Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
I did two nights there recently. Really enjoyed it. I got the “open kitchen” plan, which is their term for all inclusive. The food, drinks and service were excellent, particularly the bar by the beach and casa amate. The open kitchen plan was only marginally more than the advance purchase rate (approx US$50) and was incredible value. US$50 would barely cover breakfast for one person with a Bloody Mary. At casa amate there were quite a few items that needed a supplement on top, but I had two excellent meals there without going for any of the supplement items. The menus are the same as those who aren’t on all inclusive. At casa amate a three course meal with a drink was working out at US$120.

I was staying in the beach section but preferred the pool in the lagoon area. It was a pleasant ~10 minute bike ride between the two areas.

The only very minor downside was that the sauna / steam room were charged for (something like US$30).

The location is pretty out of the way, so if you’re there for 5 days and want to leave the Mayakoba area (ie the handful of large resorts around the Andaz) then you either need a car or area at then mercy of taxis. A taxi to central playa del Carmen is MXN 300 from the resort, MXN 250 on the way back (unless you’re going to haggle). But in being out of the way it makes it super relaxing and serene. At times it felt like I had the whole resort to myself.

If you’re looking for pristine beaches then you might also be a bit disappointed - it’s got a nice beach area but, like the rest of that’s part of the Caribbean, is suffering from seaweed “blooms”.
Thank you for this! We got a AAA 'hot rate' of $172/night with Citi 4th night free + a 5th night on the 25% off C+P promo... put in a TSU and confirmed for 5 nights into a Beach Area Suite. Requested an upper floor based on this thread - did you have an upper floor too and what are your thoughts on that?

Of course I'm hoping we get further upgraded at check-in to the Ocean Front suite but not holding my breath

Sounds. like you got a great deal on the open kitchen plan, wow. Was that inclusive of the 15% service fee too? I'm assuming liquor wasn't included?

And yes, we're planning on totally chilling and maybe doing the taxi into PDC one eve so am prepared on the taxi situation and will report back on that too.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
...did you have any issues with baby lizards finding their way into your room or saw them hanging out around your doors and windows?
awww, cute little baby lizards, it's like an added amenity!!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
awww, cute little baby lizards, it's like an added amenity!!
like...totally!! esp when you find them hiding behind your pillows. it's like chocolate w/ turn-down service, only better.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
like...totally!! esp when you find them hiding behind your pillows. it's like chocolate w/ turn-down service, only better.
#localcolor #wheninrome
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madderlake
Sounds. like you got a great deal on the open kitchen plan, wow. Was that inclusive of the 15% service fee too? I'm assuming liquor wasn't included?

And yes, we're planning on totally chilling and maybe doing the taxi into PDC one eve so am prepared on the taxi situation and will report back on that too.
Liquor was included and it was decent stuff (not top shelf, but far better than well / local liquor).

The service fee was included, but we ended up adding 15-20% tip on everything. With the open kitchen you get a bill for the regular amount but it gets zeroed out on your check out bill.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
...did you have any issues with baby lizards finding their way into your room or saw them hanging out around your doors and windows?
Those are geckos. You will see them throughout latin america and south Asia. They are generally welcomed in homes, as they eat mosquitos and other insects.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

They're harmless. And they're cute pest control. There are no issues; they are most common in such environments.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
They scared the bejeesus out of me when they started mating (or some other) calls in my Balinese bungalow at 2am- I jumped out of bed with a start.

but yes, they are welcomed (by me as well) and beneficial.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
They scared the bejeesus out of me when they started mating (or some other) calls in my Balinese bungalow at 2am- I jumped out of bed with a start.

but yes, they are welcomed (by me as well) and beneficial.
That might have been us. Sorry.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: rego park
Originally Posted by bhrubin
That might have been us. Sorry.
is Cancun still safe to go?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hjjwill
Ah, yes. Most of Mexico is still safe to visit, contrary to media hype to the contrary. Too many Americans are just too provincial and too scared of their own shadow (or of brown people).

