FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1758930-andaz-mayakoba-resort-riveria-maya-review-master-thread.html)

clublevel15 Jul 13, 2018 4:17 am

What is a Citi Prestige Card ?

sensei Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am

A quick Google search will tell you.

Originally Posted by clublevel15 (Post 29969007)
What is a Citi Prestige Card ?

zeer0 Aug 8, 2018 2:06 am

Had a great stay here last week. Paradise.

beachfan Aug 8, 2018 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 29966243)
I won't be able to return to this resort until after the promo period, but the deal gets even better for the Globalist with a Citi Prestige card who can take advantage of this deal.
The total cost for 4 night stay (Oct 8 - 12 for instance) confirmed in an Ocean Suite would be $1200 (after paying the Ocean Studio rate, confirming upgrade within 24 hours to Ocean Suite, waived resort fees, and $100 resort credit).
That's $300/n all-in for the suite you really want to be in at this resort.
Add in the F&B discount and wow!

i dint think prive price can be combined with Citi 4th night free anymore.

bcosinteno Aug 9, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 30063247)

i dint think prive price can be combined with Citi 4th night free anymore.

To my knowledge - it can no longer be combined. However this particular Andaz and some of the others typically often offer a 4th night free promo through Prive or Virtuoso (however that promotion is currently not available as of right now at Mayakoba - but they have several other Prive promos that are ongoing).

PortlySpartacus Aug 9, 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno (Post 30065462)
To my knowledge - it can no longer be combined. However this particular Andaz and some of the others typically often offer a 4th night free promo through Prive or Virtuoso (however that promotion is currently not available as of right now at Mayakoba - but they have several other Prive promos that are ongoing).

Where is CityGuy1 when you need him? He's Mr. Prive johnny on the spot

bcosinteno Aug 9, 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus (Post 30066459)

I confirmed this afternoon that Citi has changed it's policy and is no longer allowing 4th night free bookings to be combined with Hyatt Prive - existing reservations before the change are being honored.

Cityguy1 Aug 10, 2018 5:00 am

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus (Post 30066459)

Sorry for my delay in responding - how uncharacteristic!! I can confirm that Citi no longer combine their 4th-night free deal with the Privé amenities. However, the hotel is currently offering a promotion that's 50% off the current rate (50% is better than 25% which is what 4th night free would be on a 4-night stay). It includes the Privé perks (US$120 property credit, room upgrade confirmed, daily breakfast for 2, welcome amenity etc) plus:

• Welcome beverage upon check-in

• 25% discount on food & beverages

• Complimentary in-room mini bar, excluding alcoholic beverages

• 25% discount in our Mayan oasis, Naum Wellness & Spa

• Professional photo shoot at the resort (which includes 4 photos)

• Local farewell gift

Must book by August 31, 2018 for stays between June 29, 2018 - October 31, 2018

The hotel is also offering a special promotion for booking a Studio category room or above:

Enjoy an additional $100 property credit when booking a Studio-category room or above at the Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya. This offer requires a minimum stay of 3 nights and may be combined with any other Hyatt Privé offer at Andaz Mayakoba.

Must book by December 31, 2018 for stays between July 26, 2018 - December 31, 2018

Let me know (here or PM) if you have any other questions! Thanks.

Johnny Rocket Sep 9, 2018 12:22 pm

Nice review about the Sunday brunch at Casa Amate and the spa at the Andaz Mayakoba

blitzkriegs Sep 9, 2018 5:57 pm

Olle Ceviche has been closed, thus making Olle Taco the solo restaurant at the beach pool. Ceviche is being used almost like an overflow of sorts if you want to eat outside. So, if you eat at the pool during the day, well, expect to see much of the same at dinner at Olle Taco.

Casa Amate bar, albeit tiny, is excellent. The ‘house’ itself is very well decorated. The lighting and overall acoustics need a second look. Dinner? Nothing inspiring, food was ok, and unlikely to return on a future stay.

Sweet Willie Oct 3, 2018 7:19 am

Just tried to call and apply suite upgrade to my existing points reservation, was told this is one of 6 or so properties in the Hyatt system that do not accept suite upgrades for points reservations, one must redeem additional points for suite. Since we don't spend much time in the room, didn't spend the extra points for a suite. (Globalist)

txhyattlvr Oct 3, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 30273919)
Just tried to call and apply suite upgrade to my existing points reservation, was told this is one of 6 or so properties in the Hyatt system that do not accept suite upgrades for points reservations, one must redeem additional points for suite. Since we don't spend much time in the room, didn't spend the extra points for a suite. (Globalist)

I’ve used TSU here before. This hotel is corporate run and frequently has low occupancy (and has lots of suites!) It makes no sense they wouldn’t want TSU money (my understanding is Hyatt pays the properties extra $ when TSUs are used).

