Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
More Expensive to Book Two Nights in One Reservation than Each Night Separately?

We were looking to book two nights in Washington DC during the holidays. I was playing around with dates to see what sort or prices I could find. I checked for a Thursday and Friday night at either Hyatt Place and was quoted $144 per night - however if I booked Thursday separately then Friday I was quoted $93 per night. Anybody come across this pricing issue before? Should I just book the two nights separately?

Thanks

Last edited by zutalors; Nov 28, 2017 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:56 pm

Sooo....I have always heard that if a standard room is available then we can use world of hyatt points to book it. I had a Hyatt agent tell me that the hotel can require several night minimum. Is that accurate? If so, what's to stop us from booking minimum 3 nights and then canceling 1 or 2 of the rights.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:43 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by zutalors
We were looking to book two nights in Washington DC during the holidays. I was playing around with dates to see what sort or prices I could find. I checked for a Thursday and Friday night at either Hyatt Place and was quoted $144 per night - however if I booked Thursday separately then Friday I was quoted $93 per night. Anybody come across this pricing issue before? Should I just book the two nights separately?

Thanks
That's very common with Hyatt - yes, book separately and you can ask the concierge here on FT or call reservations to have the two reservations linked.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:47 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Sooo....I have always heard that if a standard room is available then we can use world of hyatt points to book it. I had a Hyatt agent tell me that the hotel can require several night minimum. Is that accurate? If so, what's to stop us from booking minimum 3 nights and then canceling 1 or 2 of the rights.
That's correct, if a standard room is available you can book with points. There may be a minimum stay requirement. I think it depends on the hotel if you can change the reservation. give it a try, book the minimum, then call reservations and change, see what happens.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:41 pm

Noobie question - can I combine my Hyatt points with my spouses? How is this done?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Looking for advice -- should I use a Cat 1-4 Free Night Certificate or do a P+C booking (7,500 points + 100 USD) at the Park Hyatt Saigon in January? I have booked one room under each 'rate' but can't quite decide which to keep. I guess my question is, how much do I value a free night certificate (expires in October 2018) vs. the points and cash?

I will lose my Globalist status at the end of Feb if that makes any difference.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Noobie question - can I combine my Hyatt points with my spouses? How is this done?
You can combine points by transferring from one account to the other so long as they are active.

BTW, how many spouses do you have since an account can only receive points once per 30 days.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
You can combine points by transferring from one account to the other so long as they are active.

BTW, how many spouses do you have since an account can only receive points once per 30 days.
Lol just one spouse. Do I need to call Hyatt to make the transfer?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:12 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Looking for advice -- should I use a Cat 1-4 Free Night Certificate or do a P+C booking (7,500 points + 100 USD) at the Park Hyatt Saigon in January? I have booked one room under each 'rate' but can't quite decide which to keep. I guess my question is, how much do I value a free night certificate (expires in October 2018) vs. the points and cash?

I will lose my Globalist status at the end of Feb if that makes any difference.
I'd do the Points + Cash. Here's why.

A Cat 4 is worth up to 15K points. The Points Guy says that Hyatt points are worth 1.8 cents. So let's do the math:
  • 15K points @ 1.8 cents = $270
  • 7.5K points + $100 = $235
However, the main question is whether your Cat 1-4 might otherwise expire. If so, it's FAR better to use the certificate which might expire. $235 worth of value in hand is worth far more than $270 in "I might use it or I might not" value.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:42 pm

Glad this is flame-free, since this is pretty basic but I've tried to search. On a Points + Cash booking, is the Cash part charged at the time of booking, or the time of the stay?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rove312
Glad this is flame-free, since this is pretty basic but I've tried to search. On a Points + Cash booking, is the Cash part charged at the time of booking, or the time of the stay?
Points get deducted when you make the reservation, you are charged the cash portion at check in/out.
rove312 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'd do the Points + Cash. Here's why.

A Cat 4 is worth up to 15K points. The Points Guy says that Hyatt points are worth 1.8 cents. So let's do the math:
  • 15K points @ 1.8 cents = $270
  • 7.5K points + $100 = $235
However, the main question is whether your Cat 1-4 might otherwise expire. If so, it's FAR better to use the certificate which might expire. $235 worth of value in hand is worth far more than $270 in "I might use it or I might not" value.
Thank you!

How valuable are the points when used towards Club Upgrade rates? I Could see this potentially being useful after I am downgraded from Globalist next year.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It depends on the club. In some, I value it at $50 a day, in others, about half that much.

It really is about how you eat & drink. If you're OK with a continental breakfast and beverages all day long, then it may not be worth that much to you. But if the club also puts out a nice spread in the evening and it's enough for you to actually make a meal of it every now and then, then it is worth more.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Thank you!

How valuable are the points when used towards Club Upgrade rates? I Could see this potentially being useful after I am downgraded from Globalist next year.
Isn't it 6,000 pts per night for a club upgrade?

I would have a hard time burning points that way. 6,000 pts is worth something on the order of $100-$200 if used for straight-up booking rooms, and usually the club-upgrade cash price is less than that.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the input. I am keeping both my reservations but am leaning towards cancelling the Free Night and keeping the Points & Cash booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.