Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by wiivile
Can you book a standard room at a refundable cash rate and then switch it to a points reservation at a later date?
If an award room is available. However booking, and then cancelling, does not guarantee anything and won't open an award room if it's not already present.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If an award room is available. However booking, and then cancelling, does not guarantee anything and won't open an award room if it's not already present.
I rebook refundable cash rates with points, and refundable point rates with cash, all the time. It's easy to cancel one and book the other.

But Yes exactly -- you can't be confident that award availability will be there later. Most often, I find award availability for properties all the way until the stay, points+cash availability goes much more often though and really can't be counted on existing in the future, and there is a decent enough chance 'resort' like properties over a peak travel time will likely stop taking point bookings months out. Thus, I would never 'count on it'.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I have lower status with you but I'll give you my thoughts. I have stayed at Grand Hyatt, Andaz and Park Hyatt. On an upcoming stay in Tokyo I opted to go back to the Andaz. I was just much more impressed with it than the others. The Grand Hyatt is probably the closest to a metro station, but I felt more like a number there than an individual customer. It wasn't bad per se but there just seemed to be waits for everything from check in to concierge. Pretty much every time I needed something I had to wait around where at the other properties I didn't. Recently I asked on here if I should do Andaz or spend some extra points and book a club room at grand hyatt. The consensus seemed to be go with Andaz over club room. I was somewhat disappointed by the park hyatt. I used my free nights there, but I could never imagine spending the type of money they charge on the room rates. The room I got was ok but the hotel felt dated. The bed was great and the concierge guy gave me a good day trip idea. Still i'm not returning to the park hyatt this time. If you were going to get upgraded to a suite or something then that may very well change the calculations, since some of the suites look quite good. None of them are bad properties. its more of a matter of where your priorities lie.
Thanks for the input. I decided that the free breakfast and other perks of club access at the GH were worth it for our first 3 nights since there are 5 of us traveling. But we will be returning to Tokyo for our final night and I think I'll book that at the Andaz based on all the great feedback.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Rene23
Thanks for the input. I decided that the free breakfast and other perks of club access at the GH were worth it for our first 3 nights since there are 5 of us traveling. But we will be returning to Tokyo for our final night and I think I'll book that at the Andaz based on all the great feedback.
Yea I think only top level status gets the free breakfast buffet at the Andaz, although its not super expensive and seems highly reviewed. Makes sense with that number of people to get the free breakfast at GH. I didn't pay for it last time but I may consider it for one of the days on this trip. One neat thing about the Andaz was that the minibar is stocked with thngs like soda and snacks which are free and they will restock it for you. The alcohol drinks have to be paid for though. Still not sure sure I have ever been in a hotel that gives you free stuff in your room minibar beyond water not the same thing has having access to a lounge of course. I rarely stay at Andaz properties so maybe that is a thing with their brand. I have a stay at the Andaz in Shanghai so it will be interesting to compare.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I have two separate bookings in Hong Kong Hyatt Tsim this month. On both stays I was told that I could not use points to get access to the club lounge there. I am currently Explorist but understand that any passes I had already expired in Feb 2018. Is there any other way for me to get access? Do they ever sell it as an additional charge at checkin? I am there on business and the lounge is really a great place for me to unwind at night etc. Appreciate any suggestions. I have stayed at thsi hotel many times previously but always had a club room or passes to get in.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Marriott Rewards
I am trying to book Grand Hyatt Seattle for July. A few weeks ago, I had reserved some nights using pts+cash. I went back to try to add on some additional nights but no longer see the Pts+cash option. I only see either pay all with pts or pay all with cash.

Did Hyatt get rid of the pts +cash option?

Also, I am getting my annual reward night in June. Since the GH Seattle is Cat 4, can I book hotel with credit card and have them apply the reward night later and cancel credit card reservation?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:30 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by th79ft
I am trying to book Grand Hyatt Seattle for July. A few weeks ago, I had reserved some nights using pts+cash. I went back to try to add on some additional nights but no longer see the Pts+cash option. I only see either pay all with pts or pay all with cash.

Did Hyatt get rid of the pts +cash option?

No, Hyatt did not get rid of points + cash. P+C availability is at the discretion of the property, and a property may or may not offer P+C as a booking option for any given night.

Originally Posted by th79ft
Also, I am getting my annual reward night in June. Since the GH Seattle is Cat 4, can I book hotel with credit card and have them apply the reward night later and cancel credit card reservation?
If an award night is available, you can book a reservation using the award night. Assuming you booked a refundable rate using your credit card, you may cancel the original reservation as long as you're complying with the cancellation policy when you made the reservation. Note that cancelling your credit card reservation generally will not open any award space if it's not already available.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I have 2 of the 'better' free nights from my Hyatt credit card last year that I need to use up. I want to gift it to my brother visiting NYC in an upcoming weekend. I guess PHNY is the most expensive. However, the problem is that my brother and his wife might want to bring another couple on the trip. Would a 4-adult occupancy be possible at PHNY using my 2 free nights? What is the procedure in booking? For most IHG hotels in most places, I can put additional guest names and I don't even have to show up. Not sure if this is easy/possible for using Hyatt certs... If PHNY is not possible, what other Hyatt properties are good in Manhattan?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA
Does being an Explorist get any kind of benefit, discount, or anything when planning a catered event? That is, is there any reason to associate my Explorist WOH account with the event that we are planning at my work?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Does being an Explorist get any kind of benefit, discount, or anything when planning a catered event? That is, is there any reason to associate my Explorist WOH account with the event that we are planning at my work?
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...explorist.html
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Nothing other than a boatload of points.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Aventine
Nothing other than a boatload of points.
A work friend of mine is planning a $50,000+ catered event for our company at the Hyatt Centric Times Sq. So basically I have to beg her to link the event with my WOH account so at least someone benefits from the points? Nobody else even has an account. A shame to leave all those points on the table... lol
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:16 am

Wondering if Hyatt has any promos for new members? I know Marriott and SPG both ran promos at one point where if you stayed twice you'd get a free night (cat 1-5). Hoping they may have something similar, but have not been able to find anything as of yet.

Or maybe even something similar to what Hilton offers with new members joining from a certain organization/company that stay 4 times in 90 days (or something to that affect) will move up a tier?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:17 am

Benefits with third-party booking

Hello
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. I have an upcoming stay at the HR Tokyo and the reservation was booked as part of a flight & hotel package through a travel agent (not direct on Hyatt.com). I understand that I won't get points for my stay, however I was hoping I would get some of the other benefits of being an Explorist, e.g preferential room. I've tried adding my booking reference to my Hyatt booking however it cannot locate it (it is an alpha-numeric booking reference, not the standard one you get when booking direct). Should I contact the hotel directly (Hyatt global reservations centre were unable to help me).

Does anyone have any advice on this situation? I'm assuming making a third party booking must be quite common. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Voda_boy; Apr 28, 2018 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
points and miles

Planning to stay at Hyatt Regency first time to avail the AMEX $60 credit for $200+ stay.

Can I get both Hyatt points and Airline (say AA) miles for the same stay? Or is it one of the two?

Note I'll be staying at Hyatt Regency so not to be confused with the 1000 AA bonus miles offer at Hyatt House properties.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.