The fact that your in a points reservation should make zero difference to the hotel.

I’d call back and try again or better yet send a message through twitter.

Let us know what happens? I’m highly suspicious that some meaningful devaluations are coming and properties opting out of TSU (especially corporate run properties) could be real evidence of this...

Kacee Oct 3, 2018 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 30274044)
I’d call back and try again or better yet send a message through twitter.

Agree. I used TSU on points in January. It was probably my best Hyatt redemption ever.

The suites here are fantastic, one of the nicest rooms I've ever had. I would definitely pay up for one.

martinplas Oct 3, 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30274238)
Agree. I used TSU on points in January. It was probably my best Hyatt redemption ever.

The suites here are fantastic, one of the nicest rooms I've ever had. I would definitely pay up for one.

I was there two weeks ago and used a TSU on an all points stay for 4 nights and received a two category upgrade to a beachfront suite. I found the hotel to be excellent and managed very well. The only issue was the sea weed which the hotel did it’s best to clean up every day and for me was a not a huge problem.

Kacee Oct 3, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by martinplas (Post 30275857)
The only issue was the sea weed which the hotel did it’s best to clean up every day and for me was a not a huge problem.

I think that varies based on time of year. I was there early January and there was none.

ajshin27 Oct 3, 2018 7:54 pm

all-inclusive option

Has anyone tried the all-inclusive option? Rate rules say that meals must be ordered from the "Open Kitchen Menu." I'm guessing that means a limited menu (no lobster?), but it's not clear.

sch_flyer Oct 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 30273919)

For what it's worth, I was just able to apply a TSU to a Points+Cash booking next year via the Twitter concierge without any issues, confirming into a Beach Area Suite.

Kacee Oct 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer (Post 30334858)
For what it's worth, I was just able to apply a TSU to a Points+Cash booking next year via the Twitter concierge without any issues, confirming into a Beach Area Suite.

That's a score. The TSU suite is the Lagoon view.

Colin Oct 20, 2018 3:06 pm

no, beach area suite and lagoon suite are both designated as standard suites

creditcardgeek Nov 5, 2018 2:38 pm

Can anyone comment on the service charge that is added at restaurants? For those who have stayed here recently (we are returning soon) what did you do at the end of each meal in terms of tip?

CodeAdam10 Nov 5, 2018 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek (Post 30396964)
Can anyone comment on the service charge that is added at restaurants? For those who have stayed here recently (we are returning soon) what did you do at the end of each meal in terms of tip?

If the waiter was extraordinary, we gave him some cash as an extra tip. Otherwise, as is the case anywhere else, "service charge" is the pre-included tip shared among the restaurant staff.

slice Dec 22, 2018 6:11 am

I’m here now. A new restaurant called Sotavento opened on the beach this week. Outdoor grill on the sand. Haven’t been yet but hoping to get there before we leave. Snapped a quick pic of the menu (below).

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c83c57abd.jpeg

zorrobandit Mar 4, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by ajshin27 (Post 30276449)
Has anyone tried the all-inclusive option? Rate rules say that meals must be ordered from the "Open Kitchen Menu." I'm guessing that means a limited menu (no lobster?), but it's not clear.

I am bumping this topic. I am interested in knowing if anyone has negotiated the"open kitchen" package as an add on to a points stay. If so, were you able to negotiate this at check in, and what did you pay?

Also, any updates on the seaweed situation??? Any recent feedback? We are checking in March 6. Thanks!

Billy910 Mar 6, 2019 10:02 pm

I just came back from a 5 day stay and the Seaweed problem is there. But they do a great job of continuously cleaning it. It varies depending upon when you go to the beach.

attaching some pictures for reference
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e0ce9c87b.jpeg
Somewhat cleaner day
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...756dd17e68.jpg
Morning time, waiting to be picked up

I didnt try the dining option so cant comment on it.

dewby Mar 24, 2019 6:01 am

I have a reservation for the Andaz in April. First impressions matter and I was horrified.

