Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Hyatt | World of Hyatt

The Confidante Miami / Andaz Miami Beach - Unbound - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Confidante Miami / Andaz Miami Beach - Unbound - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 15, 22, 10:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Of course, you can't apply the TSU to the Cat 1-4 certs like you can to points reservations, so... trade-offs.

The whole scene is very Miami -- the pool, the beach, the bar/lobby. This place is in "Mid Beach" which is quieter than South Beach -- but still has a good vibe throughout. "South Beach" is from 20th south down to 1st -- it's a madhouse on the weekend (think Duval Street in Key West, etc.) but a fun time and worth walking through once if you've never been (personally I would just walk up Ocean Drive from say 5th to 15th Street and then pop into a bar... I like "Lost Weekend" for the pool tables and good bar food, open until 4am -- you might find me there later tonight...). I mentioned the Lincoln Road pedestrian mall above, that's also very Miami feeling and less madhouse-y.
That's a good walk for getting a taste of South Beach (except for News Cafe being closed), but SoFi ("South of Fifth") is where the classier places are now: Prime 112 (and the other Prime offshoots), Joe's, S&W, etc. If one is going to venture south from The Confidante, SoFi is the place to go.
Old Jan 15, 22, 10:32 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
That's a good walk for getting a taste of South Beach (except for News Cafe being closed), but SoFi ("South of Fifth") is where the classier places are now: Prime 112 (and the other Prime offshoots), Joe's, S&W, etc. If one is going to venture south from The Confidante, SoFi is the place to go.
Too many beautiful people there for me, LOL -- I'd probably need to grab one of those giant frozen daiquiris at Wet Willie's first before heading that far south!
MarkOK and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 16, 22, 9:14 am

Of course, you can't apply the TSU to the Cat 1-4 certs like you can to points reservations, so... trade-offs.
Ah, if can convince the family to come along, it'll be worth the points & TSU, if only for the extra room. I have some time for the Cat 4s, but should they expire, no biggie.

The whole scene is very Miami -- the pool, the beach, the bar/lobby. This place is in "Mid Beach" which is quieter than South Beach -- but still has a good vibe throughout. "South Beach" is from 20th south down to 1st -- it's a madhouse on the weekend (think Duval Street in Key West, etc.) but a fun time and worth walking through once if you've never been (personally I would just walk up Ocean Drive from say 5th to 15th Street and then pop into a bar... I like "Lost Weekend" for the pool tables and good bar food, open until 4am -- you might find me there later tonight...). I mentioned the Lincoln Road pedestrian mall above, that's also very Miami feeling and less madhouse-y.
That sounds really interesting and a fun way to spend an evening. By the way, have to ask these days, safe walking around the area at night with a family?

If you like food, I would recommend popping into Little Havana (the neighborhood) -- watch the old Cubans play dominoes in the park and then hit up Old's Havana restaurant for a proper Cuban sandwich, vaca frita, or ropa vieja (and a proper mojito with fresh sugar cane to gnaw on). I could go on.
I'm definitely doing this, and also will see if I can find some good cigars in there somewhere!

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
LOL...after the "too many beautiful people" there comment, perhaps I should avoid that on this trip, and...ah...wait for a more appropriate time to enjoy the...er...view.
Old Jan 16, 22, 11:51 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
That sounds really interesting and a fun way to spend an evening. By the way, have to ask these days, safe walking around the area at night with a family?
Things aren't like they were pre-Covid... but I don't think the violence is as bad these days as it was from mid-2020 through last summer either. There are plenty of normal-seeming crowds about this weekend... how safe you feel late at night is probably a YMMV situation but I wouldn't feel unsafe with family along Ocean Drive during daylight or until a few hours thereafter. Definitely felt safe walking near the Confidante (though as noted, there isn't much action up this way at night), i.e. to Ceviches or to the Fontainebleau.
Old Jan 16, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
For the most part, yes, but do not, under any circumstances, go to Miami Beach during spring break or for Memorial Day weekend. Can't emphasize this enough.
Old Jan 16, 22, 9:50 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pregabalin View Post
Checked in late New Year's Day and was upgraded on a points/FNC booking to the Miami Suite, which has excellent views of the city skyline, and a partial view of ocean; no balcony though which would have been nice. Interestingly, the website did not show availability of that suite, but did show an oceanfront corner suite available. Hotel seems to be pretty fully booked. The breakfast buffet has a pretty good selection, but definitely not worth the $36 + tax/service charge.
Thats the same time I checked in for a 2 night stay on the free nights certificates (I checked in at 10:30 pm). As a Globalist, I got the standard room pictured above despite asking about the upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 22, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
I was pleasantly surprised to find weekend standard room availability in late April - excited to be able to spend some beach time with my almost-expiring Cat 4 FNCs!
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jan 30, 22, 1:54 pm

Is it ok to bring a cooler to the beach packed with your own beverages/waters? Im assuming its a no go at the pool.
Old Jan 30, 22, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by dwhelan5 View Post
Is it ok to bring a cooler to the beach packed with your own beverages/waters? Im assuming its a no go at the pool.
Yes and yes. I was there over MLK weekend. Carried a cooler through the pool to the beach and no one stopped me. Beach guys even asked if I needed ice.
Old Jan 30, 22, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dwhelan5 View Post
Beaches in Florida are public. You can order UberEats and pick it up at the street very close to the beach.
Old Jan 31, 22, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dsnow0819 View Post
Yes and yes. I was there over MLK weekend. Carried a cooler through the pool to the beach and no one stopped me. Beach guys even asked if I needed ice.
I would say not by the pool or anywhere in the backyard area. there are signs up saying that you must eat your own food in your room and not the public area. This is posted after you go thru the gate to the backyard. Shouldnt be a problem carrying it thru to get to the beach
Old Jan 31, 22, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
I would say not by the pool or anywhere in the backyard area. there are signs up saying that you must eat your own food in your room and not the public area. This is posted after you go thru the gate to the backyard. Shouldnt be a problem carrying it thru to get to the beach
I was saying yes to on the beach and yes to not allowed in the pool area.
Old Jan 31, 22, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dsnow0819 View Post
I was saying yes to on the beach and yes to not allowed in the pool area.
wasnt saying otherwise, but was just pointing out how there are signs by The Backyard and nothing by the beach
Dsnow0819 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 22, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Is the street still a mess in this area? Its been about a year since Ive visited, but not hopeful on progress.
Old Jan 31, 22, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cara332 View Post
Is the street still a mess in this area? Its been about a year since Ive visited, but not hopeful on progress.
100%

Search this Thread