Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

Occupancy rate

For anyone there now, how crowded is the place? Back when the whole resort was open, it never felt crowds because the resort was so large.

but with the gov mandated 30% occupancy, is it a ghost town?

or does it feel MORE crowded because everyone is corralled into the beach rooms?

thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
It would be worth it if room service was included.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Pointsloop
For anyone there now, how crowded is the place? Back when the whole resort was open, it never felt crowds because the resort was so large.

but with the gov mandated 30% occupancy, is it a ghost town?

or does it feel MORE crowded because everyone is corralled into the beach rooms?

thanks.
I was there August 17-23 and it was very very quiet, <25% Occupancy most nights. There was no competition for pool or beach chairs (unless you REALLY want the front row, then go save a spot before 1030 or tip the beach attendant the night before). The place definitely felt empty even though all of the guests and facilities were beach-side.

The only night it felt crowded was Saturday the 22nd, when they closed Sotavento due to weather, and many folks ate at Tinto for Dinner. On that note, Sotavento did fill up most nights, so I would recommend a reservation for that.

A few other notes that I've been meaning to post.

1) Al Fresco dining at the Rosewood was excellent. Highly recommended. Also did their beach tacos for lunch one day and it was good but pricey
2) Beach drink menu was b-o-r-i-n-g. Seriously nothing on there other than standard margaritas, pina colada's, etc. Highly disappointing. I'm glad I just brought my own bottle of tequila and a few mixers (supplemented with take-away juices from breakfast) and just brought my own drinks down to the beach in a yeti.
3) Disappointing that this is the ONLY resort in Mayakoba that doesn't have sailing cats for guests to use. We tipped the guy at the rosewood 800MXN to use theirs.
4) Saffron at the Bayan Tree was absolutely not worth it. Way way way way too expensive. The hotel lobby is quite impressive however, so I would maybe just go there and get a beverage.
5) We were unimpressed with the yoga (15USD pp). The hotel is empty but they basically had us do it on top of guests eating lunch on the patio of the Vegan Bar.
6) I find it odd that they are dedicating an entire restaurant to Vegan Food. I like the idea of eating healthy but it doesn't need to be Vegan to be healthy. How about adding poke bowls, for example?
7) We booked a beach area suite using a TSU and I did not get a further upgrade. Assigned room 2531 and was disappointed at first, but it was actually awesome. Super-private, great sunsets over the jungle from the balcony, and steps from everything. I would now even prefer it over an ocean/beach front.
8) While I understand the necessity, the artificial reef is quite ugly and not having real waves on the beach was very disappointing. Especially after spending a few days down on the Tulum beach which did not have this issue. This does impact all of the Mayakoba properties FYI.
9) Breakfast at Tinto was awesome. Great variety on the menu and super high quality. One of the better Hyatt breakfasts I've had in quite a while.
10) They were moving check-in/check-out to the main lobby on our last day. Super minor, but figured I would note.

Let me know if any other questions.

Last edited by roder; Sep 4, 2020 at 10:49 pm
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:56 am

@roder - thanks for the update! Where did they put the Vegan bar? Where the other bar next to Tinto used to be? I wonder what the plan is for opening the rest of the restaurants on property in the coming month....
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by madderlake
@roder - thanks for the update! Where did they put the Vegan bar? Where the other bar next to Tinto used to be? I wonder what the plan is for opening the rest of the restaurants on property in the coming month....
Yes, the other building (previously the bar) has been turned into a combination Vegan Bar, Fitness Center, and Shop/Boutique.

I don't think they are going to open the other restaurant until the gov allows them to open above 30% occupancy. All resorts are subject to the same restriction and each in Mayakoba has several dining outlets closed.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:34 am

what is the breakfast setting like? Is there outdoor seating available?

Do you know if room service breakfast qualifies for free breakfast?

are people still aloud to ride bikes?

are the boat tours still going on?

Originally Posted by roder
I was there August 17-23 and it was very very quiet, <25% Occupancy most nights. There was no competition for pool or beach chairs (unless you REALLY want the front row, then go save a spot before 1030 or tip the beach attendant the night before). The place definitely felt empty even though all of the guests and facilities were beach-side.

The only night it felt crowded was Saturday the 22nd, when they closed Sotavento due to weather, and many folks ate at Tinto for Dinner. On that note, Sotavento did fill up most nights, so I would recommend a reservation for that.

A few other notes that I've been meaning to post.

