Note though that for anyone who goes in with the attitude of "I'm paying $800 a night and demand perfect service," disappointment will likely result (as it obviously did for the American women who had a screaming meltdown at the front desk over a nonfunctional key card).

Breakfast was excellent, but I was unimpressed otherwise by the food.

Plunge pool was great, heated to the high 90s, with a single very strong jet.

I will definitely return. Wouldn't hesitate to pay $400+ per night, and would also consider paying to upgrade to one of the various beachfront suites.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd

I just used one to upgrade to a Beach Suite and received no confirmation. Im
not too worried about it. You can always call WoH and have them confirm it's noted on the reservation.

By the way, can anyone comment on the feasibility of getting to/from downtown Playa from the property for a night out?
We tend to get resort fever and wouldn't mind heading there in the evening one night.
we took a cab mid day. took about 20-30min due to mid day traffic. coming back was a lot faster. Front desk quoted 250pesos but I only had a US20s, dont expect change from taxis. Taxis are all white but different car models. Had no issues with the cabs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.