Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
When you become a Globalist, do you typically book a room without lounge access to save 5K on awards or do still book it to guarantee access?

Seems like a simple question but I see a lot of people using their access passes when they're globalist.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SawBo
When you become a Globalist, do you typically book a room without lounge access to save 5K on awards or do still book it to guarantee access?

Seems like a simple question but I see a lot of people using their access passes when they're globalist.
As a Glob, I'd never pay for lounge access as it's a guaranteed benefit.

From what I've seen here and on other social media, most Globs think the access passes are useless. The only ones using them are booking multiple rooms at Asian properties to assure access for the guests in the additional rooms.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:38 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by SawBo

as a globalist, you always have access to the lounge. no need to book a club level room.
I have used my club lounge access vouchers for co-travelers in a separate room, to guarantee access, although typically they grant access for up to 3 rooms (this is based on my experience on a 3 week and a 2nd 2 week trip in the US where I had booked 3 rooms in my name.

I do not have any use otherwise for these awards, as I will hit LT Glob this year. They could be of use for those Globs who drop down a level in the following year..
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Can someone explain the benefit (Globs only?) where you can make an award reservation but not fund it w/points until ~7 days out? Saw it referenced in another thread. Does this have to be done via a Concierge / calling in?

Would love to do this for an upcoming stay so I can minimize how many points I need to send over from Chase UR (vs. letting some hotel stay / WOH Visa points roll in before then).

Thx.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:37 pm

[[[[[

Last edited by beltway; Apr 22, 2024 at 9:15 am Reason: ho el
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beltway
If you’re an Explorist as noted in your profile, this isn’t an option.
I am at 59 nights, so back to my question thanks
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Can someone explain the benefit (Globs only?) where you can make an award reservation but not fund it w/points until ~7 days out? Saw it referenced in another thread. Does this have to be done via a Concierge / calling in?

Would love to do this for an upcoming stay so I can minimize how many points I need to send over from Chase UR (vs. letting some hotel stay / WOH Visa points roll in before then).

Thx.
Which thread? I've never heard of this option though I've never been in a scenario where I didn't already have the points required
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Which thread? I've never heard of this option though I've never been in a scenario where I didn't already have the points required
Did Hyatt change its Diamond award booking policy?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:50 am

Thx.
It's called a courtesy award booking (or at least they know what I mean when I say that), and I've last done it within the last year or so. Just tell the WoH agent / concierge you'd like to make one. I get the impression that it's purposely left a little at the discretion of the agents to approve and isn't a formal benefit, so as not to be ridiculously abused. However I've had 2-3 trips (which I intended on taking) held in such a manner at the same time before, so I think a small handful is ok.

One thing I've seen change in the past few years with it is that now (either manually or automatically) WoH sweeps accounts with such bookings and slowly takes points for them as you earn them / transfer them in. Which is fair, but alarmed me the first time I saw points disappear and not know why.

They'll send you a few email reminders as you get close to that 7 day limit, but do make sure you don't miss it as it turns into a regular rate booking (which may not be reconvertible to point stay if availability for that is gone).

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; Aug 2, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds good and thanks. Do the points sweeps take you to 0, or do they just round to the nearest 1,000 or something like that?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:50 am

Sounds good and thanks. Do the points sweeps take you to 0, or do they just round to the nearest 1,000 or something like that?
IIRC, it's to the nearest 1,000.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm trying to understand how to obtain LT globalist status. So I know that there has to be 1 million LT base points. If it's 5 base points per dollar, then Hyatt is basically asking its members to spend $200k in spending?

Will the Chase WoH Visa help with achieving status or getting LT status?

Will award stays help contribute to earning LT status?

So what is an eligible rate? I'm not saying this is possible as I don't know anything about Hyatt, but let's say I get them to pricematch an OTA for a lower price or call and obtain a lower price, will that still qualify as an eligible rate?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm trying to understand how to obtain LT globalist status. So I know that there has to be 1 million LT base points. If it's 5 base points per dollar, then Hyatt is basically asking its members to spend $200k in spending?
Yes

Will the Chase WoH Visa help with achieving status or getting LT status?
No

Will award stays help contribute to earning LT status?
No, unless you have incidental spend that you earn base points on during the stay

So what is an eligible rate? I'm not saying this is possible as I don't know anything about Hyatt, but let's say I get them to pricematch an OTA for a lower price or call and obtain a lower price, will that still qualify as an eligible rate?
Yes, that's an eligible rate assuming you went thru the Best Brice Guarantee process
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes

No

No, unless you have incidental spend that you earn base points on during the stay

Yes, that's an eligible rate assuming you went thru the Best Brice Guarantee process
Thanks Jason!

With regards to the $200k, I'm assuming that will be in USD? What about for stays abroad? I spend more time travelling in Asia than any other continents.

I don't know what is the "best price guarantee" process, but if I were to just call the hotel and even negotiate a long term stay rate, will that qualify? Would I have to remind the rep to check if it qualifies as an eligible rate?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:10 pm

Thanks Jason!

With regards to the $200k, I'm assuming that will be in USD? What about for stays abroad? I spend more time travelling in Asia than any other continents.

I don't know what is the "best price guarantee" process, but if I were to just call the hotel and even negotiate a long term stay rate, will that qualify? Would I have to remind the rep to check if it qualifies as an eligible rate?
Always in USD. Stays outside the US are converted to USD using Hyatt's exchange rate and points are calculated off that. Just did it for the Andaz Costa RIca.

Hyatt BRG
https://www.hyatt.com/info/best-rate-guarantee

I have no idea whether a negotiated rate with the hotel would count. My gut says yes, but not sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.