I had a suite booked using TSU. Only lagoon side available. Spoke to the hotel and asked to consider moving me to a beach area suite if a cancellation came up.

They wrote back and said they could offer me an ocean view suite at an additional (YES ADDITIONAL) 850 USD plus 19 tax ��������. Despite my current room rate at 400 usd. They were selling it online for 900 so trying to rip me off which really irritated me. With the upgrade price they were offering me the room for 1200 plus the 19% tax on the upgrade cost. Nothing worse. Just as irritating they said they would be very generous and waiver resort fees as a part of the very generous offer despite being a globalist so get it anyway.

I really do hope this is not a sign of things to come.

sensei Mar 24, 2019 6:17 am

I wonder whether they quoted you the upgrade cost for the entire stay. If not, I would complain to management and request an explanation.

Originally Posted by dewby (Post 30923213)
I have a reservation for the Andaz in April. First impressions matter and I was horrified.

I had a suite booked using TSU. Only lagoon side available. Spoke to the hotel and asked to consider moving me to a beach area suite if a cancellation came up.

They wrote back and said they could offer me an ocean view suite at an additional (YES ADDITIONAL) 850 USD plus 19 tax ��������. Despite my current room rate at 400 usd. They were selling it online for 900 so trying to rip me off which really irritated me. With the upgrade price they were offering me the room for 1200 plus the 19% tax on the upgrade cost. Nothing worse. Just as irritating they said they would be very generous and waiver resort fees as a part of the very generous offer despite being a globalist so get it anyway.

dewby Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am

Nope Per night.

I have written a note to the hotel and Hyatt direct.

Has anyone been recently. starting to worry about the beach and seaweed. Hearing loads of nasty things.

Kacee Mar 24, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dewby (Post 30923213)

The Ocean View Suite is a Premium Suite and is not TSU eligible. If you want a Premium Suite, there is nothing inappropriate about the property charging for the upgrade.

HoustonConsultant Mar 24, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30923647)
The Ocean View Suite is a Premium Suite and is not TSU eligible. If you want a Premium Suite, there is nothing inappropriate about the property charging for the upgrade.

Certainly appropriate to charge for the upgrade, but the upgrade charge plus their existing nightly rate is higher than what they are charging for the Premium Suite straight up on the website. That's just wrong.

Keep us posted on the seaweed and how your stay is.

I have a stay there in four months, and the seaweed situation could change completely by then but curious how the overall stay goes.

dewby Mar 24, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30923647)

as mentioned above. Of course the resort can charge for a premium suite. My point was they wanted to charge me more than what it would cost. That is wrong. Read the post.

Colin Mar 24, 2019 12:39 pm

hotels do not have to offer a cash difference upgrade on top of a TSU into a premium suite. in fact, the structure of WOH disincents hotel owners from making this option available because it has the effect of opening up the TSU eligible suite for another globalist to use a TSU. hotel owners absorb the opportunity cost of a redeemed TSU as just a cost of being affilated with WOH. there is no direct revenue. an in-demand property like Mayakoba certainly doesn’t want most of their suites, including premium ones, to be occupied by guests paying the cheapest base rates, plus TSU, plus cash difference. they want serious ~$1000/n revenue for those premiums suites.

that being said, Mayakoba is ridiculously generous in my experience. counting the beach area suite as standard. and always ending up in an ocean suite on my five visits. if someone has a bad experience dealing with this property, my instinct is to think the guest is being a PITA.

txhyattlvr Mar 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30924258)
hotels do not have to offer a cash difference upgrade on top of a TSU into a premium suite. in fact, the structure of WOH disincents hotel owners from making this option available because it has the effect of opening up the TSU eligible suite for another globalist to use a TSU. hotel owners absorb the opportunity cost of a redeemed TSU as just a cost of being affilated with WOH. there is no direct revenue. an in-demand property like Mayakoba certainly doesn’t want most of their suites, including premium ones, to be occupied by guests paying the cheapest base rates, plus TSU, plus cash difference. they want serious ~$1000/n revenue for those premiums suites.

that being said, Mayakoba is ridiculously generous in my experience. counting the beach area suite as standard. and always ending up in an ocean suite on my five visits. if someone has a bad experience dealing with this property, my instinct is to think the guest is being a PITA.

Where are you getting your information? My understanding is that Hyatt DOES compensate hotels for accepting a TSU.

sch_flyer Mar 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Checked in today. Used a TSU to confirm into a beach area suite - no further upgrade, the room not ready until 3:30. It was interesting that the front desk person said that we were "upgraded"...umm... no, we got exactly what we reserved.