FWIW, we will be celebrating my 50th bday in Jan 2020 in the Yucatan, both outside Merida and near Tulum. Flying into Merida and out of Cancun. Can't wait!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by hjjwill
Yes. The tourist areas of Cancun are very very safe. However, the Andaz is NOT in Cancun.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:33 am

Updated review

Heading to the property this weekend for a 5 night stay! Will be sure to report back with any recent updates to anything that's already. been notated in this thread. Anyone else have a recent stay?
OK just wrapping up a 7 night stay here - our 4 night stay turned into 7 pretty easily as this place has seriously exceeded our expectations.

Checked in and received Beach Area Suite (as requested) at Check-In (Globalist using TSU). Absolutely LOVED the suite and Beach Area and we generally didn't leave the beach area at all during the stay except for breakfast.... but we came for the beach and surprise, there was hardly any seaweed which I was thrilled about. There was some here and there but picked up quickly and it was never an issue at all. Went swimming every day and SUP paddle boarding and the water was clear and perfect temp with hardly any seaweed. So that's the good news there!

What's great about the beach is that it's very large and private - you get plenty of space between you and others....it was in the high 80's/low 90's all week so very warm everywhere except on the beach where there was a lovely breeze that just made it so pleasant to hang out there all day. We've traveled all over the world visiting beaches and I found this one to be special. Just my two cents of course and YMMV depending on seaweed situation and time of year with crowds. Low season here is a dream though! It only rained for a couple hours for a few days then we just left the beach to have lunch so it was no biggie.

By the way, Ola Taco is now Tinta da Pulpo but still a great menu. We ordered lunch from there and it was delivered to the beach chair. 3-6 every day is Wine O'Clock promotion where wines are half price for glasses and bottles. Happy Hour at Bar Ceviche (other bar next to pool in beach area) is 6-7 every day with half price classic cocktails. And Happy Hour at Casa Amate is 5-6 with half price cocktails and wines. There's a Tostada 'pop up' at Bar Ceviche so from 6-7 you can get half price drinks and if you're hungry order Tostadas (delicious!) for 280 Pesos for 2 small ones.

That brings me to F&B - food and drinks are pricey as stated multiple times in this thread so we were prepared. We ended up spending about $100-$150/day for the two of us on Lunch/Dinner/Drinks. (Breakfast free for Globalists and we tended to eat on the later side closer to 10:30/11 so a few days that sustained us to early dinner). We are two women so again, YMMV depending on appetite Some days/nights we shared dishes which were never a problem and the portions are generally big. Usually 2 drinks each, sometimes happy hour when we could make it.

There were comments up thread that the food was disappointing and I have to disagree - personally I thought the food was one of the strong points as literally every meal we had was delicious. Had dinner at the new beach restaurant Sotavento one night and the whole fish (Red Snapper) on the grill was a standout. Appetizers and cocktails at Casa Amate was also a standout.

Another update to mention - there were bikes everywhere and readily available so that's no longer an issue. We rode them a few times up to the Lagoon area once the sun wasn't directly above and too hot. Golf carts also everywhere and readily available, we never had to wait.

What else? No breakfast at the Beach cafe in low season so we went up to Casa Milagro each day for that. Though walking by one morning I did see a sign that said 'coffee and pastries' so not sure if that's free for Globalists or not.

To answer someone else's question above - yes, those little baby lizards hang out near the doors but they never made it inside our room

Met the GM Pascal who made a special trip to breakfast yesterday to come and talk to us and thank us for extending our stay and our loyalty. A nice touch and he was lovely.

Still on property another day so any questions I can answer, let me know. We hired a transfer through the hotel to take us to Merida where we'll be doing 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency there so looking forward to that but will be sad to leave here as it's been an incredible stay and can't wait to come back again! Though I wonder how things would change in high season...LOL.