1) Al Fresco dining at the Rosewood was excellent. Highly recommended. Also did their beach tacos for lunch one day and it was good but pricey
2) Beach drink menu was b-o-r-i-n-g. Seriously nothing on there other than standard margaritas, pina colada's, etc. Highly disappointing. I'm glad I just brought my own bottle of tequila and a few mixers (supplemented with take-away juices from breakfast) and just brought my own drinks down to the beach in a yeti.
3) Disappointing that this is the ONLY resort in Mayakoba that doesn't have sailing cats for guests to use. We tipped the guy at the rosewood 800MXN to use theirs.
4) Saffron at the Bayan Tree was absolutely not worth it. Way way way way too expensive. The hotel lobby is quite impressive however, so I would maybe just go there and get a beverage.
5) We were unimpressed with the yoga (15USD pp). The hotel is empty but they basically had us do it on top of guests eating lunch on the patio of the Vegan Bar.
6) I find it odd that they are dedicating an entire restaurant to Vegan Food. I like the idea of eating healthy but it doesn't need to be Vegan to be healthy. How about adding poke bowls, for example?
7) We booked a beach area suite using a TSU and I did not get a further upgrade. Assigned room 2531 and was disappointed at first, but it was actually awesome. Super-private, great sunsets over the jungle from the balcony, and steps from everything. I would now even prefer it over an ocean/beach front.
8) While I understand the necessity, the artificial reef is quite ugly and not having real waves on the beach was very disappointing. Especially after spending a few days down on the Tulum beach which did not have this issue. This does impact all of the Mayakoba properties FYI.
9) Breakfast at Tinto was awesome. Great variety on the menu and super high quality. One of the better Hyatt breakfasts I've had in quite a while.
10) They were moving check-in/check-out to the main lobby on our last day. Super minor, but figured I would note.

Let me know if any other questions.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:07 pm

what is the breakfast setting like? Is there outdoor seating available?
Breakfast is in Tinta del Pulpo. Most seating is indoors, but the building is quite airy with large windows that are open so air is circulating pretty well. There are also three tables for two on the back patio, and some high-top/bar seating in the front.

Do you know if room service breakfast qualifies for free breakfast?
That was not offered as an option to us, and I would be highly surprised if it would be included.

are people still aloud to ride bikes?
Yes

are the boat tours still going on?
Yes, they need to be booked 24 hours in advance and are private.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
We are here now in a suite overlooking the jungle and love it. We stayed at the few places in Yucatan but this is our favourite especially price/quality ratio!

The breakfast quality is absolutely great, everything cooked to order etc...

Beach empty though the reef is ugly

Private boat tours etc all good!
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
We have cycled all around and there is quite a bit to explore.

one disappointment has been Sotavento, we tried the shrimps octopus and clams. Octopus was very nice and soft, Clams were grilled with garlic were ok but nothing spectacular. The shrimps were very disappointing, because they definitely didn’t taste fresh and the way you were peeling them must have come from some long icy storage facility. There were medium to jumbo size and one of those jumbos wasn’t cooked through.
we liked the Mexican restaurant though and will dine there again tomorrow.
vegan bar we are staying clear as we are strict carnivores
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:33 pm

Currently booked here for Christmas. Will be a points stay.

The cost per night for a standard room at $749 or 25k points. GH PDC is like 250 or $25k. Don't know how Andaz is justifying 3x the charge.

Does anyone think a couple in their early 30's would get bored here for a 5 night stay? We are probably going to have 1 day dedicated to XCARRET.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by PediDocTraveller
Currently booked here for Christmas. Will be a points stay.

The cost per night for a standard room at $749 or 25k points. GH PDC is like 250 or $25k. Don't know how Andaz is justifying 3x the charge.

Does anyone think a couple in their early 30's would get bored here for a 5 night stay? We are probably going to have 1 day dedicated to XCARRET.
It's a totally isolated resort with a large, private beach vs a "downtown" hotel on a smaller semi-private beach with other hotels/day-clubs situated directly adjacent. Neither is bad/wrong, but you typically pay for seclusion and that is why the Andaz charges more than the GH. I will note that, if you don't want to eat on-property at the Andaz or other Mayakoba hotels, then you may be better off in PDC.

Originally Posted by PediDocTraveller
The Andaz is a laid-back/chill beach resort. Not a lot of activities but perfect if you want to rest and relax by the pool or lounge at the beach. If you need to be constantly entertained, or planning on frequently going off property, then it's not the place.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roder
It's a totally isolated resort with a large, private beach vs a "downtown" hotel on a smaller semi-private beach with other hotels/day-clubs situated directly adjacent. Neither is bad/wrong, but you typically pay for seclusion and that is why the Andaz charges more than the GH.
It's also a beautiful property situated on 590 acres, with lagoons, multiple pools, and of course the private beach. Hard product is among the nicest I've ever seen. I'd pay 2x over the GH to stay there.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:02 pm

In for a night. Would a visit to the Rosewood or Banyan or Fairmont for a drink be worth the trek on the beach?

Will probably never get to stay in any of them.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
In for a night. Would a visit to the Rosewood or Banyan or Fairmont for a drink be worth the trek on the beach?

The Fairmont and Banyan tree beach areas are not that impressive. The Rosewood is beautiful but nicer during the day. That being said, I love the Rosewood beach restaurants and if I had one meal to eat in Mayakoba that's what i would choose. Its only a 5 min walk too.

The Banyan tree lobby is impressive and where I would go if you wanted to venture somewhere just for a drink. But, I would reccomend getting a ride from the Andaz in their free SUV.

Rosewood lobby is pretty, too. Fairmont is not worth the trek.

​​
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero

banyan lobby is nice.

rosewood is very close,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.