The seaweed issue is still ongoing, but not too bad - there's a small amount washed ashore, but the water is mostly clear. There's a breakwater offshore, so the beach is calm.

The biggest disappointment is how similar and limited all restaurant menus seem to be - we are going to have to figure out where to get some variety around here. Any recommendations? I suppose we can just cab into Playa.

dionnec123 Mar 24, 2019 4:33 pm

There is a new burger place in Mayakoba. You can get a ride from a golf cart to get there. Very good burgers and very reasonably priced. We were just there two weeks ago. The new restaurant on the beach was good and had some different options. But, there is not a lot of overall variety.

alextrips Mar 24, 2019 6:47 pm

You can dine at many of the restaurants at the other resorts. The oceanfront restaurant Las Brisas at the Fairmont makes for a great dinner. Lots of tasty appetizers you can order up tapas style and make of meal of. The casual oceanfront restaurant at the Rosewood Punta Bonita is great a night as well. I never made if over to the Banyan Tree but there are choices there as well. Your concierge can make arrangements. When we were there last year, Casa Amate had a nice happy hour. Good drinks and mostly good appetizers. If you go into town, be sure to try Chez Celine. Crepes and the best chocolate almond croissant I have eaten anywhere.

For those wondering, can't do anything about the seaweed. If you go, know that somedays it can be really bad. Last time I was in playa, one of the days the shore was covered with it as well has many feet out into the water. Then a day or two later it was gone.

CodeAdam10 Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm

hotel owners absorb the opportunity cost of a redeemed TSU as just a cost of being affilated with WOH. there is no direct revenue.

This is not true. Hotels ARE reimbursed by Hyatt for TSUs. Surely not at rack rate, but nonetheless, they do receive monetary compensation.

dewby Mar 24, 2019 8:16 pm

thats hilarious. How can I be a PITA. I Have not even arrived and just stating what was said. My post clearly said I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Nothing else. On my dates the difference for reference between standard room and suite is about 110 usd so not the earth and certainly not robbing the hotel. All in with taxes the rate is closer to 580. not nickel and diming this place. Being offered an upgrade that costs more than it would cost in total online is my point. Would you take that or is that your definition of a PITA. WOW.........

It is also interesting that we consider well earned benefits from a hotel programme as a drain on hotels. Many of these hotels rely on a brand to attract guests particularly in high price locations. I don’t see so many complaining about lounge access with airline partners . With WoH these are well earned benefits. I don’t have access to cheap Hyatt house hotels that many in the US do.

I wonder as a globalist if I would complain about being charged for breakfast I would be a PITA.

martinplas Mar 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer (Post 30925098)
Checked in today. Used a TSU to confirm into a beach area suite - no further upgrade, the room not ready until 3:30. It was interesting that the front desk person said that we were "upgraded"...umm... no, we got exactly what we reserved.

The seaweed issue is still ongoing, but not too bad - there's a small amount washed ashore, but the water is mostly clear. There's a breakwater offshore, so the beach is calm.

The biggest disappointment is how similar and limited all restaurant menus seem to be - we are going to have to figure out where to get some variety around here. Any recommendations? I suppose we can just cab into Playa.

the hotel will provide you transportation to and from all the other nearby Mayakoba resort restaurants free of charge. There is a good Thai restaurant and Italian restaurant st the Rosewood and Banyan tree

Kacee Mar 24, 2019 9:08 pm

hotel owners absorb the opportunity cost of a redeemed TSU as just a cost of being affilated with WOH. there is no direct revenue.

That has always been my understanding as well.

Originally Posted by dewby (Post 30924146)
as mentioned above. Of course the resort can charge for a premium suite. My point was they wanted to charge me more than what it would cost. That is wrong. Read the post.

Sorry, I couldn't get past the DYKWIA attitude.

dewby Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Don't understand.

DYKWIA attitude?? for working out it is cheaper to book a room online than take an offer from a hotel? That's smart in my mind. I hope you don't run your business with that attitude.... or indeed run someone else into the ground. Chucks...

I have not been to the resort but will soon. I am sure it is very nice and things will work out. My question to a travel community within FlyerTalk was a simple one. Did not expect PITA and DYKWIA for such a simple observation. Kacee, you should have read the post. simples. Be honest you commented without reading it.