Last edited by madderlake; Aug 31, 2019 at 7:04 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
OK just wrapping up a 7 night stay here - our 4 night stay turned into 7 pretty easily as this place has seriously exceeded our expectations.

Checked in and received Beach Area Suite (as requested) at Check-In (Globalist using TSU). Absolutely LOVED the suite and Beach Area and we generally didn't leave the beach area at all during the stay except for breakfast.... but we came for the beach and surprise, there was hardly any seaweed which I was thrilled about. There was some here and there but picked up quickly and it was never an issue at all. Went swimming every day and SUP paddle boarding and the water was clear and perfect temp with hardly any seaweed. So that's the good news there!

What's great about the beach is that it's very large and private - you get plenty of space between you and others....it was in the high 80's/low 90's all week so very warm everywhere except on the beach where there was a lovely breeze that just made it so pleasant to hang out there all day. We've traveled all over the world visiting beaches and I found this one to be special. Just my two cents of course and YMMV depending on seaweed situation and time of year with crowds. Low season here is a dream though! It only rained for a couple hours for a few days then we just left the beach to have lunch so it was no biggie.

By the way, Ola Taco is now Tinta da Pulpo but still a great menu. We ordered lunch from there and it was delivered to the beach chair. 3-6 every day is Wine O'Clock promotion where wines are half price for glasses and bottles. Happy Hour at Bar Ceviche (other bar next to pool in beach area) is 6-7 every day with half price classic cocktails. And Happy Hour at Casa Amate is 5-6 with half price cocktails and wines. There's a Tostada 'pop up' at Bar Ceviche so from 6-7 you can get half price drinks and if you're hungry order Tostadas (delicious!) for 280 Pesos for 2 small ones.

That brings me to F&B - food and drinks are pricey as stated multiple times in this thread so we were prepared. We ended up spending about $100-$150/day for the two of us on Lunch/Dinner/Drinks. (Breakfast free for Globalists and we tended to eat on the later side closer to 10:30/11 so a few days that sustained us to early dinner). We are two women so again, YMMV depending on appetite Some days/nights we shared dishes which were never a problem and the portions are generally big. Usually 2 drinks each, sometimes happy hour when we could make it.

There were comments up thread that the food was disappointing and I have to disagree - personally I thought the food was one of the strong points as literally every meal we had was delicious. Had dinner at the new beach restaurant Sotavento one night and the whole fish (Red Snapper) on the grill was a standout. Appetizers and cocktails at Casa Amate was also a standout.

Another update to mention - there were bikes everywhere and readily available so that's no longer an issue. We rode them a few times up to the Lagoon area once the sun wasn't directly above and too hot. Golf carts also everywhere and readily available, we never had to wait.

What else? No breakfast at the Beach cafe in low season so we went up to Casa Milagro each day for that. Though walking by one morning I did see a sign that said 'coffee and pastries' so not sure if that's free for Globalists or not.

To answer someone else's question above - yes, those little baby lizards hang out near the doors but they never made it inside our room

Met the GM Pascal who made a special trip to breakfast yesterday to come and talk to us and thank us for extending our stay and our loyalty. A nice touch and he was lovely.

Still on property another day so any questions I can answer, let me know. We hired a transfer through the hotel to take us to Merida where we'll be doing 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency there so looking forward to that but will be sad to leave here as it's been an incredible stay and can't wait to come back again! Though I wonder how things would change in high season...LOL.
did the hotel arrange your trip to the HR Merida?
Curious also what they charged ?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:51 am

Yes they did - and believe it or not, their quote was cheaper than the outside service I found Yucatan Connection. Hyatt rate is $300 (including taxes) for a Van and YC was $320. I realize this is an expensive way to get to Merida by the way. We also looked into taking the ADO bus from PDC which would have been about a third of the price once you include taxis to and from the stations and of course we could have rented a car too, but on this trip we just wanted to press the easy button so decided to splurge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.