Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Murder at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

http://wgntv.com/2016/01/23/man-kill...cormick-place/

Pretty scary, I knew Chicago was dangerous, I wonder what Hyatt will do differently? Will it be like in Asia where guests have to go through metal detectors?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ZBigFam

Pretty scary, I knew Chicago was dangerous, I wonder what Hyatt will do differently? Will it be like in Asia where guests have to go through metal detectors?
Chicago is not dangerous in my opinion and the above comment is "sensationalism".

Hopefully the perp will be caught and brought to justice.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Quote:

Chicago is not dangerous in my opinion and the above comment is "sensationalism".
Chicago hotels sure seem to be lately! There were 3 people shot at the W Lakeshore recently as posted in the *W forum.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:07 pm

+ 1
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."

Hopefully the perp will be caught and brought to justice.
Ya. Hundreds of murders per year - Chicago is super safe!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:56 pm

Seriously? Let's not be silly. Chicago has the highest violent crime rate of America's largest cities, 60% higher than the per capita rate of LA. It's murder rate per capita is almost FOUR times what NYC is. Few cities report a weekend with like 15 homicides a weekend. Chicago is a violent and dangerous city. It is not San Pedro Sula, but to act like it is Tokyo or small town America is absurd.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Agreed. it's not a safe city, it's also a very divided city. The majority of the homicides in Chicago happen just a few blocks, or a mile or two just south of the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place.

Originally Posted by antonius66
Seriously? Let's not be silly. Chicago has the highest violent crime rate of America's largest cities, 60% higher than the per capita rate of LA. It's murder rate per capita is almost FOUR times what NYC is. Few cities report a weekend with like 15 homicides a weekend. Chicago is a violent and dangerous city. It is not San Pedro Sula, but to act like it is Tokyo or small town America is absurd.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Don't see how said murder relates to Hyatt Gold Passport.

Chicago is a great city. This thread is total garbage.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Don't see how said murder relates to Hyatt Gold Passport.

Chicago is a great city. This thread is total garbage.
Agreed. Crime happens everywhere, it just happens that over the past few years, Chicago has become the poster child for bad crime.

You could easily throw in Miami, D.C., Houston, Detroit, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Jersey (pick a city), Oakland, Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans, Portland or Atlanta in as "dangerous" cities.

This probably belongs in the Travel News or Omni/PR forum.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:01 am

Will it be like in Asia where guests have to go through metal detectors?
Huh? Which Asia do you mean??

I'm travelling frequently through quite some Asian countries (incl. China, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE, Bahrain..) and never had seen a metal detector at a hotel...do you mean maybe countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan etc.? - they're not really the "mainstream" countries I would take about.. (I've seen metal detectors in Europe, though..)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:16 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

I'm travelling frequently through quite some Asian countries (incl. China, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE, Bahrain..) and never had seen a metal detector at a hotel...do you mean maybe countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan etc.? - they're not really the "mainstream" countries I would take about.. (I've seen metal detectors in Europe, though..)
Last August at Grand Hyatt Jakarta all visitors had to go through metal detector.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Last August at Grand Hyatt Jakarta all visitors had to go through metal detector.
For the last 15 years. Significant scrutiny of the car in the drive then a real scanner to get into the lobby. I'm glad of it ( although a bit sorry that it's necessary).
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Just two weeks ago in the Philippines every hotel, Sofitel, peninsula and Hyatt city of dreams had bomb sniffing dogs and metal detectors with Pat downs if you set the detectors off.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

HUH? The only time I saw a hotel using a metal detector on guests was a local (nonchain) hotel in Istanbul. In Bali, at the entrance to the property, guards would sometimes look underneath taxis.

No evidence of metal detectors in South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, or Thailand.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Agreed. Crime happens everywhere, it just happens that over the past few years, Chicago has become the poster child for bad crime.
Ya - thats because Chicagoans keep killing each other at a rate of... I dont know 468 per year.

http://time.com/4165576/chicago-murd...ngs-rise-2015/

Lovely city... so safe and pristine.

"Chicago had more homicides than any other city in 2015, according to the Chicago Tribune."

Sit on ones laurels Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.